Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...lb-led-cfl.php - plasma light bulb story with drawing

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/05/latest-plasma-d.php - 1mm thick plasma TV

I thought lasers were the future of front projection, but this new bulb may be stiff competition.

The 1mm thick plasma TV is off topic, but too cool to ignore.

IB
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Next up, plasma speakers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEeWtBAE5LY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHAE...eature=related

..oops, I see this is nothing new.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not new technology in general, but the new claims of light output and efficiency are new. The old Panasonic plasma bulbs were barely bright enough to light their DLP sets, which I assume were discontinued. To light a projector would require allot more output. There have been all kinds of gases used in these bulbs. Maybe they have come up with a better formula.

http://www.lifi.com/index.php

IB
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM

They have already a light source for projectors:

http://www.lifi.com/dynamic/display.php/53
post #6 of 13 Old 05-13-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

How many things are we talking about here?

1 Luxim (company) has a lamp LIFI
- that delivers 4700 lumen at 230W which is roughly 20 lumen per watt. If we look at the spectrum how much of that light could really be used in a projector? What does the spectrum look like from a pure red projector by say a RS20?

2 Luxeon (company) has a prototype product
- that delivers 140 lumen per watt

The beauty of laser "light" is that they have only the wave lengths that you want for red and the light source is partly polarized.

Still this stuff is exciting. Can someone provide numbers for a 200W UHP lamp?

Mattias Ohlson
post #7 of 13 Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3 Plasma speakers too.

Well if you need separate RGB bulbs, any color can be made by adding different gasses. Otherwise it would be a great replacement for single DLP.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I still have the same reservation about this technology that I did with earlier incarnations of it. I don't want a microwave oven operating in my living room while I watch TV. You cannot contain 100% of the microwaves.

IB
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just think of it as a bit of radiation therapy. But for gobs of lumens it uses 1/4 the power of a microwave, and I don't see why RF can't be contained unless it's producing ULF an VLF. Plasma excitation requires high frequency anyway, and even if such low frequencies were produced that are difficult to contain, they are completely harmeless to us.

On the other hand there may be ozone production but, plasma excitation that is optimized for sprectral light output can be done without ozone production.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

News from the company:

"Luxim has been supporting OEM designed projector applications for a number of years. There are a few implementations of LIFI lamps in projectors, the most commercially successful of which was the series of Panasonic rear projection LIFI HDTV products. As you may be aware the rear projection TV industry has seen a significant downward trend in the last two years, and Panasonic exited that portion of the television market."

"Many OEM companies that evaluated the use of LIFI lamps for front projection applications have chosen not to proceed. There are a number of reasons for these decisions that do not directly answer your question. There is at least one company still working toward a long life color rich solution for projection display using LIFI, but they have not committed to bring the product to market yet. If they do we will announce it in our quarterly newsletter."

"There are efforts underway by some market enthusiasts to design a solution using LIFI lamps for home based projection systems. If that proceeds we will likely link to it on our website, so you are welcome to sign up for our newsletter and it would be announced that way (you can sign up by inserting your email address at the bottom of the first page on our website)."

- - - -
Sounds like you should not hold your breath for this technology to be used in home theater projectors. I do know many companies are working on laser projectors as well as the announced LED stuff already heading to stores.

IB
post #11 of 13 Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Maybe the companies behind each of these technologies are afraid to just jump into the market with the other upcoming potential competing technologies and they're probably waiting it out so that they don't all help each other drive the market down. If each of these technologies can produce much better results than what we have now for relatively little manufacturing cost, there's a huge market potential that could go to waste if they all jump in and compete right now...

1. RGB LED needs no color wheel or extensive cooling, and they pretty much last forever.

2. Same with Laser.

3. Plasma is just a tiny glass capsule with a small amount of rare Earth gases and a high frequency driver.

I think that the big name brands are afraid of how the simplicity of all these new techs could drive the market down. Heck you can get a decent microwave for $50 now, when they used to cost several thousand dollars when they first came out and they were always just a simple high frequency driver. But if the microwave came out at the exact same time when some sort of LED cooker and also a Laser cooker came out, none of them would have cost thousands of dollars to begin with unless there were some serious illegal price fixing going on.

Think about it, as technology improves, eventually the consumer will be able to get a phenomenal projector for the cost of a week's worth of TV dinners. That would be a long time from now, but it is inevitable because of the nature of technology to improve performance while reducing production cost combined with the nature of competition. Patents can't protect that from happening forever; mabye beyond my lifetime, but definitely not forever.

Of course there will always be improvements that could be worth paying more for and the consumers' expectations will grow to match them, especially if they sit around and talk about them on online forums
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
"Plasma is just a tiny glass capsule with a small amount of rare Earth gases and a high frequency driver."

The capsule is small but the microwave power source is not and I bet that's the reason pj mfgr's aren't using them.

Noah
post #13 of 13 Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

The capsule is small but the microwave power source is not and I bet that's the reason pj mfgr's aren't using them.

Noah,

I don't know about that. I have seen the plasma bulb modules for the old sulfur gas systems, which work on the same principle, and the entire structure was very compact. This company, Luxim, produced the plasma bulb devices for the Panasonic LCD rear projection TVs that went nowhere commercially, mainly because they were not bright enough. All of the new claims of energy efficiency aside, why were the Panasonic TVs so dim? My guess is brightness is still the biggest issue, not the size of the microwave drivers.

IB
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page