JVC750 vs. Runco1100 (not Ultra) vs. McIntosh MDLP-1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a media room, I'm considering the 3 projectors, all priced within a $1k of each other. Can anyone offer their views on the best of the 3 to pursue? The Runco is a demo. The JVC and McIntosh are new. All come w/ warranty. I plan on having a 100" screen, medium throw lens. Any expertise is appreciated for this novice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

If they are all within 1K. I'm betting the 750 gets the most recommendations. I've had the RS10 and it's a killer machine. The Runco is going to get bashed, but it shouldn't. I've seen it in person and it is a very nice machine. It is just too far behind everything else for similar money now. The McIntosh is based off the old RS2 right? If that is the case I still couldn't see the RS20 (750) not beating it. With the CMS, brighter and better Contrast ratio the 750 should win that war too. The bottom line is you're not going to find many things recommended above the 750 right now, unless you get into the extreme dollar ranges.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

The McIntosh is based off the old RS2 right? If that is the case I still couldn't see the RS20 (750) not beating it. With the CMS, brighter and better Contrast ratio the 750 should win that war too.

The McIntosh is a DC3 DLP. Maybe add the Planar PD8150 to the mix?
post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Ah. For some reason the Meridian version of the RS2 came to my mind. Then I'm not familiar with that one at all.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The MacIntosh is nothing more than a relabeled Marantz proj. for thousands more than the Marantz. Mac does NOTHING to the Marantz to change it. Marantz is leaving the projector business this year, and with that the Mac will go too. Marantz is hardly going to make Mac projectors for the few fools idiotic enough to but it at some 3 times the cost of the Marantz ($10k).
post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm guessing the OP saw these three at a single custom installer / dealer. I recommend looking at a couple of others in the area that may have other options such as the Meridian, Sim2, Sony etc. While the RS20/750 is easy to recommend, there are some cases where a DLP might please as well. Never hurts to shop around.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

The MacIntosh is nothing more than a relabeled Marantz proj. for thousands more than the Marantz. Mac does NOTHING to the Marantz to change it. Marantz is leaving the projector business this year, and with that the Mac will go too. Marantz is hardly going to make Mac projectors for the few fools idiotic enough to but it at some 3 times the cost of the Marantz ($10k).

This sort of nonsense practiced by the likes of McIntosh , Meridian and Dreamvision really makes me angry. Its a big "up yours" to the consumer especially in the current economic climate.

When you consider the reputation that some of these companies have in other areas it really makes me wonder why they thought this sort of practice would benefit them in any way.

digital film janitor
post #8 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

So is the consensus that the McIntosh MDLP is an inferior product and not to pursue it, vs. Runco and JVC? The lens and specs of the McIntosh were the draw to it. I'm down to the final hour of a decision, and any final thoughts and expertise is appreciated.

The JVC750 is all over the forums in a predominantly positive light as the projector to beat?

Many thanks to all!
post #9 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I'd say of the three you mention the HD750 has the smallest chance for buyer's remorse. I'd go with it of the three.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrown42 View Post

So is the consensus that the McIntosh MDLP is an inferior product and not to pursue it, vs. Runco and JVC? The lens and specs of the McIntosh were the draw to it. I'm down to the final hour of a decision, and any final thoughts and expertise is appreciated.

The JVC750 is all over the forums in a predominantly positive light as the projector to beat?

Many thanks to all!

Have you actually demo'd any of these projectors? The RS20/HD750 whilst good (I have a HD350 myself) does suffer slightly from motion blur, which some people find annoying. The Marantz rebadged may well have better ANSI contrast than the HD750, but you (or your family) might be effected by DLP's 'rainbow effect'. I have read little about the Runco, so can't comment either way, but there are also models from Sim2, Sony and others that might be worth a demo also. Considering the amount you are spending, it would be foolhardy to buy on someone else's say so, as it's you that has to watch it not them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #11 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Runco 1100 - Lumens is 442-587; Ft Lamberts: 14.5-21.6
McIntosh MDLP1 - Lumens 700; Ft Lamberts: 29
JVC750 - 900 Lumens

Regarding specs, processors, technologies, and lens; I'm not really sure how all these characteristics are pulled together to evaluate the most desirable option.

I have not found any public communications regarding Marantz going away.

McIntosh seems to have a cult following, and for the rest of the passionate AV space, there appears to be a very strong aversion based on their strategy to not lead with technology.

Again, any final thoughts by the experts on this forum are very much appreciated.

Thank you
post #12 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Runco 1100 - Lumens is 442-587; Ft Lamberts: 14.5-21.6
McIntosh MDLP1 - Lumens 700; Ft Lamberts: 29
JVC750 - 900 Lumens

Regarding specs, processors, technologies, and lens; I'm not really sure how all these characteristics are pulled together to evaluate the most desirable option.

I have not found any public communications regarding Marantz going away.

McIntosh seems to have a cult following, and for the rest of the passionate AV space, there appears to be a very strong aversion based on their strategy to not lead with technology.

Again, any final thoughts by the experts on this forum are very much appreciated.

Thank you

I have an RS20 and recommend it highly. You would gain a lot from viewing as many different projectors and screens as you can ahead of time, but if you are not able to do that, you would at least be safer with the RS20 in that there should be a decent market for used RS20s for quite a while, whereas you might have problems unloading the less popular projectors. Also, if this will be your first projector, you will likely appreciate the installation flexibilty the RS20 has over just about every DLP projector made.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions for external scaler/processor for the JVC? Is it necessary?
post #14 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any suggestions for external scaler/processor for the JVC? Is it necessary?

GregR's review indicated there were issues scaling from DVDs, and that it was preferably to just output 1080p24 to the projector.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

mabrown42-

Specs., etc. should generally be ignored as there is no uniform standard for them and a maker can pretty much claims what it wants.

The MacIntosh is not an inferior proj. It is a grossly overpriced Marantz proj. which is excellent and goes for about $10k now. My concern would be with Marantz ( and with it Mac) getting out of the proj. business, and attendant problems with parts and repairs, a problem with which I am unfortunately familiar.

I would strongly urge you to take a look at the Planar PD8150 (MSRP $7K; call AVS). It has gotten excellent reviews, is nearly perfectly calibrated out of the box, and is Kris Deering's current reference projector.

Since Planar owns Runco and Vidikron, dealers for those lines can get the Planar, even if they fib and say they can't or profess ignorance(they know).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page