I think I might hate my Bat Cave. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It isn't the colors that are uninviting in JHouse's theater. It is the furniture. JHouse, you need some some comfy furniture in there. It seems too formal as it is.

Affable Nitwit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I get it Mark.

I had actually planned on getting a 65" plasma for my room. So I borrowed a friend's projector simply to project a 65" diagonal image on my wall to see how big it would be and think about seating distances. But then I zoomed the image out big on the wall, watched Star Wars and Jurassic Park like that and had a "whoa" moment. No going back to 65" diagonal after that. Had to have the Big Image experience in my home.
post #33 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

It isn't the colors that are uninviting in JHouse's theater. It is the furniture. JHouse, you need some some comfy furniture in there. It seems too formal as it is.

Whatever one thinks of the comfort of the furniture or not, of course the furniture is not arranged in a conversational set up either. (Like most dedicated home theater rooms). Also, I can see that the lack of windows
would tend to make me feel too isolated to hang out much in such a room.
If I'm going to relax for a while in a room I like to have windows.

At the same time Mark (and others) make a good point that dedicated home theater rooms are made for a purpose - watching movies. Most aren't designed as a place for conversation, living, hanging out.
post #34 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

At the same time Mark (and others) make a good point that dedicated home theater rooms are made for a purpose - watching movies. Most aren't designed as a place for conversation, living, hanging out.

That is the way some people choose to live.

Me, my family and friends are much more casual than that. I have enormously comfortable home theater recliners but a few people always end up sprawled out on the floor. We eat. We drink. We have lots of fun. Dedicated rooms? Too constrained for me.

I have surrendered my den to my daughter for every day TV watching. I love using the HT. It is probably the most used room in the house at this point.

Affable Nitwit
post #35 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting...

I built my my basement with complete light control, multiple lighting zones, flat black ceilings, dark gray carpet, fabric walls, etc... such that and I can get the "theater" feeling. We thend to use it that way when it's just my family or I watching a movie or a specific TV show (Lost, etc...).

But, almost without excepetion, when we have folks over to watch football, a group movie, etc... the lights are on over the game table, the bar, the dartboard, in the back section with the kids playing board games, etc...

While you do sacrifice some ultimate picture quality for those settings it does indeed promote a more enjoyable social atmosphere....

-Steve
post #36 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
As other people have also noted, my solution to this issue is to have two nice movie/theater rooms. In the family room downstairs we have a 65" Sharp LCD, and a 5.1 audio system (Onkyo TX-SR806, B&W CDM NT front L/R/C speakers, Atlantic Tech surround speakers in the ceiling, and a small Velodyne servo sub). The family system gets used mostly for TV and an occasional DVD movie.

The upstairs system is a dedicated 'bat cave' theater room which gets used strictly for movies and XBox. There's really no comparison of the (serene) ambience, audio quality, or the impact of a 123" screen compared to the environment in the family room downstairs.

However, when we have people over to watch football or something, it's downstairs in the family room.

Doug
post #37 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

My Bat-cave is only used for DVD/BD movie viewing. Period. No TV, Sports, and no video games. You go in - watch the movie - leave (same thing you do at a real Theater).

I watch TV, sports, etc. on 50" Flat Screen in Den. That way movie viewing remains a “Special Event” (just like going to the movies used to be).
post #38 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

My Bat-cave is only used for DVD/BD movie viewing. Period. No TV, Sports, and no video games. You go in - watch the movie - leave (same thing you do at a real Theater).

I watch TV, sports, etc. on 50" Flat Screen in Den. That way movie viewing remains a “Special Event” (just like going to the movies used to be).

So how early do you get to your HT before the movie begins in order to get a good seat? Also, are your concessions expensive too? Like $5 for a small coke and $6 for a box of Milkduds. But if I come over, I'll just use the excuse I have a medical condition and I've never been refused bringing my own
post #39 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

^Funny. But actually friends do arrive early to get the best first row (40 degree viewing angle) seats!
post #40 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
here is a panoramic photo of my living/theater room.....My solution was to paint the front wall/front ceiling flat black and the rest of the room mocha color.....I have black curtains that cut off the theater room to the kitchen/dining area. Room is about 16x22. It is TOTALLY awsome, although I would like a bat cave at some point
LL

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #41 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

For the people who have theater rooms integrated into normal non-bat cave rooms, what do you do about the loud sound disturbing the rest of the house? Do you just not watch stuff after a certain hour? Do you use headphones? Do you only watch stuff when everybody in the house is watching stuff?
post #42 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7 View Post

For the people who have theater rooms integrated into normal non-bat cave rooms, what do you do about the loud sound disturbing the rest of the house? Do you just not watch stuff after a certain hour? Do you use headphones? Do you only watch stuff when everybody in the house is watching stuff?

Very good question and that is obviously where a dedicated (sound isolated) room is enviable.

In my situation I'm turning my living room into the home theater/music listening room. It's always been my music listening room. Our bedroom is directly above the home theater room. Sometimes my wife goes to bed earlier. Luckily she sleeps like a rock and I've been able to play both movies and loud music later into the night. If that weren't the case, frankly I'd have
a real problem because there is no real way to isolate the sound in that room (it has a big opening to the hallway, no door).

However, I am a light sleeper. My kids aren't old enough to use the theater on their own, but if/when it becomes the case in the future that one of my boys would like to use the theater when I want to sleep, he'll be using headphones.
post #43 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
7 years ago I built my house around a family room great room concept. 20' flat ceilings with one wall all windows for our elevated territorial views of the surrounding hills. Built in niche to house a future "HUGE" 70" tv. I used to joke that I built the house around the niche for the tv. In this room you are at the center of the house to enjoy the kitchen, tv and views. Guests love it and my family pretty much takes it for granted now...

Last year I found FP while researching the replacement for my 70" family room TV. After much planning there was just no sensible way to really utilize the family room and control sound and ambient light for a projector though. So I grudgingly gave in to renovating my unfinished basement room into a dedicated theater from the current grunge treadmill and work out room. I had much preferred to keep the HT in the family room. I had worked hard for that space and could not imagine a better place to enjoy family, friends and a movie or sports. The funny thing is, now, guests and even my wife and young children get a sense of excitement when we are trekking down to watch a movie in the theater room. There is watching tv and then there is an event in the theater.

I had no idea that folks would see it as being so special? Personally, I thought if you had a projector home theater room you wear a cape in public and call yourself Maestro. The room has also been great as I do not have to worry about adult content finding it's way to my childrens ears or eyes.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #44 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I agree. I always thought a " Bat Cave " was by definition solid flat black all the way around.

We like the comfy La Z Boy sofa personally !!

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7419278

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #45 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I agree. I always thought a " Bat Cave " was by definition solid flat black all the way around.

Same here. To me Bat Cave = the ultimate performance aesthetics; an all black or mostly black room.
post #46 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Liked: 14
This thread makes me happy I went another way .

As for my den, I have a bay window in there, and after measurement and consideration, used a nontensioned Elite screen which blocks out the light from the bay window behind it. I used nontensioned because it is a thicker vinyl than the tensioned (block out the light behind it better) . I see no waviness after a year and a half.

I mounted my Sony VW60 projector behind the wall in the garage behind me, projecting through a rectangular port in a plexiglass window

So what happens when I hit the switch and the screen goes back up into its enclosure? The room reverts to its former self - a den with fireplace and (now) a home bar. I did not paint my walls black and only painted the wall against where the screen is a gray color.

I spend a lot of time in there as a theater - mostly watching free and legal, unscrambled high definitiion television I find with my big C-band satellite dish.

I'm happy I made this an "either /or" room. Granted, if everything was black in there I could go with a white or silver screen and the image would be much brighter, but then I'd have a dungeon instead of a multi purpose room that works well for both purposes.
post #47 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Peer

Same here. To me Bat Cave = the ultimate performance aesthetics; and all black or mostly black room.

Don't forget that all guests must be issued a black robe to wear if not already dressed like a Ninja !! I'll tell you, when our new Lumis has a fade to black scene, it's dangerous pouring wine - even in a theater that's not painted flat black..............

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #48 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

Yes it is cool, but....you don't want to spend a lot of time in a dark theater. The family room is much more conducive to longer stays.

I don't see a problem. I think you have a pretty ideal setup, just like mine. A home THEATER that is used every so often for movies and a few other things, and a TV in the living room that is used for most everything else.

I actually used my "bat-cave" with a projector for all my TV-watching for over 2 years before flat panels got down far enough in price for me to put a 52" LCD in my living room. We now use the living room all the time. It's much easier to use and quicker to fire up than the bat-cave setup. However, now when we use the bat-cave to watch a movie or play video games, the massive image and incredible surround sound really blow us away. We appreciate it much more.

It works out well, because in my world, a living room with no TV was an unused room.
post #49 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This all sounds very familiar.

Don't want to spend the day inside a commercial movie theater either.

But room with flat screen is so big that 65" looks small.

I'm going to figure something out, or just get used to it.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #50 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

... in my world, a living room with no TV was an unused room.

That is exactly right. I might even broaden it to say ANY room with no TV is an unused room.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #51 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is exactly right. I might even broaden it to say ANY room with no TV is an unused room.

I can think of something to do in the bedroom that doesn't involve a TV....

post #52 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I'm just in it mostly for movies so I don't need a TV beyond the plasma we use in our family room. Sometimes when I see those "Electronic House" feature stories where someone has a flat screen placed in every room, even over the bath, or near their sink, I think "Does someone really need TV stimulation THAT MUCH? No matter where they go they have to have a TV?"

I also like the idea of keeping movie watching "special" so I wouldn't care to watch every day TV on my projector.
post #53 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Bats are very friendly creatures once you get to know them, but they are initially very shy.
post #54 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

Bats are very friendly creatures once you get to know them, but they are initially very shy.

OMG please people are not like bats they detect a pointless meaningless questionnaire it is more like the difference between fiction and fact. Less light = better rejection of ambient lighting. Less ambient lighting means better experience.... always...
post #55 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I can think of something to do in the bedroom that doesn't involve a TV....

But that's what commercials are for....

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #56 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

OMG please people are not like bats they detect a pointless meaningless questionnaire it is more like the difference between fiction and fact.

Can someone tell me which language to choose in googletranslator for this one? Thanks.
post #57 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Ten years ago we moved into a new house with one roughed-in bedroom and bath unfinished. We decided to make that space into the bat cave HT. It's
on the lower level of our daylight basement house, as is the guest bed/bath, and a 'library' space with bookshelves, piano, and a 32" HD CRT.

I have resisted having any TV on the main living floor where I vastly prefer my favorite radio station to provide the background (we live near the Canadian border and listen to commercial-free radio from the CBC).

For over 50 years I have been enthralled with having a decent system to reproduce music...not high end, that's beyond me...but I never had a dedicated room. Although it's not ideal to combine the HT experience with a music listening room, that was my plan from the beginning and I'm very happy with the result.

Heavy velour curtains cover the fixed screen when the room is used for music, and improves the listening experience.

Do we hang out there to socialize? No, for all the reasons cited by earlier posts. Do we feel going into the HT is special? Yes!

Meanwhile my wife has lobbied for a long time to get a small TV in the kitchen or her office (a second upstairs bedroom with a Murphy bed), but we live where there's no OTA signals, and running another cable would be a major project (or so I kept saying). Two years ago I installed a Slingbox on the cable box in the HT (not much used), so my wife now sits in her office working on her genealogy research, playing solitaire or reading emails while the cooking shows drone on in the background on her computer...and the sound doesn't leak into the rest of the house.

We also put a Sling Box on our daughter's cable box in Denver where she is the host of a morning news show, and now her mother can watch her on her office PC.

The present arrangement suits everyone very well.

Bill Bunker
post #58 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #59 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

My entire house is a cave and I love it:

Wow Steve! Love it! If I ever get a place with a guest house, I'll be sure to make it into a place like that with my current projector. Screw the in-laws, hell it might even keep them away!
post #60 of 356 Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I can't get my guests OUT of the theater after a flick. The rest of the house is beautiful with 17' ceilings, huge windows, decking and views over rolling hills to the horizon. But they want to stay in the theater and talk about the movie. It's comfortable medium sized at 16' by 21' with two rows and one riser. Maybe it's the lighting. I have a 5 by 4 grid of overhead halogens on dimmers that I bring up gradually. They provide complete even soft illumination. Maybe it's the furniture. I never understood “theater” seating in a home theater. I want to curl up on a couch with the g'friend or the dog... or BOTH! So, that's what I did. Maybe it's the accessibility. I have a one story house with no basement. The theater has a door to the front deck. It has another to the main hallway and a third to the master bedroom suite. It's all RIGHT THERE for easy use. Beer and restroom are only a few steps away.

EDIT: I designed and built my house as a single guy. I have no wife. Maybe that's how I got away with it.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page