Official JVC RS15/ HD550 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it's probably a little cheeky of me to start the Owner's Thread, given as how I came by the projector (winning the AVS Cedia Contest), but UPS dropped it off an hour ago, and it's already throwing a fine image, even though the room it's in doesn't have any more light control than closing the curtains and waiting til later.

That's a wall mounted JVC 65S998 behind the boxes in the second of the attached pictures; it's a great three chip LCoS RP set, and very thin due to a folded optical path, but was only on the market for a few months before JVC exited the RP space. We use it for daytime and casual TV use, reserving the front projector for films and other content worth seeing on the big screen (although 100" is at the low end of screen sizes on this forum). The motorized screen drops just in front of the RP set.

It was a little sad to unplug the RS1 after two and a half years of excellent service. The RS15 is narrower, and fit handily on top of the Oppo BDP-83 that I picked up during their Early Adopters program. I found a $3.50 right-angle HDMI adapter at Monoprice (third image) that prevented the HDMI cable from sticking out towards the couch.

The power lens cover is very cool. I had just finished carefully cleaning the RS1's dusty lens a few days ago, using a Zeiss pre-moistened lens cloth.

As soon as the RS15 turned on, I noticed was that the initial image was thrown way high and to the right; I had assumed that the default position would be much closer to the axis. I was quickly able to zoom out a bunch and center the image (I project from near the far end of the range for my 100" screen, which drops lumens, but increases contrast). The power lens shift, zoom, and focus are really nice; I no longer need binoculars to focus! The resolution is fine enough for centering, and the backlash is noticeable but modest.

One thing that I don't understand is that when I center the green grid of squares on the screen, and drop in a Blu-Ray Disc, the movie's image is offset about two inches to the right. Weird.

On reading the manual, I noticed that even though the bulb is the same as that used in the RS10 and RS20 (BHL5010-S), the quoted lifetime has increased 50% from 2000 to 3000 hours! That's good news, but I wonder if the RS15 operates the lamp at slightly lower current, or if JVC has simply amassed enough life test data to raise the number, and RS10/20 users will also experience 3000 hour bulb life.

The image is definitely brighter, although this is probably partly the new bulb and the increase in lumens from the RS1 to the RS15. I can still see hand puppets, but that was expected - even with the gains in contrast ratio, we still have a ways to go until the black bars are truly black, especially given my high Power screen fabric.

I did spot one central and two fainter slightly brighter than background vertical bands in a dark scene in Changling. I had that once before on the RS1, and forget what led to it and how I made it go away. A quick switch to The Fifth Element showed that it was not the projector. Some HDMI quirk?

I have a Lumagen HDP to address the oversaturated primaries. It's not a RadienceXD, and the secondaries are not quite where they belong, but it does the job.

I'll need a few hours before I could make any critical observations, let alone run HCFR, and with a wedding in my wife's family this weekend, time will be hard to come by.

Kevin
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Congrats on winning the contest!

I am waiting for my RS15 to arrive.

Jerry
post #3 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
Congratulations on winning the contest.

I ordered the RS15 and get it tomorrow so will post some pics and thoughts of it on the weekend.

Mike
post #4 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM

Dido..Congrats on winning the contest. I am expecting my order to come in tomorrow as well. I will be watching and listening out for the doorbell like a hawk.
post #5 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the contest Kevin. I have the RS10 and am thinking about upgrading to RS 15/25. How do you like the FI feature on this unit? I think performance wise the 15 will be similar to my 10, just curious about the added features. Share your thought as you get more time with that bad boy.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Liked: 12
Congratulations as well. I'll count myself among those who had to buy their own too. Ordered from the AVS store - great price, great service, it's coming though Canada Customs today! Should be a major upgrade from my old Panasonic PT-AE900!

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM

congrats! the UPS driver was probably like "WTF is in this package?!?" lol!
post #8 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow. We just finished watching "Changeling", and this projector rocks! My comments on the pretty obvious hand puppets was due to the Auto Input for HDMI selecting what was obviously Enhanced when I toggled between the three options. I knew something was wrong with my black level, and as soon as I forced Standard, there was a night and day difference. Yes, I can still see a shadow from my hand, but it is a lot darker, and clearly better than the RS1. With that change, the improvement was dramatic, although I need to dig out Spears and Muncil and at least set the brightness and contrast using the Lumagen before I go much further.

I also remembered seeing those three vertical bands before - subtle, and only during dark scenes, but there none the less. I now remember that a call to Lumagen a year or so fixed the issue. I can't remember what they had me do, but I'll call them again.

The lateral shift between the green grid and the movie was odd, but I noticed a feature called Picture Position - it was set to 0,0, but maybe this will get the two to jive.

The projector is faintly audible in Low Lamp, but pretty noticeable in High. Its quieter in Low Lamp than my RS1 after I added case damping materials, and perfectly acceptable (and we are sticklers about projector noise).

Kevin
post #9 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

A thumb up pose with UPS drive.... no u didn't! Congrat on the new beamer.
post #10 of 860 Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What's this "hand puppets " thing he's talking about?.. I never heard of this problem. It sounds like LOCS artifact.
post #11 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCarthy View Post

The lateral shift between the green grid and the movie was odd, but I noticed a feature called Picture Position - it was set to 0,0, but maybe this will get the two to jive.

This might be a Lumagen setting. Remember that you can move the position of the image using the output settings on the HDP/Q.

Sounds like you're happy with your new PJ.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #12 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
There's already an RS25 Owner's thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1183978

Wouldn't just one thread for the RS15/25/35 be the way to go? Or does the CMS (or lack of one) warrant separate threads for each?
post #13 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

What's this "hand puppets " thing he's talking about?.. I never heard of this problem. It sounds like LOCS artifact.

A low-tech CR measuring device: Hold hand in front of projector while displaying black and make puppets on screen.
post #14 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

There's already an RS25 Owner's thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1183978

Wouldn't just one thread for the RS15/25/35 be the way to go? Or does the CMS (or lack of one) warrant separate threads for each?

The CMS is a big deal. The 10 and 20 had separate threads.
post #15 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A low-tech CR measuring device: Hold hand in front of projector while displaying black and make puppets on screen.

I almost explained this too. But then I realized he was taking a poke at LOCS (sic) projectors. I think. Hard to tell. Very dry.

EDIT: And, as long as you are explaining it, may as well get it right... sock puppets are for measuring black level. They don't tell you anything about CR.
post #16 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCarthy View Post

I need to dig out Spears and Muncil and at least set the brightness and contrast using the Lumagen before I go much further.

Kevin

I don't know how much it matters, but Lumagen suggests setting brightness and contrast using the display controls and then color and greyscale in their device.
post #17 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I almost explained this too. But then I realized he was taking a poke at LOCS (sic) projectors. I think. Hard to tell. Very dry.

EDIT: And, as long as you are explaining it, may as well get it right... sock puppets are for measuring black level. They don't tell you anything about CR.

Yeah, I wasn't sure either.

What source do you use for puppets? Video black field from a calibration disc (Avia, DVE, etc.)?
post #18 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't sure either.

What source do you use for puppets? Video black field from a calibration disc (Avia, DVE, etc.)?

That's funny. Using a calibrated black to measure sock puppets

YAN
post #19 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Drewski11: "I don't know how much it matters, but Lumagen suggests setting brightness and contrast using the display controls and then color and greyscale in their device."

Thanks for the reminder.

I'll bet that it was some tweaks to the brightness and contrast on the HDP that caused the Auto Input on the RS15 to choose Enhanced.

Kevin
post #20 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Congratulations on your win. Not sure what happened? I thought I was going to get this?

Seriously, have you played with the FI for sports and movies yet?

post #21 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All we have watched so far is a 24 fps Blu-ray movie; I tried it there, but couldn't see any effect, which would be expected. I won't have a chance to try 60 fps material for a few days now.

Kevin
post #22 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Well I heard the doorbell ring, and I looked out the window and it was the UPS guy. I opened up the door and he only had one small box in his hand. I knew this was the mount I ordered for the projector. I began to wonder where the heck was the projector because he only brought one box to the door. He tells me I wanted to make sure you was home before bringing the other box because it's a beast.

I replied you have no idea with a big grin on my face . So far I have only been able to unbox everything. I probably wont get to play with it until tonight.

I did have a quick question for everyone. This is my first projector, so I want to make sure I do this right. The room where the projector is going has 9ft ceilings. I used a projection calculator to figure out the distance back the projector needs to be as I will be projecting on either a 128: or 136" 2:35 screen. So, I am planning to mought the projector 18ft back from the screen, my question is can I mount the projector directly to the ceiling using the cheif mount or do I need to drop it a little using some threaded piping to get the best image on the screen. The top of the screen will be 1ft 11" from the ceiling and the room is completely light controlled. Any help is much appreciated.
post #23 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The manual mentions PC resolutions supported, up to very high resolution, but there is no PC connector. Is it the same if I simply break out a VGA connector to the component inputs?

Kevin
post #24 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoneternal View Post

my question is can I mount the projector directly to the ceiling using the cheif mount or do I need to drop it a little using some threaded piping to get the best image on the screen. The top of the screen will be 1ft 11" from the ceiling and the room is completely light controlled. Any help is much appreciated.

It depends on the type of screen... hi gain? low gain? retro-reflective? angular reflective?
post #25 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

It depends on the type of screen... hi gain? low gain? retro-reflective? angular reflective?

I planning to purchase the carada brilliant white screen if that helps.
post #26 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM

My turn to take the plunge. I ordered the RS15 through Jason. Also ordered a 129" 2.35:1 Silverstar screen as we want a large, bright image in a not-completely-dark room.

This AVS forum has been incredibly useful. Thank you, thank you to all of you. I can't wait to get my first HT coming all together.

YAN
post #27 of 860 Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Liked: 22
Hi,

user manual is available here :

http://uk.jvc-service.net/public/doc...odel=DLA-HD550
post #28 of 860 Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 AM

Well, after months of reading about different projectors and changing my mind frequently. . . . a shiny new RS15 arrived today. I thought I'd share my impressions for anyone else sitting on the fence about this one.

First some quick background - most recently I've been using an Epson 720p which has been an amazing projector for 3 years. So obviously, this is quite an upgrade. However, I did own a BenQ w5000 (FW 1.21) for a few months though couldn't get past the dithering / noise (especially on SD material) so was able to return it. In the past 2 weeks I've seen a RS2 and a Planar 8150. Though the RS2 isn't the high end for JVC anymore, I still preferred the overall "feel" watching it compared to the planar. (which really surprised me)

My RS15 is sitting on a shelf ~19ft back projecting onto a 118" Carada BW screen in a light controlled room.

Sharpness - Amazing! I know JVC is considered "average" sharpness compared to others, though, honestly, I just can't imagine anything being sharper.

Colors - OK, after reading the forums here, this is what I was the most scared of with "cheaping out" on the RS15 vs the RS25. . . . . I've been watching on Cinema 2 mostly tonight (which says its 6500K) and have been consistently impressed with the colors. I see nothing distracting or un-natural. On the contrary, colors are vivid yet pleasing. I'm sure there is room for improvement with calibration, though for the average user you will be blown away by the colors. Now, I've never seen a RS20 or other projector with a CMS so I probably don't know what I'm missing . . . Lightning McQueen seems accurately Red on the screen right now. Bond in Quantom of Solace had excellent skin tones, etc.

Convergence - I tried moving the pixels adjustments for everything, though found the default '0' settings were the best for everything, so I guess my machine came with as good as it gets convergence. Even up close I see virtually no fringing.

FI (Clear Motion) - Again, after reading German, French and Norwegian forums, I wasn't anticipating great things. Though, overall, seems to be a good addition to a projector. For Animation (pixar, etc), it just has to be seen to be believed! Really cool effect! With Dark Knight and Quantum of Solace (both via 24p from my Blueray player), I found "low" to smooth out the fast pans without giving it that awful soap opera effect I see on all the flat pnael displays at Best Buy . . . . (hate that). Even high setting wasn't overly distracting. I'm still not sure If I'll use FI very much, though I kept going back to it. I haven't tried it on HD sports yet though overall I see no major problems with it. Maybe I just don't know what to look for?

SD material - Watched some chapters from Star Wars on DVD with the kids tonight, and was consistently amazed with the sharpness, smoothness and colors. Looked 'near' HD . . . .

Black Levels - Amazing! Sure the RS25 / 35 must be better, though without having seen them, I'm blown away with the contrast of this unit.
Also surprising to me are the whites . . . . Watching a chapter of Band of Brothers on blue ray where they were in snow, also highlighted the amazing WHITES of this projector. Its amazing that you can get such good blacks and clear / bright whites at the same time. I need to mess around with gamma settings (I believe) as shadow detail wasn't ideal out of the box on the current settings . . .

Overall, I am very impressed! It just has a very natural feel about it that I didn't get from watching my LCD or even the w5000 or 8150. I'm sure it'll get better with some basic calibration. I searched for an ISF calibrator, and unfortunately, the nearest one is a couple days drive away so I guess I'll be learning some basics myself . . . .

If anyone can give me some pointers on how to take good screen shots with DSLR, I'll post some later.
post #29 of 860 Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

I received the dreaded "UPS EXCEPTION" email on my RS15 from Jason. They tried to deliver, but no one home. Hope UPS enjoys mine for the weekend. More on Monday evening. Upgrading from an HX2.

db
post #30 of 860 Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 AM

My RS-15 arrived on Thursday about 10am and I'm a happy camper. I'm upgrading from a Benq PE8700 (720P). Screen is a 133' DaLite High Contrast Cinema in a dedicated light controlled HT. My primary goals were to improve brightness and contrast. Tired of watching everything in the cave, especially football.

Initial Impressions WOW!!! This is an awesome PJ. Ceiling mounted the PJ and aligned the image. No other adjustments yet. I have 3 rows of lights. I consider the picture extremely watchable with the back two rows of lights on medium. The lamp mode is normal and contrast is excellent. I watched some of the W VA game. Football and baseball look great. Watched the opening scenes of Tomb Raider BR on the Oppo BDP-83. Sweet! Also put on Batman Begins to test upscaled DVD. We got so immersed in the picture we watched the whole movie. My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I could not see much difference between the BR and the upscaled DVD. Not sure if it is the Oppo or the projector, but the combination is unbelievable.

Brightness - This is worth the price of admission for me, along with the improved contrast.

Sharpness - I agree with Astrocyte. I have no complaints about the sharpness of the image.

Colors - I'm very happy with the colors. I did notice a scene or two that look a bit over-saturated while watching TV. This appears to be a problem with color correction in the source material, IMHO, as 99% of the scenes look great and then the flesh tones would appear overly saturated.

Convergence - I have one issue I'd like to get comments on. In the attached picture, I am aligning the image with the screen. If you look at the bottom right corner, you'll see the lines drift down to the frame. Is this normal? Can it be corrected?

Motion Artifacts - Nothing unusual while watching SportsCenter. I'll report more on this after the games this weekend. There is a scene at 10:50 of the movie Friday Night Lights. The camera pans across the field and a players meeting. It seems to be very hard to process this scene. The white uniforms seem to jump or jitter across the screen. I've used this to compare video processing with other systems. With the Oppo set to 1080p output, it is still jittery, but much better than the other equipment I've tested. I'll try some other settings this weekend and report back.

Overall - Without tweaking, this PJ throws an incredible image. I am thrilled! I can't wait to spend some time this weekend testing more material. What stands out for me? You see the flaws in the source material. Poor camera work, out of focus scenes or bad color correction become obvious. Most likely since I am watching with a critical eye. More importantly, my wife loves it!
LL
LL
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page