I think I might hate my Bat Cave. - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow. Derailed. You guys should shoot it out.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 356 Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

For me, however, and installation needs to look clean. Wires visibly dangling everywhere, visible splices hanging out, shelves tacked on to a surface, colors all over the map, etc... don't contribute to a "finished looking" space, and I can't enjoy it.

-sc

So this doesn't impress you?

post #243 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

At least the mess is behind you when you're watching a film.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #244 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

BTW, whatever my views on the whole gun-owning thing, I luv Americans. Truth. I always admire how outgoing and friendly I find most people whenever I travel to the U.S.A.

Just be sure that you ask permission before you come into our homes! I wouldn't attend any any surprise parties in Ohio . . . just in case.

Affable Nitwit
post #245 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

sweet, what wire management brand do you use?

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Automation Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #246 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

BTW, that looks like a brutal room for a projection set up. Small with nothing but bright surfaces - a perfect storm for destroying contrast. It sort of amazes me when someone is into the hobby enough to buy all that equipment but doesn't take any (often easy) steps to make their room suitable for good performance.

Have you considered painting darker? What screen do you use? (And, perhaps the front of your room has some treatment we don't see in your photo).

Just curious.

Rich H

post #247 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
It looks like the room doesn't lead to other rooms. I would go with Crimson on the lower walls and black on the ceiling and side angled walls. Or at least a dark Navy. The wires well I should talk (my sigtag) at least get a nice open rack and face the wires to the wall. Two simple fixes could make a huge different specially for that projector. Did they lower the price for the lamps on that puppy?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #248 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

you don't want to spend a lot of time in a dark theater.

Speak for yourself. I LOVE the feeling of "getting away from it all" in my theater. The sense of losing oneself in a film, of being transported to another time and place, is MUCH stronger when I'm in a place dedicated to watching movies.
post #249 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow. Derailed. You guys should shoot it out.

Awesomest comment on AVS in months, and a fitting end (one hopes) to annoying off-topic bluster. Thanks.

On topic: I love that my cavey HT is different from the rest of the house. But I think it's good news that it's easy to change that--with a new paint job--if someone makes their theater that way and then doesn't like it. I mean, it's not a structural problem; just change the dark paint to something less dark.
post #250 of 356 Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 PM

This is a funny thread! Perhaps there is a connection between sitting in a dark room and owning a gun?

Anyway, My theater is gray with a creme colored ceiling and my man cave has dark blue walls and a creme color ceiling. I started to paint the ceiling dark as well but my cave is small (10'x11'). I'm afraid my room will feel like I'm wearing it rather than being in it. I've found that it's easier to immerse one's self in the movie if the screen wall is dark and without distractions like led lights, etc.

The rest of the room isn't as important.

I worry sometimes that in pursuit of the ultimate experience we go to far. Eventually we will be suspended in a salt bath because we don't want to be distracted by the touch of the sofa and our AV equipment will jack directly into our brains through a plug behind our left ear....

Of course, then we will argue about the quality of the salt and the signal carrying capacity of the conduit to the plug.

But that's Audio/ Video Science.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #251 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, several things about that picture impress me:

- The owner's confidence he has in his sense of balance as he stacks his gear on stairwell endcaps

- the clever use of cool attic air to cool that hot-running speaker

- mounting a $10K Ruby projector with sheetrock anchors

- cleverly knocking down sub vibrations by thinking outside the box and putting a towel on TOP of the cabinet

Clearly this man appreciates the best...he has an expensive projector and nothing less than the best will do!

-sc

-Steve
post #252 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

Actually, several things about that picture impress me:

The funny thing is, that setup is still probably pretty enjoyable once the lights are off.

- Chris
post #253 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

The funny thing is, that setup is still probably pretty enjoyable once the lights are off.

- Chris

Not for me... I'd be annoyed just knowing about it in the back of my mind.

-sc

-Steve
post #254 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you for my Sunday laugh, scaesare!

Rich H

post #255 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Speak for yourself. I LOVE the feeling of "getting away from it all" in my theater. The sense of losing oneself in a film, of being transported to another time and place, is MUCH stronger when I'm in a place dedicated to watching movies.

Good point. Movies are largely about fantasy anyway. The old (commercial) movie theaters were much better about that, more luxury. It too was sort of a special place. Now they build higher tech warehouses that you can hear the warehouse "nextdoor" rumbling, and the 14 year old teenage girl texting one row down. OK, rant over. Back home....
PS. Gosh, I LOVE that photo. Yea, having any "under 13" kids over w/ their family would petrify me. Hope he has insurance. I wonder what the FRONT of the room looks like !
post #256 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Hi, my name is Phil and I have conflicting thoughts about my bat cave!

I have done the whole deal with black chairs, a raised second row, "mouse ears" black paint and plan on dark rugs as well. It is totally insulated and I used green glue with two layers of 5/8" drywall all around as well as a floating floor and am building my own high end speakers as well. Once all that's done, I'll do the final room tuning with absorption/reflection etc.

However, I don't use it all the time either. For most viewing I use a 55" Samsung LEDTV in the great room. Still, when I want to relax and get away from it all, I do go in there and when we have friends over, we go in and watch but, as mentioned by someone else, when it's done we quickly exit back to the great room for coffee and a snack and some fine discussion.

One thing that I think limits me is lamp cost so I will upgrade to an LED projector once JVC comes out with a reasonably priced one. I bought an RS-2 when they first came out and are through about 1.25 bulbs. My guess is when I'm through the second, or third at the latest, bulb the price will be right for an upgrade.

While I don't regret doing what I have, it is definitely being used less than expected. Since we built our own house, we are not entertaining as much as we would like so we will likely use it more in the future.
post #257 of 356 Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I understand the "getting away from it" effect that some love about their bat cave/dedicated theater.

In my view, or at least in my experience, the "getting away/getting lost" in the movie cinematic effect comes not as much from the distance of the room from other rooms in the house (so long as house noise isn't intruding) but from the presentation within the room. The more the room is removed, visually, during the movie the more cinematic/immersed/getting lost in the movie occurs. That is what I attempt to do as much as possible even though my HT is in the front main floor room in our house. The use of non-reflective materials (in my case velvet) to cut out visual distractions and light reflections in the room really help the transported to the movie effect.

I also find that the easy access to my room has me using it practically every day, either for listening to music or watching content.

(Again, I don't think my approach is "better" than a dedicated theater...just a preference I'm working with).

Rich H

post #258 of 356 Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: Attitude of 20 year old offspring. He can't stand to just hang out in the theater. He says it is just like the commercial movies in that it is great for a movie, but then you want to bug out. The problem is I use my pj for a lot of TV as well as movies. And since I am completely spoiled by the picture, I think our 65" LCD is a postage stamp. Can't enjoy watching it hardly at all. Just the news. So we tried it with some subtle ambient lights on (which don't shine on the screen) and he thought that felt much more comfortable.

I guess that is what I was feeling at the outset. Watch a movie/show for a couple of hours and then you get the need to run for daylight. The problem is, I built it, and now I'm stuck with it. So I'm having to acclimate myself to it. Sweet Lemons.

I am seriously thinking of sticking a pj and screen in the living room that is right around the corner from the kitchen. And then I get "How many theaters do you need?"

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

post #259 of 356 Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Liked: 17
Interesting read. I personally am in the process of converting my home theater into a Bat Cave. I guess I am coming from the other end of the spectrum, where I cannot stand the distractions of lighter paint and carpeted room with a white ceiling. I guess time will tell whether I will love or hate it, but I doubt I will hate it. Just finished painting the ceiling & screen wall black and although its made the room smaller I am loving it immensely. For me it feels more warm and cozy instantly. But for others I could see it being extremely claustrophobic. Luckily I don't have that problem. But if you are at all a person who gets claustrophobic or has family members who are, maybe a Bat Cave isn't right for you.

TIL ALL ARE ONE
post #260 of 356 Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It appears that a lot of it comes down to how you use your pj. If it is TV, whether movies or shows or sports, and it is your primary pass time, meaning it's on all the time, then you probably don't want to do that in a remote theater-like atmosphere. That's what a family room is for. Obviously I need both, and thinking I was going to do all my viewing in an "optimum" space was a mistake. I'll be interested to see how often I go back to the theater when I have the equivalent set up conveniently located in the center of the house.

Joe -----

post #261 of 356 Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I have a 65 inch TV in the living room for "light" viewing, so my theater room doesn't have to do "double duty".
post #262 of 356 Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

BTW, that looks like a brutal room for a projection set up. Small with nothing but bright surfaces - a perfect storm for destroying contrast. It sort of amazes me when someone is into the hobby enough to buy all that equipment but doesn't take any (often easy) steps to make their room suitable for good performance.

Have you considered painting darker? What screen do you use? (And, perhaps the front of your room has some treatment we don't see in your photo).

Just curious.

Rich,

It's an old pic I found and posted it for laughs. It was a temporary setup.

post #263 of 356 Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Rich,

It's an old pic I found and posted it for laughs. It was a temporary setup.

THANK GOODNESS !! I was about to send the " Extreme Home Theater Makeover " people your way..............

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #264 of 356 Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Liked: 13
We don't no how much we'd miss it, if it was gone.
I have mixed thoughts on my room, I would love to have family room that wouldn't leak sound like most rooms do!, but when I have 6-8 guys over for ufc in my HT room and while wife and kids sleep no problems. Every time I have some over for dinner and a movie, they just go WOW (I did my job ok
What I don't like is all the gear that I have in the only used for almost one purpose.
In the end, if i could have family room with sound not bothering my family, I would rather have that. But we do enjoy our little HT room very much.

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #265 of 356 Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I have a 65 inch TV in the living room for "light" viewing, so my theater room doesn't have to do "double duty".

Same here. My batcave is my "escape" room. Everyone who sees it, loves watching movies in there, and would like something similar - but most don't have an extra room to pull it off.

Art
post #266 of 356 Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

Good point. Movies are largely about fantasy anyway. The old (commercial) movie theaters were much better about that, more luxury. It too was sort of a special place. Now they build higher tech warehouses that you can hear the warehouse "nextdoor" rumbling, and the 14 year old teenage girl texting one row down. OK, rant over. Back home....
PS. Gosh, I LOVE that photo. Yea, having any "under 13" kids over w/ their family would petrify me. Hope he has insurance. I wonder what the FRONT of the room looks like !

Just told the 13 year old visitor to put the phone down the other night. It started with him going into the HT with my laptop and I said "it isn't allowed in there". He asked why but was just told that it wasn't allowed. Then during the movie I start hearing the texting and I told him to turn that off. Funny when you get annoyed by the same things in both the real theater and at home. Made me appreciate the next movie even more though (he wasn't there)

Can't wait for my own kids to grow up........
post #267 of 356 Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It appears that a lot of it comes down to how you use your pj. If it is TV, whether movies or shows or sports, and it is your primary pass time, meaning it's on all the time, then you probably don't want to do that in a remote theater-like atmosphere. That's what a family room is for. Obviously I need both, and thinking I was going to do all my viewing in an "optimum" space was a mistake. I'll be interested to see how often I go back to the theater when I have the equivalent set up conveniently located in the center of the house.

For me the answer is all the time. I have a 50-inch upstairs and I still watch movies in the HT as often as possible. When the dinner is eaten, dishes are done and the kids in bed then there is no hesitation on where to watch a movie. Now if we just want to watch TV then it is in the living room, but for movies we are both set on watching them downstairs.
post #268 of 356 Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think some guys might be looking for these pictures, so forgive the bump.

Joe -----

post #269 of 356 Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Excellent thread and points OP. I had the EXACT same thing and feelings. Once we bought our house a few years ago I converted one of the larger bedrooms into my home theater room. While at first it was super awesome over time I got to where I would hardly ever go in there and just felt shut off from everyone else and most of the time I was in there alone so it wasn't much fun. I recently decided to give that room up and make it my daughters new room so she has more room and converted her old room to a playroom. I am super happy I made that decision. I decided to move my equipment to the living room but after a few months still haven't gotten it solidified yet. In the old theater room I was using a fixed frame carada screen that was just beautiful but had to sell it since we are trying to use a 47" vizio for our tv viewing and a motorized screen to come down in front of it when we want to watch on the big screen.

However, problem I'm running into is that I can't find a good screen because they all end up with waves and the PQ on them can't compare to what the carada was giving me. I thought about just getting a mits 82" DLP tv instead of using a projector but decided against it since I don't wanna lose the big immersive impact of a huge screen. I was using a 120" carada and now can go for another 120" or possibly up to 130".

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 47" vizio, getting another Carada screen and just using that for all viewing. Problem is since it's in the living room during the daytime there will be some light so i'm not sure how much it will wash out the pic. Also, the wife doesn't really like that idea but I cannot find a motorized or pulldown screen to get that is satisfactory or has no waves.
post #270 of 356 Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is the room. There are a couple of more on page 4 of the thread, I think.

'
Wow, I just got my 4000 the other day and I didnt know you can get away with something like that all closed in, im shocked

Rich
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page