AVS Forum banner

Benq w6000

404K views 2K replies 374 participants last post by  w6000owner 
#1 ·

Benq w6000

Availability - "mid 2009 for 2000 euros (= ~$2500 US // $3200 CAN)"

(I know - technically this should be in the under $3000 forum but since it replaces the w5000 and the price on this is not officially announced it would be appropriate to at least announce this here?)

Across the pond, at CEBIT 2009, seems Benq has announced the w5000's replacement . . . . Obviously limited info so far but the highlights (gleamed from translated German and Italian coverage) include -

1. Instead of white it now comes in black piano lacquer

2. The W6000= 43 x 14.5 x 31.8cm weight of 19lbs

(vs W5000= 49 x 18 x 42cm weight of 21lbs)

3. Listed at 2500 ANSI lumens (vs 1200 for the W5000)
2500 normal mode and 1100 cinema mode

4. Listed at 30 000:1 Contrast ratio (vs 10 000:1 for the w5000) **Note the cnet report I got this from lists 50 000:1 but the crop here looks like it says 30 000:1. Anyway, its a big number.

5. 280 watt lamp (vs 200 watt on w5000)

6. Lamp life is the same 2000 / 3000 if economy

7. States still has vertical and horizontal lens shift (I think the w5000 only had vertical), but one of the german forums mentions its manual, not motorized as on the w5000

8. LOUDER at 32 normal / 29 eco compared to the w5000 at 28db

9. 2 HDMI (1.3 presumably), component, a VGA connection, S-video and Composite.

10. HQV technology and 6 segment color wheel

So basically compared to the w5000 its cheaper (excluding refurbed w5000s), piano black, smaller, brighter and has better contrast, yet louder and without motorized lens shift. . . . .

See less See more
#1,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21258001

The center of the lens can only be about 6" above the top of the screen.

Thanks coderguy, that's what I thought it was. It's about the same as W7000 and I'm sure the formula is the same. Unfortunately, I'm about 7.5" above. Looks like DLP is not for me yet.

#1,830 ·
I have a 120" screen and the PJ will be mounted at about 15' (+ or - an inch). The screen is 1.1 gain (Vapex). Will this be OK WRT brightness, RBE, zoom etc? (Will be painting this weekend, so maybe next weekend I'll actually be able to hook up PJ).

#1,831 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy /forum/post/0

Thanks coderguy, that's what I thought it was. It's about the same as W7000 and I'm sure the formula is the same. Unfortunately, I'm about 7.5" above. Looks like DLP is not for me yet.

Hey EJ.

Remember that the projector mount you use will add height to the projector of at least 1 inch (depending on mount), thus you might be ok. I ran into this with mine, but the chief mount I used added about 2 inches of height from the ceiling and I was fine.

#1,832 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy /forum/post/21258191

That is easily close enough, and remember it's 6" above the center of the lens not the top of the projector, but regardless of how you figured it, you are close enough.

#1,833 ·
Hi guys, getting the W6000 for a main floor family room setup, mixed day/night viewing. Going to get the Eastporters Elune II Perlux-Silver Fixed Frame (1.4 gain). It's going on a wall that's 160" wide. Can't decide between 120" and 128" for screen size. Seating about 16' back from screen. Could mount PJ anywhere 15'-21'.

Suggestions for screen size and mount distance? Thanks!

#1,834 ·
Hi guys,

I just received my W6000 and have it shooting at a 100 screen, 17' throw, 12' viewing distance.

One thing I have noticed while watching Kill Bill Blu-ray is what looks like faint noise on flat white surfaces. Almost like watching static but much less pronounced. This happens even when the video is paused.

It occurs using both the HDMI and component connections from my Blu-ray player; but I don't know yet if it occurs from other video sources.

Does this artifact sound familiar to anybody?

I'll try to see if it shows up in any screen shots.

Thanks.

#1,835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOutThere /forum/post/21280495

Hi guys,

I just received my W6000 and have it shooting at a 100 screen, 17' throw, 12' viewing distance.

One thing I have noticed while watching Kill Bill Blu-ray is what looks like faint noise on flat white surfaces. Almost like watching static but much less pronounced. This happens even when the video is paused.

It occurs using both the HDMI and component connections from my Blu-ray player; but I don't know yet if it occurs from other video sources.

Does this artifact sound familiar to anybody?

I'll try to see if it shows up in any screen shots.

Thanks.

I had the same problem. I was shooting on a 110" screen about 13ft back.

Turning off briliant color and moving it back 2 ft greatly reduced the artifacts. I barely see them. I also calibrated it also....the basic calibration...

#1,839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis /forum/post/21282069

... better left off, if you're after accuracy.

I was going to say; Brilliant Color doesn't' sound that brilliant.

Thanks guys. I'll turn BC off and I plan to calibrate tonight; I am sure that will spruce things up.

#1,841 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 /forum/post/21283224

I've seen several people mention the RBE effects on Sin City. Is it because of the special effects or because it's B&W.

My wife and I love old movies and I have no idea if we are RBE sensitive but if it's worse with B&W it'll be a deal killer.

Look on the previous page starting at post #1812. The RBE specific to sin city were discussed extensively...

#1,843 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 /forum/post/21283518

True, but as I'm reading the thread in reverse some people see the RBE in the menu as well which is B&W.

As mentioned in my posts on the previous page, part of it has to do with areas of extreme contrast borders, like in a menu or sin city which is more like a black and white comic book; sharp borders of extreme contrast (full black bordering full white, etc.).

B&W movies tend to have a softer contrast difference, with graduations of greyscale, etc. It does depend on the B&W movie, but in general, it probably won't nearly be as bad as sin city.

That being said, B&W movies can suffer from RBE more than a color movie, though not like sin city. A lot of it depends on the contrast graduations in the image.

#1,844 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 /forum/post/21283224

I've seen several people mention the RBE effects on Sin City. Is it because of the special effects or because it's B&W.

My wife and I love old movies and I have no idea if we are RBE sensitive but if it's worse with B&W it'll be a deal killer.

I seen RBE pop up frequently on movies with light/candle flicker like in the Harry Potter series or anytime there is a dark scene with bright objects.

Keeping your head/eyes still and not blinking frequently will help reduce rainbows.

IMO, I believe everyone sees rainbows.

It just a matter if you can tolerate them popping up here and there.

Some see them more than others.

Race your head left to right to left quickly and you will see them.

#1,845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/21284712

I seen RBE pop up frequently on movies with light/candle flicker like in the Harry Potter series or anytime there is a dark scene with bright objects.

Keeping your head/eyes still and not blinking frequently will help reduce rainbows.

It just a matter if you can tolerate them popping up here and there.

Some see them more than others.

Race your head left to right to left quickly and you will see them.

1+

Being raised on DLP tech, I can tell what a single chip (with color wheel) set is just by shaking my head, I see flashes of colors.

#1,846 ·

Quote:

It helps if you have this equipment
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1DCun3U9M

Quote:

I have never seen them. It's not a matter of opinion.

#1,848 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/21286474

Agreed..I'm the only one out of 20 plus that have viewed my projectors that can see them. So ..yeah...its a fact not everyone can see them.

I'm sure some people are more susceptible than others and I think the same can be said for projectors. I have owned a few DLP projectors and thought they didn't exist for me. That is until I used the W6000 and found them readily available. Not bad enough they were a deal breaker but certainly bad enough that I couldn't avoid them. Like other artifacts I'm sure some people see them yet they fail to capture their attention.

#1,849 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21286569

I'm sure some people are more susceptible than others and I think the same can be said for projectors. I have owned a few DLP projectors and thought they didn't exist for me. That is until I used the W6000 and found them readily available. Not bad enough they were a deal breaker but certainly bad enough that I couldn't avoid them. Like other artifacts I'm sure some people see them yet they fail to capture their attention.

Yeah..unfortunately I've seen them on every DLP I've experienced. Well except for the Runco LED DLP..didn't see them at all on it. I've learned how to not see them. So not a deal breaker for me either.

#1,850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/21286474

Agreed..I'm the only one out of 20 plus that have viewed my projectors that can see them. So ..yeah...its a fact not everyone can see them.

I bet anyone can easily be trained to look for them.

Just need the right lighting & material displayed.

Once you spot them, there's no going back.

In my house, it was 4 out of 4 people who seen them. That's 100%.

All not related. Wife, 2 friends and myself.

3 thought they didn't see them until I pointed them out or they were scared to speak up thinking I might think they are crazy for seeing flashes of rainbows.

I've never seen them on DLP RPTV or in store demo's for projectors.

Then I get a DLP in house and now I see them.

I wished my brain was ignorant to them to because the W6000 PQ was pretty sweet.

I could reduce seeing RBE by keeping eye movement steady but I would see a flicker here and there. There's no way I could accept seeing these flashes of rainbows even though the PQ was good.

It's like driving a Ferrari and having the engine stutter intermittently as you are cruising.

Nice drive but the engine stutter becomes an annoyance even though the cruise is nice.

#1,851 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/21286608

I bet anyone can easily be trained to look for them.

Just need the right lighting & material displayed.

Once you spot them, there's no going back.

In my house, it was 4 out of 4 people who seen them. That's 100%.

All not related. Wife, 2 friends and myself.

3 thought they didn't see them until I pointed them out or they were scared to speak up thinking I might think they are crazy for seeing flashes of rainbows.

I've never seen them on DLP RPTV or in store demo's for projectors.

Then I get a DLP in house and now I see them.

I wished my brain was ignorant to them to because the W6000 PQ was pretty sweet.

I could reduce seeing RBE by keeping eye movement steady but I would see a flicker here and there. There's no way I could accept seeing these flashes of rainbows even though the PQ was good.

It's like driving a Ferrari and having the engine stutter intermittently as you are cruising.

Nice drive but the engine stutter becomes an annoyance even though the cruise is nice.

I totally understand, I was over a friend's home watching one of the new big Mits DLPs. I didn't see the first RBE. The image on those units are amazingly crisp and saturated. It put my Sharp LCD to shame! lol

And it is much brighter than my plasma.

92 inches of beautiful, bright, engaging image! If I didn't feel 92 inches were too small. I'd skip projection and grab one of those TVs!

#1,853 ·
Everyone can probably see it at some point with certain types of test (like a trailing mouse on a 4x wheel with a projector that has a high native contrast), but not everyone sees it the same even at the same test, and within certain viewing content it may be impossible for some to see while others can see it much clearer.

The reason reportedly has to do with biological differences in peoples eyes and brains, as well as their viewing habits. The exact amount of biological vs. viewing habit is not known.

Generally speaking, RBE will be increased if:

1) A larger screen and you scan the screen more

2) A brighter image

3) You are watching dark movies with some bright spots in them

4) Any high contrast scenes with very dark blacks moving across or near brighter objects, even if not completely dark across the entire scene,

5) Your eyes are tired or sleepy, which makes it harder for them to smoothly view the content

My theory is those of us that see RBE are all smarter than the guys that do not (just kidding), so we are geniuses and the rest are not. That's why when I have company over to do the test, I first give them an IQ test to see if they know what a rainbow is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.