Dust in my Sony VPL-VW60, how to clean? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 308
While taking my Panamorph UH-380 a-lens off to put lock washers up to fix the "droop" issue I posted in another thread, noticed some dust appears to be on the internals of my Sony VPL-VW60.

Hard to see in these picts but I can see it on the lenses.

My bulb has 950 hours, I've never opened up the PJ besides cleaning the air filter.

I've been pretty anal about covering the whole PJ with bath towels when doing any of my work in the HT and then vacuuming the dust prior to towel removal.
I don't notice it on screen, but now that I've seen it I'd like to clean it.
Or, should I follow the sages advice "if it ain't broke don't fix it" for this?

There also seems to be some dust in my UH-380 a-lens, I've read threads about others taking their a-lens apart and cleaning it.

I've read "don't use computer compressed air, it squirts blobs of moisture, use C02 air instead".

Did a search before posting but could not find any posts.

Any advice on a DIY cleaning is appreciated, thx avs guys (and gals).

fwiw,
I called my dealer on the way home today, he was going to check with Sony, I told him paying $$$ for service cleaning is out of the question, so I'm looking for real world owner cleaning method/process from Sony (via him).
I don't put the manual lens cover ever on, frankly it's a pia to do so, I see the newer Sony pj's have an auto lens cover, so I wonder if Sony acknowledged this as an issue and upgraded their newer line-up as a countermeasure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can you see any problems on the screen? If not, I would let it be. Seems you would have more potential to create more problems by trying to clean it, especially if you can't see problems on screen due to the dust.

Dan
post #3 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I second that motion. A scratched lens from a cloth will give you nightmares. Don't clean unless you absolutely have to or something on the screen is visible. I try never to touch my projector lenses EVER.

If the anal part of you just can't help it, compressed air in the form of a camera lens cleaner with a brush . Just blow by using the bulb, don't use the brush unless necessary.

If that is still not enough for you then use a good quality microfiber lens cleaner cloth and lens cleaning liquid. You can do a search and find the best ones on this forum.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thx guys;
I'll wait until my dealer gives me advice.

If anyone has done this (as DIY dust cleaning) on a Sony VW10/40/50/60/100 series let me know how it went for you.

The dust is not on the outer lens you can easily clean, but rather I'll say the internal len(s).

I've read this has a sealed light path?
If so, thats from the SXRD panels until the 1st lens, but after that dust could settle on the other internal len(s)?
(I'm guessing here)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never been a big fan of using compressed air to clear away dust as there are situations where it merely forces dust into new places that are impossible to get at, sometimes with disastrous results. I either use a lens brush or very careful vacuuming. My VW-60 also has a few specks of dust in there too but I'm not going to worry about it.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 01:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Can you see any problems on the screen? If not, I would let it be. Seems you would have more potential to create more problems by trying to clean it, especially if you can't see problems on screen due to the dust.

Dan

On a similar note, I have a Runco CineWide projector and the vertical compression lens seems to have a fingerprint ON THE INSIDE of one of the glass elements. And this IS slightly visible on screen. What in the world do I do about that? If anything....
post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM

I have a Sony VW40 and I have similar dust "specks" but I would have to agree with a few of the earlier replies stating that if it is not visible onscreen and the only time you notice it is when you're looking *at* the projector itself, I say leave well enough alone.

This is a risk assessment: In my opinion, the benefit of having a clean looking lens does not outweigh the possiblilty of a permanetly scratched/damaged or stained lens (especially when the dust is a non-issue when viewing).
post #8 of 12 Old 04-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

thx guys;
I'll wait until my dealer gives me advice.

If anyone has done this (as DIY dust cleaning) on a Sony VW10/40/50/60/100 series let me know how it went for you.

The dust is not on the outer lens you can easily clean, but rather I'll say the internal len(s).

I've read this has a sealed light path?
If so, thats from the SXRD panels until the 1st lens, but after that dust could settle on the other internal len(s)?
(I'm guessing here)

I had a VW100 that had some issues which I sent to Sony svc in Laredo. When I got it back they had cleaned the lens and it had microscratches. It really bothered me as I'm particular with never touching my lenses no matter how dusty they get. Fortunately these scratches were not visible on screen.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to have a Pearl (same as yours in most respects) which I took apart in ways even Sony does not I removed the optical block and converged all the panels and I had the lens apart, I've had the RS1 lens apart, Benq W10K, etc. My point is I've done it a lot! Unless you are VERYx1000 careful, you WILL put grease on the lens and spend hours or days trying to clean it, you will scratch it, but that will be nothing compared to the mess you will make trying to remove the grease! If you send it to Sony, they will put the grease on the lens for you! Unless you are like me and are willing to learn from mistakes over many projectors I will say DON'T F.... TOUCH IT
post #10 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thx for feedback;
The student listens to the teacher(s), those that have lived it and learned.

I will NOT try cleaning the internals, the inside dust while there does not appear at all on screen - as currently observed, sure it is doing "something", but if trying to clean it is difficult for 1st timer, then I'll pass for now.

I can see some on my a-lens as it is projected out, just for my observations I have some plexiglass sheet I'll hold in the light path to see how that dust "disappears" as it spreads further out towards the screen.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Dan

Agreed. That small amount of dust is not in the focal plane so I doubt you'd ever notice it. Not worth taking the risk of openning and causing more issues.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I noticed I have a fingerprint on the lens of my pj. Any suggestions on what to use to remove it. It isn't visible unless you look at the lens. Thanks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP