post #181 of 1011 Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I'd like to add that I have had a hard time in the past finding string that didn't stretch. Anyone have any suggestions?

It is over $100 other than possibly during sales, but here is a measuring tool that might work:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...measuring+tool

I'm not sure if it is the same tool, but the Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) ad for Sears here:

http://www.blackfridayads.com/stores/22

shows a laser measuring tool on sale for $49.99.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1011 Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

But, this implies to me that my issue isn't that the projector is significantly skewed with the plane of the screen. I'll look closer, but still have to figure out why the image ends up to one side.

Sounds like maybe one problem is the assumption that the center of the horizontal lens shift is halfway between the most it can go to the left and the most it can go to the right. I'm not sure how things work in the RS20 lens mechanism, but maybe there is something in there that limits the horizontal shift to one side a little more than the other.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #183 of 1011 Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Sounds like maybe one problem is the assumption that the center of the horizontal lens shift is halfway between the most it can go to the left and the most it can go to the right. I'm not sure how things work in the RS20 lens mechanism, but maybe there is something in there that limits the horizontal shift to one side a little more than the other.

--Darin

I would agree. With the JVC, being close to center is all that is needed. Slight lens shift is not an issue. The key is to get the top and bottom of the image parallel by pointing the projector L/R as needed and the sides parallel by tilting up/down. If the image is then off in one corner, it could be the screen mounting. If all the sides of the screen are not aligned on the same plane you will have issues that cannot be fixed woth projector aiming.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #184 of 1011 Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

It is over $100 other than possibly during sales, but here is a measuring tool that might work:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...measuring+tool

I'm not sure if it is the same tool, but the Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) ad for Sears here:

http://www.blackfridayads.com/stores/22

shows a laser measuring tool on sale for $49.99.

--Darin

I have the Bosch DLR130 laser measuring device. It is accurate to 130' at +/- 1/16"...pretty slick. I use it for figuring basic positioning, but I have not been able to get it to accurately find center since the back end is flat, making it tough to "pivot" on the lens center.
post #185 of 1011 Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I have the Bosch DLR130 laser measuring device. It is accurate to 130' at +/- 1/16"...pretty slick. I use it for figuring basic positioning, but I have not been able to get it to accurately find center since the back end is flat, making it tough to "pivot" on the lens center.

TOOLS!
I have the Stabila LE200, accurate to 600',+/- 1/16". For projector positioning and mounting, I rely on my Stabila construction lasers, plum bob/lay-out laser and laser cross hair laser. When my setup is complete, I have a laser line projected on the ceiling perpendicular to the screen and dead center. The mount can then be mounted anywhere on that line...... The cross hair is also very useful in setting up anamorphic lenses...

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #186 of 1011 Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tools are good...tools are gooooooodddd.
post #187 of 1011 Old 11-06-2009, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I just tried re-centering the lens controls again, this time on my actual screen, shifting the image all the way to the left then all the way to the right, marking those points, then shifting the image so it measures directly between them. This still leaves the image way over to the left side of my screen with my projector lens supposedly centered to the screen. What the h#ll?

This definitely won't work as I found out recently. In the service menu is a "lens position reset" option. I had misunderstood what this did and let me repeat what I said earlier in this thread, DO NOT TOUCH IT. But basically in the factory they set the lens position to a central position, and this service menu option takes a snapshot of that position. Then it LIMITS the movement of the lens shift mechanism from that point in any direction. Apparently this is to minimise damage risk from hitting the mechanical limits. Based on what I recall out of the box, I had a bit more vertical up than down originally. So I think this is only set approximately to begin with.

I have been struggling to think of a way to ensure absolute perfect centre. You can get handheld laser pointers with spirit levels in them. You could put the laser pointer infront of the centre of the lens (which in itself would be hard to get dead accurate) towards the screen. Note that middle point. Then put a test pattern up with a clear central marker, and align the pattern to the red dot.
post #188 of 1011 Old 11-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Art's RS25 Review

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-rs25/index.php

Founder | BullsEye Calibration | www.bullseyecal.co.nz
post #189 of 1011 Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I always enjoy Art's reviews, but with JVC's track record, not surprised with the outcome. Just 2 more months, then I can finally own one.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #190 of 1011 Old 11-08-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post

Art's RS25 Review

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-rs25/index.php

Thanks for the review link. it hit a few points I found interesting.

After sitting in a box here for over a week I finally had my new JVC HD950 installed into my HT. (Thanks joerod for steering me well on this PJ). My expectations were high esp. since I replaced a projector going back to 2004. Initial impressions absolutely do not disappoint.

Ran some cable (FiOS) some Blu-ray and some Video Games. For my tastes, the image is just about... perfect. Really, it's going to take some work for me find things to criticize from this PJ. Even uncalibrated the THX mode is excellent of the box and that's given that I drop it down right in front of my calibrated Kuro 6020 Plasma as a reference point.

i do agree with the reviewer's impression that the THX mode feels just a tad bit "flat" out of box. i could see a calibration that improves on it somewhat. The other modes could use even more help even as solid offset color temparatures so thats going to be a project for me. Even out of box though this THX mode will make me very happy on movies and for accurate viewing in general.

i also found the reviewers impressions on the JVC Frame Interpolation helpful although the final analysis was predictable. This feature just doesn't seem to sit right with most movie afficianados and A/V purists and for obvious reasons.

Still from my perspective this looks like the biggest reason for getting the new model rather than it's predecessor RS20. He finds the "soap opera" / "video" effect too strong. For friends of mine that like the feature in other displays that's the very effect that floors them so much so in the end the more pronouced effect may register as a net ++.

Finally, I was also relieved to find the projector's brightness to be excellent for my applications and usage. Before purchase, that was a little concerning for me after I read joerod's review where he prefers the new Sony (85?).

It sounded like this PJ might lack a bit in brightness but I'm finding that is a non-isssue. I am able to get very, very good performance even when I allow for some ambient light in the room which sometimes it's convenient for me to do. I haven't engaged the high lamp mode yet either so I'm quite sure the lumens of this PJ will get it done for me.

Looking forward to reading up more on the wealth of information in these owner threads (RS20 + RS25).

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #191 of 1011 Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hi,

Like many others here I have been enjoying many hours of sports and movies on my HD750. I have 1230 hrs on the original bulb and just recently have developed a pink vertical band down the left side of the screen. Has anyone seen this before? Is it because of the bulb having over 1200 hrs on it?

Rick
post #192 of 1011 Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Hi,

Like many others here I have been enjoying many hours of sports and movies on my HD750. I have 1230 hrs on the original bulb and just recently have developed a pink vertical band down the left side of the screen. Has anyone seen this before? Is it because of the bulb having over 1200 hrs on it?

I have a slight pink color cast across the right edge of screen, not all the way up though, about 1/3 up. This was from day 1, brand new. Will keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse overtime, hopefully it doesnt or might need to send it back. Seems common with the RS20! Maybe only JVC will know what is causing it.

post #193 of 1011 Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi,

It is not the lamp, but it does need to be serviced.
post #194 of 1011 Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Jason,

Can you give (me/us) some insight about what causes this issue?

Thanks

Rick
post #195 of 1011 Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks Jason,

Thanks

Are you able to take a photo of it? I want to see if its anything similar to mine.

post #196 of 1011 Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Sure I'll take a picture and post it when I get home from work.
Also, I will move this over to the RS20/HD 750 thread.

Thanks

Rick
post #197 of 1011 Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Jason,

Thanks

Panel issue (though I specifically don't have the exact cause).
I have seen it before though.
post #198 of 1011 Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Just curious about the light leakage mentioned in Art's review, which is my only concern with this projector besides the hand-wash only filter. Does anyone have any issues with this? I will be having some vertical and horizontal lens shift and am curious if I'll notice it.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #199 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 AM

Projector Central's RS25 Review

http://www.projectorcentral.com/jvc_...tor_review.htm

What is interesting in their review

"In brighter scenes with sufficient dynamic range, the 8500 UB, and particularly the AE4000, can look higher in contrast"

" ... when the scene is of average light level and moderate to high dynamic range, the difference in apparent contrast between the RS25 and its competitors is not dramatic. Though the 8500UB and the AE4000 surpass the RS25, the difference is not anything that most viewers would consider to be huge"

post #200 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 AM

Hi All,

Are you able to look at an image when trying to focus or are you only able to see the word "Focus"? If you can please tell me how.

Cheers,
Chris
post #201 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishall11 View Post

Hi All,

Are you able to look at an image when trying to focus or are you only able to see the word "Focus"? If you can please tell me how.

Cheers,
Chris

I forget exactly where it is, but there is a "Pattern" on/off selection (I think towards the latter boxes). It defaults to on so when you choose zoom/focus/shift you see the green grid. Turning it off will keep whatever source you turn on displayed.
post #202 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 AM

So does the HD950 meet or exceed your expectations and is it worth the money?

Steve
post #203 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Just curious about the light leakage mentioned in Art's review, which is my only concern with this projector besides the hand-wash only filter. Does anyone have any issues with this? I will be having some vertical and horizontal lens shift and am curious if I'll notice it.

I can't speak to the light leakage comment, but am curious as to what concerns you about the hand-wash-only filter. I ask because I have the RS20, and have had no problems cleaning the filter using the method indicated by the manual - pop it out, wash it with water, let it dry, then pop it back in.
post #204 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I can't speak to the light leakage comment, but am curious as to what concerns you about the hand-wash-only filter. I ask because I have the RS20, and have had no problems cleaning the filter using the method indicated by the manual - pop it out, wash it with water, let it dry, then pop it back in.

how often do you clean the filter? do you follow the recommended cleaning interval?
post #205 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski11 View Post

how often do you clean the filter? do you follow the recommended cleaning interval?

Every few months - maybe not quite as often as I should, but it doesn't seem particularly clogged when I've cleaned it. I have over 1400 hours on my not-quite-year-old RS20 now.

I don't know what the "recommended" cleaning interval is - in the RS20 manual it only states "regularly" - no specific guidance on number of hours or number of months, and the projector itself has never put up a "please clean filter" type warning on-screen. My last projector (Sony HS20) did put up those types of warnings, if I remember correctly, every 1000 hours or something like that, even though I'd clean the filter after ~500 hours on that PJ and replace it every ~1000 hours.

Expanding on my "let it dry" comment - this really means "wash it before going to work in the morning, put it back into projector in the evening" to me, not something where I'd want to put it back in even slightly damp.
post #206 of 1011 Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberath View Post

So does the HD950 meet or exceed your expectations and is it worth the money?

Steve

Hi Steve.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, the HD950 has exceeded my expectations. Now I've read for some, if you're upgrading from say an RS20 for example, it may not be a huge difference. I can't say about that. For me, I'm upgrading from a Pioneer 60" Kuro. And it's a huge difference. I find myself watching movies I'm very familiar with and seeing them "new" again. Way cool. Also, coming from the Kuro I was concerned about black levels going to a PJ. Let me reassure you, the black levels with the HD950 are quite stunning.

Is it worth the money? That's a whole other can of worms. For me, the answer is yes, it's worth it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #207 of 1011 Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I think once every 6 months is fine for the filter. Even after 6 months it is far from clogged. I actually recommend you buy a spare, so you can substitute the clean one immediately on removing the dirty one. What happens if bits of dust/dirt get into the hole in the projector while the filter is removed? Easy to happen when its upside down on a ceiling mount!
post #208 of 1011 Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I clean my filter by gently removing it, then taking it outside and hitting it with some blasts of compressed air. Looks brand new afterward and can be reinserted immediately without concerns about it being wet, etc.
post #209 of 1011 Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 365
My PJ won't pass BTB unless it's set to "Enhanced." I have the Oppo 83 set to YCbCr 4:4:4, deep color at 36 bits. I have my PJ set to the same YCbCr 4:4:4. If I switch to either "Standard" or "Auto" I lose BTB. What am I doing wrong? Or is "Enhanced" what I want it set at?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #210 of 1011 Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

My PJ won't pass BTB unless it's set to "Enhanced." I have the Oppo 83 set to YCbCr 4:4:4, deep color at 36 bits. I have my PJ set to the same YCbCr 4:4:4. If I switch to either "Standard" or "Auto" I lose BTB. What am I doing wrong? Or is "Enhanced" what I want it set at?

Yes, this is just the way it is (I have the RS20). In 'Standard' one does not get BTB or WTW; one can still set Brightness and Contrast correctly, though, and they usually both come out ~ 0. If you set to 'Enhanced', you do get BTB and WTW, and this makes it somewhat easier to set Br and Cst; I come up with Br = -6 and Cst = +6, with is about what most others also get.

This was discussed a great deal in the first days of the RS20. I think that both ways give essentially equivalent pics in the end, but you do need to set Br and Cst correctly for whichever way you choose to go. (I use 'Enhanced'.)
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - D950hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page