post #391 of 411 Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Anyone still in love with their vw85?

Every time I start it up I fall in love with it all over again.

I am still amazed how much quieter and better the image is on the VW85 compared to my old Epsons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 411 Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for your response...

... if I may ask, what other projectors did you consider when you bought the vw85?

I'm a "buy the best of last year's tech" kinda HT shopper, so the vw85 and RS35 are at the top of my short list.

Thanks

XBL GT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #393 of 411 Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I was able to fire up my old 85 last week and I can say it is a terrific unit. Great motion, great for sports and does excellent Blu ray playback. If one can be had at a discounted price (a large one) I would not hesitate. You still can't do much better than it unless 3D is on your short list.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #394 of 411 Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Thank you Joe. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

XBL GT:

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:

post #395 of 411 Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Thanks for your response...

... if I may ask, what other projectors did you consider when you bought the vw85?

I'm a "buy the best of last year's tech" kinda HT shopper, so the vw85 and RS35 are at the top of my short list.

Thanks
The JVC RS25/35 and the Sony VW85 were at the top of my list. For me the deciding factors that pushed me to go with the VW85 were; that the VW85 is dead quiet, it handles motion better and the image is better on normal to bright scenes (The dark black crush image of the JVC is not my thing).
post #396 of 411 Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Liked: 10
how high can the vpl-vw85 be from a the top of a 133 screen surface?
post #397 of 411 Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Just received my new 85 today (yes, I'm late to the party). This is a replacement of my VPL-VW50 which bit the bucket.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play with it all that much (the picture does look awesome). I have to get a new Chief pipe for it, as the Pearl had a better vertical lens shift vs. the 85. Going to have to bring down the 85 another three inches.

Now to save my money for the A-lens.

Ed Lee

post #398 of 411 Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if this projector will accept a 120hz input via analog? If so, how about moome 1.4 to analog. If this has already been commentated on previously, I apologize . I made an effort to look for some information but could 'not find any.
post #399 of 411 Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM

raneil, probably not, max being 60 hz. If haven't seen any way to do 120hz though I only had two days with the pj. What are you trying to achieve?
post #400 of 411 Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This projector is listed at 120hz however I believe there is a limitation of 60hz through the hdmi inputs. The rgb may not be limited. The moome 1.4 is supposed to enable you to use this input for their adapter albeit it is meant to be used on the older tube projectors. So if this possible, it could feasible be able to have 3d with the vw-85 although you would have to figure out how to sync to the source.
post #401 of 411 Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneil View Post

It could feasible be able to have 3d with the vw-85 although you would have to figure out how to sync to the source.

Even if you could do that, the problem is knowing when each frame will be displayed on the screen. I mean, something inside the projector or attached to the lens would need to know when a frame changes, and signal that to a glass or a alternating polarizer attached to the lens.

I think the best way to experience 3D is to buy a cheap 3D projector like the Acer one, and use a two projector setup. Another way would be to have bough 2 VW-60s or 2 VW-70s (b-stock). This approach still has problems and a lot of DIY...you'd need to add polarized filters, etc. But it would work if the screen is kept like at 90" with a HP screen. Still, it'd consume twice the energy. The good thing about this approach is that it is passive, and that you'd avoid having alternating images to one eye then the other (which in rare cases could be a problem).

I think there are many missing 3D due to expecting a lot from IQ before jumping in. I would have never thought about even the remotest possible idea of having 2 PJ. But I think I might get an Acer just for 3D.

The other option which you will hate is using something like PowerDVD 10 Ultra and only getting an ugly version of 3D (anaglyph), and using the software that can make almost all regular games rendered in 3D actually displayed as 3D anaglyph as well. This can cause headaches, delivers extremely bad IQ, but can provide a sense of temporary relief. I know about it because I tried. Sometimes, 3D can be amazing and provide a different experience.

Personally, I'd just taste 3D from time to time with analygh, to get the courage to buy a second projector - a cheap DLP with DLP link (there's a 720p from Acer and some Optomas that can serve well), until good quality 3D is affordable. And at the current prices for the JVC's or Sony's (and also considering how dim they are in 3d), it could be several years away.
post #402 of 411 Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I got a vw70 B-STOCK from AVS coming on Friday.
Was hoping to grab a vw85, but all sold out, such is life.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #403 of 411 Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Has anyone experience the projector not responding to IR? I upgraded from a vpl-vw50. I used the same IR codes to control it, locked it up and had to unplug it to power cycle it. Today I changed the codes out and locked it up again....
post #404 of 411 Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Shaun,

What remote are you using? I've not experienced any IR lockups.

Ed Lee

post #405 of 411 Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a fantastic price right now at avscience store. Is anyone considering it? I'm thinking about it but it's always tough with cedia so close...
post #406 of 411 Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 AM

Hi Guys, had the 85 for nearly a year now, before that an HW 10. Last night "Monsters" exhibited a lot of something I once saw on th 10 and attributed to an authoring fault on the BD (Half-blood Prince). During a long sequence of dark shots, the black bars seemed to vary in darkness. On Potter this just happened a couple of times. On Monsters, loads! Is this a normal consequence of using the dynamic iris (Auto 1)? Or is it another badly authored disc, or, heaven forbid, a faulty projector?

Grateful for any insight :-)
post #407 of 411 Old 08-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just bought a new in the box VW85.

Will most likely arrive next week.

Anyone have a "must do list", besides calibration?
post #408 of 411 Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Blu View Post

Hi Guys, had the 85 for nearly a year now, before that an HW 10. Last night "Monsters" exhibited a lot of something I once saw on th 10 and attributed to an authoring fault on the BD (Half-blood Prince). During a long sequence of dark shots, the black bars seemed to vary in darkness. On Potter this just happened a couple of times. On Monsters, loads! Is this a normal consequence of using the dynamic iris (Auto 1)? Or is it another badly authored disc, or, heaven forbid, a faulty projector?

Grateful for any insight :-)

I've had this a few times too, but not recently, not sure were it comes from. In my stepup, it's like a momentry flash were the black bars getting slightly brighter, like going from black to grey. Doesn't affect the main picture though? No resolution to the issue, just letting you know you're not the only one.
post #409 of 411 Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Sheridd2 - That's right, doesn't affect the main picture. I think it is the DI, turning it off seemed to solve the problem. I also read somewhere that the DI doesn't understand that the bars aren't part of the picture and so can alter the shade. Strange that it's so rarel noticeable if that's true though, huh?!
post #410 of 411 Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Should I set my vw85 to overscan 'off' or 'on' - I am running it through a Radiance?
post #411 of 411 Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I was able to fire up my old 85 last week and I can say it is a terrific unit. Great motion, great for sports and does excellent Blu ray playback. If one can be had at a discounted price (a large one) I would not hesitate. You still can't do much better than it unless 3D is on your short list.

Just received my 85 last night. I think it was the last one left at AVS. It was tough with the new 30 and 95, but I don't need 3D and the 95 was a little too steep.

I have a 1.3 gain 120" diag 16:9 with ~15.5' throw. Recommended settings anyone? I've read the thread but throw, screen size & gain play such a role i was hoping someone would have a similar set-up. I do have the Disney WOW BD calibration disc on the way.

Gotta say, that thing is pretty. Thinking I might want to go ceiling mount just so I can see the case. Oh, and WAY easier to set up and move around than my previous 9" CRT.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page