Official JVC RS15/ HD550 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 859 Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Location: Fort Worth, TX (born and raised in Montréal, Québec, Canada)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpagger1 View Post

Does anyone know anything about the seller Gadget-Town on Amazon? They seem to have a pretty good deal on this PJ right now and was looking for any input.

3K for a RS15? Doesn't seem like a good deal to me if you consider the pre-release price on a soon to be released RS40... check out the RS40/50/60 thread and call the AVS sales team. Maybe the pre-release price is still good.

GO HABS GO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 859 Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
3K for a RS15? Doesn't seem like a good deal to me if you consider the pre-release price on a soon to be released RS40... check out the RS40/50/60 thread and call the AVS sales team. Maybe the pre-release price is still good.
Especially when the DLA-HD250PRO is $3K MSRP...

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #633 of 859 Old 11-27-2010, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
Especially when the DLA-HD250PRO is $3K MSRP...
Strictly speaking the RS15 had some small improvements over the RS10 (HD250) such as finer focus adjustments, plus the frame creation mode (not for 24p of course) and maybe some other minor items. Therefore if the same price as a HD250 then I'd say take the RS15, however if the pre launch deal for the RS40 is even close to these prices, then unless you're going to get in debt buying it, I'd say get the RS40 and don't look back: It's equal to an RS25 in most specification terms and it has a much more accurate colour mode than the RS10/15/HD250 (maybe good enough not to need a CMS for many owners).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #634 of 859 Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Strictly speaking the RS15 had some small improvements over the RS10 (HD250) such as finer focus adjustments, plus the frame creation mode (not for 24p of course) and maybe some other minor items. Therefore if the same price as a HD250 then I'd say take the RS15, however if the pre launch deal for the RS40 is even close to these prices, then unless you're going to get in debt buying it, I'd say get the RS40 and don't look back: It's equal to an RS25 in most specification terms and it has a much more accurate colour mode than the RS10/15/HD250 (maybe good enough not to need a CMS for many owners).

The HD250, IIRC, was the Retail version.... The HD250PRO I mentioned is offered by the Professional products division of JVC ........ Dealer cost of the RS40 is over $3K, where the HD250PRO can be sold for less than $3k...

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #635 of 859 Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

The HD250, IIRC, was the Retail version.... The HD250PRO I mentioned is offered by the Professional products division of JVC ........ Dealer cost of the RS40 is over $3K, where the HD250PRO can be sold for less than $3k...

AFAIK the only difference with the Pro versions (apart from any dealer costs that may be different) was the gold trim on the RS models and sometimes a very slightly higher claimed CR. Based on selling prices I still stand by what I said re the RS15 over the HD250 or even HD250Pro: It was a slight improvement, but not IMHO worth paying any extra for, but at the same price, surely not a difficult decision to go for the RS15?

Of course if the RS40 is only a small amount more, then that would be tempting for someone starting from scratch (or having a very old projector). However from what I saw yesterday of the new X7, I wouldn't think it worth the expense for an existing RS10/15/HD250 owner to sell and upgrade to the RS40 as the difference (especially if you already own an external CMS as I do) isn't worth the cost IMHO. Currently the 3D side doesn't work for me, being too dim and causing a headache after a short while, plus some ghosting on certain discs (but not all) YMMV.

post #636 of 859 Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlino View Post

Mike,

The last time they appeared I removed the HDMI cable from the projector and they were still there which leads me to believe that it is a projector issue and not a source issue. I fired it up last night to test your theory regarding whether the blue splotches appear with no source connected and there weren't any issues. So not sure yet under what circumstances they decide to appear. Now that the weekend is here I should have some time to play with it and make some observations (between soccer and little league baseball of course).Thanks.

donlino

Has anyone been able to fix this problem? Has anyone sent their RS15 back to JVC to repair this problem? My projector still has these blue splotches once in a while and I'd like to get it fixed. This is a very strange problem because the splotches are there even when I hide the video.
post #637 of 859 Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Hi all , recentley everytime I turn on the projector I get a once off tap when the lens opens. I'm curious to know if anyone knows what it could be and has had that problem before ?

Frank

post #638 of 859 Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi all , recentley everytime I turn on the projector I get a once off tap when the lens opens. I'm curious to know if anyone knows what it could be and has had that problem before ?

Nobody had experienced this problem??

Frank

post #639 of 859 Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 AM

Hello,

I had that on mine for the first few weeks. It seemed like it would hesitate at around the middle a bit until fully opened. It disappeard though after a while.

I fact the lens opening process is the only minor flaw of the projector. It is way too loud and noisy and does not seem to be too well engineered.

Before I used a Mitsubishi HC6000. I will install the 6000 in the cellar of my parents, therefore I put a new lamp into it and so could make a direct comparison with the 550 under the same conditions. My room is rather dark, but not black, the screen is 3 meter wide matte white.

The lamp in the 550 has around 1400 hours on it, the old lamp in the 6000 around 2000. The light output of the 6000 with the old lamp in high mode is way lower then that of the 550 in normal mode (meaning not high mode), the overall contrast on the 550 is also way better overall. With the old lamp the 6000 is unwatchable, even on lower screen sizes.

The new lamp in the 6000 in high mode is maybe a little brighter than the 550 in normal mode and the contrast looks better now, but the 550 is still better in contrast overall and so seems even then brighter. I have no measuring equipment, so that's just what I subjectively observed.

As a result of that I will use the lamp in the 550 until around 2000 hours until I will change it.

So I'm still a happy 550-owner. Over the years I went from a Sanyo PLV-60 to a Hitachi TX-200 to the Mitsubishi HC6000 and ended for now with the JVC 550. The JVC is really the first of all I do not really have anything to complain about.

Regards,
Ralf

Happy viewing,
BigRalf:-)
post #640 of 859 Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can anyone comment on which RS15 menu settings I should have implemented to minimize motion blur?

I am allowing my Oppo 83 Blu-Ray player to upscale my standard DVD's to 1080P/60. Is this the best method for upscaling or should I allow the RS15 to upscale a 480i DVD signal from the Oppo?

Thank you
post #641 of 859 Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone comment on which RS15 menu settings I should have implemented to minimize motion blur?

I am allowing my Oppo 83 Blu-Ray player to upscale my standard DVD's to 1080P/60 is this the best method for upscaling or should I allow the RS15 to upscale a 480i DVD signal from the Oppo?

Thank you
post #642 of 859 Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Nobody had experienced this problem??

I can't say I have seen this with mine.?
Hmmm.

Love DIY
post #643 of 859 Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

I am allowing my Oppo 83 Blu-Ray player to upscale my standard DVD's to 1080P/60 is this the best method for upscaling or should I allow the RS15 to upscale a 480i DVD signal from the Oppo?

Thank you

I would definitely let the OPPO handle the upscaling (that's what I do).

Forgive me if I state the obvious but ensure you don't have "Clear Motion Drive" "ON." I like the looks of it during some movies/sources yet mostly it really looks bad during fast moving scenes etc. Make sure it's off.
Other than that my sharpness settings are both at 0.

The JVC's, however excellent, do have a little native motion blur. More so than other projectors I have seen. I tend to think I notice it more now than when I first received the RS15. I have about 380 hrs on mine.

Piggy backing on this request however, if others have settings/recommendations I'll take them as well.

Love DIY
post #644 of 859 Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM

I love my new RS15 from Jason but coming from the DLP world I really miss my eye popping color so I was looking at Video Processors mainly for good CMS for better overall color Like the TruVue eeColor Processor or AV Foundry Video EQ Pro any suggestions would be appreciated

Life is Through the Son
post #645 of 859 Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I love my new RS15 from Jason but coming from the DLP world I really miss my eye popping color so I was looking at Video Processors mainly for good CMS for better overall color Like the TruVue eeColor Processor or AV Foundry Video EQ Pro any suggestions would be appreciated
Greetings MADDOG from MT,

Did you check out the Video EQ forum in the display calibration section? It is definitely popular - many with JVC PJ's use them. I never did go that route. Figured the RS15 was my first PJ and my second would have more bells and whistles etc.. I have eyeballed a few used EQ Pro's however

Hows the weather in Whitefish? I grew up there and in Kalispell - I miss the snow skiing just not the cold.. Many a good season on Big Mountain!

Love DIY
post #646 of 859 Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

I use a VideoEQ Pro with my HD350 (previous, but virtually the same as the HD550). The point of the VideoEQ though is to reduce the eye popping colour as it's highly oversaturated natively. The VEQ will allow you to dial in perfect greyscale, gamma and gamut if you have the tools to do this (I use Chromapure, i1LT and I rented an i1Pro).

If it's the better ANSI contrast you're missing from DLP then all I can suggest is that you calibrate the HD550 and see if you can set up a gamma of 2.3 (this will require a good room with dark walls, not just zero ambient light). You could also try positioning the projector so that you can use some vertical lens shift as this will help improve ANSI contrast due to reflections in the lens/iris. My HD350 is positioned level with the top of my screen and this extra lens shift isn't enought to noticably soften the image, but it does stop some ghosting isses I had which would have also decreased ANSI contrast. Other than that, ANSI contrast is a bit of a weak point on the JVC DILA models, so not much else to say.

post #647 of 859 Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 AM

Thank you KJSmitty & Kelvin1965S I will either buy the VideoEQ Pro or wait and see if the rs40 will satisfy my needs if so I will see if Jason will help me upgrading to the RS40.
PS. I love living in whitefish my house is 12 mils north on highway 93 and down lupfer RD 3 mils. I can see the lights on the back side of big mountain

Life is Through the Son
post #648 of 859 Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 AM

Have not posted for a while, I have some bad news. My RS15 has had a catastrophic failure (Optical Block) the unit it still under warranty(9 months left). Phoned up JVC they wont fix it due to the cost (6000$ approx) so they need to track down a replacement (discontinued in North America) JVC will have to look in Japan for a unit could take a month (approx) to find replacement. I asked them if there were any other options?

I am happy to say they answer was yes. I had to pay the difference but I am now a new owner of a RS40 (at my house tomorrow)

Thoughts?
post #649 of 859 Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The screen image geometry of my RS15 is not quite right or uniform throughout the screen. I am not sure how to setup screen geometry. Page 21 of the owner's manual has some parameters for initial setup that would apparently cover geometry and I am well within those parmenters but my geometry is still not right.

Is the yaw adjustment of the mount critical, how do I dial that in?

Should I experiment with Keystone adjustment to dial in geometry?

Can anyone comment on how to properly dial in screen geometry? Is there a detailed written explanation somewhere?

Thank you.
post #650 of 859 Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You really shouldn't need to use keystone (it's not recommended anyway as it reduces resolution and can cause diagonal lines to become jagged). It's 'just' a matter of adjusting the position of the projector by tilting and twisting it. Do not worry about the image lining up with the screen initially, just get it so that the grid pattern from the focus menu looks 'square' not with trapezodal sides. Once it is straight, you can use the projector's shift controls to line up the image with your screen.

In simple terms too wide at the bottom means the projector needs to be aimed higher. Too tall on the left, means you need to turn the projector towards the left. It may help if you reduce the zoom so that the whole pattern fits easily on the screen while you do this, then zoom out and shift once you think you're there.

post #651 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Hey everyone, just got my brand new JVC RS15 today! It's installed and runs great when doing component video but nothing I try seems to work for HDMI. I've tried multiple devices with no luck. It just says No Input. Troubleshooting in the manual doesn't help and I haven't had any luck on searches to find answers. Anyone have a suggestion?

-- Edit --
What I was trying before involved a very long HDMI cable that runs through my ceiling to a media room behind my screen. As an experiment I unhooked one of my devices and brought it over to the PJ. I hooked it up to the PJ with a shorter HDMI cable and BAM I had picture! I can only assume then that the problem lies in my extra long HDMI cable. Does anyone know if there are limitations for this with regards to the PJ? Or maybe I just need to get a specific type of HDMI cable?

Thanks,
Shay
post #652 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Bad HDMI cable?
post #653 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Shouldn't be a bad HDMI cable. It was working fine with my old PJ which blew out causing me to upgrade to the RS15. I looked up the order for the cable and it is pretty old so I think I just need to upgrade to something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #654 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamersCloset View Post

Shouldn't be a bad HDMI cable. It was working fine with my old PJ which blew out causing me to upgrade to the RS15. I looked up the order for the cable and it is pretty old so I think I just need to upgrade to something like this:

Gamer,
I have the exact Monoprice HDMI that you linked above (25ft 22ga silver/high speed). Two of them to be exact. One direct from my BD player and the other from my AVR. Both go to my RS15s HDMI 1 & 2 respectively.

That should get ya going.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #655 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. Just ordered it up.
post #656 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamersCloset View Post

I'm using the same cables, 35ft, works like a charm. I've never had any problems with the many Monoprice cables I have bought.
post #657 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

@Gamerscloset: Have you tried using the other HDMI input on the projector as there have been cases of one port working better than the other? Worth a try while you're waiting for a new cable to arrive.

post #658 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings fellow RS15 owners,
Ive own my RS15 for about 15 months now and have about 450 hrs on it. It has literally been flawless with exception to what I am going to discuss...

I cant even say that this is a problem and/or I just never really payed much attention to it, but I would swear that I am getting more and more "motion blur" while watching the RS15. Any panning type motion etc is completely blurry except for the item the camera is specifically looking at. Sometimes the entire screen is blurry during the motion/panning shot.

I know the JVCs aren't perfect with motion yet like I mentioned I would swear it has gotten worse (much worse) since new.? All other aspects of the PQ are excellent.

Is increasing motion blur even a possibility with the RS15 and if so what would cause it and should I be thinking of calling JVC?

Could this just be a characteristic of the movies, however I don't notice it when watching the same movie on my 54 inch plasma.?

Thanks for your expertise and thoughts.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #659 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Greetings fellow RS15 owners,
Ive own my RS15 for about 15 months now and have about 450 hrs on it. It has literally been flawless with exception to what I am going to discuss...

I cant even say that this is a problem and/or I just never really payed much attention to it, but I would swear that I am getting more and more "motion blur" while watching the RS15. Any panning type motion etc is completely blurry except for the item the camera is specifically looking at. Sometimes the entire screen is blurry during the motion/panning shot.

I know the JVCs aren't perfect with motion yet like I mentioned I would swear it has gotten worse (much worse) since new.? All other aspects of the PQ are excellent.

Is increasing motion blur even a possibility with the RS15 and if so what would cause it and should I be thinking of calling JVC?

Could this just be a characteristic of the movies, however I don't notice it when watching the same movie on my 54 inch plasma.?

Thanks for your expertise and thoughts.

Cheers

I agree with you, my RS15 motion blur is getting worse as it ages too. It is a real distraction now. Odd that it seems to get worse with age? I'm not happy about it. I have about 475 hours on my original bulb. My video signal goes from my DVD player to a pre-pro before it goes to the projector, I'm just using it as a switch, maybe I should wire it direct to see if there is a difference, the pre-pro is not supposed to molest the signal though?

See post #641 in this thread.
post #660 of 859 Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

My RS15 in high lamp mode has a very loud fan noise, the fan noise is not noticeable in normal mode. Is there some kind of setting to reduce fan noise in high lamp mode?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page