post #271 of 1011 Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

Are there any gamers out there.......Can anyone tell me if FPS'ers are playable on this PJ. I would get it in a heratbeat except I have read anecdotal reports that the JVC's suffer from greater input lag. Thanks.

Biggest test for me is "mousing" on the windows desktop - you can always tell the lag more easily like that. With FI off, I see no noticeable lag. Can't remember trying with FI on, and, as usual, I am away from home travelling again...

To put this in context, on my old Vantage HD VP, I was able to notice some lag, but it was still playable. I don't see any on the 950.

Are you sending your video over HDMI or component?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1011 Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Are there any gamers out there.......Can anyone tell me if FPS'ers are playable on this PJ. I would get it in a heratbeat except I have read anecdotal reports that the JVC's suffer from greater input lag. Thanks.

Haven't done any lag tests but anecdotally I've had some longtime and pro gamers do some extended play on mine, FPS & Fighters. No complaints. All praise and grins so far on the gaming front.

This is w/o the FI on btw. We can feel some lag with interpolation on but that should be expected.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #273 of 1011 Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Biggest test for me is "mousing" on the windows desktop - you can always tell the lag more easily like that. With FI off, I see no noticeable lag. Can't remember trying with FI on, and, as usual, I am away from home travelling again...

To put this in context, on my old Vantage HD VP, I was able to notice some lag, but it was still playable. I don't see any on the 950.

Are you sending your video over HDMI or component?

HDMI. I really want the 950 but want to make sure that FPS'ers are playable and I won't be severely handicapped. I know there is some people claiming the JVC's have bad input lag, but maybe these are very discerning pro gamers. As long as it doesn't majorly handicap you, then I am in. Do you play FPS'ers? IF so, how do you find it? Thanks
post #274 of 1011 Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ekkehart's review is up here. The translation is linked to.

Affable Nitwit
post #275 of 1011 Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
^^Thanks. Added to post # 1.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #276 of 1011 Old 12-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 66
Quote:

HDMI. I really want the 950 but want to make sure that FPS'ers are playable and I won't be severely handicapped. I know there is some people claiming the JVC's have bad input lag, but maybe these are very discerning pro gamers. As long as it doesn't majorly handicap you, then I am in. Do you play FPS'ers? IF so, how do you find it? Thanks

Hey Gamelover
just briefly hooked my gaming PC to my rs25
to try out, did not have any wireless connection or internet (yet)
so messed around with single player action in UT3, Cod , quake 3
I still use sony crts for my PC gaming and had no issues at all using the JVC
really impressed with graphics - great black levels made those games
shine
On side not - the latest ATi cards - 4000 and 5000 series with HDMI
doggle made hook up effortless-1920/1080 image and 7.1 audio
watched my son play some Unreal 3 with audio cranked
awesome

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #277 of 1011 Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No lag noticeable in standard mode with no F/I.

With F/I turned on, there is very slight lag, which is to be expected. A lot less than my Vantage HD was when I used to use it to deinterlace component 1080i. With FI on, lag is slightly noticeable with the mouseover, but I haven't used any of my games with F/I turned on, because you should always bypass additional processing for games.

I'm very sensitive to lag, because I use my game system primarily for racing games (ie Forza) and air combat. Lag messes with those terribly. I've had no issue at all with lag on this pj.

Since you are using HDMI, I feel it also reduces the chance of extra processing also.
post #278 of 1011 Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM

The D-ILA panels have an response time of around 8ms. You will hardly notice this in gaming.

Founder | BullsEye Calibration | www.bullseyecal.co.nz
post #279 of 1011 Old 12-28-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post

The D-ILA panels have an response time of around 8ms. You will hardly notice this in gaming.

But the electronics have lag too. It's not all about the panels!
post #280 of 1011 Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 AM

Hello, I just received my RS25, replacing an RS1. It is driven by a Crystalio II and connected with HDMI. The first thing I noticed when I powered up the RS25 was that the screen was purple. I changed the color space setting of the RS25 from auto to one of the other selections (4:4:2). This fixed the color space problem. However, after switching off the projector, the setting I chose does not stick and color space setting goes back to auto. I also played with the Crystalio to output different color space but I do not seem to get it right. Although it is a minor annoyance, any help resolving this would be appreciated.
post #281 of 1011 Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

No lag noticeable in standard mode with no F/I.

With F/I turned on, there is very slight lag, which is to be expected. A lot less than my Vantage HD was when I used to use it to deinterlace component 1080i. With FI on, lag is slightly noticeable with the mouseover, but I haven't used any of my games with F/I turned on, because you should always bypass additional processing for games.

I'm very sensitive to lag, because I use my game system primarily for racing games (ie Forza) and air combat. Lag messes with those terribly. I've had no issue at all with lag on this pj.

Since you are using HDMI, I feel it also reduces the chance of extra processing also.

thanks. i am into fps'ers online, so it sounds like it would be good to go.
post #282 of 1011 Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

Hello, I just received my RS25, replacing an RS1. It is driven by a Crystalio II and connected with HDMI. The first thing I noticed when I powered up the RS25 was that the screen was purple. I changed the color space setting of the RS25 from auto to one of the other selections (4:4:2). This fixed the color space problem. However, after switching off the projector, the setting I chose does not stick and color space setting goes back to auto. I also played with the Crystalio to output different color space but I do not seem to get it right. Although it is a minor annoyance, any help resolving this would be appreciated.

Are you using HDMI 2 input? I think this is a known bug. With HDMI 1 the setting sticks and with HDMI 2 it does not. If that doesn't work I am at a loss, but do let us know how you get on.
post #283 of 1011 Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 AM

Thanks JonStatt, I was not aware of the problems with HDMI2. I will have to check if this is actually the case tonight. I will let you know.
post #284 of 1011 Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM

JonStatt, you were right - HDMI1 has no problems!

Thanks
post #285 of 1011 Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

JonStatt, you were right - HDMI1 has no problems!

Thanks

Happy I could help
post #286 of 1011 Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM

Just out of interest - Does everyone leave their RS25 on standby all the time or switch off at the wall when not in use for a period?

Is there any problem with leaving it in standby all the time?
post #287 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 12:12 AM

I have had my HD750 on standby for a year now. No problems. Havent had long periods of not being used at all, though.
post #288 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxnz79 View Post

Just out of interest - Does everyone leave their RS25 on standby all the time or switch off at the wall when not in use for a period?

My RS20 is connected to a UPS.
It has only been unplugged for error lights to reset since purchase.

Mike
post #289 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Man this is quiet thread - guess everybody just enjoying their units
I recently installed black velvet 8 feet out into my viewing area- walls and ceiling. The improved perceived contrast ratio is stunning- I had originally painted with flat black but found the reflections distracting - difference between paint and velvet needs to be seen to be appreciated - highly recommended if have dedicated room and understanding spouse
screen just floats in air.

post #290 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

That said...my RS20 paired with my Stewart ST-130 Screen in my light controlled room is probably the first time I've got the same "Wow" factor as with the Sharp. When I first put the RS20 into action I put on those old stand-by images from Star Wars AOTC, almost tentatively, wondering if I might be disappointed. But I got a major Holy Cow factor - the image was stunningly vivid in it's contrast. If anything it struck me as actually better than what I remember from the Sharp on those scenes. So I was very, very happy. Sharpness has been fantastic as well, not leaving me wanting. But it also combines these really vivid qualities with what strikes me as a smoother, more film-like look than the Sharp. The Sharp always struck me as a bit more digital or video-like in comparison.

...The RS20 and the newer models can put out significantly more light when calibrated, which is really obvious. I have a 125" wide, 61" tall screen that the RS20 can fill pretty easily when I wish.

Hey Rich, your setup is close to what I'm planning. I am going for an RS-25 with 120" Stewart ST 130 G3. Are you still happy with the results, brightness etc? What distance did you mount your PJ?

Any thoughts on sharpness? From my comparo (at two different stores) only the Epson 8100 looked sharper than the RS20. It may have just been setup, or perhaps that when I viewed the JVC there was a fair amount of room light. With the Epson I could count the hairs on the rat in Ratatouille at 17ft. I got a copy on BD for Christmas and hope it will look just as pristine on the JVC.

All: anyone know if JVC has any plans for updated FW to improve FI performance with 24p?
post #291 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post

All: anyone know if JVC has any plans for updated FW to improve FI performance with 24p?

Nothing is planned.
post #292 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

Nothing is planned.

That's a shame as their FI implementation is truly broken...
post #293 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

That's a shame as their FI implementation is truly broken...

It wasn't designed to be used with 24p - that's why it's disabled by default in Cinema Modes. On interlaced sources, it works well.
post #294 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM

Yeah seems like all PJs and TVs are having trouble with 24P or 4:4 interpolation, however even on /60 some of the reviews I have read suggest that the RS-25 implementation is about as good as last year's Panny or Epson.

I would be happy with proper 4:4 pulldown on the JVC. Is that confirmed or is it still 3:2 pulldown x 4?
post #295 of 1011 Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I find the Clear Motion to be outstanding on all the video I have thrown it in my new RS-25 (broadcast HD and DVD, video source). This has been nauseatingly-thoroughly documented by now...video=GOOD; film=BAD
post #296 of 1011 Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxnz79 View Post

The only time I switch my HD-750 off is when I go away for more than a few days. Unless you make your room bat-cave like, it has been seen that the wrong kind of ray light can switch it on (through the IR receiver of course). It is on a UPS as well, so not worried about power/lightning, but I wouldn't want it to be on for all that time. Fire risk as well as lamp time waste.

Alternatively you could use the auto-switch off timer, but unfortunately it's an absolute value (not from the last time it received a signal), and as I often watch for more than 4 consecutive hours (the max value for auto switch off) I frequently had it switch off without warning during a film... So auto switch off is disabled on mine.
post #297 of 1011 Old 01-02-2010, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
By the way, I don't know if it's the same on the new models, but did you guys notice that the lamp counter is increased by one hour everytime you switch the PJ off, even if it's only been on for 5mn?

Don't know if it's a bug or if it's to reflect on the lamp time the fact that it's bad to switch on/off frequently. I usually leave it on if I plan to use it again within the next 30mn, but I recently noticed this after a few unplanned short time uses while I was monitoring lamp time.
post #298 of 1011 Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Man this is quiet thread - guess everybody just enjoying their units
I recently installed black velvet 8 feet out into my viewing area- walls and ceiling. The improved perceived contrast ratio is stunning- I had originally painted with flat black but found the reflections distracting - difference between paint and velvet needs to be seen to be appreciated - highly recommended if have dedicated room and understanding spouse
screen just floats in air.

What velvet product did you use? Was it http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm ?
post #299 of 1011 Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

I actually bought actual Velvet from chain fabric shop called Fabricville (Canada) was called Triple Velvet
I original had no idea what I was looking for - I took samples of every black fabric they had, leather, polyester, felt etc
They all look black but the acid test of shining light on surface in dark was eye opening
Everything reflected except the velvet - like a black hole
I lucked out too as it is currently on for ½ price - $11 square meter
Probably spent $200 overall but well worth it

post #300 of 1011 Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Guys - The automatic lens cover mechanism on my 950 seems to have broken - made an awful jamming, whirring noise halfway, when I turned it on this morning, then went bang and jammed. Then all the lights on top flash, as if it were overheating, and the unit powers off - inoperable.

In the manual, there is a reference to a "maintenance" button, under the lense, to allow you to open the lens cover manually and operate the projector. It basically says "push and hold while opening cover".

But the "button" seems to not be depressable. However, I notice that there seems to be a retaining washer stopping the "button", which would seem to allow it to be depressed, but I can find no reference to having to remove this retaining washer in the manual or anywhere else, so I am LOATHE to mess with it.

Has anyone used this "maintenance" override button for the lens cover, that could describe to me how it is supposed to operate?

I know I will have to send the unit back in - but I just got my BDII properly installed over the weekend, and I'm not ready to send the PJ away right now!!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page