post #151 of 356 Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Count me among the "uncluttered look" aficionados...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

I agree. The ultimate Home Theater for me is very simple - seating and a screen. Surrounded by pitch black on all sides

I take it you guys are NOT married. Wives love to 'knick-knack up' every room in the house... every room I have an interest in ends up a compromise of some sort, unfortunately that's part of the price paid for being happily married.

However I do my best to keep things clean looking by even covering all my speakers in black velvet... they pretty much completely vanish when the lights go down.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 356 Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Totally doing THAT in my next home

I found it on Elite Home Theater Seating's website...
Link: http://www.elitehts.com/home.htm

here's another cave... way more creepy , but very realistic.

http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/155/

Yup, I think I'll propose this room treatment to my wife. Should be good for a laugh. Creepy for sure (the room!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

That would be more like it. Sitting in a colon.

That's the intent. Sit in a colon; digest the movie.
post #153 of 356 Old 06-20-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
That bat cave is the least inviting home theater of all time.

Rich H

post #154 of 356 Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

I take it you guys are NOT married. Wives love to 'knick-knack up' every room in the house... every room I have an interest in ends up a compromise of some sort, unfortunately that's part of the price paid for being happily married.

I'm happily married (28 years) and the wife "knick-knacks-up" every room in the house ...EXCEPT the Home Theater
post #155 of 356 Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Totally doing THAT in my next home

I found it on Elite Home Theater Seating's website...
Link: http://www.elitehts.com/home.htm

here's another cave... way more creepy , but very realistic.

http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/155/

That theatre needs an enema.
post #156 of 356 Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've made a deal with my better half; I get one room without interference and she gets the rest of the house. The problem has been to negotiate a room of sufficient size. I think I will be alright in the end though.

I wanted to get a room without compromises regarding picture quality, but at the same time a room I could hang out in with friends and listen to music and watch sport.

I have been making models in sketchup and this is my plan so far. The room is 380x582 cm, I'm putting in a false wall (about 84 cm deep) to hide the center speaker and subwoofers and am putting in a curved 2.40:1 High power screen with DIY automated masking.

The idea is that the sliding glass doors and light side wall will make the room feel less depressing while hanging out and at the same time allow it to become optimized for movies by deploying the black curtains on both sides.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #157 of 356 Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good sketches. The hard part is making the room look as good as the graphic version. Good luck to you. It will be killer if you can pull it off.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #158 of 356 Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post

That theatre needs an enema.

Perfect. Exactly.

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

post #159 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Drexler,

What software did you use for the beautiful drawings?

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #160 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Drexler,

db

It looks like he's using Google SketchUp. I'd love to be able to model out a room like that. Nicely done.

-Leffe67
post #161 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

It isn't the colors that are uninviting in JHouse's theater. It is the furniture. JHouse, you need some some comfy furniture in there. It seems too formal as it is.

The furniture is comfy as heck. Those are very soft recliners and the futon is an innerspring mattress. I'm getting used to the remoteness of the space now. Starting to feel more cacoonish.

Starting to feel like Rosanna Rosanadana

Joe -----

post #162 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Drexler,

db

Yes, it's Google sketchup. You can download it for free, simple to use but very addictive. I've done the whole house to be and a detailed model of the DIY masking screen I'm about to build. It's a very good tool since you immediately sees what works and what not .
post #163 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Another Google Sketchup user here. Great, easy-to-use program! Although my "Sketchup-Fu" is not as advanced as others I've seen. Here are some sketchup images for my HT room reno:

Rich H

post #164 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
SketchUp really worked well for me too,
first for the general layout and scale 3D model (for moving furniture and components around)
But also for trying different color schemes...

after you build your virtual walls, items can be downloaded free, just drag and drop from the 3D warehouse into your model
...PJ's, Speakers, AVR's, Recliners and almost everything available at IKEA is there too (Bookcases,Tables,Lamps)

and here's a few pic's of how it actually looks (so far...work in progress)

the SketchUp mockup

the screen ended up a little larger than planned, but no regrets here!

Once the lights are out it's all good.

JHouse

Your room looks good to me,
but I'd suggest painting the ceiling (and part way down the walls) a nice flat black or a darker brown tone.

Like this

(sorry for the quality, I did this real quick and dirty)

add a couple low bookcases and some darker acoustic panels for visual interest,
as well as improved sound quality.

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #165 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow that's cool PioManiac! What program did you use to add that paint on JHouse's ceiling? It's very cool how it kept the light source on the paint.

Rich H

post #166 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I used Adobe' Photoshop,
but without actually zooming in and cropping the zones perfectly with straight lines (rough free hand).
I then changed the brightness/saturation of the existing tones in the wall color to show how darker is better ALWAYS!
I could really clean it up if I had more time, but I think I got the just of it in the couple minutes I put into it.

What I do know, first hand is that darkening ceilings and the top half of your walls can really open up a space...although many might think the opposite.

JHouse's room just needs a few finishing touches and it will all come together.
The darker you make your walls/ceiling..the more you can add dim ambient mood lighting without taking away from the screen/pj's performance.

My room has a great "feel" whether its in pitch black theater mode,
or if I put the powered screen up with just the 50" plasma and a couple strategically placed floor lamps on.

I'm still a relative n00b to all of this,
but the build threads in the General home theater and Dedicated home theater section were a huge help.

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #167 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What I do know, first hand is that darkening ceilings and the top half of your walls can really open up a space...although many might think the opposite.

I don't know if you saw my post earlier about my re-painting my room, but I had exactly the opposite experience. As you can see by my room-sketch on this page, we've dropped a large, square, central portion of the ceiling down which is dark colored. However, the parameter ceiling portion around that central square in the image is light colored, like the walls.

Originally I had the painters do the rest of that ceiling around the square a matching dark brown. (The ceiling is curved and comes down the top of the walls a couple feet until it meets wood trim along the top of the walls).
I was expecting the "painting the ceiling dark opens it up" effect. What I had was the opposite; it immediately felt lower, more encroaching, more sombre and cave-like. So when I had the painters re-paint the ceiling parameter a light color like the wall it utterly changed the feel of the room to much taller, airier and lighter feeling, even though a central portion is still dark colored.

Rich H

post #168 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My room is not a ground-up designed HT, but rather a former master BR that is now 'mine' since our daughters are grown, married, and thus out of the house. It's ~ 17 Long, but 14 Wide, 8.5 High, and I have black material on the ceiling and side walls, out about 8 ft from the screen wall, as well as on the screen wall around the screen. My experience is that this black material on the ceiling and side walls greatly expands the sense of the room size, since it totally disappears. It has been the greatest improvement in the PQ of my room since getting the RS20.
post #169 of 356 Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I downloaded the version of Google SketchUp for Mac OS 10, and look forward to trying to turn out some drawings. My original goal since junior high was to be an architect, but it turned out I was better at academics than art. I still have more of an interest in architecture than science.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #170 of 356 Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

I don't post pics of my Bat Cave because it is exactly that... a cave. Looks like *ASS* when lit up for photos. When dark for movies, the dark walls, nice speakers and big screen turn it into HEAVEN. SCREW looks! The wife has NO SAY in MY room. Grow some balls, guys.
post #171 of 356 Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

My room is not a ground-up designed HT, but rather a former master BR that is now 'mine' since our daughters are grown, married, and thus out of the house. It's ~ 17 Long, but 14 Wide, 8.5 High, and I have black material on the ceiling and side walls, out about 8 ft from the screen wall, as well as on the screen wall around the screen. My experience is that this black material on the ceiling and side walls greatly expands the sense of the room size, since it totally disappears. It has been the greatest improvement in the PQ of my room since getting the RS20.

That has been my experience also. I even have my 4" thick room treatments wrapped in flat black cloth on my flat black ceiling and people can't even see them when the *lights are on* unless I point them out.
post #172 of 356 Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JHouse

Your room looks good to me,
but I'd suggest painting the ceiling (and part way down the walls) a nice flat black or a darker brown tone....add a couple low bookcases and some darker acoustic panels for visual interest, as well as improved sound quality.

I appreciate the interest and the suggestions. I took my pictures with no flash and the depth of the hues are misleading. That carpet is so dark brown it is almost black. And the carpet and pad were the thickest I could find, so it is very absorptive. When you are watching a movie, you can't even see the walls or ceiling because it is so dark (though the screen is BRIGHT). Even with my cheap (but decently reviewed) budget speakers and sub, the sound is pretty darn good. That will be the next purchase. I still haven't got the screen trim up yet.

Joe -----

post #173 of 356 Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

That's cool, if you're happy.
I was just suggesting your room may feel less cave-like if all your walls/ceiling weren't the same color.
Not that the color selection was wrong...its just too much of the same color (IMHO).

As soon as I saw your pic with the angled ceiling I though of johnathan's build.

Link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=808437

before

after

See how Johnathan's used just a couple different color tones as well as matching them with materials and textures from the same pallet to create a dramatic look?
It looks like a pretty comfortable place to just hang out even with the lights on and the PJ off.

If you really want to make your space a little more cozy and more interesting for your eyes than a dark empty box,
(that currently has you feeling the need to exit the moment the movie is over)...the only limit is your imagination,and how deep your pockets are

post #174 of 356 Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

That's cool, if you're happy.
I was just suggesting your room may feel less cave-like if all your walls/ceiling weren't the same color.
Not that the color selection was wrong...its just too much of the same color (IMHO).

As soon as I saw your pic with the angled ceiling I though of johnathan's build.

Nice looking room there. I think that careful choice of both furnishings and paint ( we have 2 different paint colors in our theater too ) can help create a theater that is both functional and comfy / inviting.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #175 of 356 Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good idea. I guess a little more variation might help the mood.

Joe -----

post #176 of 356 Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

Good idea. I guess a little more variation might help the mood.

The two-tone idea is what I did too. If you go into almost any movie theater, they use the same idea.

I painted the first couple feet of the walls black, and then dark red up to the ceiling, and seperated the two with a chair rail moulding. Breaks up the wall and looks good, just like a movie theater.
post #177 of 356 Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM

I have a relatively small 18x12 media room. I have a 106" DYI B/O cloth screen with one row of theater seating for 4 set back about 10' with my Epson 1080ub (thankyou Jason) ceiling mounted at 14'. I picked the center love seat design as it was less wide in such a narrow room and allowed snuggling room with the wife. I set up a wall mounted swingout 26" lcd for casual watching...mostly background news...during the day. I just swing it back to the wall when it is time for serious projector movie/tv watching.

At The back of the room (area about 7'x12') I set up my gaming computer (which I can plug into my A/V receiver) and my wife's business computer with a wireless home network. I designed the room during a recent remodel with double sliding pocket doors entering from the Dinning room. When closed there is no light bleed due to thin strips of dark rubber/foam insulation tape on the edge of each double door. The dinning room is mostly windows, so when I throw open the doors there is lots of light. Additionally there are two large windows. ( I figure good for resale if next owner not into batcaves) The screen for now pernamently covers one window. The other window has a very effective drop down blackout curtain that is completely blocks light.

So there is a total of 2 large windows and a 6' door opening. This room is very well lit and non claustraphobic during most of the day and yet totally dark in seconds when I want. Walls and ceiling are various shades of brown with dark rug and black accessories/furnature. Ambient light is a non-issue. We seldom entertain more than 2-4 additional folks at a time. When we do we sit behind the theater seating in our reasonably plush office chairs so company can fully enjoy our theater experience. Most nights it is just the two of us. Very nice set up. It is truly a great media room and I love it. Spend most of my time there when not beachcombing.

As far as I am concerned it is quite possible to design and put together a multipurpose media room with few compromises. For decoration I have hung my guitars on the wall (ok, they reflect a little light). So it is also my music room. Not bad for 18'x12'.
post #178 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, as it turns out. I got used to my Bat Cave, but my wife hates it. I have to beg her to watch something with me. She can last about an hour, max. It's a comfort, psychological thing. Claustrophobia, sensory deprivation, not being part of the world, who knows. I have strangled that part of my psyche to justify the cost and effort I put into it. Though I fear I am about to put in a second theater downstairs just to resolve this problem.

Joe -----

post #179 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I know that I would hate a dedicated theater/bat cave. I can't imagine wanting to spend time in there socializing with people or just hanging out watching TV. It's not like I ever want to "hang out" in a real theater. I (used to) go there, watch a movie, and get out.

Our room is a multipurpose room where we can open a whole wall of windows and let tons of light in. We can watch football on the 60" plasma on a beautiful day with the shades up, and then pull the blackout shades, lower the screen and watch a movie in the dark.

Obviously different strokes for different folks and I can see why people might dig the dedicated theater/bat cave thing. But we wouldn't like it for us.
post #180 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

I can't imagine wanting to spend time in there socializing with people or just hanging out watching TV. It's not like I ever want to "hang out" in a real theater. I (used to) go there, watch a movie, and get out.

This is EXACTLY how I use my bat-cave home theater. And, instead of hating it like you, I (and my guests) love it. There's no cable/sat box. No way to get a TV signal to it at all. We don't socialize in there. We don't "hang out". We don't watch TV. It's for watching MOVIES. I've got a living room for all that other stuff.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page