LG AF115 1080P SXRD Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
V8boosted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the LG AF115 home theater projector?

http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/af115.jhtml

I've heard good things about the SXRD / LCOS systems and apparently the LG AF115 uses the same guts as the Sony systems.

Since my budget is between $2000-$3000 I think this system might be exactly what I'm looking for. The weird thing is the guys that I bought my pico projector from said they are releasing the AF115 for sale under their brand because they make some of the components for LG (http://www.aaxatech.com/products/af115.htm) and they're willing to give me a nice discount as a return customer.

I had my mind set on the AE3000 but I'd be getting this unit for a little less so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Here's my setup:

22x20' room with 10' high ceilings. ~100" wall - I convinced my wife to let me use reflective paint and she will not let me buy a screen. 100% movie watching. I can get the room almost completely dark and I'm planning on ceiling mounting the unit if my wife doesn't freak out, or putting it on top of the liquor cabinet.

So stick with the AE3000 or go for the SXRD system? Anyone with any experience with the AF115 (or any LG projectors) would be very much appreciated! Also do you think I should be buying from a relatively no-name company even if it is made by LG?
V8boosted is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8boosted View Post

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the LG AF115 home theater projector?

http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/af115.jhtml

I've heard good things about the SXRD / LCOS systems and apparently the LG AF115 uses the same guts as the Sony systems.

Since my budget is between $2000-$3000 I think this system might be exactly what I'm looking for. The weird thing is the guys that I bought my pico projector from said they are releasing the AF115 for sale under their brand because they make some of the components for LG (http://www.aaxatech.com/products/af115.htm) and they're willing to give me a nice discount as a return customer.

I had my mind set on the AE3000 but I'd be getting this unit for a little less so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Here's my setup:

22x20' room with 10' high ceilings. ~100" wall - I convinced my wife to let me use reflective paint and she will not let me buy a screen. 100% movie watching. I can get the room almost completely dark and I'm planning on ceiling mounting the unit if my wife doesn't freak out, or putting it on top of the liquor cabinet.

So stick with the AE3000 or go for the SXRD system? Anyone with any experience with the AF115 (or any LG projectors) would be very much appreciated! Also do you think I should be buying from a relatively no-name company even if it is made by LG?

Their marketing blurb is full of mis-leading statements like 1080p has twice the clarity of HD. I lose patience with such companies when you consider the competition.
erkq is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Jason Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 12,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This unit really hasn't been talked about (for what it is worth). I would probably encourage you to view one before you commit. Specs (even if true) don't necessarily translate to a good image.
Jason Turk is offline  
 
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
V8boosted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jason Turk - Yeah, I've been trying to find one to look at but no one carries this projector... That's why I'm seeing if anyone here has any positive reviews

Erkq - I understand actual film material may not have twice the resolution, but isn't 720P one megapix? So 1080P is 2 megapix so it technically is double right? Do you think I should go with the AE3000 instead?

Thanks!
V8boosted is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8boosted View Post

Erkq - I understand actual film material may not have twice the resolution, but isn't 720P one megapix? So 1080P is 2 megapix so it technically is double right? Do you think I should go with the AE3000 instead?

Thanks!

Indeed you are correct. They are using a technicality of definition of the two HD types without explaining 1080p is also HD. It's disingenuous. They don't have their potential buyer's interest at heart. They're just trying to get away with an impressive sounding marketing claim. The information they present is of no use in making an informed decision. And there are other examples of this. I simply would not do business with a company with this marketing culture when there are better choices.

The AE3000 is a known quantity with good points and bad points. It has been discussed ad-nauseum in this forum and you could make a very informed decision about it.
erkq is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Newbie
 
E92M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi from the occasional lurker - since no one is responding to this thread I suppose I'll finally sign up...

I have the LG AF115 with about 300 hours on it. I picked it up in Akihabra Japan a little over a 1.5 years ago for 410,000 yen which was I think like $3500 back then and lugged it back over here... and it replaced my Epson which was a 720p projector. I basically bought the AF115 because at the time I really wanted a Sony VW or JVC DILA but couldn't afford it, stumbled across this in Japan and couldn't pass up a deal.

The colors, contrast, and general movie use is a little better than my old Epson with my 120" screen, but if you're expecting a huge difference over a 720p 3LCD projector it's only marginally better in your ~100" size. Actually in 100" I'd say just get a cheaper 720P unit if you're on a budget - however if you are set on 1080P the AF115 is a good choice - I don't think you can go wrong. Also if you're gaming I think it's better for games I play PS3 on it occasionally and it's definitely feels sharper than my old Epson.

As for how "awesome" the SXRD is, I actually took it over to my cousins a few months back who has a custom 244" screen and at ~200"+ (we couldn't get the whole 244" w/o mounting it) you can definitely tell the difference compared to his Optoma 720p at that size, the screen door issue among other things are pretty noticeable in that size, especially after I pointed it out to him hahaha, so if you have that screen size this projector will really shine. But aside from the screen door you have to really try hard to find differences. Text is definitely clearer, color balance and contrast is definitely better. But it's not a huge difference even in that size - but maybe I'm just not picky - I just hate DLP projectors because of that screen door issue... Actually my cousin has a Sony VW-60 on order because of me

Pros:
-Everything you expect from an SXRD projector in terms of image quality, colors etc.
-Fan is quiet compared to my epson
-Pretty good for movies and games

Cons:
-It's ridiculously big
-No horizontal lens shift
-I don't think it's really 1500 lumens... Maybe 1000 or so

I've attached some pics...

Again if you're really getting it for mid $2500's then I'd say it's an awesome deal but honestly at 100" you might save yourself some money and just get a 720P DLP. But if you're going to go BIG then it's definitely worth it...

Hope this helps...
LL
LL
E92M3 is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Newbie
 
E92M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Indeed you are correct. They are using a technicality of definition of the two HD types without explaining 1080p is also HD. It's disingenuous. They don't have their potential buyer's interest at heart.

Sorry - I don't understand your comment? 1080P has over 2,000,000 pixels whereas 720P has less than 1 mil. Maybe your eyes can't tell but it's still there... I think you might want to give consumers a bit more credit... What is truly dis-ingenuous is every single projector company claiming more lumens than they have...

Anyways, I'll go back to lurking now
E92M3 is offline  
Old 08-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Senior Member
 
anidabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey, there is plenty of discussion at AVForums.com http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...projector.html
anidabi is offline  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
V8boosted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow thanks! Based on those reviews on AVForums I am definitely getting the AF115... I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it...

Thanks!
V8boosted is offline  
Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3 View Post

Sorry - I don't understand your comment? 1080P has over 2,000,000 pixels whereas 720P has less than 1 mil. Maybe your eyes can't tell but it's still there... I think you might want to give consumers a bit more credit... What is truly dis-ingenuous is every single projector company claiming more lumens than they have...

Anyways, I'll go back to lurking now

I agree with what you said. You don't understand what I said (my bad?) but I don't want to beat a dead horse.

JVC's lumen specs are accurate. It puts them at a "marketing" disadvantage and yet they continue with real lumen specs. Kudos to them, at least!
erkq is offline  
Old Today, 03:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello i found this projector LG AF115 used on Craigslist for 500$.
with one unopened extra lamp, i think i can negotiate to get it between 300$-400$.
do you think is worth it to buy it ?

my current projector is an Optoma HD26 / 140" fixed screen.
this optoma HD26 is my first 1080p projector, before this one was an Acer H5370BD 720p.

is this LG AF115 better than the optoma HD26 ?
is this LG AF115 a good upgrade ?

i hope i can get some reply since this post is almost 8 years old.

thanks
Reynieri is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off