Official JVC RS20 / HD750 Calibration and CMS thread (NEW FIRMWARE V1.1) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

In any case you should be able to come very close to UMR's settings if your using the undamaged Eye1Pro correctly.

Even though one calibration was made with ~500 hrs on the lamp, and the other with ~ 1000hrs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Even though one calibration was made with ~500 hrs on the lamp, and the other with ~ 1000hrs?

Yes ! if any, change will be typically very slight.
Search wm"s (William Phelps) postings on calibration changes and lamp hours.
post #903 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes ! if any, change will be typically very slight.
Search wm"s (William Phelps) postings on calibration changes and lamp hours.

Well, it's certainly possible that I have things to learn about using the I1Pro; but I do note that the pic is much deeper, with more realistic colors than what I had before.
post #904 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Bill - was the UMR calibration done on low bulb? That could be the reason for the difference now. How different is your pro from the D2 w/ diffusor close to the pj? If the UMR calibration was on low bulb, can you check the pro's readings on low bulb to see how much it shifted over time from what UMR got?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #905 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

UMR's previous calibration to your projector could not have changed very much if at all in 500 hours and is very likely still dead on accurate.

I think there is some confusion here.

I do not know about possible damage to the i1pro, but my understanding is that Millerwill is specifically referring to his GREYSCALE calibration, while I think JimmyR is referring to the GAMUT calibration.

While it is true that Umr's gamut calibration should still be very valid 500h later, as the gamut calibration doesn't shift much when the lamp ages, even when moving from low to high lamp, it is definitely my experience that greyscale calibration would have shifted considerably in such an amount of time, especially when going from low to high lamp.

The improvement Millerwill describes is exactly what should be expected, as he would have updated the greyscale calibration (which would be expected to be off by now) onto umr's gamut calibration (still valid).

Millerwill, could you please confirm which it is that you have updated?
post #906 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

What you are seeing are the errors with the eye one pro. It is not very accurate for these products.
post #907 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Bill - was the UMR calibration done on low bulb? That could be the reason for the difference now. How different is your pro from the D2 w/ diffusor close to the pj? If the UMR calibration was on low bulb, can you check the pro's readings on low bulb to see how much it shifted over time from what UMR got?

Yes, the calibration was done on low lamp, and -7 aperture, with ~ 500 hrs on the lamp. When it was done, the grayscale looked perfect and and colors were great.

Perhaps it is mainly due to going to high lamp and 0 aperture, and also with now ~ 1000 hrs on the lamp. But the original calibration results look much to red, and one can easily see this in the grayscale ramps itself. With the grayscale I've just done with the I1 Pro, the grayscale ramps look perfectly neutral, and the colors look spectacularly natural.

You figure.
post #908 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I think there is some confusion here.

I do not know about possible damage to the i11pro, but my understanding is that Millerwill is specifically referring to his GREYSCALE calibration, while I think JimmyR is referring to the GAMUT calibration.

While it is true that Umr's gamut calibration should still be very valid 500h later, as the gamut calibration doesn't shift much when the lamp ages, even when moving from low to high lamp, it is definitely my experience that greyscale calibration would have shifted considerably in such an amount of time, especially when going from low to high lamp.

The improvement Millerwill describes is exactly what should be expected, as he would have updated the greyscale calibration (which would be expected to be off by now) onto umr's gamut calibration (still valid).

Millerwill, could you please confirm which it is that you have updated?

Yes, Manni, just as you describe.
post #909 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Manni, just as you describe.

Then you are fine, and have done the right thing!

Edit: at least as far as calibration is concerned. I don't know if you may have damaged the i1pro by reading that close, I would do the test suggested byJimmyR with Calman to check no harm was done.
post #910 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, the calibration was done on low lamp, and -7 aperture, with ~ 500 hrs on the lamp. When it was done, the grayscale looked perfect and and colors were great.

Perhaps it is mainly due to going to high lamp and 0 aperture, and also with now ~ 1000 hrs on the lamp. But the original calibration results look much to red, and one can easily see this in the grayscale ramps itself. With the grayscale I've just done with the I1 Pro, the grayscale ramps look perfectly neutral, and the colors look spectacularly natural.

You figure.

High lamp will shift the gray scale to the red side. The i1 Pro will not be correct unless you bias the readings. They are not accurate for DILA.
post #911 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The i1 Pro will not be correct unless you bias the readings. They are not accurate for DILA.

Not in my experience. The i1pro allows to get a close to perfect greyscale on the HD750/RS-20, at least at 30 IRE and above. I have had my i1pro-calibrated PJ checked by a professional in charge of internal screenings at Paramount, and he didn't say "what is this piece of c**p", on the contrary.

Below 30IRE, a tri-stimulus like the d2 trained to the i1pro provides more consistent and accurate results. Below 10IRE, I guess no equipment within the hobbyist reach can really be trusted, apart from the eyes of those who know how to use them (ie not me).

I'm sure better equipment will allow to lower your dE even further. Whether it makes a difference visually, I would need to see with my eyes (or rather with better eyes).

I'd say a d2 gets you 90% there, an i1pro 99% there, and IF you can see the difference, then you need something/someone else to make the last 1%.

I personally believe that at that level, the difference comes more from the experience of the calibrator than in the tools themselves. I have no doubt that Nadal would beat me on a tennis court even if we swapped rackets, if you see what I mean. And I'm convinced that a professional calibrator would get a better calibration on my PJ using my lowly i1pro than if I was using a holy PR-700 meter.

This being said, I also believe it's a disgrace not to tell Millerwill right away that he is right, that his greyscale would need to be adjusted after 500 hours, and that his i1pro is a fine tool to achieve very decent results.

Although I truly believe in the benefit of a good calibration, I think it would be fair to accept (and even encourage) a customer to maintain the calibration themselves by adjusting the greyscale, instead of insisting that nothing but a $$$$$$$$$$$ tool can do so. It doesn't seem fair to encourage people to get their display calibrated, and when a minority is passionate enough to invest the time and the money to learn to do (some of) it themselves, tell them they don't have the right tools.

Agreed, the i1pro is not perfect, and you can make a real bad job with it if you don't know what you're doing, but provided you use it properly it does allow you to get very decent results. In fact, updating a greyscale calibration after 500 hours and a change from low lamp to high lamp with ANY decent meter should result in an improvement (human error excepted).

Of course it can be further improved on, by both better tools and more experienced calibrators, but IMHO it's simply wrong to state that the i1pro is not ABLE to do the job, when so many professional calibrators, hobbyists and reviewers use one to do 99% of the work, and only use better/slower equipment to finish the calibration (when and if they do decide that more is needed).
post #912 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

This being said, I also believe it's a disgrace not to tell Millerwill right away that he is right, that his greyscale would need to be adjusted after 500 hours, and that his i1pro is a fine tool to achieve very decent results.

I am always very suspecious of anything I hear from somebody with an expensive service to sell me, who offers no advice whatsoever on how to evaluate the value of this service myself. It reminds me way too much of Monster Cable for speaker wire (if you don't spend $$$, you won't get the best performance, and if you don't have the right equipment (again $$$), you can't trust anything you use to measure the results).

--Mark
post #913 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Follow-up question, to those of you who have much more experience and knowledge than I: is there any problem in using the I1 Pro, with its defuser cap, pointing into the pj lens about 2 ft from it? The instruction sheet that came with it explicitly said that the defuser cap was for using when pointing the instruments toward the pj; it didn't say anything about how far or close it could be.
post #914 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 06:15 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Not in my experience. The i1pro allows to get a close to perfect greyscale on the HD750/RS-20, at least at 30 IRE and above. I have had my i1pro-calibrated PJ checked by a professional in charge of internal screenings at Paramount, and he didn't say "what is this piece of c**p", on the contrary. ....

I would say you are wrong and I own two i1 Pro's and a 5nm PR-670. I would suspect he is just being kind.
post #915 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

My new projector has a problem where on the green grid when I pull it up to zoom, the left side of the grid is wider than the right side. Its just by a few centimeters but its enough to throw it off. It doesnt fill the whole screen evenly. Any ideas?
post #916 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

My new projector has a problem where on the green grid when I pull it up to zoom, the left side of the grid is wider than the right side. Its just by a few centimeters but its enough to throw it off. It doesnt fill the whole screen evenly. Any ideas?

Your projector is perpendicular to the screen. Square it up and use shift to center it.
post #917 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

It is squared up and I did shift it. Its all on the screen but its at a downward slope. So the left is wider vertically and it slopes down on top and it slopes up from the bottom. So it makes a V that faces left with the opening. Its much less severe than a sideways V but you get the idea. Thats what I mean when I cant get the grid to match up perfectly on the top and bottom of the screen. It just wont let me as if the right side of the lens is closed off more than the left.
post #918 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is squared up and I did shift it. Its all on the screen but its at a downward slope. So the left is wider vertically and it slopes down on top and it slopes up from the bottom. So it makes a V that faces left with the opening. Its much less severe than a sideways V but you get the idea. Thats what I mean when I cant get the grid to match up perfectly on the top and bottom of the screen. It just wont let me as if the right side of the lens is closed off more than the left.

Something isn't straight...
post #919 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

why even post that?
post #920 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would say you are wrong and I own two i1 Pro's and a 5nm PR-670. I would suspect he is just being kind.

I never said the i1pro was as accurate as a PR-670. I just said it was accurate enough to significantly improve a greyscale, especially when the lamp is 500 hours older and has been switched from low to high mode.

I would however be very happy to accept I am wrong, and that the few professionals who have seen my PJ are wrong or were being kind, even if this would be the only area in which they would have shown such kindness (you should have heard what they said about the audio side of my installation).

As you happen to own both meters, could you please post your measurements of the i1pro vs the measurements of your 5nm PR-670, measuring the greyscale of an RS-20 (or another D-ILA PJ as it seems to be the technology that the i1pro is not fit to measure)?

This way, we will be able to see how far off they are, and how foolish it is to trust the i1pro for the task. I'm especially interested to see the dEs for the respective meters, and whether they are within the manufaturer's specs or not. I would also be interested in hearing why D-ILA causes a problem for this projector, from a technical point of view, as I intend to contact the reseller and X-rite.

I am also going to contact Spectracal, as I don't understand how such a serious and reputable company could allow the use of an i1pro along with LCOS technology without at least warning that the results are worthless. I am sure they are able to give an objective opinion regarding the precision of the i1pro with D-ILA.

I will do this as soon as I get your measurements, as I would like to back up my query with scientific facts. The only scientific facts I have in my possession are that, unfortunately, the i1pro works fine with D-ILA.

Many thanks for your help in getting to the bottom of this.
post #921 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Follow-up question, to those of you who have much more experience and knowledge than I: is there any problem in using the I1 Pro, with its defuser cap, pointing into the pj lens about 2 ft from it? The instruction sheet that came with it explicitly said that the defuser cap was for using when pointing the instruments toward the pj; it didn't say anything about how far or close it could be.

The I1Pro is a fine tool for the hobbyist, and I absolutely don't believe it's inadequate for DILA calibration (I've been using it for years (with regularly service/calibration at Gretag Macbeth's))

As for the diffuser, it's "no good", and shouldn't be used until you have compensated for the drift it introduces.
post #922 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What you are seeing are the errors with the eye one pro. It is not very accurate for these products.

Please explain this. In what way(s) is it not accurate?
How inaccurate is it (dE per color at a given stimulus)? How did you determine that it is not accurate?

Affable Nitwit
post #923 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

Please explain this. In what way(s) is it not accurate?
How inaccurate is it (dE per color at a given stimulus)? How did you determine that it is not accurate?

The luminance differs from the PR-670 by as much as 15 percent and the x and y values are off as much as 0.015 for these products. This is even at 75 percent stimulus with very low signal to noise ratios.
post #924 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

why even post that?

Because it is the truth. You aren't square with the screen on either the x or y axis or possibly both. It's that simple.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #925 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbjornk View Post

The I1Pro is a fine tool for the hobbyist, and I absolutely don't believe it's inadequate for DILA calibration (I've been using it for years (with regularly service/calibration at Gretag Macbeth's))

As for the diffuser, it's "no good", and shouldn't be used until you have compensated for the drift it introduces.

One way to compensate for the - established - poor quality of the diffuser coming with the i1pro (or the d2), is to use the i1pro as a reference meter, do a gamut run with the i1pro facing the screen, and train another meter (or the same i1pro) facing the screen, with the diffuser on, by doing another gamut run and then calculating a conversion matrix (at least this is the way to do it with HCFR, which is the software I use). That way both the variations induced by the screen and the diffuser should be taken into account.

I personally calibrate with the i1pro facing the screen, and only train my d2 to it to work on my greyscale, but I don't see why this method wouldn't work. I may expriment with this when I hit 100 hours on my new lamp and fine-tune my greyscale calibration.

My understanding is that training a meter in such a way is only valid as long as x,y in the primaries don't change, so it can only be used for working on the greyscale, on the secondaries and/or on Y. It has to be done at the beginning of each session.

I think some here use such a combination (i1pro with d2 or spyder) to work on the gamut calibration as well, maybe they will explain a bit more how they achieve this.
post #926 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The luminance differs from the PR-670 by as much as 15 percent and the x and y values are off as much as 0.015 for these products. This is even at 75 percent stimulus with very low signal to noise ratios.

When you say "as much as" with respect to luminance and xy, what do you mean? For one or more colors? Which colors? Are some colors better than others? This is why I asked for dEs by color.

Affable Nitwit
post #927 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

When you say "as much as" with respect to luminance and xy, what do you mean? For one or more colors? Which colors? Are some colors better than others? This is why I asked for dEs by color.

It is not a constant thing. It varies greatly by sample. Posting a single value is misleading.
post #928 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is very much possible for blue, which I find difficult to measure with the i1pro especially at 75% stimulus, but for the other colors?

As we know, a small error in blue is difficult to spot in real material, so it would be interesting to get, as requested by LG, a dE by color.

Say you calibrate a DILA PJ at 100% stimulus using an iPro within dE<=2 for each color, what would be the dE for each color when the same calibration is measured by the PR-670 ? How worse does it get when you do the same at 75% stimulus, which is bound to be less accurate given the relative weakness of the i1pro at low IREs?
post #929 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is not a constant thing. It varies greatly by sample. Posting a single value is misleading.

Posting claims not backed by scientific evidence is MORE misleading.

We are not asking for one value, just for one typical run. Feel free to say whether it is close to the best or the worst you've seen, but give us some actual figures.
post #930 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't also misleading to say only "as much as" 15% luminance and .015 xy?

What do you mean when you say it varies by sample?

I am asking for dEs by color to show what the actual color error is when compaing the devices.

Affable Nitwit
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page