Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2424 Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailists View Post

I am running a 14' diagonal, and the 5000 was not bright enough to be run without BC. With the 6000, I don't beed BC. It's much sharper and brighter than the 5000. I would not invest any more into the 5000, especially if they are selling 6000's that cheap.

I heard it mentioned that Benq is soon doing a replacement for the 20000, but didn't hear anything about a 6000 replacement, other than hearing that they are readying a line of 3D capable units.

I am incredibly impressed with the 6000 (and am a professional editor and colorist and projector user for 10 years).

Interesting! What is your screen gain? I am planning on an AT screen (gain 1.0) 163"Wx63"H (14.5' diagonal in a 2.40 format - see my build thread below in my signature) and was thinking of the BenQ. Would my arrangement work? Do you use an anamorphic lens? How far is the projector from the screen and how high is it from the screen? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2424 Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 AM

Okay... here goes.

Purchased this projector recently for $1499 (great deal IMO).

There were many complaints on how awful the picture was straight out of the box. My family and I must have horribly calibrated EYES because it didn't look bad at all. We watched a few movies for a few days before I had time to work on the calibration.

Now I realize some of you freaks (and I truly mean that in the most flattering way) have very developed visual acuity and can spot a single pixel that is off-color but I am a simple man and not that skilled.

I used the “simple man’s” calibration BD – Disney’s WOW. I worked on it for hours, going over every step I could (no ISF stuff- not that brave). After hours, I had it as close as possible to what the disc said was optimal. I noticed a SLIGHT difference. It looked great – just not overwhelmingly different.

After a few days I was playing a PS3 game (Modern Warfare 2). In a specific scene you use night vision and everything is green and dark. I could hardly see the picture. The image was way worse than BEFORE I calibrated it.
I switched to the preset “DYNAMIC” mode and it looked great! Now this was a little frustrating considering the hours I put into the custom calibration. Here is a quick rundown of my settings and the Dynamic- default settings.

Totally dark room / HDMI setup

User 1 (my personally set settings)
Brightness 59
Contrast 49
Color 48
Tint 1
Sharpness 6
Black Level 0
Lamp Native
Gamma Selection 2.2
Brill Color On
Dynam Blk On

Dynamic setting (out of box)
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 6
Black Level 0
Lamp Native
Gamma Selection Benq2
Brill Color On
Dynam Blk On

NOW, what made a huge difference in the settings was the Gamma. On my personal settings I switched to the Benq2 (although WOW was pretty clear to use 2.2). As soon as I switched it made all the difference.
So at the end, I am left feeling confused. I want the best settings I can get (obviously). Should the default Dynamic setting really look better than what took me hours to set up using the WOW disc?

I know most of you are probably thinking “If you like Dynamic best, just shut up and enjoy- why make it difficult?” To that I say “I don’t know.” I guess it comes down to this:

I want the full potential my projector has to offer. If the out of the box setting is what SEEMS to be the best, I feel I might be missing something. I have no idea what a professional ISF guy would charge to come in and push a few buttons but I think this is what I might have to do.
post #1083 of 2424 Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 AM

Darth,
What's your screen size and gain?
post #1084 of 2424 Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

Darth,
What's your screen size and gain?

I bought my screen years ago.... I don't really have a clue. (I know that is annoying to you HT gurus). It's a Da-Lite...I think model B. 46x82 (94 diag) - a modest screen
post #1085 of 2424 Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Choke View Post
Okay... here goes.

Purchased this projector recently for $1499 (great deal IMO).

There were many complaints on how awful the picture was straight out of the box. My family and I must have horribly calibrated EYES because it didn't look bad at all. We watched a few movies for a few days before I had time to work on the calibration.

Now I realize some of you freaks (and I truly mean that in the most flattering way) have very developed visual acuity and can spot a single pixel that is off-color but I am a simple man and not that skilled.

I used the “simple man’s” calibration BD – Disney’s WOW. I worked on it for hours, going over every step I could (no ISF stuff- not that brave). After hours, I had it as close as possible to what the disc said was optimal. I noticed a SLIGHT difference. It looked great – just not overwhelmingly different.

After a few days I was playing a PS3 game (Modern Warfare 2). In a specific scene you use night vision and everything is green and dark. I could hardly see the picture. The image was way worse than BEFORE I calibrated it.
I switched to the preset “DYNAMIC” mode and it looked great! Now this was a little frustrating considering the hours I put into the custom calibration. Here is a quick rundown of my settings and the Dynamic- default settings.

Totally dark room / HDMI setup

User 1 (my personally set settings)
Brightness 59
Contrast 49
Color 48
Tint 1
Sharpness 6
Black Level 0
Lamp Native
Gamma Selection 2.2
Brill Color On
Dynam Blk On

Dynamic setting (out of box)
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 6
Black Level 0
Lamp Native
Gamma Selection Benq2
Brill Color On
Dynam Blk On

NOW, what made a huge difference in the settings was the Gamma. On my personal settings I switched to the Benq2 (although WOW was pretty clear to use 2.2). As soon as I switched it made all the difference.
So at the end, I am left feeling confused. I want the best settings I can get (obviously). Should the default Dynamic setting really look better than what took me hours to set up using the WOW disc?

I know most of you are probably thinking “If you like Dynamic best, just shut up and enjoy- why make it difficult?” To that I say “I don’t know.” I guess it comes down to this:

I want the full potential my projector has to offer. If the out of the box setting is what SEEMS to be the best, I feel I might be missing something. I have no idea what a professional ISF guy would charge to come in and push a few buttons but I think this is what I might have to do.

Hey Darth. As a rule of thumb, the Dynamic setting on devices usually is the most color inaccurate.

I would advise the following. If you have calibrated your projector brightness to the correct levels using the WOW disk (IE you do not have any black crush) I would leave your projector settings in the mode which you calibrated it.

I too have COD MWF2 and can attest to how dark it can be. In the game settings there should be a menu that allows you to adjust your brightness level. Use the brightness and contrast ramp in COD to get you levels corrected.

Also, make sure your PS3 is outputing the correct levels and is in the correct color space. (16-235 YCbCr) I do not have a PS3, so I do not know where you would go to check that.

Maybe a PS3 user can chime in with the answer.

On another note, Do you like the projector?

Devo
post #1086 of 2424 Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM

Hey darth, where did u get it for that price? I know its its not available at that price as of today but I can keep an eye out for it to drop down again.

Jonathan
post #1087 of 2424 Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post

Hey darth, where did u get it for that price? I know its its not available at that price as of today but I can keep an eye out for it to drop down again.

projectorpeople.com had a Christmas special.

could not pass that deal up!!
post #1088 of 2424 Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble Devo View Post

On another note, Do you like the projector?

I like the projector a lot. Had a old 480 res inFocus projector so this is on another planet good. Just struggling with getting the calibration dialed in.
post #1089 of 2424 Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I have had very good results from these machines. More information on my services are here www.accucalhd.com/pricing.htm. If you are interested in a pro calibration. FYI your settings look off to me.
post #1090 of 2424 Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Thing is...if you spend $400 on a calibration you're not going to immediately like the way it looks, as you're used to it looking punchier, brighter, cooler (blue-er) maybe even slightly sharper (with ringing)...you really have to commit to watching it for a few weeks after the calibration (and vow to your calibrator never to switch back and forth)...then, after you've gotten used to it when you switch back to DYNAMIC you'll think you're looking at abstract art...and, in a way...you are!

BTW, I too have heard rumors of a possible Benq 30K w/ possible 3D, LED, etc (...and even maybe a flux capacitor!) but no word on the 7K. I'm dying for news...
post #1091 of 2424 Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So it looks like I'm a new owner , not here yet and I need to figure out what ceiling mount I need to go with. It's in the basement and my ceilings are low so I will be flush mounting it to the ceiling. So I have a drop ceiling so that should make it easy to install but wondering what a good mount that is easy to work with, chief etc...Thanks.

War Eagle!!!
post #1092 of 2424 Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

One more information tidbit, I missed out on the december/january promotion, but sent them an email this morning about if they were going to have a lower price deal in the forseable future. Couple of hours after I sent the email I received a call from a Benq Rep and she informed me that while we are not likely to see that pricing any time soon that she did have several demo units that they were going to be placing on their website, and that she would call back once that happened with the details. She called back after an hour or so and said that they were now on the site for purchase at $1,499. I asked her about the warranty and said they would come with the same warranty as new (1yr) with free ground shipping, I asked about if they had new bulbs she said no but that they would have at least 80% of the expected life and if DOA they would ship a replacement. I went ahead and pulled the trigger since I was really wanting the projeector and it was out of my price range but this allowed me to do it...hopefully everything will work out....Hopefully someone might find this useful

Here is the website if anyone is interested.... http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=257

War Eagle!!!
post #1093 of 2424 Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

So it looks like I'm a new owner , not here yet and I need to figure out what ceiling mount I need to go with. It's in the basement and my ceilings are low so I will be flush mounting it to the ceiling. So I have a drop ceiling so that should make it easy to install but wondering what a good mount that is easy to work with, chief etc...Thanks.

I picked the Chief. Very easy to install and adjust, and sturdy:
LL
post #1094 of 2424 Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM

At 1499 that is a great deal.

Jonathan
post #1095 of 2424 Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

I just used this projector over the weekend for a large public event.
The screen was 16'x9' (215") diagonal. Black out cloth.
The movie was Rocky Horror Picture Show and we had 150 people for two showings.
IT looked Awesome. Anybody on the fence over this projector should not think twice.
IT is a light cannon and with little calibration puts out an incredible picture.
For reference I compared it in my theater to an optoma HD70 and it was not close.
Brighter of course and much better color accuracy. It is 1080p vs 720p on the HD70 so not a big surprise but the difference was Huge.
If your going larger than normal screen size or need the extra Lumens due to ambient light than look no further.
I paid about 2k so if one can get this at 1499, I cant imagine a better choice in that price range.
Here are some pics but with full sunlight from a wall full of windows and tons of ambient light so not a very good example.

Jonathan
post #1096 of 2424 Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Sorry cant figure out how to post pics for the life of me.

Jonathan
post #1097 of 2424 Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

So which cheif mount did you go with the RPAU mount, or some other one? Thanks for the post....

War Eagle!!!
post #1098 of 2424 Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So which cheif mount did you go with the RPAU mount, or some other one? Thanks for the post....

The SKU was KITPD003. Complete kit with 2.5 inch column I believe. I think the mount is RPAU.
post #1099 of 2424 Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 PM

What panamorph lense is recommended for this projector? Also how much do they run?
post #1100 of 2424 Old 03-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
One more information tidbit, I missed out on the december/january promotion, but sent them an email this morning about if they were going to have a lower price deal in the forseable future. Couple of hours after I sent the email I received a call from a Benq Rep and she informed me that while we are not likely to see that pricing any time soon that she did have several demo units that they were going to be placing on their website, and that she would call back once that happened with the details. She called back after an hour or so and said that they were now on the site for purchase at $1,499. I asked her about the warranty and said they would come with the same warranty as new (1yr) with free ground shipping, I asked about if they had new bulbs she said no but that they would have at least 80% of the expected life and if DOA they would ship a replacement. I went ahead and pulled the trigger since I was really wanting the projeector and it was out of my price range but this allowed me to do it...hopefully everything will work out....Hopefully someone might find this useful

Here is the website if anyone is interested.... http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=257
Did they charge you tax? My total is coming out to be $1,607.68 (including tax).
post #1101 of 2424 Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi View Post

Did they charge you tax? My total is coming out to be $1,607.68 (including tax).

I got the same deal as bishopt. No sales taxes were added, since I am in Missouri.

If BenQ is in your state, then they need to charge you sales Tax.
post #1102 of 2424 Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Just sent my W6500 in for repair, the fan would always go at full blast even with the lamp on economy, and the auto iris was very noisy even with dynamic black off.

And the other day it suddenly started to dim the lamp at regular intervals so the image went very dark. Had to power cycle to fix it.

This is at approx. 300 lamp hours. Mine was built in Sep 2009 so must be an early unit, I got it as a dealer demo. Had firmware 1.0. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.
post #1103 of 2424 Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjacks View Post

I got the same deal as bishopt. No sales taxes were added, since I am in Missouri.

If BenQ is in your state, then they need to charge you sales Tax.

Sent it to my other brother in AL no tax no shipping.

Thanks bishopt. I have been itching to get this projector for a while now. Patience paid off. Will post back when I get it.
post #1104 of 2424 Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Is anybody running a A lense with this projector? Which one and how much do they run?
post #1105 of 2424 Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Thinking about getting the refurbished W6000 and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which extended warranty to get and place to get them from?

TIA
post #1106 of 2424 Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM

I have a refurbished one coming from Cleveland Plasma - great guys to work with. I didn't bother with an extended warranty this time around. It should be here Wed. the 16th.
post #1107 of 2424 Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM

call Benq directly. Usually manufactors sell extended warranty on their refurbished products. Sony 4 years extended warranty is only $199 on items costing $1000-1500 range.
post #1108 of 2424 Old 03-12-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan View Post

call Benq directly. Usually manufactors sell extended warranty on their refurbished products. Sony 4 years extended warranty is only $199 on items costing $1000-1500 range.

Thank you. Will call them on Monday.
post #1109 of 2424 Old 03-12-2011, 05:11 AM

second option is Square trade. But they will only pay the total of the projector price paid for all the claims during the lifetime of the warranty period. e.g. 1st claim 400, 2nd claim 1000. so you can only get $100 for 3rd claim(assuming projector price is 1500).

You can wait for 90 days to buy it though!
post #1110 of 2424 Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Politby, I notice your W6000 is cream - a lot like a W6500 !

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page