Benq w6000 - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2424 Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any suggestions on a mount that can handle an extension? I bought one last night (pm me if you're looking for the best deal on this unit) and I need to drop down almost a foot to go through the drop ceiling. I didn't see anything in the chief mount that would allow for an extension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2424 Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post
Any suggestions on a mount that can handle an extension? I bought one last night (pm me if you're looking for the best deal on this unit) and I need to drop down almost a foot to go through the drop ceiling. I didn't see anything in the chief mount that would allow for an extension.
Could you frame out a mount above the drop ceiling with 2X4's? I have considered a long extension for mounting our projectors but worry about the level of Bass from the subs (multiple tapped horns). I am thinking that mounting to a frame sitting just above the ceiling panel would allow for less vibration and a more solid mount.

Alternately, you might talk to a local machine shop about building you a simple extension to the exact length you desire. I would not think it would cost to terribly much.
post #1173 of 2424 Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutigers View Post

Cantthinkofaname, how well does the DI function? In other words, can you see the screen get brighter and dimmer when it works, like on the credits at the end of a movie or any scene with a bright image on a black background? How much difference does the DI make in the blacks? Have you tested some movies with the Iris on and off? I am considering this projector, but have concerns about the DI, in terms of noise level, function and reliability (somethinge else that could break or malfuction). I previously owned the HC4900, which has poor blacks, and I could always see the iris working. I like the brightness and sharpness this projector has to offer, but wondered if I could turn off the iris and still be happy with the blacks (that is if the iris bothered me). My other thought is if I was not going to take adavantage of the iris by turning it off, maybe I would be better off getting a projector like the HC4000 that doesn't use an iris and save a few bucks. Not sure how the blacks compare between these two. Just wondered what your thoughts were on this matter.

mizzo, I'll just echo what joesyah said. Last night we watched Tron. Talk about high contrast. Without going on too much, I thought it looked pretty damned good, EVEN THOUGH I finally saw the iris working. And for the most part, I only noticed on the subtitles, which turned a little gray on dark scenes. It really wasn't enough to bother me. The rest of the scene would look fine. I thought the iris worked very nicely and relatively seamlessly (compared to our Vizio LCD tv's dynamic black).

I'm really starting to like this PJ quite a bit, so much so that the ONLY thing I don't like now is the high-pitch whine of the iris. It's pretty loud and can be distracting if you're that type of person. When the movie volume is loud, I don't care, but during quiet scenes, it could be a deal breaker if you get bothered by stuff like that. My wife didn't hear it, but she was asleep for half the movie.

I might try to watch the same movie with the DI off, but that will have to wait till next week as I'm going out of town this weekend.

Hope this helps you a bit. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff is pretty subjective.
post #1174 of 2424 Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

I am considering buying BenQ W6000 and Seymour AV 130 Inch diagonal AT screen.
I am trying to figure out how hard will it be to switch the aspect ration between 1.78 and 2.35. Can this be automated with a series of commands to the rempote?

Does anyone know when the next BenQ model will come out?

Thanks
post #1175 of 2424 Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Does anyone know if the BenQ W6000 will receive the remote signal from the front as well as the rear?

Our ceiling installation is in the center of the room and needs to control the projector from the front and the rear depending on application. We had an older NEC that only had front remote reception and it was a royal pain.

Curious about same question with the BenQ SP890 as well. Assuming the answer is the same since they seem to be built in the same case.

Thanks!
post #1176 of 2424 Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM

I don't know about from the rear but in my experience if I point at the screen with the OEM or a Universal remote it has no problem responding. I have it mounted on a shelf behind me and I do not have to point the remote toward the projector just the screen. The BenQ remote is not as strong as the Universal but if it is pointed at the screen it works fine.

nater
enjoying HD and SOUND
post #1177 of 2424 Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Is there anyone out there using BenQ W6000 with 2.35 screen?
How do they switch between 2.35 and 1.78 content?
If I have a universal remote can I make this process easier?
This the only thing I need to know I make my decision.

Thanks
post #1178 of 2424 Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

Is there anyone out there using BenQ W6000 with 2.35 screen?
How do they switch between 2.35 and 1.78 content?
If I have a universal remote can I make this process easier?
This the only thing I need to know I make my decision.

Thanks

I was more or less doing this for the last 3 years.
You can see this by clicking on my signature.

The differences are that it was a Benq W5000, but the throw and zoom is similar to the W6000. Also, the zoom latitude wasn't quite enough to get me the same image-height at 2.35

As the Benq is a manual zoom and lens shift, a (universal) remote won't be much help. This will need to be done by hand.
Only takes a few seconds though, so no big deal, and beats the hassle and caveats of using an anamorphic lens!!!

For the record, the Panasonic PT-AE4000 is the only pj with automated zoom & shift for 2.35. I wish there were more....
post #1179 of 2424 Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

For the record, the Panasonic PT-AE4000 is the only pj with automated zoom & shift for 2.35. I wish there were more....

Or add DIY motorized controls, such as a servo-motor system with a control board that supports IR remote, a rubberized gear system attached to the lens and zoom controls, etc...

If you look in a telescope forum, people do it all the time to telescopes. Maybe not for the faint of heart though.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1180 of 2424 Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Ok so I just got a great deal on this unit last night and made the purchase.

When I looked up the specs it doesn't really give good details on the hz refresh rate. Does anyone know the correct answer?

Also I have been eyeballing the 3d VIP theater. What are the chances the 3d VIP will work with my new W6000?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Mike
post #1181 of 2424 Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Anyone have to replace a lamp yet?

The best price I can find them for is $350.

Any other suggestions?

I don't need it just yet however I would love to order a spare.
post #1182 of 2424 Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
I don't own this PJ (have a Mits HC3800), but I did just see it in action @ Fry's in Burbank. It was projecting on a HUGE screen, like 14ft across. Fry's has what essentially is a small commercial theater. I think I've been in a small commercial theater that had a screen of the size that's in Fry's theater room. The W6000 was in a projection booth, projecting through a VERY dirty hand-prints glass. The blu ray was that animated Owl movie. No one was in the room so I turned the lights off, but couldn't turn one of the lights off. Anyway, wasn't super bright but it was very watchable and impressive. Who knows the lamp hrs on this PJ, it seems to be on all day every day!

I don't need that kind of horsepower, but if I did (gigantic screen), this PJ is a good choice!
post #1183 of 2424 Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiiermike View Post

Anyone have to replace a lamp yet?

The best price I can find them for is $350.

Any other suggestions?

I don't need it just yet however I would love to order a spare.

299 at the Benq.us site-----
post #1184 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 AM

My w6000 should be arriving any day now. I'm a little confused about the Benq online screen calculator (here). Do I need to put the unit above to the top of the screen? If not, is it good practice? I'm a little confused because the calculator on the other site did not state that this particular model needed to be above/below the screen (it does for other models).

Also, I'm planning on having the pj hanging down on one side of a beam and shooting to the other side of the beam. Is there some material that I could put on the beam that would minimize glare and reflection? Or am I better off trying to attach the pj to the bottom of the beam and thus lessening both the throw and the amount of low ceiling?
post #1185 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 AM

I know this a stupid question but when mounting the 6000 on the ceiling should it be inverted -can it be?
post #1186 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post

My w6000 should be arriving any day now. I'm a little confused about the Benq online screen calculator (here). Do I need to put the unit above to the top of the screen? If not, is it good practice? I'm a little confused because the calculator on the other site did not state that this particular model needed to be above/below the screen (it does for other models).

Also, I'm planning on having the pj hanging down on one side of a beam and shooting to the other side of the beam. Is there some material that I could put on the beam that would minimize glare and reflection? Or am I better off trying to attach the pj to the bottom of the beam and thus lessening both the throw and the amount of low ceiling?

The pj does not have to be mounted above the screen, it doesn't seem to make much difference here but generally the less lens shift the better. The beam should be as dark as possible with a non-glossy finish for best results (as should everything else).
post #1187 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

The pj does not have to be mounted above the screen, it doesn't seem to make much difference here but generally the less lens shift the better. The beam should be as dark as possible with a non-glossy finish for best results (as should everything else).

Thank you, that is what I thought until seeing the chart on their page. I guess it would make the most sense for me to lower the pj as much as possible so that I get it away from the beam and closer to the center of the screen.
post #1188 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

On a whim I picked up one of these for a good price but seem to be having a bit of a problem with the default iris setting. Each time I turn on the projector the max iris setting changes, it started at 74 then after a few days went to 66 then 53 and today after turning it on it has defaulted to 71. Anyone know a specific method to save a setting, nothing I've tried will hold through a turn-on/off cycle.

Thanks.
post #1189 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Been following this thread for a while, finally settled on the W6000 for my theater room.
Mine arrived today! Now I am anxious to finish the room, drywall getting installed within the next week or so.....

I think I am going to try a DIY painted screen first with the BEHR Silverscreen paint a black edge boarder for budget reasons. The room is light controlled in my basement and I am planning a 135" 16:9 screen with a throw of 15' 9".
I know there are some other threads on this, but has anyone tried a painted screen with the W6000.
post #1190 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:

On a whim I picked up one of these for a good price but seem to be having a bit of a problem with the default iris setting. Each time I turn on the projector the max iris setting changes, it started at 74 then after a few days went to 66 then 53 and today after turning it on it has defaulted to 71. Anyone know a specific method to save a setting, nothing I've tried will hold through a turn-on/off cycle.

Thanks.

Hughman,

I noticed exactly the same thing and eventually found the solution - it's strange but seems to be consistent. Whatever you set it to in the service menu it will then reduce it by 12 as soon as you change mode, such as changing from User1 to User2. If you want a setting of 74, you need to set it to 86, then after you have changed mode at least once, you will find that it stays at 74 - very odd , but like I say - it is consistent.

Tim
post #1191 of 2424 Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanto View Post
Hughman,

I noticed exactly the same thing and eventually found the solution - it's strange but seems to be consistent. Whatever you set it to in the service menu it will then reduce it by 12 as soon as you change mode, such as changing from User1 to User2. If you want a setting of 74, you need to set it to 86, then after you have changed mode at least once, you will find that it stays at 74 - very odd , but like I say - it is consistent.

Tim
Can't thank-you enough, my offset was 13 but it worked. In ISF mode I increased the DB max to 92 then turn ISF off and the DB max reduced to 79 (setting I prefer) turning ISF mode back on and it sticks even after turning the PJ off and on again.

Kind of a bizarre anomaly but at least your workaround remedies the problem. I have to admit I figured there was no way in hell someone would have a solution (Benq tech wasn't quite as helpful as I anticipated) so I had the box pulled out and ready to go. Thanks again.
post #1192 of 2424 Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 AM

I have a basic calibration problem with my Benq maybe someone can help me with. I use the HD DVE disc to set brightness and contrast. I tried to adjust the black level with the brightness pattern which has 4 gray boxes in the middle and 3 bars on either side, one which goes deeper than black the others being slightly above black. Whatever I do I just can't see any of them on my picture. I tried setting brightness and contrast to max and min, played with gamma and DI on/off. There are no bars on the screen. What is going on? Can you owners send me in any direction?
post #1193 of 2424 Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolme View Post

I have a basic calibration problem with my Benq maybe someone can help me with. I use the HD DVE disc to set brightness and contrast. I tried to adjust the black level with the brightness pattern which has 4 gray boxes in the middle and 3 bars on either side, one which goes deeper than black the others being slightly above black. Whatever I do I just can't see any of them on my picture. I tried setting brightness and contrast to max and min, played with gamma and DI on/off. There are no bars on the screen. What is going on? Can you owners send me in any direction?

To unclip that information you'll need to change the HDMI format from Video to PC. Go to the advanced setup menu then into HDMI settings. It will be required to reduce brightness increase contrast to calibrate using this setting.
post #1194 of 2424 Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM

I changed the setting in the HDMI menu and played the HD DVE disc but I still have the original problem. Am I missing something obvious here?

Nice HT room btw!
post #1195 of 2424 Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolme View Post

I changed the setting in the HDMI menu and played the HD DVE disc but I still have the original problem. Am I missing something obvious here?

Nice HT room btw!

Thanks. If the info is still clipped go into your blu-ray players menu and reduce brightness and contrast a click or two, when work the PJ controls to see if blacker than reference black and whiter than reference white pass then.
post #1196 of 2424 Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question about projector placement. I will purchase BenQ W6000 in near future.
My screen size is 117 inches wide. It is a 2.35 screen.
Projector Central calculator Pro says that throw distance should be 19 feet.
When we calcuate the throw distance is it from the front of the projector or the center of the projector?
We have to come up with the design of the room and I want to make sure that I can come up with the precise location of the projector.

Thanks
post #1197 of 2424 Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

Thanks. If the info is still clipped go into your blu-ray players menu and reduce brightness and contrast a click or two, when work the PJ controls to see if blacker than reference black and whiter than reference white pass then.

I will try this tonight.

Quote:

I have a question about projector placement. I will purchase BenQ W6000 in near future.
When we calcuate the throw distance is it from the front of the projector or the center of the projector?
We have to come up with the design of the room and I want to make sure that I can come up with the precise location of the projector.

Thanks

I believe it would make sense to put the throw distance measurements from screen to lens of the projector unit.
post #1198 of 2424 Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolme

Coolme

Have you checked your Black Level setting, sounds like it might be on 7.5 IRE, if it is then try it on 0 IRE

Tim
post #1199 of 2424 Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM

I have my black levels set on 0 IRE, I tried also 7.5 IRE.

My bluray player doesn't have the options to set brightness and contrast individually, there's only one setting concerning black and it's either Normal or Enhanced and I tried both. MY BDP is a Philips BDP7500, I've looked in the manual to find something else but there's really no clue. What else am I not thinking about?
post #1200 of 2424 Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks

I think you will need to have the projector somewhere between 12' and 18' back from that screen (measured from the lens to the screen).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page