Official JVC RS25/HD950 Owners Thread! - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1021 of 1042 Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hank, that would be referring to something like the Radiance line of Video Processors.

Which I use and am totally satisfied with on a RS35. The rs35 doesn't need it as much as the rs25, but it is still a very welcome/useful additional capability. Caution, you might be rather put out by the price of such a tool. Especially if you also start adding in the cost of a decent colorimeter and/or photo spectrometer and additional software to really make the most of it.

IIRC, the RS25 was rather (immensely, actually) inadequate with its built in Color Management System.

--
Or, alternatively, if you're feeding it via an HTC (Home Theatre Computer) you might find some pure software approach which works well enough for you. Caveat - you'll still need at least a colorimeter to 'do it right'.

Last edited by CrazyEddie; 10-21-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1042 Old 10-22-2015, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3974 Post(s)
Liked: 8116
It saddens me to say my projector might be going. It still has a great picture. Any thoughts? Buying a new pj isn't in the cards at this time.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1023 of 1042 Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perhaps physically crop / mask the thrown light for the defective area?
post #1024 of 1042 Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Hank, that would be referring to something like the Radiance line of Video Processors.

For structly LUT applications, the eeColor is far cheaper at just $299 and far more capable, able to store multiple 64^3 LUTs. It really is a phenominal deal. I bought mine for $499 and thought it was an incredible deal. And CalMAN supports it directly:

http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #1025 of 1042 Old 10-22-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for your responses, CrazyEddie and erkq!

CrazyEddie: thanks for the info. In reading back to the beginning of this topic, I noted that JVC did issue a firmware rev that supposedly solved the minimally functioning RS 25 CMS. I found a post with a link to download the new firmware.

erkq: thanks for the info. I'll go to the link and check it out. Maybe I'll learn what a LUT is.
post #1026 of 1042 Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
erkq: thanks for the info. I'll go to the link and check it out. Maybe I'll learn what a LUT is.
It does have some limitations that I never think about because I don't miss the features. It doesn't do 3D or 4k.

A LUT is a look-up table that corrects the display's color decoder and physical process of turning signals into the proper light. They are 3D because they correct for saturation, luminance and hue. Each of those gets 64 points and so if you want to correct for every combo of each you get 64^3... a very big number. I'm surprised this ever came to home theater.

This calibration process must be automated. There's no way anyone could sit through doing the thousands of points necessary for a display profile.
post #1027 of 1042 Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Thanks, erkq. So this eeColor processor is not automated? Thinking about this, other hardware and software, the total cost would be a high percent of what I paid for the projector. When I buy a new pj in a year or two, I would think by that point in time, pj manufacturers would have flawless decoders.

Next: screen. My rear shelf mounting location will be ~19-foot throw distance, so I think that dictates a white gain screen. Anyone here had experience with older JVC's and long throw distances?
post #1028 of 1042 Old 10-23-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, erkq. So this eeColor processor is not automated? Thinking about this, other hardware and software, the total cost would be a high percent of what I paid for the projector. When I buy a new pj in a year or two, I would think by that point in time, pj manufacturers would have flawless decoders.
Unfortunately decoders will never be flawless, because a flawless decoder doesn't sell to the general public. They're always playing games to support that awful showroom "torch mode" and playing with skin tones.

The eeColor is just a LUT holder. You need software, like CalMAN, Chromapure, LightSpace, etc. to run the show as well as a colorometer or spectrophotometer (or both if you're really serious) to measure as it proceeds. Plus you need a couple of hours for the calibration.

It may seem expensive, but I never, ever thought we'd have this kind of calibration available for our home theaters! This type of equipment used to cost $30k!

EDIT: You'd need the software and measuring tool with the Lumagen too. In this application, the Lumagen is just a LUT holder too, though it can do many other things as well.
post #1029 of 1042 Old 10-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Thanks for further detail, erkq. Well, it is impressive that we can do the detailed tweaking and that the equipment has been cost reduced over the years. I'd love to tweak my 25, but will forgo spending what - the $800 the projector cost. I just want that great JVC PQ and will download the CMS firmware that was "fixed" and do my amateur cal. In a couple of years there will hopefully be really nice LED projectors that will be close to JVC PQ.
post #1030 of 1042 Old 10-23-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for further detail, erkq. Well, it is impressive that we can do the detailed tweaking and that the equipment has been cost reduced over the years. I'd love to tweak my 25, but will forgo spending what - the $800 the projector cost. I just want that great JVC PQ and will download the CMS firmware that was "fixed" and do my amateur cal. In a couple of years there will hopefully be really nice LED projectors that will be close to JVC PQ.
Well, you'll love the RS25 I'm sure. I have an RS20! With calibration it is very nice. And a nice gamma (21 pt) is at least 1/2 of the picture quality. My favorite gamma curve for my RS20 is BT.1886. You can't imagine what proper brightness distribution does for the realism until you see it.
post #1031 of 1042 Old 10-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Anticipation!
post #1032 of 1042 Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM

I've tried a couple of different places on this forum, but no replies so far, so I'll try again here. I need screen gain recommendation.
My projection environment is:
Light controlled after sunset. Screen wall is up to 18 feet high at peak of cathedral shape, so no ceiling light bounce concern.
No side wall light reflection concern (one side light blocking window curtain, other side small alcove with media racks - dark).
Projector location: top of upper kitchen cabinet, about 8ft above floor (kitchen adjoins family/HT room).
Projection throw distance: 20 ft from screen wall to front edge of that kitchen cabinet. Projector will sit on extension.
Center HT seat distance from screen wall: 13 ft.
P.C. distance calculator shows throw distance of 18 ft 8 in will give a 140" diagonal 16:9 image with 12fL image brightness on a 1.0 gain screen.
I can tweak the pj location to get the lens at 18' 8".
I'll want to close the RS25 iris some, so that 12fL will be reduced.
I'm good at DIY and am looking at paints and ready-to-mount screen materials.
What gain should I look for? P.C. calculator shows a 1.5 gain screen will give 18fL image brightness. Is that enough to allow me to close the iris to maximize PQ?
Help!
post #1033 of 1042 Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
It saddens me to say my projector might be going. It still has a great picture. Any thoughts? Buying a new pj isn't in the cards at this time.

how many hours on your projector when that happened?
post #1034 of 1042 Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3974 Post(s)
Liked: 8116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Flynn View Post
how many hours on your projector when that happened?
I got about 3,000 hours on each of my first two lamps. I have about 150 hours on my current 3rd lamp. It started towards the end of my 2nd lamp. So it happened with roughly 6,000 hours on the pj.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1035 of 1042 Old 02-14-2016, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
How does the HD950 compare against modern projectors like Sony vpl-hw55/65es?

I'm interested in black levels and brightness?
post #1036 of 1042 Old 02-15-2016, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neppa View Post
How does the HD950 compare against modern projectors like Sony vpl-hw55/65es?

I'm interested in black levels and brightness?
Why compare a JVC to a modern Sony? Why not compare it to a modern JVC? That answer is... it kills it. The new JVCs are very bright. My RS500 is 1680 lumens with calibrated grayscale, gamma, saturation, hue and luminance ramps. And, even though it's that bright, full black makes the theater so dark I can't find my way around. I'm blind. The new JVCs are light-years ahead of the RS25 in both brightness and black level. Very knowledgeable people are selling $40,000 Sim projectors they bought 2 years ago for this as well as the current $28,000 VW1000 Sony. 4 experts had a shootout between the JVC RS600 and Sony VW665 ($15k) and preferred the JVC in every way including 4k content.

It's a real game-changer... a revolutionary price/performance product.
post #1037 of 1042 Old 02-15-2016, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Why compare a JVC to a modern Sony? Why not compare it to a modern JVC? That answer is... it kills it. The new JVCs are very bright. My RS500 is 1680 lumens with calibrated grayscale, gamma, saturation, hue and luminance ramps. And, even though it's that bright, full black makes the theater so dark I can't find my way around. I'm blind. The new JVCs are light-years ahead of the RS25 in both brightness and black level. Very knowledgeable people are selling $40,000 Sim projectors they bought 2 years ago for this as well as the current $28,000 VW1000 Sony. 4 experts had a shootout between the JVC RS600 and Sony VW665 ($15k) and preferred the JVC in every way including 4k content.

It's a real game-changer... a revolutionary price/performance product.
Well, moderm JVC is just too expensive. So, if the options are either Sony or old JVC, which one should I buy?
post #1038 of 1042 Old 02-15-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neppa View Post
Well, moderm JVC is just too expensive. So, if the options are either Sony or old JVC, which one should I buy?
Oooohhh... I thought you were moving from an HD950 to a modern projector.

Well, the Sonys you mention will be brighter, but the HD950, I believe, still has better contrast performance. The on/off rating may be higher on the Sony, but the HD950 gets it w/o a dynamic iris.
post #1039 of 1042 Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 AM

Dla rs25

I bought a JVC RS25 in 2/10 from AV Science. Got the media room done and the projector set up in late 2010. Shortly thereafter, the picture showed a blue spot that would not go away. I shipped the projector to JVC under warranty and they replaced the Optical Block PC0072002U9. It worked fine until early this year when the whole picture went reddish. I shipped it to Mendtronics in 4/16. Apparently, it is now a boat anchor. They say they can't fix it. It needs another Optical Block PC0072002U9, which they say JVC no longer makes, nor does any aftermarket company. It apparently also needs a BHL5010-S. Monique at Mendtronix said this problem is relatively rare, but I see from this thread that it is not rare and is an ongoing problem. Someone on this thread earlier mentioned that Sontec in the UK had a fix. Does anyone have an update on this? Has anyone dealt with Sontec and, if so, does the fix work? Any info would be appreciated. I am not happy with turning my over $6000 projector less than 6 years old into a boat anchor. Thanks!
post #1040 of 1042 Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera View Post
I bought a JVC RS25 in 2/10 from AV Science. Got the media room done and the projector set up in late 2010. Shortly thereafter, the picture showed a blue spot that would not go away. I shipped the projector to JVC under warranty and they replaced the Optical Block PC0072002U9. It worked fine until early this year when the whole picture went reddish. I shipped it to Mendtronics in 4/16. Apparently, it is now a boat anchor. They say they can't fix it. It needs another Optical Block PC0072002U9, which they say JVC no longer makes, nor does any aftermarket company. It apparently also needs a BHL5010-S. Monique at Mendtronix said this problem is relatively rare, but I see from this thread that it is not rare and is an ongoing problem. Someone on this thread earlier mentioned that Sontec in the UK had a fix. Does anyone have an update on this? Has anyone dealt with Sontec and, if so, does the fix work? Any info would be appreciated. I am not happy with turning my over $6000 projector less than 6 years old into a boat anchor. Thanks!
Well, I'm not happy about my RS20 turning into a boat-anchor with the dreaded "magenta stripe" either. But there's nothing to be done. My malady is much more common than yours, but it matters little. Still, I love the JVC picture so much I bought a new RS500 that arrived 12/24/15, just in time! So that's what I did about it. The magenta stripe problem has been solved for many generations and I decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did! Some very knowledgeable people have sold their $40k Sim Lumis Host and replaced it with this.

I didn't tell my wife... I just installed it while she was away. The very first image she saw... the opening credits for Sleepless in Seattle, she said, "Wow... that's a really great picture!"

I know it's not a solution, but I looked at it as an opportunity. We watch it every night... we're binge watching Game of Thrones right now... very sick-o writers but it's so incredibly spectacular on the big screen with the RS500 that we can't resist. It literally makes my wife gasp.
post #1041 of 1042 Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well, I'm not happy about my RS20 turning into a boat-anchor with the dreaded "magenta stripe" either. But there's nothing to be done. My malady is much more common than yours, but it matters little. Still, I love the JVC picture so much I bought a new RS500 that arrived 12/24/15, just in time! So that's what I did about it. The magenta stripe problem has been solved for many generations and I decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did! Some very knowledgeable people have sold their $40k Sim Lumis Host and replaced it with this.

I didn't tell my wife... I just installed it while she was away. The very first image she saw... the opening credits for Sleepless in Seattle, she said, "Wow... that's a really great picture!"

I know it's not a solution, but I looked at it as an opportunity. We watch it every night... we're binge watching Game of Thrones right now... very sick-o writers but it's so incredibly spectacular on the big screen with the RS500 that we can't resist. It literally makes my wife gasp.
I checked out the RS500 online, and it looks like quite a nice projector. I was planning sometime in the future to change from a 16:9 to a 2.35:1 screen and get a projector that can be adjusted, so maybe this is the time. From a quick read of the specs, it looks like the RS500 can pass-through 4K (hope I am not reading that wrong), which I think is important for the future. When I looked at projectors a few years ago, JVC's projectors could not do that. Thank you for your response. I guess I will try to look at this as an opportunity, too.
post #1042 of 1042 Old 05-05-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera View Post
I checked out the RS500 online, and it looks like quite a nice projector. I was planning sometime in the future to change from a 16:9 to a 2.35:1 screen and get a projector that can be adjusted, so maybe this is the time. From a quick read of the specs, it looks like the RS500 can pass-through 4K (hope I am not reading that wrong), which I think is important for the future. When I looked at projectors a few years ago, JVC's projectors could not do that. Thank you for your response. I guess I will try to look at this as an opportunity, too.
I'm not sure what you mean by "pass through". If you mean passing it through all the way to the panels so you get the extra resolution available in UHD, yes... this current crop of JVCs does that. People who have seen it are very excited. Apparently it's quite a dramatic difference in sharpness with UHD sources.

Yeah... lemonade. I was really angry too... but this new projector is stunning. And it does 3D quite well. I've only tried it once (out of curiosity) and there was no ghosting at all and it has got good brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page