post #181 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

Well, as it turns out. I got used to my Bat Cave, but my wife hates it. I have to beg her to watch something with me. She can last about an hour, max. It's a comfort, psychological thing. Claustrophobia, sensory deprivation, not being part of the world, who knows. I have strangled that part of my psyche to justify the cost and effort I put into it. Though I fear I am about to put in a second theater downstairs just to resolve this problem.

My fiance loves my cave, at least at night. So clearly the cave is not the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

I know that I would hate a dedicated theater/bat cave. I can't imagine wanting to spend time in there socializing with people or just hanging out watching TV. It's not like I ever want to "hang out" in a real theater.

I see a screening room (whatever one wishes to name it) the same as an actual theater. I built my current house seven years ago and to this day when I walk into this room it's the same as leaving my house and walking into another world. On average I spend well less than eight hours a month in there so it has never become a casual well-known environment that I take for granted. Rather my mind is still trained that I'm going into another environment and as such my everyday thoughts disappear much like walking thru the lobby into the darken theater.

Of course entertaining wise if we wanted to have a drink I'd prefer the bar or the pool room if we wanted to play pool. I think different rooms fulfill different purposes and for me the screening room is a great escape.
post #183 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

This is EXACTLY how I use my bat-cave home theater. And, instead of hating it like you, I (and my guests) love it. There's no cable/sat box. No way to get a TV signal to it at all. We don't socialize in there. We don't "hang out". We don't watch TV. It's for watching MOVIES. I've got a living room for all that other stuff.

I agree. Once the movie is over, let's go to the living room and have some beverages.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #184 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

This is EXACTLY how I use my bat-cave home theater. And, instead of hating it like you, I (and my guests) love it. There's no cable/sat box. No way to get a TV signal to it at all. We don't socialize in there. We don't "hang out". We don't watch TV. It's for watching MOVIES. I've got a living room for all that other stuff.

Exactly! You nailed it
post #185 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 359
JHouse,

Hey, I have a very nice non-dedicated (or semi-dedicated) room on the main floor of the house and it can still be like pulling teeth to get my wife to watch a movie. She's just not into movies as much as I am and is more apt to be thinking about what to pack in the kid's lunch than about the movie we would watch. Sigh. I have to admit to some envy for those few lucky fellows whose wives/girlfriends share their film/HT passion. But it seems a lot of guys are in the same scenario as I am with my wife.

That said, since we've just begun viewing movies in my almost-finished room, my wife has indeed made it in to watch several movies and finds it very comfortable.

That said, I'm happy to report that my room, which was in it's sketch-to-construction phase when this thread began, has been a resounding success now that it actually looks like the sketch and the furniture/lighting/sound/projector/masking system is in.

It breathes with light during the day due to the light wall covering and bay windows streaming light into the room. But for a movie the automated black out blinds come down on the windows, the chocolate velvet curtains pull along the walls, the lights dim and it changes character feeling like - to me and my guests - a perfect mix of "home" and "theater." The sofa is a huge sectional, custom built with lounging depth and high enough backrests for good support, along with ottomans. The screen wall is all black, with 4 way automated 4-way masking. 7.0 surround (big L/C/Rs; don't need a sub).

I've added some big faux-fur throw blankets and cushy pillows. It's just outrageously comfortable! Guests sit down, put up their feet and go "Aaahh...I'm never leaving."

Some neighbours watched some of Star Trek 2009 Blu Ray yesterday and couldn't stop saying "wow, oh my God!" over and over. I know many projector-owners have experienced this before so it's fun to join those ranks.

What was interesting to me were comments by my brother and his wife after watching a movie in the room. The next time they saw me they said when they discussed the experience they both agreed that, even though they'd sat in several other projection set ups at friend's houses, this was the first time they actually felt taken away, like they were in a movie theater. I think the attention to presentation helps with this - the screen wall being completely black, image fully masked, speakers covered in black velvet so they are invisible, and the room made very dark with the pulled curtains.

Admittedly since I'm as obsessed with image quality as anyone else I can become envious of a dedicated theater true "bat cave." The more black added to the room, the better the movie viewing experience, in my view. I'm not sure I will ever achieve the pure image performance that someone like Mrlittlejeans gets in his true bat-cave room.

But I've struck as close a compromise to home-feeling, hang-outable vibe and theater-feel high performance as I think was possible.
post #186 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Rich I'm really happy you finally are done or almost done and enjoying it. I remember the renderings and they looked great. Have you taken any good pictures yet? Can't wait to see them!
post #187 of 356 Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All good. I left out something. And it is something of a life saver, she loves football, so that gets her in there for long stretches. Once you go 133" HD, you can't watch it on anything less. It was a cunning plan.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #188 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ron,

I keep planning to start my build thread but they are quite an undertaking and I'm so busy with work. I have all the photos during the building phase, but it's been really hard to take a decent photo of the finished product. The range of contrast just isn't working for my cheap digital camera. So a friend who is a professional photographer is going to take some snaps for me. I'll post them when I can.
post #189 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My wife watches the occasional movie with me upstairs in the theater, but most of the time prefers her HiDef 52" Mitsubishi DLP and 3.0 small Paridigm setup downstairs. Once in a while she'll have four or five girlfriends over and I'll set them up on the big screen for a Romantic Comedy or such.

I have my brother-in-law or my kids over occasionally, or a couple of guys over for a big game, but for the most part I enjoy tons of music and movies upstairs running solo. And I love it! It gives me that escape I need from the rest of the world and no one bugs me, snores, farts, or asks me to pause a movie to answer their cell phone.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #190 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I still have an old Panasonic ED 42" plasma that has served us well in the family room (with a 4.0 surround sound system).

Of course I'd like a newer plasma, but not only have I blown the budget on the projection-based room, I'm also a bit weary of replacing it with a really good, bigger flat panel as I can all too easily see my wife saying "This looks great, why did we need all that projection stuff?"

Right now the difference in image quality between the plasma and RS20 projector is in the projector's favor.

But then I have folks like my brother who owns a nice 50" Panasonic plasma, yet he was totally taken with the projected image. On watching some HD sports and some other scenes of movies he knew well, he said it was a completely different experience from what he was used to on the smaller flat screen. Now he's scheming on how to get a projector into his home.
post #191 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
My G/F loves decorating shows, sit-coms and Dr.Phil/Oprah and doesn't like movies as much as I do.
So she watches "T.V." upstairs in the Master Bedroom (50" Pio plasma). We agree there's no need to watch tv shows at 120" in 7.2 surround sound .
She can see the TV from her Den/Office upstairs from across the hall while she's working on her computer...and that's where she's happiest.

The basement "Man Cave" is very appropriately named because it's mostly used for "Larger than Life" Big Screen experiences you typically get from
Sci-Fi Movies, Action Flicks, HD Concerts/Music, Sports and PS3/XBOX Gaming. Since she hates violence and loud explosions she wont join me in the HT unless we have guests over.

So its more the content, volume, and excessive LFE that keeps her away from the cave than the dark windowless decor.
She's fine with the room itself, but I think the only times she really enjoys the Big Screen/Big Sound experience is for HD Concerts (Bluray/HD DVD or HD NET) or NHL Hockey.

She's actually turned down Freebie tickets to an Oiler's game because she'd rather see it at home on the Big screen.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #192 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I agree. Once the movie is over, let's go to the living room and have some beverages.

Hehe... we serve beverages at the bar in the back for consumption DURING the movie. And then pause for an intermission to refresh 'em.

-sc

-Steve
post #193 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I spent the last three nights in the HT room playing video games (MW2) from about 8pm to 1am...... I don't care that it is dark -- actually while all the colors are dark I made the big mistake of not painting with flat paint so it is to reflective in the ceiling. I am going to fix that and make the room darker.

It is totally off to the side so you have to go down the basement through two rooms to get there. It is meant for a enjoy the big screen room and I will never regret it. I realize everyone is different, but for those building a room and looking into this thread you just have to understand that apparently some people won't like a dark room while others will.

You can always add dimmers....
post #194 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I'm totally hooked on MW2 ! its my Sunday morning ritual.

We tend to pile up our weekly laundry until the weekend. Then I'll take a good 6-8 hours to do it all in one shot every Sunday.
The laundry room is right next to the basement HT so I change out the loads in between games.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #195 of 356 Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

..... Since she hates violence and loud explosions she wont join me in the HT unless we have guests over.

She's fine with the room itself, but I think the only times she really enjoys the Big Screen/Big Sound experience is for HD Concerts (Bluray/HD DVD or HD NET) or NHL Hockey.

She's actually turned down Freebie tickets to an Oiler's game because she'd rather see it at home on the Big screen.

Just a comment on the irony of hating movie violence, at the same time enjoying hockey.

(BTW, I don't dislike hockey, or movie violence. My parents emigrated from Fonthill, Ontario, to the states.)

I love my batcave, and guests like the theatre feel as well. I've got a 65" flat panel in the livingroom for everyday viewing.

Art
post #196 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

[OFF-TOPIC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Just a comment on the irony of hating movie violence, at the same time enjoying hockey.

I can offer deeper irony: I'm from Canada and don't care for hockey (despite coming from a hockey-fanatic family, and despite that my son and wife became hockey fanatics).

Even more ironic: I hate the fighting in hockey...but love Mixed Martial Arts like the UFC!

I guess there is just something utterly unaesthetic and brutish about hockey fights. I don't see why it's necessary in the game at all and hockey fights all seem to be instances of bad sportsmanship. Whereas the very point of MMA is a test of skills, you actually see some amazing skill, and there is generally
great sportsmanship (at least after the matches).

[/END OFF TOPIC]
post #197 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I see a screening room (whatever one wishes to name it) the same as an actual theater. I built my current house seven years ago and to this day when I walk into this room it's the same as leaving my house and walking into another world. On average I spend well less than eight hours a month in there so it has never become a casual well-known environment that I take for granted. Rather my mind is still trained that I'm going into another environment and as such my everyday thoughts disappear much like walking thru the lobby into the darken theater.

Of course entertaining wise if we wanted to have a drink I'd prefer the bar or the pool room if we wanted to play pool. I think different rooms fulfill different purposes and for me the screening room is a great escape.

This describes my set up and feeling as well - although I do manage to get in a few more hours per month Oddly enough I also built my house 7 years ago as well.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #198 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

Hehe... we serve beverages at the bar in the back for consumption DURING the movie. And then pause for an intermission to refresh 'em.

Absolutely... one of the great advantages of a home theater. Just try to order beer at a commercial theater or have them pause the movie while you get it! Ha!
post #199 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Mine isn't a dedicated theater, but it is for movies, TV and internet. It probably isn't in my nature to make a room good for only one thing, so I didn't.

I put a bar in there in the corner and when the electric screen goes up into it's enclosure, it's back to being a family room. with windows and air and light colored walls.

Some of the dedicated theaters look good. Mine? You can tell it's a theater , but it isn't a masterpiece of art. It has good interior design, with a lot of usable space and with things (like the barstools) working well and not getting in the way of viewing the big screen.

I think you don't force it. You look at the room and ask what would work best in your house in this room. I'm happy with the outcome. People like it when they visit. Then, after the movie or show, I retract the screen, put on the lights and people socialize.

I'd rather have a room people just feel like sitting down comfortably in. Mine works for me
post #200 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The location of my home theater may seem odd. It's the very first room you see in the house as you walk in the door - basically the living room (or "sitting room"). Then you continue down the hallway to the kitchen which is open and attached to the back family room.

We'd already renovated the basement as a pure kids area - and dang glad we did for our very active 2 sons. So there would be no basement-based home theater. (And I'm not a fan of basement dwelling anyway).

We already had a plasma with some surround sound in the back family room that served as my "home theater" (now I laugh: ha!) up until now. Like many families, especially with a layout like ours, we do most of our living in the kitchen/family room area. Introducing a projection-based set up into our family room just wasn't possible. Too much going on there, too many windows, too cramped with other stuff, no way for me to have a set up approaching the type of performance I'd like.

Which left the front room of the house. There is just no real use for this room for the family. Which is why I'd been the only one going in there all these years to listen to my 2 channel high-end audio gear. So I convinced my wife if we did a projection set up we'd all be able to enjoy the room. Of course, being an image quality nut I had to do it up for as high performance images (and sound) as I could, which meant the image being surrounded by black/masking, fixed screen, light control etc.

At one point in the design I tried to hide it's function as a home theater as much as possible, for instance having the screen behind curtains. For some reason my wife hated the idea of having curtains across an entire wall, thought it was "dumb...weird" so that was out. We decided to let it be what it was, so the screen is visible on the wall.
Although once all my masking panels are done I'll be able to close off the screen entirely if I wish.

But aside from the screen wall and the L/C/R speakers in front of it, the rest of the room is quite discrete in that you can see no other equipment, not even a projector.
(The projector rises on a lift from behind the viewing sofa and all my source equipment is in a room down the hall). Looks really nice during the day. But with that screen wall, it certainly makes an obvious impression to anyone coming in the front hall to look into that room. Gets a "holy cow" every time.

I think we get away with it because, as unexpected as it may be aesthetically to a visitor, it still looks really tasteful and cool so I think they appreciate it (rather than recoil in horror). At least that seems to be the reaction so far.

As much as my wife isn't into the HT thing like me, in the end boy did she ever accommodate a lot with this project.
post #201 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Do what I do, can't have a bat cave fill up the room with as many devices as you can. That will fix em.

14 high end speakers, 2 digital PJ's, 2 CRT diplays - 1 front & 1 RPTV, 14 electrical devices, 3amps 1 tube fisher, 2 SS ref surround receivers. I never get bored in this room.

Here you go welcome to my insanity / videodementia.
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/famlyr1.jpg
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/famlyr2.jpg

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #202 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #203 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All I got left is guitars marshall amps, audio TV and movies, Italian road bicycles also. I don't work anymore.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #204 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any relation to Fred Sanford?

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #205 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My stuff ain't junk.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #206 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Interesting thread. Wife and I have a dark, dark house environment. I despise the sun and hate the summer. I cannot stomach a house lit with sunlight. Thick drapes line all windows and are rarely opened.

The family room has, in addition to a 106" screen and two projectors, two large crt Tv's, two flat screen LCDs, seven communication receivers, eight vhf/uhf scanners, four minidisk recorders, various electronic devices, several hundred books, five desktop computers, four 5 watt fm transmitters, about 225 HDDVD and BD, an Uzi and a Glock 19.

Oh yes and my 18 month old daughters toys and play area are in there too.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #207 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ Since humour doesn't always translate on the interweb I gotta ask: are you kidding?
post #208 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
Maybe he's the guy from those "Twilight" movies!
post #209 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Maybe he's the guy from those "Twilight" movies!

Then he wouldn't be needing the UZI and Glock. My home protection a simple Ruger 357 magnum. But no kids around. I can appreciate the load of displays and equipment for sure.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #210 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yeah... Ex-bat-caver here. Never got a lot of use except for myself, the few people that did sit through a movie in there often came away bleary eyed from staring at something bright in a dark room.
Its strange how people don't understand the importance of waiting until at least 8pm at night and turning all the lights off to maximize contrast

Now I have come up with a decent compromise. For me, a bright DLP seems to handle ambient light better than LCD or LCOS. I'll trade perfect black levels for sharpness, colour and ANSI CR. Add to that some dark floors, an L-shaped couch, dimmable rear lighting and I have a 100" screen AND conversations.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page