Official JVC RS15/ HD550 Owner's Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 860 Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've always been a bit suspicious of calibrations on new projectors prior to delivery as they change so much during the first few hours of use. It might be that you just need an in room calibration done to account for the lamp ageing and the room's influence on the picture.

In terms of making DVDs look better, then perhaps try setting the Oppo to 1080p output so that it does the upscaling rather than the projector. If you are already doing this, then try the 'source direct' mode so that the projector does the upscaling to see if you prefer the result. For my HD350 I found that the order went as follows: Projector worst, then Oppo better, then finally Lumagen best, but the difference between my Oppo (93) and the Lumagen was small so Oppo is pretty good IMHO. Try turning off the various settings in the Oppo too as sometimes they don't improve the picture (noise reduction, sharpness to name two).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 860 Old 12-15-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Off topic - I put a wanted ad in the Classified column (Accessories) for those who ceiling mounted and do not need the adjustment feet.

Thanks.
post #843 of 860 Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, looking for some guidance to talk me off the ledge. The other night, I got this dreaded pink banding issue. Then today, the worst news ever, my Mastercard extended warranty is expired.

I purchased 4/28/10, 2 years with JVC and 1 with Mastercard, but no dice. Can someone explain what I am missing. I thought I get a year beyond manufacturer warranty, but they say up to a year if the manufacturer warranty is under a year.

I'd this so? Because it was not how I read it. How does Amex do it? I want to figure this out. Thanks

I never used my cc warranty so this is the first try, so far the experience is not fun.
post #844 of 860 Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Sorry to hear that Smakovits,
I can't help you with your warranty/CC question yet would like to know how many hours you had on your RS15. My RS15 is a Nov 2009 vintage and I have been knocking on wood and crossing fingers ever since I read the first mention of "pink". So it's 3.5 years old yet probably less than 1400 hours on the bulb/clock..
Have you actually spoke to JVC about a repair? I got the impression they couldn't even get the parts to do it. Would love to know if something specific is causing the failure of the optical block...

Good luck.

Love DIY
post #845 of 860 Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I will check the hours tonight. I think close to 2000 but I am not certain, when I fire it up tonight I will check.

As far as the warranty goes, can someone please interpret what this means.
EXTENDED WARRANTY

Doubles the original manufacturer's or store brand warranty for up to one year when you pay with your eligible MasterCard card.
post #846 of 860 Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Many thanks,

My interpretation would be it doubles the warranty period yet not to exceed one year. As in, a manufacturers warranty of one year old be a total of two. A manufactures warranty of two years would not mean four total just one additional totaling three.

Love DIY
post #847 of 860 Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I assumed the same, 3 years. However, as it is told to me, 0-12 month manufacturer Warranty gets me up to 24 months max, if the manufacturer has a warranty of 2 years, Mastercard gives you zilch.

As a result, I called Amex to ask about how theirs works. Well, if the manufacturer gives 2, you get 1 = 3, if 4 years, you get 1 = 5 years up to 5 years where you get a 6th year coverage. As a result of this, I think I know how I will be making all future purchases... Bye Bye mastercard

As of now the unit works, but it sucks to know what is coming of this.
post #848 of 860 Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Sorry to hear that Smakovits,
I can't help you with your warranty/CC question yet would like to know how many hours you had on your RS15. My RS15 is a Nov 2009 vintage and I have been knocking on wood and crossing fingers ever since I read the first mention of "pink". So it's 3.5 years old yet probably less than 1400 hours on the bulb/clock..
Have you actually spoke to JVC about a repair? I got the impression they couldn't even get the parts to do it. Would love to know if something specific is causing the failure of the optical block...

Good luck.

1949 hours
post #849 of 860 Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a random thought as I have never used it nor do I know much about it and how it works, but what about the squaretrade warranties that can be purchased through Amazon. Is that for amazon only or any electronics? The thought is simple, if it is for any electronics device and it starts from original purchase date of a device, I can buy the 4 year for $450 which is way better than a $3100 optical block plus the repair/install fee...or is squaretrade for amazon only purchases?
post #850 of 860 Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone here tell me what the menu setups are in my RS15 to ensure that it is not in any way scaling my video signal? I am feeding it with an Oppo 83 Blu-ray player and want to ensure that my RS15 is not rescaling my video.

Thank you!
post #851 of 860 Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

Can anyone here tell me what the menu setups are in my RS15 to ensure that it is not in any way scaling my video signal? I am feeding it with an Oppo 83 Blu-ray player and want to ensure that my RS15 is not rescaling my video.

Thank you!

I believe you just have to turn "Film Mode" off.

Stace
post #852 of 860 Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

My RS15 lamp has about 1500 hours on it and is going down hill in High Mode now on my 120" screen. What effect would opening my Aperture setting up have at this point, it was set at "3" when it was ISF calibrated.

Thank you!
post #853 of 860 Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

My RS15 lamp has about 1500 hours on it and is going down hill in High Mode now on my 120" screen. What effect would opening my Aperture setting up have at this point, it was set at "3" when it was ISF calibrated.

Thank you!

Raise brightness a little, lower contrast a little.
post #854 of 860 Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 AM

Liked: 10

Hi,

I just got a JVC HD550 and the picture is beatiful. However, I have a problem with my unit, or something.

I have only used my projector once and it is connected from my computer with a 30 feet HDMI cable. A few times during calibration there was a glitch in the screen, or whatever you would call it, and the picture suddenly woild be covered about 50% with thin vertical pink and blue stripes. It just flickers, then it is back to normal. The flicker came back only once while watching an hour of a movie, once I was happy enough with the calibration.

My old projector was mounted at the same spot and was hooked up with the same cable without any problems.

Since you might ask, I don't know if the disturbance in the picture shows up in front of the projectors own menus. 

I tried hooking it up through both HDMI ports at the projector.

The signal goes from my computers DVI output to HDMI input of receiver then to the projector via the long HDMI cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone else seen this problem?
I will try as soon as I get the time to watch something from my laptop hooked up with an other, shorter, HDMI cable to see if it works as well as through VGA or something.

post #855 of 860 Old 11-28-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here found a good deal lately on replacement lamps for the RS15, can the lamp be changed out while still ceiling mounted?

Thank you!
post #856 of 860 Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 AM

I have an update to my own problem. This is only present while watching content from my media center PC. If I connect a laptop through an other hdmi-cable or watch television from my tv-box through the same receiver and cable to the projector the problem is not present.

Or at least initial testing shows these results.

Mike

post #857 of 860 Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semikroo View Post

I have an update to my own problem. This is only present while watching content from my media center PC. If I connect a laptop through an other hdmi-cable or watch television from my tv-box through the same receiver and cable to the projector the problem is not present.

Or at least initial testing shows these results.

Mike

Sounds like it could be a compatibility issue with your Media Center/PC's video card/interface (handshake issue) - have you tried a different HDMI cable between Media PC and AVR - or maybe go direct from the PC to the 550 as a diagnostic measure?

Cheers

Love DIY
post #858 of 860 Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Sounds like it could be a compatibility issue with your Media Center/PC's video card/interface (handshake issue) - have you tried a different HDMI cable between Media PC and AVR - or maybe go direct from the PC to the 550 as a diagnostic measure?

Cheers

Hi,

My old setup was Media Center/PC with ATI 1250 DVI-port to AVR Onkyo 307 via DVI-HDMI cable. This was hooked up to a Sony HW10 with my long HDMI-cable.

Then I installed the JVC HD550 and started getting these problems. At the same time I got new front speakers and found out I needed a more powerful receiver.
Found a Onkyo 607 on ebay and decided to go for a new graphics card with sound over HDMI at the same time. Getting a HD6450 Asus card.

I have since hooked the system up with HD6450 HDMI-HDMI to Onkyo 607 and then my long HDMI-cable to JVC HD550.

Still same issues.

Very sporadic glitches where the screen becomes filled with pink stripes.

An other update is that I have tried with my BluRay player and watched an entire film yesterday without any problems.

I added 24p, 50p and 60p explicitly to the allowed outputs in the new graphics card catalyst center. 
Might have been a coincidence but the last time I watched a movie from the Media Center I had no issues.

Though at the same time issues were present while not running MPC-HC. I.e. when watching the desktop of the computer at 60 hz.

Could this be a problem that is only present at 60 hz?

Thanks for your input. Sure seems like a HDMI-handshake issue. I will soon just come to terms with that my computer and my projector just aren't friends and live with the glitches.

Mike

post #859 of 860 Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi guy I'm selling my rs15 if anybody is interested pm me
post #860 of 860 Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Knocking the rust off this old thread...

Back in 2011 I had an optical block issue with my RS15 (post 746). Fast forward to about a week ago and I've started to have a brownish yellow band show up on the opposite side. I'm guessing based on what's been posted here, it again is the optical block and far too pricy to repair. It goes without saying, JVC will not be getting my money dispute the great performance of the projector when it worked.

Just for amusement, the 2377 hours on the projector results in a cost of $1.80 per hour of use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 17, 4 35 51 PM 22.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	269241  

Last edited by Drew_N; 09-19-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page