Epson 6500UB pink bar at bottom of image - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Epson 6500 is showing a bit of pink image towards the bottom of the screen. It's connected to my HTPC with an ATI video card with a HDMI connection.

If I set the windows task bar to auto hide, the status bar on the bottom of the application is showing pink, and only at the bottom. It doesn't really affect me when watching a movie, but I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the projector.

I have the HDMI cable hidden in the ceiling through some joists to the front wall, so I'm preying it's not the cable.

Thanks,

Ming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I have the same problem. I've got a pink bar on the bottom and green bar at the top. Yes the projector is defective. Call Epson and they will send you a refurb overnight. Hopefully the refurb is better but you never know with Epson Im on my second unit and I'll be returning it soon for a third.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does it look like this but pink instead of blue?

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #4 of 18 Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I have the same problem. I've got a pink bar on the bottom and green bar at the top. Yes the projector is defective. Call Epson and they will send you a refurb overnight. Hopefully the refurb is better but you never know with Epson Im on my second unit and I'll be returning it soon for a third.

Called them today. Asked them to check the replacement model for convergence, colour, and IRIS noise before sending the unit. It's coming from the US, so it will be 4 - 5 days before I get it.

What was wrong with your refurb units?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Does it look like this but pink instead of blue?

Yeah, exactly like that, except the bar is not as tall.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My current unit has the exact problem that the poster has except I have pink bottom and green top, and the IRIS is very loud. You can hear the IRIS from 10 feet away on quit scenes. The first kept locking up on me where the screen would go weird colours and I had to constantly cycle inputs to get the picture back and fan noise on the first one was really bad.

I do know who does Quality control for Epson, it's us
post #7 of 18 Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

My current unit has the exact problem that the poster has except I have pink bottom and green top, and the IRIS is very loud. You can hear the IRIS from 10 feet away on quit scenes. The first kept locking up on me where the screen would go weird colours and I had to constantly cycle inputs to get the picture back and fan noise on the first one was really bad.

I do know who does Quality control for Epson, it's us

The gf noticed the top of my image is showing green too! It's such a shame because my unit has super quiet IRIS, and very good convergence If it breaks again, I'm asking for a 8500UB
post #8 of 18 Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 AM

I'm going through exactly the same issue with my PJ now (8 months old).

I have a red band at the bottom and a blue/green one at the top.

I just received my replacement refurb, and I think it has to go back.

No matter what the source, it doesn't seem to be able to hold an HDMI lock.

I'll get a picture for 2 - 10 seconds, and then the screen will go blank (kind of like how it re-syncs when switching sources) for 3 or 4 seconds. This continually repeats.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuster View Post

I'm going through exactly the same issue with my PJ now (8 months old).

I have a red band at the bottom and a blue/green one at the top.

I just received my replacement refurb, and I think it has to go back.

No matter what the source, it doesn't seem to be able to hold an HDMI lock.

I'll get a picture for 2 - 10 seconds, and then the screen will go blank (kind of like how it re-syncs when switching sources) for 3 or 4 seconds. This continually repeats.

I'm hoping I'll have better luck than that. The nearest service center is pretty far away for me, and I really don't want to be without a projector for a month. Maybe we'll get lucky with one of the refurbs.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but my 6500UB just started giving me a magenta bar at the top, and a cyan bar at the bottom. They appear even in the built in test pattern, so the issue is internal to the projector.

I'm now out of warranty on the PJ, so I'm concerned about the repair cost. I haven't even gone through one lamp yet!

I've googled this issue, but can't find any explanation of the problem, or how it might be fixed (either DIY or by a service center). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
post #11 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel View Post

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but my 6500UB just started giving me a magenta bar at the top, and a cyan bar at the bottom. They appear even in the built in test pattern, so the issue is internal to the projector.

I'm now out of warranty on the PJ, so I'm concerned about the repair cost. I haven't even gone through one lamp yet!

I've googled this issue, but can't find any explanation of the problem, or how it might be fixed (either DIY or by a service center). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry but I think you're SOL. Epson said my light engine has gone bad when I posted this thread. I don't think it'll be DIY friendly.

Best of luck.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Argh, my 2.5 year old 6500UB has started showing these signs (bright magenta banding at top, blue banding at bottom). With a two-year warranty, I'm worried that I'm kinda screwed going to a repair shop to try and get this fix. Any ideas what fixing this is going to cost?
post #13 of 18 Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I don't forsee the repair being cheap. Your best bet is to contact Epson to find out the repair cost.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Same issue here. Pink on bottom, cyan/blueish on top. Also, there's color uniformity issues. The left side of the image has a very thick band running from the top of the image all the way to the bottom where it's obviously got more red in this area. You really notice it in scenes with a lot of white, but it's also apparent in normal program material. A persons face on the screen will go from looking good on one part of the screen to looking blue or pale if they lean to the right

I'm getting a new projector and using my 6500 as a backup. I just recently bought a new bulb and put it in thinking I could live with it, but once you notice this kind of stuff, you can't unsee it. I have the top blue and bottom red bands zoomed out into the black surround of the screen, which I could almost live with, but the color shifts inside the image are killing me!!!

I wish this projector had blanking so you could "throw away" the edges and re zoom..lol
post #15 of 18 Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM

I recently had a problem towards the end of the year with a red bar at top and a green bar at the bottom. Being over 2.5 years I just went to a local authorized epson service center and they gave me a written estimate of $1400 to replace the optical engine. You can buy it refurbed for under 800 now!!

Luckily I bought it with my discover card which adds an extra year of warranty to the product so I am hoping to go through them and get it fixed for free. Fingers crossed!

Justin
post #16 of 18 Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24

Bump for this post. I have similar issue. Pinkish bar on bottom (about 4" in height). Also it flickers into a blank screen for a few seconds once in a while. This has been going on the last 1.5 years. I have owned this over 3.5 years.

New toy or fix? At first I thought it was the bulb but reading the posts here I don't think so...
post #17 of 18 Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Liked: 18
I have the "pink band of death" in my 8500. First the crappy bulbs (3 blew at less than 1k hours) and now the pink band. Epson, you lost me as an advocate and I now steer people away from Epson.

At $1400 to repair, it's a non-starter. Beyond the cost of repair versus new unit, you still have the failing bulb issue.

I'm using overscan and pushing the image into my screen border to hide some of the band, but it stares at me like a beacon. Crap. New PJ time.

I was hoping to get more than 3 years (or even 3 years mad.gif) out this unit and was hoping to get a 4k unit after they trickle down to the lower price models. No such luck.

I'm done with Epson. What brand/model are you all looking at? I had a panny before and was pretty happy with it. I haven't followed the brand in a while. Still good?

How about JVC? Sony?
post #18 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

I have the "pink band of death" in my 8500. First the crappy bulbs (3 blew at less than 1k hours) and now the pink band. Epson, you lost me as an advocate and I now steer people away from Epson.

At $1400 to repair, it's a non-starter. Beyond the cost of repair versus new unit, you still have the failing bulb issue.

I'm using overscan and pushing the image into my screen border to hide some of the band, but it stares at me like a beacon. Crap. New PJ time.

I was hoping to get more than 3 years (or even 3 years mad.gif) out this unit and was hoping to get a 4k unit after they trickle down to the lower price models. No such luck.

I'm done with Epson. What brand/model are you all looking at? I had a panny before and was pretty happy with it. I haven't followed the brand in a while. Still good?

How about JVC? Sony?

I just got the same issue, I think I had 4 replacement bulbs and 3 projectors in the 3 years I've had it, all bulbs failing before 1000 hours. And it now has a permanent pink band on top and blue band on bottom, haven't checked what the bulb looks like. Really annoying, but it only affects the top few inches.

Compared to the Panny equivalent at the time, this was supposedly cheaper after factoring in bulb life, ha.
I haven't looked at new models yet, but it seems like it's time...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6500ub Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page