Please post experience of JVC HD750/350/550/950 bulb lifetime / lamp brightness drop - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is definitely well worth doing. My lamp has over 2,000 hours on it but was still very watchable. After cleaning, the difference was noticable, even though the inside of the projector did not appear very dirty. The lamp WAS dirty, though. Whoever it was who suggested that this may be plastics outgassing (or somethign like that) may be on to something because the stuff I cleaned off my lamp was black like plastic.

Affable Nitwit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

So when the manufacturers say half brightness, are they talking about measured or perceived?

I'm almost certain that they are basing it off a 50% lumen drop, not perceived brightness.

Dan
post #93 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I may try this on an old bulb of mine that I have readings from right before I replaced it with a new bulb. (Epson 1080UB)

For those that are not seeing any residue from the bulb when cleaning it, this leads to the simple fact of reseating the bulb playing a large factor for some reason. It would be nice to get readings in two steps.

Initial reading
Remove bulb and reseat
Take reading
Remove bulb, clean and reseat
Take reading

This would help determine if reseating is playing a factor.

Dan
post #94 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have had my bulb assembly out a couple times and reseated it with no visual changes. I didn't expect it would. My projectors cal is in good shape right now so I don't want to clean it to find out. Lumens are high enough for now but this thread has me wondering if it needs cleaning. I lost a lot of lumens in the first 100 hours of my current bulb and had to switch to high lamp mode. Since then it has been stable. I have an RS1 but I see some RS1 owners had seen the same thing after cleaning the lamp and lens just in front of the lamp assembly.

Ron
post #95 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hearing all the good reports here, on the way home today I stopped by our local camera shop and picked up some lens cleaning fluid and microfiber lens cloth (as lovingdvd recommended above). My wife and daughter took off to see a movie, so I had some time to play with my CA813 light meter and GetGray disk. I WAS ASTOUNDED WITH THE RESULTS, as I think you will be.

The second lamp on my RS20 has 1300 hrs (yes, I watch it a lot, for everything!), and I have the Iris = 0 (i.e. wide open). Screen is a 126" diag Dalite HP (gain ~ 2.8 with pj and viewers in optimal location). Here are the results:

Before cleaning: 3.15 fc (low lamp), 4.38 (high lamp) [high/low ~ 1.4, about normal]

After cleaning: 6.78 fc (low lamp), 9.53 (high lamp) [high/low about the same]

So the Cleaned/Uncleaned ratio is > 2, i.e., more than a 100% increase in brightness! A dramatic increase was evident even before doing the 'after' measurement, but the #'s are just astounding. It's almost like having a new projector. I had been using High lamp, but that's really too bright for me (producing ~ 27 ftL), so I've gone back to Normal lamp (producing ~ 19 ftL).

Since the screen area is 47.1 ft^2, the new High lamp value gives ~450 lumens, about 50% of the spec'ed value for a new lamp; this seems reasonable for a lamp with 1300 hrs.

So thanks to l'dvd and all you others who have been publicizing the effect of cleaning the lamp. F...ing amazing!

PS Also went back and re-calibrated grayscale and CMS (with ChromaPure); changes were significant, though not grossly different.
post #96 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could someone tell me exactly what kind of cleaner and cloth was used? I'd rather not use something inappropriate and ruin a bulb (or something more expensive / delicate inside the projector). Where's a good place to pick up cleaner / cloth? (I'm assuming I don't have the right materials at home.)

I just swapped out a bulb for the first time on my RS10 and wouldn't have thought to actually clean the bulb or the pane. I did clean the filter (also for the first time) as recommended in the owners manual.

The bulb I swapped in does have some hours on it (a bit over 300), so I'd like to pull it out and clean it and see if that makes a difference. Also, if I understand the earlier postings in this thread, some are also cleaning the pane inside the projector that the bulb snugs up against (I just opened up the projector to swap the bulb and saw the pane for the first time).

I bought the projector used last year (including two used bulbs) from a guy local to the area. The bulb in the projector had a bit over 700 hours on it (if I remember correct). This morning, when swapping the bulb, it was at almost 2000 hours (1993, to be exact). It had dimmed considerably, but was still watchable in our bat cave. This second bulb (300+ hours) I just put in is not a whole lot brighter, but then I normally keep lens aperture at either 1 or 2, Cinema 2 setting, and normal bulb brightness (IOW, I don't usually blast out a lot of lumens), so it's fine for hopefully another 1000+ hours (I'd love to get 2000 on this bulb, too).

I also just bought a brand new replacement bulb, which will get put in when needed. It will be interesting to see the effect on brightness (and general color calibration) of a new bulb, for the first time.

One problem I've noticed in the last couple of months is a vertical "purple band" about 2 inches wide on the left side of my screen (96" inch wide screen, 110" diagonal). It didn't go away with the bulb swap, so if it's still present after a cleaning, I'll have the original owner over for a look (and I might have him over anyway for some color tweaking). Otherwise I'm worried that something bad has happened to the light panel inside the projector.

Cliff
post #97 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM

I just read misterwill's reply, so can I assume if I stop at most camera shops and buy any decent lens cleaning fluid and microfiber cloth that I'm good to go?

Thanks, all!

Cliff
post #98 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffg View Post

I assume if I stop at most camera shops and buy any decent lens cleaning fluid and microfiber cloth that I'm good to go?

Thanks, all!

Cliff

That's what I would recommend. The cleaning fluid I was given says 'Promaster Optic Clean' Lens Cleaner, and says "Safe for use on all photographic and optical lens".
post #99 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Hearing all the good reports here, on the way home today I stopped by our local camera shop and picked up some lens cleaning fluid and microfiber lens cloth (as lovingdvd recommended above). My wife and daughter took off to see a movie, so I had some time to play with my CA813 light meter and GetGray disk. I WAS ASTOUNDED WITH THE RESULTS, as I think you will be.

The second lamp on my RS20 has 1300 hrs (yes, I watch it a lot, for everything!), and I have the Iris = 0 (i.e. wide open). Screen is a 126" diag Dalite HP (gain ~ 2.8 with pj and viewers in optimal location). Here are the results:

Before cleaning: 3.15 fc (low lamp), 4.38 (high lamp) [high/low ~ 1.4, about normal]

After cleaning: 6.78 fc (low lamp), 9.53 (high lamp) [high/low about the same]

So the Cleaned/Uncleaned ratio is > 2, i.e., more than a 100% increase in brightness! A dramatic increase was evident even before doing the 'after' measurement, but the #'s are just astounding. It's almost like having a new projector. I had been using High lamp, but that's really too bright for me (producing ~ 27 ftL), so I've gone back to Normal lamp (producing ~ 19 ftL).

Since the screen area is 47.1 ft^2, the new High lamp value gives ~450 lumens, about 50% of the spec'ed value for a new lamp; this seems reasonable for a lamp with 1300 hrs.

So thanks to l'dvd and all you others who have been publicizing the effect of cleaning the lamp. F...ing amazing!

PS Also went back and re-calibrated grayscale and CMS (with ChromaPure); changes were significant, though not grossly different.

So glad to hear about your excellent results! I was just saying earlier today that I was surprised the topic was not getting the hype it deserves because the results really can be dramatic, as you have found. I picked up 75% brightness, you picked up over 100%. And all for just a few minute work. Nice!

Can you describe what the prism-like glass looked like? Did it have a smoked-over look to it? Did anything come off on the cloth? In my case there was no dirt, dust or visible residue of any type on the cloth afterward (although it did look much shinier when shining a flash light on it afterward vs. before). That is why I was so surprised to see I still got a great boost in brightness.

As a side note, I recommend taking measures with the meter in lux instead of fc. It is a bit more accurate that way. I use the lux option that gives me lux with a a decimal value (x.y format).
post #100 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
"I also just bought a brand new replacement bulb, which will get put in when needed."

You might want to run the new lamp for awhile so that you don't experience infant mortality after it's out of warranty.

Noah
post #101 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

So glad to hear about your excellent results! I was just saying earlier today that I was surprised the topic was not getting the hype it deserves because the results really can be dramatic, as you have found. I picked up 75% brightness, you picked up over 100%. And all for just a few minute work. Nice!

Can you describe what the prism-like glass looked like? Did it have a smoked-over look to it? Did anything come off on the cloth? In my case there was no dirt, dust or visible residue of any type on the cloth afterward (although it did look much shinier when shining a flash light on it afterward vs. before). That is why I was so surprised to see I still got a great boost in brightness.

As a side note, I recommend taking measures with the meter in lux instead of fc. It is a bit more accurate that way. I use the lux option that gives me lux with a a decimal value (x.y format).

Thanks again, Ric, for making noise about this. To quote Joe Biden, this is f ... ing big!

The prism did appear to have a dull deposit, and there was a small amount of soil on the lens cloth. (As you noted, though, much of this could have come from the metal casing.) But the prism certainly did appear brighter after the cleaning. The surface of the lamp itself also seemed much brighter after the cleaning. Sounds like mine was dirtier than yours, but perhaps this is reasonable after 1300 hrs.

Yes, lux is about a factor of 10 smaller unit, but one can read fc to 2 decimal figures, which is already more than the accuracy of the measurement. (I just hold the meter in front of the screen, and the second decimal place in the fc value jumps around a bit.)

But boy, a factor of 2 in brightness with this simple process; amazing!
post #102 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I cleaned mine a couple of days ago (450 hours or so) and while I haven't measured it, I've knocked the iris back down a couple of steps to control the brightness. Back at -14 and enjoying great blacks and brilliant whites. I'll check 100 IRE pattern another night to see how it compares to my recent calibration.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #103 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

...Yes, lux is about a factor of 10 smaller unit, but one can read fc to 2 decimal figures, which is already more than the accuracy of the measurement...

Its not so much that - but rather that it has been said that this particular light meter is more accurate when providing the reading in lux. For instance if you took the fc reading, and converted it to lux, that may actually come out different (presumably less accurate) than had you measured in lux in the first place. Its probably not a material difference, however.
post #104 of 738 Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have 50% brightness of my earliest measurements with 1500 hours on the lamp after the cleaning. Measurements are done with i1LT, so they are not as accurate as the ones with light meter.

I used dry lens tissue, though, and I propably will try with wet cloth later to see if there is still more brightness to be found.
post #105 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Glad to hear it. This doesn't surprise me. My brightness went up 70% based on ftL and 75% based on lux. I think its more telling to measure the increased brightness and report on it based on lux rather than ffL. That way the affect of your screen is not factored into your change in brightness.

What were your measures in fc or lux? I assume because you reported in ftL that this was measured by calibration software off the screen rather than a light meter, in which case the results are still very real, assuming accurate measurements.

I'm a bit surprised there is not more chatter and hype about this. IMO it is very significant. 75% brightness from a simple 5 minute cleaning? Sign me up! Of course everyone's amount of increase will vary based on a number of factors. I have heard of some folks seeing no increase, others seeing 20% and some others receiving upward of 70%. Nice.

Hi,

false hope, sorry.

It's a good thing I wanted verify the recent result after and before cleaning.

In august 2009, it seems to me I measure my HD 1 at 96 lux (I use a meter, but it's an habit, I convert always in fL) and my first measure (not checked at all, were around 125 lux).

But, I verified this morning the figures , it was 103 lux in august 2009 and at this time, I have 106 lux. I think we are very close and the difference is not significant.

Bad news, IMHO for HD1 (RS1) owner and I'm sorry. If anyone can do the same thing to be sure.
post #106 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post

Hi,

false hope, sorry.

It's a good thing I wanted verify the recent result after and before cleaning.

In august 2009, it seems to me I measure my HD 1 at 96 lux (I use a meter, but it's an habit, I convert always in fL) and my first measure (not checked at all, were around 125 lux).

But, I verified this morning the figures , it was 103 lux in august 2009 and at this time, I have 106 lux. I think we are very close and the difference is not significant.

Bad news, IMHO for HD1 (RS1) owner and I'm sorry. If anyone can do the same thing to be sure.

I'll have to try cleaning mine but I thought there was already one RS1 owner who experienced significant increase after cleaning the lenses on the lamp and lens in front of it in the projector.
post #107 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 320
This bulb cleaning thing is intriguing. Is it hard to do? Are there instructions anywhere?

Thanks.
post #108 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

This bulb cleaning thing is intriguing. Is it hard to do? Are there instructions anywhere?

Thanks.

Not hard at all; l'dvd describes it very well. If you have changed a lamp, you've done the hardest part, i.e., getting the lamp unit out and back in. But this too is quite straight-forward, and there is a discussion in the manual about lamp replacement.
post #109 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl at some point. Although my lamp hours aren't very high at this point.
post #110 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
It works with other projectors too!!!
Today I've cleaned my Panasonic AE3000U (lamp and prism) with 510 hs on the lamp and I can tell that now it's definitively brighter to my eyes Maybe someone who has a light meter can confirm this.
post #111 of 738 Old 03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
rto
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

It works with other projectors too!!!
Today I've cleaned my Panasonic AE3000U (lamp and prism) with 510 hs on the lamp and I can tell that now it's definitively brighter to my eyes Maybe someone who has a light meter can confirm this.

I was hoping that someone with another brand would chime in....no reason to assume this issue would be exclusive to JVC models.
post #112 of 738 Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

This cleaning results is amazing. there must be some oxidation on the outside o f the bulb.

One question?

Has anyone tried relamping their bulbs?
post #113 of 738 Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
this cleaning results is amazing.

+ 1 !!!!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #114 of 738 Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Its not cleaning the lamp itself, its cleaning the glass (the prism) the lamp shines through. The lamp must be removed to provide the necessary access and obviuously when the glass is cleaned, the lamp must be reinserted.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #115 of 738 Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Its not cleaning the lamp itself, its cleaning the pane of glass the lamp shines through. The lamp must be removed to provide the necessary access and obviuously when the glass is cleaned, the lamp must be reinserted.

I thought they were cleaning the bulb itself
post #116 of 738 Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang46 View Post

I thought they were cleaning the bulb itself

Go back and read the procedure. Some clean the bulb also as long as it's out. But the main procedure is cleaning the prism.
post #117 of 738 Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM

500 hrs on rs10 , switched to high lamp mode , 50 hrs ago , cleaned lamp and prism...it works , you gain lumens !
post #118 of 738 Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sort of a rookie to this (2nd PJ) and performed the task a few nights ago. I was running my PJ on hi-lamp since I have the pj paired with a larger screen (126" Carada BW). Afterward I could definitely tell I gained lumen output. Very bright so I bumped it back down to normal mode. One thing I did notice was kind of smoke like film on the glass but it easily wiped off.

Well worth the time and effort to clean both. Thanks gents.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #119 of 738 Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
So....

If it's about cleaning the prisms, then would DLP be an advatage because it has a sealed light path (am I rememebring that right? Where it's somehow closed off and doesn't have dust problems that LCD has?)?
post #120 of 738 Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

So....

If it's about cleaning the prisms, then would DLP be an advatage because it has a sealed light path (am I rememebring that right? Where it's somehow closed off and doesn't have dust problems that LCD has?)?

DILA isn't LCD. LCD's dust problems aren't end-user cleanable. This isn't dust. This is a different technology and a different issue.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page