I think I might hate my Bat Cave. - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 356 Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Canuck observation: Most of the time I communicate with Americans and it seems we're pretty much the same. Then out of nowhere they bring up their guns and I have that Twilight-Zone moment of "whoa...there's something different here..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Canuck observation: Most of the time I communicate with Americans and it seems we're pretty much the same. Then out of nowhere they bring up their guns and I have that Twilight-Zone moment of "whoa...there's something different here..."

I know the feeling. It's so rare here in Europe. Of all the people I know, only one guy owns a gun and he's an old pensioner and hunter living in the middle of a forest.

Different cultures for sure. Even so I think it could be fun having one shooting pumpkins or what have you (neighbors cat , no seriously I love cats). But it's kinda moot in a city.

I'm actually moving to Alberta Canada, maybe I need one in case I run into bears while hiking in nature? Are you Canucks ever afraid of wild animals like grizzlys whilst hiking or are you just counting on them leaving you alone? (Maybe there isn't any in southern Canada anyway?)
post #213 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

My stuff ain't junk.

Undoubetdly you have nice gear.

For me, however, and installation needs to look clean. Wires visibly dangling everywhere, visible splices hanging out, shelves tacked on to a surface, colors all over the map, etc... don't contribute to a "finished looking" space, and I can't enjoy it.

I built a seperate lab area for playing with gear... it closes completely off from everything else:

-sc

-Steve
post #214 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Absolutely... one of the great advantages of a home theater. Just try to order beer at a commercial theater or have them pause the movie while you get it! Ha!

Or a martini. Or pause to go to the bathroom. Or recline with a footrest. Or have hot food. Or ask them to put the Xbox up to play. Or rock the karaoke. Or watch the superbowl there.

I _LOVE_ my man cave. Actually the whole family does.

-sc

-Steve
post #215 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

I know the feeling. It's so rare here in Europe. Of all the people I know, only one guy owns a gun and he's an old pensioner and hunter living in the middle of a forest.

Different cultures for sure. Even so I think it could be fun having one shooting pumpkins or what have you (neighbors cat , no seriously I love cats). But it's kinda moot in a city.

I'm actually moving to Alberta Canada, maybe I need one in case I run into bears while hiking in nature? Are you Canucks ever afraid of wild animals like grizzlys whilst hiking or are you just counting on them leaving you alone? (Maybe there isn't any in southern Canada anyway?)

You see the USA is the land of the Free and it's free for scumbags also. Take it you hear 3 SB's in you family room at 3am. You have no protection what will you do. Honey stay here I'll take care of it, might be your last night on earth. I'll keep my 357, I have a Samurai Sword also but it's tuff to wield it in the corridor area's.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #216 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Welcome to Alberta. We usually have a couple of incidents of bear-attack deaths every year. Do not go hiking alone. Get some bear spray.
post #217 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How about an Elephant Gun. I'll be dammed if I'm going to be bear food.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #218 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904 View Post

Welcome to Alberta. We usually have a couple of incidents of bear-attack deaths every year. Do not go hiking alone. Get some bear spray.

But be warned that you can't have bear spray unless you are out hiking. My wife is not legally allowed to carry mace or pepper spray here. I don't think a taser is legal either.

I had to leave my guns in the US with my mother when I moved up here last year. It's strange to me and does feel a bit odd to know that there are guns here but only the criminals have 'em.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #219 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

. . . "whoa...there's something different here..."

That's kind of the way I feel about Canadians when I see curling.

Affable Nitwit
post #220 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Wear an ankle bell. It may be annoying, but you DON'T want to surprise a griz.
post #221 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've been Mountain Biking in the Canadian Rockies for almost 20 years now,
...and rarely see a bear on the trails. Banff and Jasper National Parks are the most popular Hiking/Biking destinations.

The only bear precautions you need are some basic information from the parks service and a bear bell on your bike/walking stick.
Typically a bear attack is a result of someone startling a bear because it didn't hear them coming around the corner.
Usually they hear you first and turn tail for the opposite direction.

The odd case of an attack on humans is usually when you get between a mother and her cubs,
or an overly aggressive male during certain times of the year.
Grizzlies are not very common unless you go further north, but
The Parks Service provides more information on Bear activiy right at the Park gates, or you can do what I do...
Visit the local Bike shop to find out which trails and areas Bikers have reported bear sightings and you'll get a very good idea of which areas to avoid during certain times of the year.

Way more people die in highway auto collisions with other drivers on the way to the parks than from wild animal attacks.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #222 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

That's kind of the way I feel about Canadians when I see curling.

LOL. Same here.
post #223 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

To be fair, the whole got my uzi in the living room thing is more than a little fringe, even for americans.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #224 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

You see the USA is the land of the Free and it's free for scumbags also. Take it you hear 3 SB's in you family room at 3am. You have no protection what will you do. Honey stay here I'll take care of it, might be your last night on earth. I'll keep my 357, I have a Samurai Sword also but it's tuff to wield it in the corridor area's.

You shout-"Hey! I'm on the phone with the cops!!!" And stay in the bedroom. Most likely they will make a run for it. This way I think you will have a higher chance of getting away unscathed than trying to confront them with a gun.

But I also see you point. You feel violated by them breaking in and threatening you in your own house. You don't want to take that kind of crap.

I know the feeling, I have been held up by a guy threatening me with a knife in the city center but I just could't bear giving him my wallet. Then, in my mind, he would have won and I would have felt I couldn't even be safe in my own hometown. So I refused and luckily got away with it. Still, statistically speaking, I think you'd live longer not trying to confront criminals...
post #225 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

The odd case of an attack on humans is usually when you get between a mother and her cubs,
or an overly aggressive male during certain times of the year.
Grizzlies are not very common unless you go further north, but
The Parks Service provides more information on Bear activiy right at the Park gates, or you can do what I do...
Visit the local Bike shop to find out which trails and areas Bikers have reported bear sightings and you'll get a very good idea of which areas to avoid during certain times of the year.

Way more people die in highway auto collisions with other drivers on the way to the parks than from wild animal attacks.

Fear is rarely rational. Still, being chewed up by a grizzly is ghastly! I'd rather die ten times in car accidents...

What if it's an old starving bear that can't hunt elk anymore and berries and salmon are out? Haven't you seen "the Edge"? I would feel a bit uncomfortable confronting him with a bell or mace.

However, I guess I'd better just go with someone experienced and try not to look like a tender rump steak if I ever run into a bear.
post #226 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You shout-"Hey! I'm on the phone with the cops!!!" And stay in the bedroom. Most likely they will make a run for it. This way I think you will have a higher chance of getting away unscathed than trying to confront them with a gun.

But I also see you point. You feel violated by them breaking in and threatening you in your own house. You don't want to take that kind of crap.

I know the feeling, I have been held up by a guy threatening me with a knife in the city center but I just could't bear giving him my wallet. Then, in my mind, he would have won and I would have felt I couldn't even be safe in my own hometown. So I refused and luckily got away with it. Still, statistically speaking, I think you'd live longer not trying to confront criminals...

LOL. I'm sure the bad guys would turn and run. It never takes cops five minutes or more to get to the house (or even to get 911 to answer).

post #227 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

One of my best friends is a Sheriff's Deputy. We've discussed his work often.

Guys who think a gun is the answer are living in macho delusion. You need training and experience... not just target practice. You have to know when to use it at a moment's notice and then USE it. If you threaten with it or hesitate, a "bad guy" who knows what he's doing will take it away from you. You want to take that chance? You want to depend on the bad guy cowering? You want to give the bad guy a gun through your inexperience and hesitation? No me!

So then you determine you have to use it right away. And, you have no training in immediate life or death decision making. But you're still scared so you shoot the wrong guy. Having guns at home for protection is just dumb. You're going to get yourself killed or kill one of your family. Ignorance is fine except when it comes to killing people.
post #228 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

LOL. I'm sure the bad guys would turn and run. It never takes cops five minutes or more to get to the house (or even to get 911 to answer).

Doesn't matter if you have them on the phone or not. You can bluff. The burglars are under tremendous stress and they don't know how long you've been on the phone. Also they have no incitement to come in and shoot you or your wife.

If you go at them with a gun, even if you catch them with surprise, there might be another guy you didn't see coming out from the hallway on your side or behind you. Ops...

Or worse still, it's your son coming home late drunk and you don't see much in the dark...
post #229 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

My wife hates my man cave but I think it's because it is pitch black and a Toronto house centipede dropped into her lap from the ceiling one night while we were watching a movie.

post #230 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

My wife hates my man cave but I think it's because it is pitch black and a Toronto house centipede dropped into her lap from the ceiling one night while we were watching a movie.

If it's literally a cave complete with critters I can understand why she doesn't want to see movies there.
post #231 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

One of my best friends is a Sheriff's Deputy. We've discussed his work often.

Guys who think a gun is the answer are living in macho delusion. You need training and experience... not just target practice. You have to know when to use it at a moment's notice and then USE it. If you threaten with it or hesitate, a "bad guy" who knows what he's doing will take it away from you. You want to take that chance? You want to depend on the bad guy cowering? You want to give the bad guy a gun through your inexperience and hesitation? No me!

So then you determine you have to use it right away. And, you have no training in immediate life or death decision making. But you're still scared so you shoot the wrong guy. Having guns at home for protection is just dumb. You're going to get yourself killed or kill one of your family. Ignorance is fine except when it comes to killing people.

Sorry, you are just plain wrong. I have no kids in the house, no one who could accidentally handle my weapons, and so I have no fear of anyone but me having access to them. Trust me, in an emergency the bad guys would be dead, wounded, or scared off! No shooting my drunk son, no having a moments doubt, etc. Most of the world live in fear and trust "someone else" to protect them. We in the states have a constitutional right to bear arms, and most of us know how to use them! I feel very secure knowing that the jerk who breaks down my door will never do it again!
post #232 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:

^^^^ Since humour doesn't always translate on the interweb I gotta ask: are you kidding?

Nope! Not kidding at all!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #233 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

To be fair, the whole got my uzi in the living room thing is more than a little fringe, even for americans.

The first time my brother in law (who is a cop) walked into the family room and saw the UZI he flipped out. I had to explain that it is not fully auto and is completely legal. It is a great conversation piece but does tend to jam too often.

In Ohio we not only have concealed carry but we also have the "castle doctrine" in law. Anyone attempts to enter my home or car without my permission I can/will blow them away in the doorway/window.

I live in a upscale area but we get degenerates trying to get in late at night, One mile from my home, four welfare "thugs" tried to enter a home at 1:00am. The owner killed the first two as they entered his back door..the other two ran off.

I can hit a 4x6 index card with 15/15 clip at 75 feet. The laser sight on my Glock is infallible

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #234 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

In Ohio we not only have concealed carry but we also have the "castle doctrine" in law.

Same applies in California. No carry permit for regular joe's though. You gotta have a good reason.
post #235 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Sorry, you are just plain wrong. I have no kids in the house, no one who could accidentally handle my weapons, and so I have no fear of anyone but me having access to them. Trust me, in an emergency the bad guys would be dead, wounded, or scared off! No shooting my drunk son, no having a moments doubt, etc. Most of the world live in fear and trust "someone else" to protect them. We in the states have a constitutional right to bear arms, and most of us know how to use them! I feel very secure knowing that the jerk who breaks down my door will never do it again!

Strange. I haven't lived in fear for the most part. I've lived in many places in Toronto, and never had to give much thought to all these violent life and death scenarios that you seem to dwell on so deeply you feel you have to arm yourself with weapons. I don't get the sense that your being armed to the gills actually makes you safer or that I live in more fear than you do.

There's a strange "delight" one sees in several of the gun owners, concerning how they can kill intruders as they wish. I just haven't grow up with that type of attitude
encouraged by my society. It's hard to see how it's a good thing in the big scheme of things, especially if a society ultimately wishes to reduce violence.

But then...my society isn't so pro-gun so going around shooting each other and trying to out-arm the other guy isn't big on the agenda.
post #236 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trust me, in an emergency the bad guys would be dead, wounded, or scared off! No shooting my drunk son, no having a moments doubt, etc.

Problem is, you just don't know. You can't know. There's no way to know. Life is not the movies. Macho declarations won't save your life. Proper training can.
Quote:

We in the states have a constitutional right to bear arms, and most of us know how to use them!

I know how to use guns too. Dad was a crack shot and taught me what he knew. I used to practice with my buddy at the range all the time.
post #237 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But then...my society isn't so pro-gun so going around shooting each other and trying to out-arm the other guy isn't big on the agenda.

Ha! Nicely put!
post #238 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, whatever my views on the whole gun-owning thing, I luv Americans. Truth. I always admire how outgoing and friendly I find most people whenever I travel to the U.S.A.
post #239 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Strange. I haven't lived in fear for the most part. I've lived in many places in Toronto, and never had to give much thought to all these violent life and death scenarios that you seem to dwell on so deeply you feel you have to arm yourself with weapons. I don't get the sense that your being armed to the gills actually makes you safer or that I live in more fear than you do.

There's a strange "delight" one sees in several of the gun owners, concerning how they can kill intruders as they wish. I just haven't grow up with that type of attitude
encouraged by my society. It's hard to see how it's a good thing in the big scheme of things, especially if a society ultimately wishes to reduce violence.

Great for you but I had two dudes at the door of my bands pratice loft Brooklyn NY. It was just me and my girlfriend. They just had knives and said they would cut my throat we're coming in. Nope I had no gun overpowered both of them, both went to jail for 2 counts of assualt 1 with a deadly weapon. Sometimes the good guy wins, I did.
I guess this is why I'm happy with my 357.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #240 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:

No offense intended , but to quote a well known movie, "By the blood of my people are your lands kept safe." A good part of the world can sleep safe tonight thanks to the USA, and most in the USA can sleep safe thanks to our Bill Of Rights!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page