Long Throw 5k+ lm Projector & Lens - Any Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS Forum! All the threads I've found on long throw PJs have been over a year or have dealt with much smaller throw ratios.

The throw distance is ~70 ft with an 15' wide screen (4:3-225" diag | 16:9-206.5" diagonal). The required throw ratio should be around 4.7:1 so a long throw lens will most definitely be required.

It will be used in a large venue that is funnel shaped going from 180 ft in the rear to 80 ft in the front. The lighting can't be dimmed so high light output is critical. Resolution-wise XGA sounds good. Bulb life and maintenance are considered factors as well as preferably being a dual (or quad) bulb design. Weight is not a consideration as it will be stationary and not mobile. It will be used to display local camera feeds of the event for a few weeks and then re-tasked to presentation type duties therefore I don't believe the tech (DLP/LCD) to be such an important consideration.

So far I have come up with the Epson PowerLite Pro G5350 with their Middle Throw Zoom Lens #2 (V12H004M05) which would accommodate the 4.7 throw ratio. Another option I have found is the NEC NP4000 with a 10ZL lens.

I am unsure if a 5000/5200 lm PJ will be bright enough for such a great throw distance with the lights on. What are your thoughts?

Please do offer up any advice on projectors, lenses, or anything really!

Looking to stay under $10k. My apologies on the long post; just trying to be thorough and detailed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Bump...
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Have you tried the projector search function at projectorcentral.com?

Noah
post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have search online extensively but was looking to see if anyone had any experience with this.

For instance I'm not quite sure how many lumens will be necessary with such a long throw distance. Also finding projectors that match the lumen requirements and have such a long throw lens isnt as quick and easy.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page