Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrak View Post

Those severeal LCDs work with the same setup as Epson (big screen / high lumen output)? I'm just curious, is it really issue with your pj, or maybe settings are extremely rare? Of course, I'm not supose that is your fault, those settings are not exceed manufacturer clamis.

Yes, I've always had the same setup (same screen, same position of projector, always set to maximum light output, etc.) I don't understand why the high brightness setting should be a problem at all. Today I've checked the temperature of the projector and the exhausted air, but it's not very hot - just warm maybe. And if it was too hot, the projector should shut down anyway before getting damaged. It's really a mystery to me why this is happening...

Also, even if there would be a warning in the manual about burn in, it should not happen after 30 minutes...

Regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
well thats LCD for you, same thing happened to my lcd unit, just gotta get those good warranties and juice them for it
post #33 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You like torch mode? These are the consequences.
I hope Epson helps you out.

Best of luck
post #34 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

You like torch mode? These are the consequences.
I hope Epson helps you out.

Best of luck

So you're saying it's my own fault because I use the device as it's supposed to? Let me remind you: here in Europe, they sell the TW5000 as a "Light Power Edition" with an additional lens filter (for color correction) and the explicit instruction to set the projector to the highest brightness output...

Regards!
post #35 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't have a LCD projector currently, but when I had one, I don't remember noticing this effect. What's interesting is my LCD TV has image retention, big time. If I watch an hour of 4:3 TV, and then switch to a 16:9 movie, I can see the bars very clearly.
post #36 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHoefler View Post

So you're saying it's my own fault because I use the device as it's supposed to? Let me remind you: here in Europe, they sell the TW5000 as a "Light Power Edition" with an additional lens filter (for color correction) and the explicit instruction to set the projector to the highest brightness output...

Regards!

It doesn't give warning that using in the 2 brightest modes will damage your equipment. It does say it may shorten bulb life. The changes to an all inorganic light engine was "supposed" to eliminate these issues. I'm a bit concerned that this may not be the case. In my view, the manufacturer should not allow the user to drive the projector hard enough to break it.
post #37 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am saying a calibrated reasonable ftl would be easier on the projector in this regard.

I still hope Epson helps you out on it.
post #38 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Tomorrow, the projector will be picked up for repair again. I'll report back how it goes...

Regards!
post #39 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I got the replacement projector yesterday and I followed the same routine as last time: put it in lamp mode high, color mode vivid, iris off and switched on the projector menu. Then I tried to set it up properly (zoom, focus and lens shift) which again took about 30 minutes due to the crappy mechanic of the lens shift.

After that, I displayed the gray test image and voila: the menu was burned in again! So it's not only my unit, but obviously all TW5000s. Maybe it only affects the units from the first batch? The loaner device was also on FW 1.05 so probably from an old production just like mine.

I then tried to get rid of the burned in menu by watching 30 minutes of a movie. After that, the menu was only visible very faintly (but it was still there). Now I set the lamp mode to low and we watched a complete 2.35:1 movie (1:30 hours). After that, the menu was gone but the black bars showed clearly! I then switched on the menu again and left it for 15 minutes. Sure enough, the menu was burned in again.

So it seems that the lamp mode doesn't make much difference. It seems as if the burn in was a bit slower at low lamp mode, but it still occurs after a couple of minutes.

Something is wrong with these projectors! Let's see what Epson has to say about this.

Regards!
post #40 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHoefler View Post

Ok, I got the replacement projector yesterday and I followed the same routine as last time: put it in lamp mode high, color mode vivid, iris off and switched on the projector menu. Then I tried to set it up properly (zoom, focus and lens shift) which again took about 30 minutes due to the crappy mechanic of the lens shift.

Regards!

Turn it down and you will alleviate the problems.

I agree you are using it within Epsons design parameters but it is very clearly not working in your situation.
post #41 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

No, I won't turn it down, because I specifically bought the "Light Power Edition" because I need it to fill my large screen (355x200 cm)! Also, I already tried the low lamp mode (as you can read in my last message) and it showed the same problem! And I don't care if it takes 15 minutes to burn in or 30 minutes - this must not happen at all! If I use a device according to it's specification (and even exactly to it's recommendation for the Light Power Edition), I expect it to work and not show any defects after a few minutes...

Regards!
post #42 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

I'm somewhat shocked that folks are defending epson to this extent - there are plenty of us who need to use their projectors at their brightest setting, something epson played to by introducing the LPE version of the 6500. Blaming the victim is the sort of fanboy behavior you see in discussions of the playstation vs. the xbox, and wholly unbecoming here. Epson deserves credit that they are replacing his unit, but if they can't provide a unit that doesn't produce this fairly serious image flaw (that we can all see in his photo) then they should refund him and admit that, in this particular design mode, it is a lemon. There are no two ways about this - telling someone they shouldn't expect a $3k projector to work within it's advertised specs without failure is just plain odd.
post #43 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Someone used a car analogy earlier. If you drove around everywhere at 5000 RPM, chances are the car is going to have issues... Worse fuel mileage, more noise, more cooling issues, reduced longevity and reliability... Although technically you're within normal operating parameters.
post #44 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 View Post

Someone used a car analogy earlier. If you drove around everywhere at 5000 RPM, chances are the car is going to have issues... Worse fuel mileage, more noise, more cooling issues, reduced longevity and reliability... Although technically you're within normal operating parameters.

Not even close - and not the analogy the earlier poster was making - a street car is not designed to be driven steadily at the redline. If you were to do so when going in for warranty service the computer would rat you out and your warranty would be voided, various makers use "racing" or "abuse" as the qualifier in their warranties. For that matter automakers don't advertise that their cars are designed to run steadily at a set high rpm - Epson has expressly promoted the high lumen level at which the 6x series can run and they are aware that many non-batcave users purchase it specifically for that ability (otherwise why waste marketing time and money creating a "light power edition"?) This user deserves the support of the community and Epson needs to make him whole. So far they have been working with him and should be applauded for doing so, but a flaw is a flaw, and needs to be finally resolved.
post #45 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I tend to think this is just image retention, not really burn in.
Not really sure. I mean, a ton of these have been sold and most everybody seems very happy with them.
post #46 of 46 Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 PM

I have a Epson B-824H LCD projector and the RED stopped showing in al images. Tested cables with showed that they were working ok, I've managed to open it and get to the LCD panels and it seems it is the RED that is faulty. I don't seem to be able to locate the part. Can I use any make/model LCD panel or does it have to be exactly the same one? Will this fix the problem?? The projector is about 2 years old.

Thanks!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page