Mitsubishi HC6800 LCD HD Projector (30,000:1 on/off) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1121 Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking more in depth for warranty coverage for Mitsubishi HC6800 and HC7000 projectors in Canada and I found that the overview of warranty coverage that I saw on the HC7000 webpage was not complete. Previously I said that the lamp warranty was only 90-days, but that is incorrect. They do state on the HC7000 page that the lamp warranty is 90 days, but if you look on the HC6800 page, they give more complete info and in fact, if you download the warranty PDF, they give all the warranty info for all models. It's quite a good warranty, and in fact, better than most others. Here is the relevant information for most of the current and more recent models and a link to the PDF on the Mitsubishi Canada website:

WARRANTY PERIOD (from verifiable purchase date)
HC3000, HC3800, HC4900, HC5000, HC5500, HC6000, HC6500, HC6800, HC7000 Home Theatre Projectors (Excluding Light Source Lamp)
= Two Years Part & Labor

Lamp Warranty:
Original Factory Installed Light Source Lamp (for all projectors) 1-Year or 500 hours(whichever comes first) Parts Only

Replacement Light Source Lamp (for all projectors) 90 Days or 500 hours
(whichever comes first) Parts Only

http://www.mitsubishielectric.ca/en/..._Statement.pdf

So when you buy a new Mitsubishi projector, you're good for at least a year or 500 hours with a new bulb. That's pretty good. Just thought I'd clear that up.
cpc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1121 Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
todd03blown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooters23 View Post

htr1:

Your room is fairly large. You should consider a larger screen as 92" is not terrbily big.

One option is to simply project onto the wall and adjust for different screen sizes to see what you are comfortable with. You can then purchase a screen to match your size requirements.

Good luck!

My HT room is 20x18 and I went with a 125" diag screen and it fits the room perfectly.
todd03blown is offline  
post #543 of 1121 Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Newbie
 
htr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooters23 View Post

htr1:

Your room is fairly large. You should consider a larger screen as 92" is not terrbily big.

One option is to simply project onto the wall and adjust for different screen sizes to see what you are comfortable with. You can then purchase a screen to match your size requirements.

Good luck!

Hooters23 (or anyone):

Can you comment on the color of the screen (white vs black or grey) and the specific brand that has been recommend? (Vutec ELF 4580)

Thanks and I will consider moving up in screen size
htr1 is offline  
post #544 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Member
 
Hooters23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
htr1:

I am not familiar with the Vutec ELF 4580. My on line search of this particular screen produced no results. So I cannot comment on this screen specifically but can provide some general comments.

There are many manufacturers producing high quality screens. Search the screen section in this forum for more information.

With a front projection system, the picture that you see is the light from the projector being reflected back from the screen. The color of the screen will impact the picture that you see.

A white screen does not alter the colors that are reflected back to the audience. With a white screen, white colors on the screen will be displayed as white.

Digial projectors have difficulty producing black. Thus, using a grey screen helps producing better blacks. (Almost black projected onto the screen combined with the grey of the screen makes the black a little darker.) However, with a grey screen, true whites cannot be produced as the white light will be reflected back as the color of the screen.

Fortunately, our brains will process almost white as being white.

The other consideration in selecting a screen is gain. The higher the gain, the more light is reflected off of the screen and the brighter the picture. You do not want the picture to be too bright. The correct brightness will depend on how you will normally use your system. If you will watch with some ambient light, a brighter picture is needed vs. watching in a totally dark, light controlled room.

Typically, white screens allow you to have higher gains resulting in potentially a brighter picture. Greys generally provide lower gains.

The final consideration in all of this is your viewing environment. Light colored walls and ceiling will reflect more light than dark colored walls and ceiling. Thus, obtaining deep blacks in a light room is not possible due to this light reflectance.

The Mitsubishi HC 6800 is a bright projector. At 92", even with a neutral 1.0 gain screen, your picture should be plenty bright. The larger the screen, the greater the area the light from the projector is dispersed over and the less bright the picture becomes. Thus, with a larger screen, a somewhat higher gain (i.e. 1.3) screen should be considered.

My screen is white. I think with newer digital projectors producing better blacks, most people are going with white screens. Ultimately, the choice will be yours based on your viewing environment and preferences. Bottom line, white screen will produce a brighter picture while a grey screen will produce better blacks.

Cheers!!
Hooters23 is offline  
post #545 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anyone here using this projector with a 135" - 150" screen?

If so, what settings are you using (high lamp... dynamic or...) and how is it working out?

I saw the projector demo'd at BB but on a 92" Stewart FW... the projector looked good even though it had not been calibrated (which seems bizarre). I was glad to see that I needed to be within about 5' of the screen to be able to see the SDE... as I am quite sensitive to SDE.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
post #546 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
mariokrt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not a good review for the 6800. Black levels/detail does not seem to be too good according to the reviewer. I tend to agree with the last statement based on my experience so far...

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=103
mariokrt64 is offline  
post #547 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
NYMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The thing is that the HC6800 is not an Ultra High Contrast pj. Of course it's not going to have AE4000 black levels. And for what it's worth, I think the colours are great.
NYMN is offline  
post #548 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Studio2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN View Post

The thing is that the HC6800 is not an Ultra High Contrast pj. Of course it's not going to have AE4000 black levels. And for what it's worth, I think the colours are great.

I think the blacks are good, however I agree it could be much better. I have a dark room. I also use it in low lamp mode.

The only time I notice that its not black as can be is when in the very end of movie the credits come up. Otherwize in the movie itself Black is black to me.

I disagree with the review because to me the colors are what sold me on this unit. It looks natural and not oversaturated as stated in the review ( I did have to calibrate it), that bit leaves me confused. Also shadow detail and contrast is excellent.

I also live the white's on this PJ looks smooth - magnificent. Scenes with snow etc. My screen is 135" 2:35

Everyone that comes over compliments the color and natural image as if your in a theatre. If you look at Projector Central's review it also contradicts this review.



Want to see art's review on this PJ.

Each to their own I guess.
Studio2000 is offline  
post #549 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
mariokrt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2000 View Post

I think the blacks are good, however I agree it could be much better. I have a dark room. I also use it in low lamp mode.

The only time I notice that its not black as can be is when in the very end of movie the credits come up. Otherwize in the movie itself Black is black to me.

I disagree with the review because to me the colors are what sold me on this unit. It looks natural and not oversaturated as stated in the review ( I did have to calibrate it), that bit leaves me confused. Also shadow detail and contrast is excellent.

I also live the white's on this PJ looks smooth - magnificent. Scenes with snow etc. My screen is 135" 2:35

Everyone that comes over compliments the color and natural image as if your in a theatre. If you look at Projector Central's review it also contradicts this review.



Want to see art's review on this PJ.

Each to their own I guess.

I would be also looking to Art's Review. Do you have any idea when that's due??? BTW, what is your screen? I am using a DIY and I guess not getting the optimum PQ.
mariokrt64 is offline  
post #550 of 1121 Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Member
 
37fiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

I would be also looking to Art's Review. Do you have any idea when that's due??? BTW, what is your screen? I am using a DIY and I guess not getting the optimum PQ.

I have a feeling once you have a good screen, this projector will look far better than on a DIY. Especially if you're going with the HP.

I just bought this projector ( along with a 119" 2.8 High Power) so I have yet to see it in person. I hope it's as good as some say it is. Jason from AVS is having it calibrated, and spoke well of the HC6800.

Obviously Phil Hinton doesn't care for it, and almost seems to me that he may be comparing it against the much more expensive JVC's. He says that "the HC6800 feels like old technology in todays market. Relying on the dynamic iris is not what is needed."
Don't Panasonic and Epson also rely on the dynamic iris?

What sold me on the HC6800 was the reliability (vs. Epson 8500), less likely to get dust blobs (vs. AE4000), very quiet, no rainbows, decent bulb life, good warranty, sharp detailed picture (according to most), and of course the wife likes that it's also a great looking projector.
Perhaps it does give up some features and some black level to others in this price range, but for me the pros outweighed the cons.

If the Epson 8500 didn't have it's issues, and was priced $300-$400 less, I would probably have gone that route. As good as the 4000 may be, the higher chance of dust problems ruled that out early on.

These professional reviews are interesting, but to me it appears they may have a bit of bias. I too am looking forward to Art's review, although at this point it makes no difference. The money is spent and now I will make the best of it.

I sure do hope the picture won't look as crappy as the AVforum review makes it out to be though. "green skin tones"? Now that would suck!
37fiat is offline  
post #551 of 1121 Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
mariokrt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37fiat View Post

I have a feeling once you have a good screen, this projector will look far better than on a DIY. Especially if you're going with the HP.

I just bought this projector ( along with a 119" 2.8 High Power) so I have yet to see it in person. I hope it's as good as some say it is. Jason from AVS is having it calibrated, and spoke well of the HC6800.

Obviously Phil Hinton doesn't care for it, and almost seems to me that he may be comparing it against the much more expensive JVC's. He says that "the HC6800 feels like old technology in todays market. Relying on the dynamic iris is not what is needed."
Don't Panasonic and Epson also rely on the dynamic iris?

What sold me on the HC6800 was the reliability (vs. Epson 8500), less likely to get dust blobs (vs. AE4000), very quiet, no rainbows, decent bulb life, good warranty, sharp detailed picture (according to most), and of course the wife likes that it's also a great looking projector.
Perhaps it does give up some features and some black level to others in this price range, but for me the pros outweighed the cons.

If the Epson 8500 didn't have it's issues, and was priced $300-$400 less, I would probably have gone that route. As good as the 4000 may be, the higher chance of dust problems ruled that out early on.

These professional reviews are interesting, but to me it appears they may have a bit of bias. I too am looking forward to Art's review, although at this point it makes no difference. The money is spent and now I will make the best of it.

I sure do hope the picture won't look as crappy as the AVforum review makes it out to be though. "green skin tones"? Now that would suck!

Rest assurred, skin tones are not "green skin tones", or tilted toward green. That's not what I have seen. Picture is very sharp, colors are good. My only gripe is that when watching very dark scenes, particlulary with yellow tones, it does not look that good. I hope my DIY (gray painted (Behr SS) white thrifty 300 board from HD) is partly to blame, but thats probably part of the weakness the reviewer was refering to. I also have white walls/ceiling, which if changed I have read my improve the PQ. I plan to lay a couple of more paint layers, this time with a more lighter gray tone. The Behr Silver Screen is a little dark.

I tried the AVS calibration disk, but still I need to adjust the contrast high (15-20) and some brightness (1-5)when watching an actual movie to get a better picture. In scenes with reasonable lighting, the picture looks great!!!!, even in my DIY.

I am considering the HP but wonder if the black levels will be weakend with that material..????
mariokrt64 is offline  
post #552 of 1121 Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
cdvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my HC-6800 for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I also have a Benq W5000 that I didn't really want to get rid of but when I move next month the W5000 will have to long of a throw to get the screen size I need. I figured that the HC-6800 would be a decent sideways move and no an upgrade. I was wrong the HC-6800 after a few tweaks has a slightly nicer picture than my W5000. I find the black level and shadow detail on my non-ISF'd HC-6800 (iris on 5) superior to my ISF'd W5000. The picture is very clean and performs better on non HD cable programs than the W5000. Set up was a breeze and it's dead quiet, I can hear the hard drive spinning in my PS3 for the first time. I can't wait to get an ISF calibration done. I'm using a 92" matte white 1.0 gain screen in a room with dark walls and light ceiling and carpet. The HC-6800 is also brighter than my W5000 (500 hrs on the bulb). My new room will have fairly poor light control and lighter walls and ceiling so I'm switching to a 1.1 gain HC grey screen.
Overall I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

"If it's smaller than 92" it's not Home Theater...It's just a room with a big TV"
cdvision is offline  
post #553 of 1121 Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
mariokrt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvision View Post

I've had my HC-6800 for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I also have a Benq W5000 that I didn't really want to get rid of but when I move next month the W5000 will have to long of a throw to get the screen size I need. I figured that the HC-6800 would be a decent sideways move and no an upgrade. I was wrong the HC-6800 after a few tweaks has a slightly nicer picture than my W5000. I find the black level and shadow detail on my non-ISF'd HC-6800 (iris on 5) superior to my ISF'd W5000. The picture is very clean and performs better on non HD cable programs than the W5000. Set up was a breeze and it's dead quiet, I can hear the hard drive spinning in my PS3 for the first time. I can't wait to get an ISF calibration done. I'm using a 92" matte white 1.0 gain screen in a room with dark walls and light ceiling and carpet. The HC-6800 is also brighter than my W5000 (500 hrs on the bulb). My new room will have fairly poor light control and lighter walls and ceiling so I'm switching to a 1.1 gain HC grey screen.
Overall I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

I have a similar set up with the 6800 PJ mounted behind my seat, but about a ft. above my head. What is your current screen and the new one? I would like to have your feedback with the gray screen onced installed.

thks..
mariokrt64 is offline  
post #554 of 1121 Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
cdvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

I have a similar set up with the 6800 PJ mounted behind my seat, but about a ft. above my head. What is your current screen and the new one? I would like to have your feedback with the gray screen onced installed.

thks..

My HC6800 has replaced the W5000 on the top shelf. Current screen is a Draper 1.0 gain matte white. The new one is a no name made in China 1.1 gain HC grey. I'll let you know how it works out. The new screen should be here next week and I'll try to have the HC6800 ISF'd shortly thereafter.
The downside to shelf mounting is that I left my 4 yr old nephew watching a movie alone in the HT room for a moment so I could grab a beverage and when I came back he was busy smudging the lens with his fingers.DDOOHHH!!!

"If it's smaller than 92" it's not Home Theater...It's just a room with a big TV"
cdvision is offline  
post #555 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
mariokrt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvision View Post

My HC6800 has replaced the W5000 on the top shelf. Current screen is a Draper 1.0 gain matte white. The new one is a no name made in China 1.1 gain HC grey. I'll let you know how it works out. The new screen should be here next week and I'll try to have the HC6800 ISF'd shortly thereafter.
The downside to shelf mounting is that I left my 4 yr old nephew alone in the HT room for a moment so I could grab a beverage and when I came back he was busy smudging the lens with his fingers.DDOOHHH!!!

Next time, make sure you put back the lens cover....I put it back all the time..but then forget to take it out for projecting......
mariokrt64 is offline  
post #556 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
cdvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

Next time, make sure you put back the lens cover....I put it back all the time..but then forget to take it out for projecting......

I put it on when it's not in use. He was watching Transformers 2 at the time but I guess he decided playing with the lens was more intersting. I gave him a lesson on how to clean a lens after the projo cooled down.
He's a good kid and didn't know any better....but now he does.

"If it's smaller than 92" it's not Home Theater...It's just a room with a big TV"
cdvision is offline  
post #557 of 1121 Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Member
 
TomR1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some input on how much of an improvement I'd see with the hc6800 over what I currently use a Sanyo Z5. My Z5 has developed blue streaks that come and go, so I'd like to upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom R
TomR1972 is offline  
post #558 of 1121 Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
mariokrt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37fiat View Post

I have a feeling once you have a good screen, this projector will look far better than on a DIY. Especially if you're going with the HP.

I just bought this projector ( along with a 119" 2.8 High Power) so I have yet to see it in person. I hope it's as good as some say it is. Jason from AVS is having it calibrated, and spoke well of the HC6800.

Obviously Phil Hinton doesn't care for it, and almost seems to me that he may be comparing it against the much more expensive JVC's. He says that "the HC6800 feels like old technology in todays market. Relying on the dynamic iris is not what is needed."
Don't Panasonic and Epson also rely on the dynamic iris?

What sold me on the HC6800 was the reliability (vs. Epson 8500), less likely to get dust blobs (vs. AE4000), very quiet, no rainbows, decent bulb life, good warranty, sharp detailed picture (according to most), and of course the wife likes that it's also a great looking projector.
Perhaps it does give up some features and some black level to others in this price range, but for me the pros outweighed the cons.

If the Epson 8500 didn't have it's issues, and was priced $300-$400 less, I would probably have gone that route. As good as the 4000 may be, the higher chance of dust problems ruled that out early on.

These professional reviews are interesting, but to me it appears they may have a bit of bias. I too am looking forward to Art's review, although at this point it makes no difference. The money is spent and now I will make the best of it.

I sure do hope the picture won't look as crappy as the AVforum review makes it out to be though. "green skin tones"? Now that would suck!

Have you got your PJ and screen???Any comments/pictures.....I am interested to see how the combination performs
mariokrt64 is offline  
post #559 of 1121 Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Member
 
37fiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

Have you got your PJ and screen???Any comments/pictures.....I am interested to see how the combination performs

Yeah, I'd love to see it too!
Seems the screen is finally being shipped from Toronto (HD.ca) as we speak (nearly 4 weeks after I ordered it!), and the projector was shipped on Feb. 4th from AVS. .......Just a waiting and hoping game now.
I sure do wish it was all here though. With all the time that's gone by, I'm starting to second guess myself whether I've made the right decision about my projector choice. I'm quite confident in the High Power screen, particularly since it may be the only non-tensioned roll down screen that won't have any serious problems with waves. However now that some say the cost of the HC7000 has come down, and perhaps the issues with the Epson 8500 possibly getting worked out, I do wonder more about my choice of the HC 6800.....

Jason at AVS mentioned that he prefers the 6800 over the 7000, but I can't seem to recall if it was only because it's brighter and less expensive.

Too many choices! But as with many things in life, it usually ends with a compromise. I'm compromising a bit of black level for a reliable, quiet, sharp, decently priced machine............I just hope in the end the picture looks damned good!
37fiat is offline  
post #560 of 1121 Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobpaule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: US
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2000 View Post

CT_Wiebe,

I might have missed it, but can you go over the procedure you use for cleaning filters etc.

You clean every 100 HRS.

You vacuum/wash the filters etc?

Interested in the way you maintain the PJ for having it so long.

Thanks

Soon to arrive HC7000, but i can share some experience with my HC5000 from the time before i upgraded to the 6500 filter.

I used a section from one of my wife's punctured pantyhoses (i know, i should trim my nails, but being the slovenly Slav.....) barely stretched over the filter, and vacuumed the filter in reverse, initially removing it but after a while just directly over the projector. I have never had a blob. Never washed it but i can bet that i had been retired and asexual i would have taken that path too
bobpaule is offline  
post #561 of 1121 Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
NYMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to chime in - I'm really enjoying the pj! Finally - a machine with no issues! Love the sharpness and clarity! Very natural. I do miss the CFI of the 6500UB, but I forget about it pretty quickly! Can't wait for the olympics to start!
Here are some pics - still hadn't finished my screen yet, when I took these.
I had to shrink them down 'cause they just didn't want to load up for some reason.
LL
LL
LL
NYMN is offline  
post #562 of 1121 Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN View Post

Just wanted to chime in - I'm really enjoying the pj! Finally - a machine with no issues! Love the sharpness and clarity! Very natural. I do miss the CFI of the 6500UB, but I forget about it pretty quickly! Can't wait for the olympics to start!
Here are some pics - still hadn't finished my screen yet, when I took these.
I had to shrink them down 'cause they just didn't want to load up for some reason.

Those are some nice clean looking screen shot pics. I guess since your screen isn't finished, there is something wonky going on along the left side of the image? It looks darker along a strip on the edge.

What is the source for these pics? HDTV signal from? What box?
cpc is offline  
post #563 of 1121 Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
NYMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Maple Leafs one is from the Rogers box and the other two are from the DVE Blu ray. It's the only disc I had on hand. I'll get some more posted with a better/reference disc.
NYMN is offline  
post #564 of 1121 Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
todd03blown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NYMN - looks good. What size screen you are using? I will try and get some pictures of my setup and post them.
todd03blown is offline  
post #565 of 1121 Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobpaule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: US
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

Not a good review for the 6800. Black levels/detail does not seem to be too good according to the reviewer. I tend to agree with the last statement based on my experience so far...

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=103

Quite a contrast to:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Mits...or-review.html

from same outfit.

Ironically the 6800 is the newer model.

I found the extra $400 very easy to justify, we are talking street authorized.
bobpaule is offline  
post #566 of 1121 Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
NYMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would have loved to go for the HC7000, but I don't have bat cave, AND I'm projecting from 18 feet back. With the 7000 I would have had only about 9 fL. Somewhere in the 220-300 lumens range in low lamp mode. Not remotely enough. Not to mention that bulbs dim as well.
I certainly wish the blacks were a bit better with the 6800, but just like it not having CFI, I forget about it so fast because of the pic it throws!
NYMN is offline  
post #567 of 1121 Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
NYMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the same grasshopper shot from the DVE Blu Ray disc with my finished screen.
2 coats of Behr Quietude over plain white primer - black felt covered pine trim.
My camera is a simple canon point and shoot digital. No tripod, just a handheld shot.
LL
NYMN is offline  
post #568 of 1121 Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Member
 
Eddie F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading for weeks the various AVS 1080P projector threads on the Mits6800, Pana4k, Epson81/8500 and even Viewsonic Pro8100. I also read the PC review and 1080P shoot out. Pluses and minuses to each but I decided on the Mits6800 today, pulled the trigger and ordered at BB/Magnolia.

Now I still need to purchase a ceiling mount and need some advice. I will be mounting the projector in my playroom hung from a joist about 12' 4" back from the screen which would put me close to to the middle (14') throw range for 104" 16x9 Focupix HDVio 1.3 gain screen which I already own. I want to mount the projector about 4" to 5" below the joist so it's very close to the drop ceiling tile. If I do this right the projector lens will be centered to the screen and hung perpendicular to the screen. The Beamup DH100 looks interesting for $99 but I need to call them to see if it works with the 6800. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Also, based upon the PC review it looks like after calibration I should be in the vacinity of their 649 ANSI Lumens and 26fL for high power and 28% less for low lamp should but me around 467 ANSI Lumens and 19fL. Since the playroom has some ambient light in daylight hours the high power should proove handy. But at night with the dark walls and no light the 19fL should work nice for Bluray- my primary reason for buying the Mits6800.

As a soon to be new owner (due in for pickup next Saturday) I welcome any setup suggestions before I start drilling.

Thanks,
Ed
Eddie F is offline  
post #569 of 1121 Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CT_Wiebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Eddie F -- Yes, remember that the lens is offset from the center of the HC6800 (to the left, when looking at the front of the PJ, with a ceiling mount). You need to line up the center of the lens with the center of the screen (left to right) -- the horizontal lens shift is only 5%, which isn't a lot if you boo-boo. This means that the mount will have to be offset from the screen center.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
CT_Wiebe is offline  
post #570 of 1121 Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Member
 
Eddie F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CT_Wiebe - Thanks for the advice on the lens centering and the need for horizontal offset of the ceiling mount. I did pick up on the minimal horizontal lens shift from the literature and reviews and factored it into to my mount planning. But I do appreciate the reminder!
Eddie F is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc6800 Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off