post #271 of 1994 Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDecleri View Post

Just finished watching all of the Planet Earth Blue Rays and the opening scene with the sun rays looked great to me. I may not be as critical as others but I have no issues with the iris. From reading posts on this forum on other projectors I was a bit concerned about this unit, especially with no formal reviews. My fears as of this point are unfounded.
That being said my unit developed a banding issue. Called Infocus customer support and they said no problem, they will ship me out another new unit and pay for the return shipping.

Joe

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1994 Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I just checked the projection calculator for the Infocus Sp8602 at Projector Central and I'd have to go for a slightly smaller screen size if I went for it. That's not too much of a problem as I'm about to make a new screen. I currently have a 97" wide scope screen and am intending to make a 97" wide 16:9 screen. With my max possible throw distance I could only manage a 92" wide 16:9 screen on the Infocus. I guess 5 inches isn't a huge amount to be concerned about but I suppose the fact that it will allow me a bigger screen is a plus point in the JVC's favour. The other issue of course is that according to Projector Central at that range (13-14ft) both projectors will be burning my eyes out! It tells me that the Infocus will be sending out 39ftl and the JVC 23ftl. I don't think the Infocus has a manual iris like the JVC. I suppose I could use an ND filter but it's hardly precise. So another plus in the JVC's favour.
post #273 of 1994 Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10
I too am waiting to replace a 7210 and the red flags
have me worried too! Just the fact that the five
year warranty really isn't shows how the "new"
InFocus is doing business, and now if the projector,
much delayed, has issues, well, that is not good!
Not that they did not have the additional time to
fix the bugs!
post #274 of 1994 Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I've just received an SP8602 here in the UK (one of the first here I think). I had an IN81 before and the sharpness is much better.

However, I too have experienced the problem with the remote control stopping working and the projector key pad not functioning (it makes a beep when it is pressed but no action occurs). This is frustrating because the unit cannot be turned off without switching off the mains and I'm not sure if that might damage it or shorten the bulb life.

I've emailed support (I think they are based in Singapore) so await to hear what they are going to do. I'm wondering if a firmware upgrade is going to be possible. (I hope so if these 3D rumours are true)

I agree with the other posters that the Motion Smoothing does not work well for films.

HL
post #275 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JargonGR View Post

Regarding CFI I have to say that till now the only machine that gets it right is the Sony VW85.. and from what I read the JVC 990 (950 as well?)

We have put at my dealer the Sony next to various projectors and even some with CFI (e.g. Optoma) and the Sony always has the best CFI and smoothest motion in general.

I currently own an IN83 and although I like Sony's CFI there are aspects of IN83 that I find much much better to let go.

As most my wish was that this new Infocus was an improved IN83 in blacks with motorized lenses and good motion. It seems that it has all those improvements but the jury is still out regarding motion judder and how they deal with it. Maybe they could update the firmware and improve on it further.

We'll see...

You are incorrect sir. Epson TW5500 is the only projector as of now (granted, I havent seen the new infocus so im eager to see how it performs) thats doing a great job at frame interpolation. It bests the Sonys and even more so the JVC 950
post #276 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterlegs View Post

Hi,

I've just received an SP8602 here in the UK (one of the first here I think). I had an IN81 before and the sharpness is much better.

HL

How's the overall image compared to the IN81? I had an IN81 for some time and have an IN82 now.

How are the blacks?
post #277 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 AM

Worried to hear people are having a few glitches, so expecting the worst a bit.

I've had no problems with the controls or picture so far.

Watched a full match last night and the projector is far better for sport than the IN83. Much better.

On the IN83 there was a bit of a stutter on player movement at least every 5-10 minutes or so, which I assumed was Sky HD related, but I saw no hint of this on the new InFocus. Plus there are no real issues when the camera tracks fast across grass. The IN83 struggled a bit with the small changes in colour and texture.

Generally I'm really delighted with it, just don't hoping I never experience my first issue!
post #278 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

The other factor to take into account is warranty. The refurb RS20s only come with 6 months but AFAIK the SP8602 comes with a huge 5 years! It'd be nice to have that security.

Not sure of the exact wording of the InFocus warranty, but as a UK customer I have to say their warranty has been pretty much bullet proof for me for previous units. No questions, no problems, no matter how small the issue might be and no hesitation to replace old with new, even after a year.

To be honest it is the best customer experience I've ever had by far and I imagine far, far different from the difficulty you'd have trying to get the likes of Sony to honor their warranty.

Also, I'd not jump to conclusions that anything has changed in terms of warranty with the new-look InFocus.

I've not experienced this and a poster further up this page seems to suggest they've offered a no-quibble replacement unit, which reflects the kind of service I've had in the past.

That said, I hope that this new unit doesn't require a swap-out as I'm really delighted with the performance.
post #279 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 AM

Hi Guys,
New to the Infocus thread, I am replacing a IN83 with the 8602 I will let you know my impression, I have not had time to read all the previous posts but hopefully I will not experience some of the issues that have been posted hear. We'll see...

Joe
post #280 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJD View Post

On the IN83 there was a bit of a stutter on player movement at least every 5-10 minutes or so, which I assumed was Sky HD related, but I saw no hint of this on the new InFocus. Plus there are no real issues when the camera tracks fast across grass. The IN83 struggled a bit with the small changes in colour and texture.

So I take it you use Frame Interpolation with your unit. Care to elaberate a little more on how that works with this one? Ie for 24p BR sources.
post #281 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis View Post

So I take it you use Frame Interpolation with your unit. Care to elaberate a little more on how that works with this one? Ie for 24p BR sources.

No problem. I mentioned it in an earlier post I think, but it isn't great on anything other than sport on the low setting. On film it causes some image noise (sort of digital static) now and again, but quite regularly, and that is distracting.

It does give the image a very 3D feel, which I know some like and some don't.

Personally I think it has a real wow factor and pop, but the image noise means just about everyone will turn it to off.

Strangely though on sport (at least the football I was viewing last night) there was no sign of this static effect, so I'll turn it on for matches.
post #282 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts on how well the auto iris works SaintJD?

I'm DLP at heart, but think that the present reliance of DLP machines on auto irises in order to get a half decent black level is a big problem. No auto iris system is perfect and it will always make it's presence known at some point. I have to admit that's what pushed me somewhat against my will to the JVCs, but I do miss the sharpness and pop of high ansi contrast DLP.
post #283 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbana View Post

How's the overall image compared to the IN81? I had an IN81 for some time and have an IN82 now. How are the blacks?

Much better. I had an IN80 (X10) and then an IN83. I'm told they aren't up there with the very best black performance projectors, but in comparison to previous InFocus products they are a big step forward.

Picture also much better all round although I think it is slightly less sharp than the IN83 on text and wider scenes. It more than makes up for this in other areas though and offers a much more complete, natural image, with no noticeable problems with banding in dark scenes.

By the way, just to clarify, I'm projecting a 120" image, so it is a decent size.
post #284 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

Any thoughts on how well the auto iris works SaintJD?

Based on limited viewing so far, but having seen a few scenes where it hops from light to dark quickly, I have to say I've not noticed it working or indeed heard it working, which has got to be a good sign. I need to spend a good few weeks with it before delivering an assured verdict, but happy with it so far.
post #285 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Based on limited viewing so far, but having seen a few scenes where it hops from light to dark quickly, I have to say I've not noticed it working or indeed heard it working, which has got to be a good sign. I need to spend a good few weeks with it before delivering an assured verdict, but happy with it so far.

Then I have to send in my unit because mine is very much audible.
post #286 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds good!
post #287 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

To be honest it is the best customer experience I've ever had by far and I imagine far, far different from the difficulty you'd have trying to get the likes of Sony to honor their warranty.

I totally agree, the support has been the best, I will buy InFocus again purely because of this. I experienced problems in the past with my IN81 but they were quick and helpful to address them. I'm confident they will resolve the glitch on the 8602.
post #288 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

..On film it causes some image noise (sort of digital static) now and again, but quite regularly, and that is distracting..

..the image noise means just about everyone will turn it to off..

Frame Interpolation is a major feature that people use to decide on purchasing a projector to begin with. A problem that makes Frame Interpolation unuasable is an issue that needs to be fixed. If I were you, I would not just settle with broken FI. You need to address it with Infocus as an issue with your projector that needs fixed right away.

EDIT: It's the end consumer that determines the norm. If you settle for such distracting noise with FI, this will contribute to setting the precedent for the norm for everyone else as well.
post #289 of 1994 Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Really looking forward to a comprehensive review, hope it happens by the end of this week ! ?
post #290 of 1994 Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt View Post

If I were you, I would not just settle with broken FI. You need to address it with Infocus as an issue with your projector that needs fixed right away.

EDIT: It's the end consumer that determines the norm. If you settle for such distracting noise with FI, this will contribute to setting the precedent for the norm for everyone else as well.

Just to check, we are talking about motion smoothing here? I see what you're saying, but many previous In Focus machines have a feature called Brilliant Colour that many people turn off because it has side effects on the picture. My machine also has noise reduction and sharpness features, but I don't use them because I don't like the effect it has on the overall picture.

Many people, including many professional reviewers, are suggesting FI is something that doesn't work perfectly except on a handful of models, so I see it very much as something I'm happy to accept doesn't work 100%.

In a previous post I actually mentioned CFI as an example of the annoying trend with manufacturers to include functions with nice brand names that simply do not work, so I'm with you on that, but if I sent every piece of technology back on this basis I'd have no entertainment devices in my house.

If there really is a problem with something don't worry, I have no problem sending it back. Just ask the shops who sold me Blu Ray players with very basic operational problems like random freezing, un-fixable lip sync issues, handshake problems etc.

In these instances, yes, I will demand replacements or refunds, but not for a problem I can happily turn off on an otherwise very impressive machine.

Just to qualify that a bit more, I returned a Panasonic BD60 Blu Ray that delivered, for the price, an exceptional image and good sound, but that couldn't play a full film without the odd random five second freeze.

That ruined my viewing experience and, for me, made all the other impressive features worthless.

So I tried a Sony Blu Ray that wouldn't handshake properly with my IN80, so again this went back and I emailed Sony, HDMI and In Focus to tell them about the problem.

Hey, my Sky HD isn't without its glitches and frustrations, (including having the basic design fault of only one HD output compared to about eight SD ones), but based on what I'm experiencing these days it is rare to find a totally faultless product.

It is frustrating, but you also have to take into account the fantastic leaps forward some of these technologies are bringing. When I went to see Avatar at the cinema recently I thought on a few occasions that I was looking forward to seeing it with greater sharpness and depth of color at home. That tells you something about how good these home projectors are.

So, yes, if someone is buying a projector simply to get faultless CFI implementation, I understand them sending it back.

For me, I'm more than happy to accept it as a nice to have. Motion handling with CFI off is perfectly satisfactory for me on this unit.
post #291 of 1994 Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 AM

By the way, one thing I definitely wouldn't be happy living with would be if the unit had a persistent problem shutting down properly.

Can any of the previous posters who experienced this let me know whether it has persisted or cleared up after one or two initial instances?

Not had it myself, but I did have similar on one or two occasions with the IN80 and IN83. But it only happened once or twice, then went away. This was always at start-up though – the unit started to fire up but the start-up screen didn't kick in. Then when I tried to do anything no buttons worked and I had to pull the plug. Is this the same problem you had with the new model?
post #292 of 1994 Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has tried a PS3 with the SP8602 via HDMI? A number of people had handshaking issues with Infocus INx projectors and the PS3. Just wondering if this (or other handshaking issues) still exist with the SP8602?

Regards,
Stephen
post #293 of 1994 Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:

By the way, one thing I definitely wouldn't be happy living with would be if the unit had a persistent problem shutting down properly.

Can any of the previous posters who experienced this let me know whether it has persisted or cleared up after one or two initial instances?

I've had my SP8602 for only a few days now but every time I use it the remote and keypad buttons work fine for say 30 minutes, then at some point after they stop functioning. The rest of the projector seems to work fine but I just can't control it! This means I can't turn it off properly.

I've also noticed a green stain in the image, this is only noticeable when viewing a white background, but it is irritating when browsing text heavy websites. InFocus are looking into the first problem but I am getting concerned because my earlier unit had the same problem with green staining. I'm wondering why I have been so unfortunate.
post #294 of 1994 Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, all of this reminds me of the early excitement of the Epson 6500UB stunted by its early issues. I sure hope Infocus irons out all of these things because I'm really interested in this projector. If it takes too long, I may start becoming interested in a JVC.
post #295 of 1994 Old 03-19-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:

I've had my SP8602 for only a few days now but every time I use it the remote and keypad buttons work fine for say 30 minutes, then at some point after they stop functioning. The rest of the projector seems to work fine but I just can't control it! This means I can't turn it off properly.

I've also noticed a green stain in the image, this is only noticeable when viewing a white background, but it is irritating when browsing text heavy websites. InFocus are looking into the first problem but I am getting concerned because my earlier unit had the same problem with green staining. I'm wondering why I have been so unfortunate.

That seriously sucks, sorry to hear that. The only thing stopping me getting full enjoyment from my projector so far is the fear it's about to develop a problem.

I really hope not because I watched HellBoy II on Sky HD last night and it was simply stunning - way better picture than I would have got on my IN80 or IN83. It's a very impressive machine.

Has that green stain and keypad issue been there from day one or only started happening after a few days?
post #296 of 1994 Old 03-19-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:

Has that green stain and keypad issue been there from day one or only started happening after a few days?

Yes the problems have been there from the start, though the green staining gets more apparent the more I use it (maybe in my mind ). I had exactly the same problem with my IN81, when the same thing happened on the 8602 first I thought maybe it was my screen but I've now ruled that out after trying a different surface.

Aside from these glitches it is a great projector, I'm hoping InFocus can fix these problems. In my experience the customer service at InFocus is amazing so I wouldn't worry too much about yours going wrong because I think they will fix any problems with minimal hassle to their customers (much better than other manufacturers I can think of)
post #297 of 1994 Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi there, i had a problem too with mine : noisy fan.
I confirm that the warranty is really good : they send me a new replacement unit in 2 days
Except that problem, i confirm that this projector has a really stunnig image with bd.
Comparing to my marquee 9000, the difference is really noticeable especialy on background which i have never seen with the marquee.
I rediscovered my hd films.
I test the unit with my ps3, there is no problem and the image is really good in hd but i prefer my htpc for the sd source, otherwise it is amazing to play GOW3 on this size !
Finaly i am glad to take this unit despite that there is no pro review for the moment, and i am reassured with the infocus warranty.
post #298 of 1994 Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:

In my experience the customer service at InFocus is amazing so I wouldn't worry too much about yours going wrong because I think they will fix any problems with minimal hassle to their customers (much better than other manufacturers I can think of)

Thanks. That's half the problem though - they've been so amazing in the past I'd be a bit embarrassed contacting them again! I had a minor issue with my IN80 involving handshake with Sony devices which, though annoying, I'd managed to work around. InFocus could have done what most manufacturers or shops would do - tell me to buy a £200 HDMI cable or blame the other manufacturer. But they were outstanding. Can't praise them enough.
post #299 of 1994 Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I dont think arts review is ever going to be up.
post #300 of 1994 Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
edit.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version