Official JVC RS25/HD950 Owners Thread! - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 1042 Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Installing a new HD950 and need help with screen selection, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1042 Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojik View Post
Installing a new HD950 and need help with screen selection, any suggestions?
Need a lot more info. That's like saying "I'm going to buy a car, any suggestions?" Well, not quite, but... Screen size? Light situation? Room reflectivity? Throw? Your desires for brightness/angle of view? Projector position?
post #723 of 1042 Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Here is some info;
rom size is 10' x 22'
Ceiling is 8' 9"
No windows (dark room)
3 rows of theather seating
Ceiling mount projector
Screen is 10' wide (not diag)
Room walls are not finished yet but the owner wants wood

Let me know what else you need, and thanks

post #724 of 1042 Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Are the wood walls (and ceiling?) light or dark in color? Will there be lights on when watching the projector?

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #725 of 1042 Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I'm using an RS20 (very similar in output to the RS25) with a 10' wide SMX acoustically transparent screen (mine is 16:9). With a 1.1 gain I need to use high lamp and wide open iris. But the picture is really quite stunning and doesn't lack in brightness. I've never measured it but it's just fine in my (and my guest's) opinion.

So your options are large, IMHO. I don't see the need for any specialized screens. Even so, I highly recommend the SMX as you can hide your speakers, use identical full-sized speakers for left, center and right and position them all at the same height.

But nathan_h's question is a good one. You may need some ambient light rejection, depending on the reflectivity of the wood.
post #726 of 1042 Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you're building this for a client or friend. You need to get with them to discuss things like ceiling color, wall color or shade if wood stained, carpet (hopefully) color, and other aesthetic issues that will affect performance. Also, is an AT setup a possibility? Highly recommended if you have the screen wall room. If AT is a possibility, look at screens from Chris Seymour. Also, consider designing for a 'scope screen - 2.35:1 instead of 1.78:1. That is, what are the owners watching habits? Movies, vs. normal HDTV. I'm using an HD950 with a 115" (width) AT 'scope screen. Watching movies in wide screen mode cannot be beat.
post #727 of 1042 Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Dark wood with a satin finish so real bad reflectivity
A AT screen is a possibility, and sounds like a good option
There is a small wet bar next to to seating area that will have lights on when being used. But during a typical viewing no lights. Room lights are on a remote so they can be turned off from the theather seating area.
Ceiling is drywall right now. To be painted a brownish color. I was planning on doing some kind of sound panel on the walls that would be inlayed in the stained wood walls.
We have planned for 2 rear speakers, 2 front speakers, 1 center channel and a woofer.
This install is for a client and his viewing will mostly be movies at this location.
post #728 of 1042 Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM

I've had my JVC projector for more than a year, and have been very happy with it. However, I've become aware of faint, dark, sort of cloud-shaped smears/smudges/blotches during large bright images, especially noticeable if the camera is moving. But a stationary image, such as a white grayscale test, will also reveal it.
I can see some apparent scuffing on the lens when the light is passing through it, but nothing major.
When I lens-shift in any direction, the "smudges" seem to remain in the same spot on my JKP Affinity screen. However, I don't believe the screen is the culprit because I could faintly see the same pattern being projected upon a white sheet I held in front of the screen.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #729 of 1042 Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you cleaned lens and prism in lamp pit?
post #730 of 1042 Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM

I've cleaned the prism and the outside lens glass. In fact, doing the latter made me fearful that I might be adding to the hairline scuffs, even though I was using a microfiber cloth/lens cleaning paper kit.
post #731 of 1042 Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Anyone know of a way to shift the projector into V-Stretch mode "directly" instead of having to wander through the menus? Looks like there would be a way to do it via the RS-232 link, but nothing is documented in the manual on it. V-stretch CAN move the A-lens into/out of place via the trigger. But what's the point if you have to manually put the PJ into V-stretch with a bunch of button clicks?
post #732 of 1042 Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHorn View Post
Anyone know of a way to shift the projector into V-Stretch mode "directly" instead of having to wander through the menus? Looks like there would be a way to do it via the RS-232 link, but nothing is documented in the manual on it. V-stretch CAN move the A-lens into/out of place via the trigger. But what's the point if you have to manually put the PJ into V-stretch with a bunch of button clicks?
I use an MX-3000 programable remote. I programmed different macros so with one button you can set V-Stretch and 4:3 or 16:9 in different combinations.

As for RS-232, do you have the RS-232 manual?

This manual has the RS-232 codes you can use.

JVC.RS15_25_35_DILA_remote_control_guide.pdf 82.2333984375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVC.RS15_25_35_DILA_remote_control_guide.pdf (82.2 KB, 64 views)

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #733 of 1042 Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

I use an MX-3000 programable remote. I programmed different macros so with one button you can set V-Stretch and 4:3 or 16:9 in different combinations.

As for RS-232, do you have the RS-232 manual?

This manual has the RS-232 codes you can use.

There is a later version, 1.3 here:
http://uk.jvc-service.net/public/doc...=0&Dok_id=6776
It shows that there are discrete IR commands for Vertical Stretch ON and Vertical Stretch OFF
post #734 of 1042 Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 AM

Thanks! I had been using the RS232 interface data included in the HD950 user manual that came with the PJ. Your link has much more complete info.
post #735 of 1042 Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I had been using the RS232 interface data included in the HD950 user manual that came with the PJ. Your link has much more complete info.
The link that Dundas posted will always have the latest version of the guide available, so that's the one to bookmark (I wrote it BTW).
post #736 of 1042 Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

The link that Dundas posted will always have the latest version of the guide available, so that's the one to bookmark (I wrote it BTW).

Thanks Gary, got it. BTW, I don't see a direct or remote emulation command for Clear Motion Drive for the HD950. Is there one?
post #737 of 1042 Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks Gary, got it. BTW, I don't see a direct or remote emulation command for Clear Motion Drive for the HD950. Is there one?

Unfortunately not.
post #738 of 1042 Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

Unfortunately not.

Thanks. Odd omission.
post #739 of 1042 Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 AM

Hi Guys, i am looking for some help/advice on the following issue i'm having with my JVC HD950.

I get some sort of ghosting/smearng/reflections problem. This issue shows up mainly with a high contrast white image against a black background i.e. end credits of movies etc.

The one pic attached shows the issue on the JVC menu screen and the other pics show it on a plurge screen focused and defocused (i defocused it and the blue haze/smear turns into a solid rectangle as you can see).

I have visited some forums and they have suggested it may be due to internal reflections and projector placement and to move it off centre and apply some lens shift to see if that directs it away, but that hasn't helped.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

PS. I'm using a 72" screen with a 4m throw.
LL
LL
LL
post #740 of 1042 Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I had a similar issue with my HD350. It was vertical lens shift that resolved it, not horizontal. In my case this was simply a question of moving it from a lower shelf at screen centre to the top of my bookcase level with the top of the screen. This allowed enough lens shift to 'push' the reflectioins of white credits off the top of the screen so to speak. The end result was more depth to the picture too as any bright parts must have been 'ghosting' onto dark areas of the screen and raising the black levels.

I've posted this before, but there seems to be some reluctance to using shift in case it softens the image, but I've not found an issue with that, possibly due to my long throw. Anyway I'd rather have better contrast and no ghosting that I can see from my seat than a tiny drop in sharpness that I can't.

I'm using a 112" (2.8 metres) wide 2.35:1 screen from 19' throw (6 metres approx).

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #741 of 1042 Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I had a similar issue with my HD350. It was vertical lens shift that resolved it, not horizontal. In my case this was simply a question of moving it from a lower shelf at screen centre to the top of my bookcase level with the top of the screen. This allowed enough lens shift to 'push' the reflectioins of white credits off the top of the screen so to speak. The end result was more depth to the picture too as any bright parts must have been 'ghosting' onto dark areas of the screen and raising the black levels.

I've posted this before, but there seems to be some reluctance to using shift in case it softens the image, but I've not found an issue with that, possibly due to my long throw. Anyway I'd rather have better contrast and no ghosting that I can see from my seat than a tiny drop in sharpness that I can't.

I'm using a 112" (2.8 metres) wide 2.35:1 screen from 19' throw (6 metres approx).

The ghosting/smearing/reflections (or whatever you can call it) that i'm getting are a blue colour, why could that be? i have tried highering the pj to level with the top of screen and using lens shift but no luck, i can't go any higher due to limitations of my room, i have tried using more lens shift and directed image above screen onto wall/ceiling but i can still see the issue.

Do you think ceiling mounting would make a difference?

Could it be a hardware fault?
post #742 of 1042 Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM

I bought a new screen, and in testing it, seemed that the lens of my unit was dirty. I used a soft micro fiber cloth to clean the exterior part, applying it softly. But things didn't go the way I expected and during projection I could note, in clear scenes, that the part of the lens shaped like a quadrangular appeared on the screen in the same spot. Also during projection, looking at the lens sideways, i could see the dust had blotched over the quadrangular shaped part, causing, in my opinion, the problem. To make things worse, the manual botton is not working properly. Do any of you guys think this is the problem? This never happened with the last screen I just changed. What shall I do. I'd appreciate any helping. I live in Brazil and my pj is alreay out of guarantee. Tanks, in advance.
post #743 of 1042 Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 189
@Villain2100 It might be that you do have a hardware issue. The other things to ask are what are your settings? Have you adjusted the RGB gains or the main contrast perhaps...though really I don't think these are likely to be the cause, but it's worth checking.

You could try putting the projector in 'inverted mode' like it would have for a ceiling mount position, just to try it out. However I believe all it will do is invert the image on the panels electronically, but it's worth checking I guess in case it gives a clue as to the issue.

@Waltie perhaps you could try another cleaning though generally the surface of the outer lens isn't in focus so to speak. So unless it is very badly stained/marked then it's not likely to make so much difference to the image. Can't help with the manual button (I guess you mean the one that opens the lens cover?).

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #744 of 1042 Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

@Villain2100 It might be that you do have a hardware issue. The other things to ask are what are your settings? Have you adjusted the RGB gains or the main contrast perhaps...though really I don't think these are likely to be the cause, but it's worth checking.

You could try putting the projector in 'inverted mode' like it would have for a ceiling mount position, just to try it out. However I believe all it will do is invert the image on the panels electronically, but it's worth checking I guess in case it gives a clue as to the issue.

Yes i have changed the pic settings, i tried resetting them and no change.

Tried just inverting the pic so it was upside down but again no change.
post #745 of 1042 Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Kelvin: Thank you for your prompt reply.

I really think a made a mess with my tring to fix the problem. Since by the first time I projected in the new screen, and the issue did not manifest, I have reason to believe the anomalies are being produced by the lens. Besides, there's the manual botton to open the lens cover that's not working. Since in Brazil we don't have a JVC service and my unit is out of guarantee already, I contracted a specialized company to do the servicing. They said they will watch over the whole unit. Just out of curiosity, do you know how they will disassemble the cover part from the other one?. I noticed just only few screws at the front part of the unit. Thanks for the information.
post #746 of 1042 Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 PM

An amendment: when I said the company will wath over the whole unit, it means the'll only see the parts that need cleaning and the manual botton issue. They worked for me once and really did a nice good job.
post #747 of 1042 Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Please, can someone let me know what the sequence on remote is and how fast you have to go with it? Do you need to be in standby or can there be a signal like cable coming through with projector on? Any special way you need to exit?

I have searched every which way I can think of with different phrases in this thread and am coming up so far with no instructions. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Edit: Got it! Thanks James!
post #748 of 1042 Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hello all:

I just purchased a used RS25 with very low hours and I want to check the total # of hours the Projector has been used. I believe you can check this in the service menu. The hour counter in the regular menus can be reset. So I know it can't necessarily be trusted. I just want to make sure the seller told me the truth on the use of the projector.

Thanks!
post #749 of 1042 Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, had my HD950 for a year and got a pink band along the left vertical edge of the screen that covered the whole edge for about 8 inches on a 105" screen. This was in November....

I thought it my be the bulb and before sending it away I purchase bulb and swap to be sure the malfunction was the projector. Bulb replacement changed nothing.

I send it to my retailer and they send it away to JVC for repair on Dec 3. It is around 1.5 months before I get told that the whole light engine had to be replaced. I was weary about it being serviced, but saw no options.

To my rejoice I hear from my retailer that JVC is giving me a new unit. I was quite happy to hear that to say the least. Fast forward to today and finally pick up my projo and it is in a new box! Get home and open said box and realize it the protective cloth has been opened and retaped with scotch tape.

I think to myself "cool, they opened it and tested to be sure it was working properly to save the poor consumer", but no, the thing is marked up quite badly and is obviously a refurb.

Some may say I am being kinda pissy, but I waited 3 months and was told it would be new. Honestly not impressed at all. I guess new meant that it is not the crapped out one I sent, or the box that they shipped it in.

Gonna fire it up tomorrow and see how it looks. I am hoping it is better than the housing.

post #750 of 1042 Old 02-12-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

Well, had my HD950 for a year and got a pink band along the left vertical edge of the screen that covered the whole edge for about 8 inches on a 105" screen......

How many hours did you have on the unit before the problem developed?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page