post #631 of 1011 Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Even if it's true, unless you were having it replaced under warranty, the cost of an OB replacement is prohibitive if you have to pay yourself. The part lists for over $5K.

Which raises the question of what kind of problems warrant warranty work. Surely total failure does, but in many cases particular performance characteristics can be a reason for service. In this situation, it doesn't sounds like there was a total failure but just trouble with lens shift.

There was a guy in the RS20 thread who has some lens shift trouble too but it doesn't sound like he got a new OB when the unit was serviced. Maybe it depends on which service center one uses. He used a local shop not the socal(?) service center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1011 Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Which raises the question of what kind of problems warrant warranty work. Surely total failure does, but in many cases particular performance characteristics can be a reason for service. In this situation, it doesn't sounds like there was a total failure but just trouble with lens shift.

There was a guy in the RS20 thread who has some lens shift trouble too but it doesn't sound like he got a new OB when the unit was serviced. Maybe it depends on which service center one uses. He used a local shop not the socal(?) service center.

Well, maybe if the projector exhibited some of the characteristics that Sony has been having with their SXRD RP TVs (and according to UMR, Sony SXRD FP also), then you might have a reason to get a new OB.

However, if it's because you just don't like the CR, when compared to a RS25, then I don't think you got a shot in hell.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #633 of 1011 Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

The older JVC projectors, through the HD2K, had "shading" adjustments in the PSA software that's used to adjust service settings. Although I have an RS35, because I no longer do any service work and I am still using the original bulb, I haven't checked and I'm not sure if they have any shading adjustment software for the RS25/35.

Actually thru HD10K. After that no, JVC does not have shading software for these projectors. The uniformity data is provided with each LCOS panel, and is not adjustable via RS232 access. The data can be gotten to via the LVDS port but it is not easy.

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
post #634 of 1011 Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm View Post

Actually thru HD10K. After that no, JVC does not have shading software for these projectors. The uniformity data is provided with each LCOS panel, and is not adjustable via RS232 access. The data can be gotten to via the LVDS port but it is not easy.

The HD10K, Right! I always forget about the HD10K because I never saw too many around. Despite having a larger panel size than the HD2K, it wasn't very popular, at least I don't think it was here in the U.S.

I know that after the HD10K, JVC started to refer to the later machines as the "digital chassis" and the older units up to the HD10K as the "analog chassis". I guess that's why a JVC engineer told me that I didn't need PSA software for RS series units because when replacing parts, each assembly came "pre-programmed" or 'pre-adjusted". Having worked on all the so called "analog chassis'" I'm not sure how that works, unless, you're forced to buy an assembly that consolidates more sub assemblies than you would have replaced before.

In any event, what they have done sounds very interesting.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #635 of 1011 Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HD10K, Right! I always forget about the HD10K because I never saw too many around. Despite having a larger panel size than the HD2K, it wasn't very popular, at least I don't think it was here in the U.S.

Really? I saw many more of the HD10k than the HD2K.

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
post #636 of 1011 Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? I saw many more of the HD10k than the HD2K.

Since you're on the West coast, I guess it's like Apple Computers. It seems like everyone on the West coast is using Apple computers, while here on the East coast they use PCs. I've just seen many more HD2K's than HD10K here.

post #637 of 1011 Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since you're on the West coast, I guess it's like Apple Computers. It seems like everyone on the West coast is using Apple computers, while here on the East coast they use PCs. I've just seen many more HD2K's than HD10K here.

I'm physically on the West coast, but the customers are world wide. There were a lot of 10k's sold as Meridian MF1's. And I use a PC... :-)

---
post #638 of 1011 Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm physically on the West coast, but the customers are world wide. There were a lot of 10k's sold as Meridian MF1's. And I use a PC... :-)

I didn't know that. I thought the MF1 was the newer digital chassis beause of the price.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product..._d_ila1080_mf1

post #639 of 1011 Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Liked: 12
Has anyone with this pojector stretched out 16:9 HDTV content (like NFL games) to fill a 2.35:1 screen? Can you do this without an anamorphic lens? How does it look? Any screenshots?

Thanks
post #640 of 1011 Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Has anyone with this pojector stretched out 16:9 HDTV content (like NFL games) to fill a 2.35:1 screen? Can you do this without an anamorphic lens? How does it look? Any screenshots?

Thanks

I don't understand. You mean so you end up with everyone looking fat? That is, you're asking if you can display using the wrong aspect ratio?
post #641 of 1011 Old 07-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Yeah that's what I thought as well, that everyone would look fat. I saw some other forum member say they did this and I was just curious to see how the picture looked.
post #642 of 1011 Old 07-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I don't understand. You mean so you end up with everyone looking fat? That is, you're asking if you can display using the wrong aspect ratio?

I thought the JVC RS or HD series has V-stretch? While you lose pixels and it may cause some distortion at the edges (pin cushioning I think it's called) it would stretch it to 2.35:1.
post #643 of 1011 Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post

I thought the JVC RS or HD series has V-stretch? While you lose pixels and it may cause some distortion at the edges (pin cushioning I think it's called) it would stretch it to 2.35:1.

Yes they have the V-stretch, but that's only half the story as you need a lens to stretch the image out widthways. Otherwise you end up with a 16:9 shaped image, but with everyone looking tall and thin. If you do this with 16:9 content and add a lens, it ends up the correct size, but the top and bottom of the image get cropped off. This may not matter with some material (I did it by accident when I watched the 1.85:1 AR film 'Valkerie' and didn't notice) but for sports the scores, etc may be cut off. If you don't use V-stretch, but still have the lens in place, then 16:9 content will be optically stretched widthways and make everyone look short and fat, but it will fill the 2.35:1 screen if that's what you require.

The pincusion you refer to is a by product of using the lens (which can be minimised by a longer throw, good lens and careful setup) but nothing to do with the V-stretch mode in the projector.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #644 of 1011 Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

1000 hours the lamp started flickering in normal mode. I stick it on high and it goes away. Any suggestions?
post #645 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

1000 hours the lamp started flickering in normal mode. I stick it on high and it goes away. Any suggestions?

Leave it on high lamp for 20-30 hours use and hopefully it will go away as mine did (flicker at 450hours or so).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #646 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Use high until normal works again. Took couple of weeks for me. If you are into calibrating, I recommend you take one user mode for high lamp settings.
post #647 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrih View Post

Use high until normal works again. Took couple of weeks for me. If you are into calibrating, I recommend you take one user mode for high lamp settings.

+1, although I do not bother to calibrate the high lamp mode because I only run it in those circumstances for x hours until it clears up.

I've had this happen a few different times. Usually after just a handful of hours on high I can go back to normal and its gone. Happened about 400 lamp hours ago and hasn't returned.
post #648 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Question: is anyone using the Clear Motion Drive technology? What setting do you use? Do you leave it on even if you are watching film-based source?

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #649 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM

I use for sports or 1080i content. It can have bad artifacts with some if not most 1080p/24 content
post #650 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

I use for sports or 1080i content. It can have bad artifacts with some if not most 1080p/24 content

Thx. I thought I read somewhere that if the projector detected 1080p24 input, it would bypass the CM processing.

J.Mike
post #651 of 1011 Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

William (if you're still monitoring this thread),

Have you done any interfacing on any of the RS series yet? Since I no longer get service manuals I wasn't aware that they were even using LVDS interfacing in the projector since it's a relatively new transmission standard. Does the service manual describe the protocol they are using for LVDS?

Does this mean that JVC feels that shading should be uniform between bulbs? Since the major assemblies now come "pre-programmed", does JVC also feel that all the other adjustments that were available with the PSA software will NEVER need any "field" adjustment after the projector leaves the factory?-lol I'm curious to know what your opinion is.

post #652 of 1011 Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

There is no "protocol" for LVDS. It's more like a bus. They've been using it for some time now, ever since they switched to the current LCOS panel technology used in these projectors.

My experience so far, at least with the RS35's I've seen, is that color uniformity is good enough that it doesn't justify the effort. I think brightness uniformity could still benefit from adjustment, but it's my opinion right now that people would not be willing to pay what it would cost to have this done.

I've got a fully automated CMS calibration tool for this series of projectors now, that's definitely worth doing...

William

---
post #653 of 1011 Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post

Anyone else hear of this?
http://homecinemaguru.com/
RS20 Upgraded to RS35 Performance
JUN 20TH
Posted by W. Jeff Meier in Projectors No comments
I recently sent my JVC RS20 in to correct a problem with the lens shift mechanism. When the projector was returned it noted that the optical engine was upgraded. After installing and testing this unit it now performs like an RS35. It is much sharper than before, has near perfect color uniformity and the on/off contrast is now 115,000:1. The motion problems of an RS20 are also corrected in this projector. The software in the projector is still the same as the RS20 and the settings in the user menu are the same as when I sent it in.

It seems that JVC is not replacing the optical engines with the old versions at this point.

Another data point in regards to this folks. My JVC RS-25 went in for warranty service about a month ago to the TX facility - I was getting a green cast over the top portion of the image. While I don't know the specific diagnosis, the fix was to replace the optical block. Part of my normal set-up is always to fix the convergence using the pixel shift feature as best as possible. The convergence on the the unit upon return was among the best I've ever had in a 3 panel device - throwing up a 1:1 mapped convergence pattern showed near perfect convergence from corner to corner and the resulting picture was understandably sharper than I had had before. I've never seen an RS-35 with a convergence pattern up so I can't comment how it would compare but I have to imagine that it would be similar to what I'm seeing on my unit.
The %100 white field showed visually perfect uniformity, though I didn't take measurements at different points to confirm this. My measured contrast ratio was also north of 100,000:1.
My user calibrated settings were all reset however, suggesting that my unit may in fact have had new software installed. My RS-25 was one of the first shipped - I was on the pre-order through AVS - which may account for this difference between my unit and wm's.
post #654 of 1011 Old 07-31-2010, 10:44 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

The %100 white field showed visually perfect uniformity, though I didn't take measurements at different points to confirm this.

Without measurements this is pretty hard to judge unless you've got a lot of practice at it. It would be interesting to know how it measures, top to bottom especially.

---
post #655 of 1011 Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Without measurements this is pretty hard to judge unless you've got a lot of practice at it. It would be interesting to know how it measures, top to bottom especially.

Agreed - and I don't have much experience in this particular quality. Next time I have the gear out to calibrate I'll take a few readings and see how it looks from top to bottom.
post #656 of 1011 Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

wm/vigga: my RS-25 has very good convergence, just about perfect with the red panel, and a bit off on the blue (notice it on the tops of white text against a black background, although it seems to improve after an hour's warmup/stablization.) Uniformity, both color and brightness, is very good, much better than I've seen in my previous 2 digital projectors.

It's good to know that JVC stepped up to the plate for the warranty repair. Nevertheless, Jason, who has seen many of these JVC projectors, says the unit-to-unit difference are considerable, even for the RS-35. Once I get a 100 hrs. on the unit, I'll consider my calibration options.

J.Mike
post #657 of 1011 Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

wm/vigga: my RS-25 has very good convergence, just about perfect with the red panel, and a bit off on the blue (notice it on the tops of white text against a black background, although it seems to improve after an hour's warmup/stablization.)

Very interesting. I noticed the same thing on the RS-35 I'm currently using - panel alignment is noticeably off at turn-on, but improves with warm up. Once the internal temp reaches 55 C (normal) it's just about perfect.

---
post #658 of 1011 Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very interesting. I noticed the same thing on the RS-35 I'm currently using - panel alignment is noticeably off at turn-on, but improves with warm up. Once the internal temp reaches 55 C (normal) it's just about perfect.

Have you seen a lot of RS35's at this point? I'm curious to know your opinion between the RS35 and the RS25. While I think the RS35 is a dynamite projector in JVC's long evolving line of D'ILA's, the few RS25's that I've seen look pretty darn good too.

I guess the couple of posters above who had their OB's replaced were really lucky, especially the guy with the RS20.

I only wish they would have used a Xenon bulb in the RS series, but I guess they wouldn't have been nearly as quiet. I guess they'll be changing to LED illumination in the near future, which if nothing else will make calibration more stable.

post #659 of 1011 Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

OK, just got an HD950 and have mounted it and adjusted the vert shift to align with the screen. But how can I ensure that the horizontal shift is at zero (i.e. not shifted)? The pj mount is real close or spot on the the screen center and the screen can be moved a few inches either way. I want to be sure that the PJ and screen are aligned so that once an A-lens is installed there will be minimal image issues. I can shift full left and measure, do the same for right, then split the difference and call it centered, but there should be a better way.
post #660 of 1011 Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHorn View Post

OK, just got an HD950 and have mounted it and adjusted the vert shift to align with the screen. But how can I ensure that the horizontal shift is at zero (i.e. not shifted)? The pj mount is real close or spot on the the screen center and the screen can be moved a few inches either way. I want to be sure that the PJ and screen are aligned so that once an A-lens is installed there will be minimal image issues. I can shift full left and measure, do the same for right, then split the difference and call it centered, but there should be a better way.

You could carefully measure the distance from the center of the lens to the screen edge on each side and make sure they are exactly equal. Then if the image is centered on the screen with the vertical dimensions on each side of the image equal, you can be assured it's coming straight out of the projector. Hmmm... fair room for error in that scenario... someone else have an idea?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - D950hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page