Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 356 Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post

Jhouse... I share your pov. Coming from 2 bat caves, I now have a dedicated room that looks like a family room with a white ceiling for goodness sakes . A dark isolated room somewhere in the basement is definitely not as inviting as a nice family/media room that's integrated into the main floor of the house. But if I could dream, I'd actually have both... a completely isolated bat cave for critical alone time viewing and then a nice stealth theater in the family room... I'm thinking something like a plasma + dropdown screen or a huge rearpro setup. So I'm basically telling you to keep your batcave and just build another one in the family room too.

That is what I did. I have a large (12,000 CF) family room set up with a rear projection TV and a 106" drop down screen. The family room is not light controlled. I also have a small dedicated room. The small room is only 1242 CF. In the dedicated room I have the equipment remote mounted and the speakers are a mix of commercial and DIY. I run six subs in the dedicated room. The room is painted black. I love watching movies in the small dedicated room. I guess I do not feel so closed in because the room has an opening (no door) into another room. To sum it up I love having two rooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 356 Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

[IMG]The wife likes to lay down during movies

Buck, buck, buck, bu-KAW, buck...

Seriously, it looks nice.
post #123 of 356 Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The wife likes to lay down during movies, which isn't easy in commercial theaters.

Me too. I always end up lying down and shifting around multiple times during a movie. I don't know how you guys sit in those recliners for so long. I realize I may be the odd man out so don't flame me . The only chair I could probably tolerate is an Ekornes stressless recliners... most comfy chair I've ever sat in.
post #124 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Buck, buck, buck, bu-KAW, buck...

True, there is a moderate amount of PW'ing going on. Heck, that's how I ended up in the attic to begin with.

Anyway, that bedish thing is a futon from Sam's. It was cheap and that is a real innerspring matress (so it is extremely comfly) upholstered in this reasonably soft fabric. So it is a couch when needed, and a bed.

We had so many kids visiting a while back, I slept on it. Now THAT was a great use for the cave.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #125 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Perhaps I'm fortunate in knowing well ahead of time what type of use, access and "vibe" I want for the room.

I consider my wife and I fortunate as well, we understood we wanted the full pay theater experience in our own home. It's worked out well.

I mean, when you decide to have a dedicated "theater" in your home and that is what your calling it, shouldn't it be as close as you can get it to the pay theaters one may have enjoyed over the years? Isn't that what it's all about?
post #126 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yup. I agree. That's what I've tried to do. Duplicate the "Theater" experience in the home (minus the annoying green "Exit" signs)
post #127 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

LOL. My bedroom will *never* have a TV.

My first wife had a TV in the master bedroom. Needless to say when I got rid of her I also got rid of the TV. I kept the house.
post #128 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Perhaps what we see on these forums can be summed up as two general approaches in Home Theater:

Home Theater

Where people are trying to create a theater feel
at home. So they import things that remind them of being at a theater. (Which can include theater-type seating, carpet, commercial-feeling design/decor, popcorn machines etc).

and

Home Theater

Where people are trying to create a cinematic Big Screen and Big Sound experience while retaining a home-feel.

For me I like the "Home" in Home Theater, so I'm trying to mix the best of what I like at home with the big screen vibe of the theater. So when I'm at a theater and I think "Wouldn't this be awesome to experience at home" I'm thinking about having the big screen and big sound, but in the comfort of my home, on my own sofa etc. I'm not thinking about the theater seats, the exit sign, the carpeting, the popcorn machine. That's the stuff that doesn't make it feel like home.

I completely understand the rational for both choices.
post #129 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was looking for the latter, or at least a hybrid of the two, where you get the full audio/visual impact but you don't feel the need to scamper out when a movie ends.

In my trek I have noticed that it took a while for the new room to start to feel like it was actually part of the house. It was so new, it didn't feel like home. Now, it is starting to be a regular hang out and part of our home. I didn't expect it to feel so foreign for so long.

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

post #130 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, there is a moderate amount of PW'ing going on. Heck, that's how I ended up in the attic to begin with.

Anyway, that bedish thing is a futon from Sam's. It was cheap and that is a real innerspring matress (so it is extremely comfly) upholstered in this reasonably soft fabric. So it is a couch when needed, and a bed.

We had so many kids visiting a while back, I slept on it. Now THAT was a great use for the cave.

Honestly I was being the "grammar police". Serves my superior attitude right that I got no satisfaction!

My g'friend sometimes gets hyper-sensitive to noise. The cat walking at night or the dog snoring is just too much. SHE goes and sleeps in the theater! It's so quiet. The 8' sofa set in there makes an extremely comfortable bed.
post #131 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, I get it, the egg thing. Lay/lie. That went right over my head.

Joe -----

post #132 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My g'friend sometimes gets hyper-sensitive to noise. The cat walking at night or the dog snoring is just too much.

My wife is exactly the same. She actually read a book claiming it is a disorder (rather than simply intolerance). They will probably start building shelters for them soon (where they can irritate each other).

Joe -----

post #133 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wife is exactly the same. She actually read a book claiming it is a disorder (rather than simply intolerance). They will probably start building shelters for them soon (where they can irritate each other).

Yes... claims it's a hormonal thing or some-such. I think all this stuff is a hobby for them. We have Home Theater. They have suppliments, hormones and enzymes.
post #134 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Perhaps what we see on these forums can be summed up as two general approaches in Home Theater:

Home Theater

at home. So they import things that remind them of being at a theater. (Which can include theater-type seating, carpet, commercial-feeling design/decor, popcorn machines etc).

and

Home Theater

Where people are trying to create a cinematic Big Screen and Big Sound experience while retaining a home-feel.

For me I like the "Home" in Home Theater, so I'm trying to mix the best of what I like at home with the big screen vibe of the theater. So when I'm at a theater and I think "Wouldn't this be awesome to experience at home" I'm thinking about having the big screen and big sound, but in the comfort of my home, on my own sofa etc. I'm not thinking about the theater seats, the exit sign, the carpeting, the popcorn machine. That's the stuff that doesn't make it feel like home.

That’s a good point Rich. A Home Theater is exactly what I wanted to do and I built, finished and furnished the room accordingly. A large sectional sofa and ottoman was purchased so that the room did not look like a faux theater. What I found was that the couch while comfortable for normal couch things (sitting and talking/reading) was very uncomfortable for a 2 hour movie. As it turned out and despite the multi-function intent, movie watching became 90% of the use of the room. It might be my height (I’m 6’6”) but I could never get comfortable on the sectional watching movies and was getting a stiff neck and headaches to boot.

Adding comfortable HT seating has resolved the issues and although I prefer the look of the sectional seating, from a functional standpoint the powered HT chairs are much better. The dedicated HT room has given me the luxury of a function over form space without having to make aesthetic compromises to the main living spaces in the house.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #135 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My g'friend sometimes gets hyper-sensitive to noise. The cat walking at night or the dog snoring is just too much. SHE goes and sleeps in the theater! It's so quiet.

I'm hyper-sensitive to noise too. I either run a loud fan at night in the bedroom where I sleep - or sleep in my Home Theater (which has 8" thick walls)
post #136 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I find it a bit annoying that so many of the HT magazines seem push recreating a 20's style theater with all the glitz.

Our media room can be darkened with blackout shades, and I plan to add a 5' black velvet band around the walls and ceiling adjacent to the screen, but the rest of the room will be left as it is in flat off-white. The lower walls are lined with equipment racks or bookcases, the upper walls with a series of auto posters I've had for decades. The ceiling is coffered, partly to accommodate wiring for the surrounds. A desk and computer are at the end of the 14' X 19' room opposite the screen

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #137 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Home Theater

and

Home Theater

So where does the bat cave fit in? Real theaters are never all black, neither are homes.
post #138 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Do you really need everything Black for a BatCave?
...If you lit up a real cave with a PJ and some ambient light, would the walls/ceiling really be black?
or just dark grays and brown earth tones ?

My room is mostly browns, a little black/dark green velvet (earth tone fabric's)
but its Very Black when the lights are all off.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #139 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That may be the coolest thing I have ever seen. Bruce clearly knows how to spend his money.

Joe -----

post #140 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that's a BAT CAVE!
post #141 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Totally doing THAT in my next home

I found it on Elite Home Theater Seating's website...
Link: http://www.elitehts.com/home.htm

here's another cave... way more creepy , but very realistic.

http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/155/

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #142 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What's creepy is using a CRT pj.

Joe -----

post #143 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Home Theater

and

Home Theater

I see the same thing in the HTPC area. There are those who want to use a PC in their HT, and have it entirely integrated with nice remote control, menus and all the goodies such that anyone not up on the implementation would never know a PC was running it.

And then there are those who just want to play media on their PC, they're fine using a keyboard and mouse, and navigating to folders and the like, they don't care to "hide" the idea that it's a PC.

I break the two ideas up into "Home Theater PC" vs "Home Entertainment PC". I think the same sort of distinction is apparent in this thread.

There are those who want a "Home Theater", which has a lot of things in common with commercial cinemas, large screen, quality projection, surround sound, dedicated room, special seating, special purpose/focus/intent (movies). Of course most seek to create not a recreation of the commercial cinema, but more of an "idealized" cinema. There are of course various versions of the Home Theater, with people going to varying degrees of effort/cost/design to optimize performance, just like with real theaters (ever notice how the decor in an IMAX is way darker than your megaplex? ).

And then there are those who want an "Entertainment System", which also have things in common with the cinema, but less so. They've got the big screen, the surround sound, but they don't have the special purpose/focus/intent, they're integrating some HT elements into a more multipurpose room.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with either, I started out with an "Entertainment System", but as I've grown in the hobby I've moved to a true Home Theater. For some of us, nothing but a true HT will satisfy us (and heck, for a lot of us, we won't ever be satisfied even with that ). But for a lot of others, the drive just isn't there to "go all the way". Not everyone wants/needs a sports car, many are happy with a sedan or a minivan, others can't see driving anything but a finely tuned sports car.

It seems the OP's issues are less with the "bat cave" (dark color) than with just the idea of Home Theater vs Entertainment System.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #144 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Totally doing THAT in my next home

I found it on Elite Home Theater Seating's website...
Link: http://www.elitehts.com/home.htm

here's another cave... way more creepy , but very realistic.

http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/155/

That theater is terrible. The color of those rocks are way to reflective. Now if you painted them black...
post #145 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

That theater is terrible. The color of those rocks are way to reflective. Now if you painted them black...

That would be more like it. Sitting in a colon.

Joe -----

post #146 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
So where does the bat cave fit in? Real theaters are never all black, neither are homes.

I can tell you that from my experience as a cinematographer. The two environments are different with regards to light. It has to do with the "fall-off" principle in lighting (law of inverse proportion). The amount of light on subject does not fall off in a linear fashion as the distance from the light source changes. That is why we keep light sources a fair distance away from the subjects. If they are too close, the exposure would not stay anywhere near consistent as the actor moved about. The distance from the screen in a commercial theater to the other surfaces is quite great, therefore remains fairly consitent after just a few feet from the screen. At home we never really get out of the "few feet" range. We fight a bigger problem at home, hence the rise of the bat cave/colon walls.
post #147 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Oh man....I've been perusing the various pictures of people's set ups - flat screen/surround sound set ups/projection surround sound set ups and...ok...we don't all have the same aesthetic sensibilities but...yikes.

First, I am incredibly impressed and made envious by some of the great HT room owned by people on this forum. And I've often been surprised at how some people have done such a great aesthetic, tasteful job all on their own. Especially in the Dedicated Home Theater forum.

But, on the other hand, whew boy, not everyone is blessed with aesthetic talents. A number of set ups that get a lot of "Wow, looks great" comments would make me want to run screaming from the rooms. Combos of garish furniture for instance with "How Many Speakers With Shiny Speaker Drivers Covering Every Inch Of My Vision Can I Buy?" type set ups drive me nuts.

Within the different schools of Home Theater design there are also the "I want a clean, uncluttered look with the focus on the screen image" and apparently the "I Want to be able to see every piece of my gear at all times, and every blinking light I own, surrounding the screen" approach.

It's a personal aesthetic choice of course. When I'm only listening to 2 channel audio I have to admit I enjoy the sight of my tube amps glowing away. But when it comes to home theater I admire set ups that have managed to get an ultra-clean set up around the screen.

I'm sort of stuck between worlds a bit because I have to combine my love of tube-amp-driven 2 channel audio within the same home theater room. So I couldn't go all the way to behind the wall speakers and have to live with my L/C/R speakers near the screen wall. So with various decor touches I'm trying to make them as inconspicuous or at least as neat looking as possible.

Just some thoughts after going through various AV set up pix...
post #148 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had some of those same reactions when I recently went through the pictures.

The decorating we do, if any, is obviously for our egos. And taste and budgets clearly vary. As far as functionality, heck, the lights are almost always off. So we must decorate so that when we first walk in, we see that we aren't living in a hole, and so we will know it is still a nice place when the lights are off. Of course, you can do lot toward that end with just a little housekeeping and organizing.

Joe -----

post #149 of 356 Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Within the different schools of Home Theater design there are also the "I want a clean, uncluttered look with the focus on the screen image" and apparently the "I Want to be able to see every piece of my gear at all times, and every blinking light I own, surrounding the screen" approach.

Count me among the "uncluttered look" aficionados. I have a tri-amp'd Dynaudio system with 8 woofer IB sub. There are 15 pieces of equipment by the time you add up all the amps, xovers, video processor, players, etc. I want it all hidden, and it is... behind an AT screen and in a projection room. I even tape over the Insteon light switch LEDS and smoke alarm LEDS. The theater has nothing but seating and a screen. THAT's the way I like it!
post #150 of 356 Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. The ultimate Home Theater for me is very simple - seating and a screen. Surrounded by pitch black on all sides
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page