1Likes

post #451 of 1995 Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post

The brightness issue off-axis is counter-intuitive and I didn't full understand the explanation but do I have it correct that the pj is at its brightest when placed the maximum distance above (inverted) or below?

Yes, around 15% brighter at it's maximum offset above or below the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1995 Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

hurry! hurry! test! test! test! lol Please note if the DI performs any better in addition to the other problems mentioned.

Sorry, didn't get the time yesterday. But tonight I will most definitely get the time! Haven't tested the dynamic iris (which I presume you mean) before either, so I'm not sure what the problem is. But I will test it and see how it works after the update.
post #453 of 1995 Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBob View Post

Sorry, didn't get the time yesterday. But tonight I will most definitely get the time! Haven't tested the dynamic iris (which I presume you mean) before either, so I'm not sure what the problem is. But I will test it and see how it works after the update.

Damn it, I screwed up... Have a usb to rs232-converter, but it seems I need a null modem cable as well.. Have to buy one tomorrow and see if it works better...
post #454 of 1995 Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Damn it, I screwed up... Have a usb to rs232-converter, but it seems I need a null modem cable as well.. Have to buy one tomorrow and see if it works better...

So they still have to do downloads via RS232?
Manual shows a USB connector on the input panel. Can you do the firmware upgrade through that?
post #455 of 1995 Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM

You must do it with a nullmodemcable(RS232).
Usb does not work with this upgrade.
post #456 of 1995 Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

You must do it with a nullmodemcable(RS232).
Usb does not work with this upgrade.

Bummer! I've got the converter, but this seems a bit outdated. Few modern computers (laptops at any rate) have RS232, and I had to go through a couple of the converters before I found one that worked for me.
Would be nice if they recognized this reality and allowed upgrades through USB
post #457 of 1995 Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I don't recall a rs232 cable coming with the projector. Did anyones come with one?

Also can someone please post step by step instuctuons to install firmware?

Thanks
post #458 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Now there is a USB version out

Kudos to Infocus for taking very good care of their customers.
The service is superb and they are trying to solve the problems fast.

I have done the upgrade and everything worked just fine.
But after about 10 minutes when I was going to power the unit off,
The remote and buttons on the unit stop to respond...again
My problem remains.
post #459 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

So this is not fixed with the latest firmware. Does anyone know if the Infocus engineers are aware of the issue and plan to fix it?
post #460 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt View Post

So this is not fixed with the latest firmware. Does anyone know if the Infocus engineers are aware of the issue and plan to fix it?

exactly! complaining about it here is good because it make others aware of it, but if you don't tell InFocus as well it's of no real use because it won't get the problem resolved.
post #461 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now there is a USB version out

Kudos to Infocus for taking very good care of their customers.
The service is superb and they are trying to solve the problems fast.

I have done the upgrade and everything worked just fine.
But after about 10 minutes when I was going to power the unit off,
The remote and buttons on the unit stop to respond...again
My problem remains.

Glad they are supporting USB upgrades now.

Have they given you any response on your power issue? Any indication that it might be a problem on your unit?
post #462 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE Have they given you any response on your power issue? Any indication that it might be a problem on your unit?[/quote]

They said that this new firmware was going to fix the problem.
Now I have more problems than ever.
I believe that my unit is the problem.
I will contact them first thing tomorrow.
post #463 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

[QUOTE Have they given you any response on your power issue? Any indication that it might be a problem on your unit?

They said that this new firmware was going to fix the problem.
Now I have more problems than ever.
I believe that my unit is the problem.
I will contact them first thing tomorrow.[/quote]

Good luck - hope they get it straightened out - I'm about to order one, but was hoping for more and better news on the firmware update.

edit: Looks like the quote button isn't working quite right today
post #464 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Installed the upgrade today (the RS232 version). I still have tearing in top of the screen when playing full screen material in 24Hz... But the tearing seem to have moved up a bit, so I guess they did something. I will also contact InFocus tomorrow, this is really really frustrating. But as many of you have the same problem I can't see how it could be the hardware.
post #465 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

exactly! complaining about it here is good because it make others aware of it, but if you don't tell InFocus as well it's of no real use because it won't get the problem resolved.

This is my main reason for contacting Infocus, so yes they know.
It´s the only problem that is bothering me the most anyway, the rest I can live with.
They assured me that this problem would be fixed with the new firmware.
I have faith in Infocus and I think they will fix "my" problem soon.

p.s a couple of new things showed up with the upgrade, such as:
"force wide"
"using long/short hdmi cable"
etc
post #466 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Installed the upgrade today (the RS232 version). I still have tearing in top of the screen when playing full screen material in 24Hz... But the tearing seem to have moved up a bit, so I guess they did something. I will also contact InFocus tomorrow, this is really really frustrating. But as many of you have the same problem I can't see how it could be the hardware.

no kidding? Well, I really wish that they would have fixed the issue of the tearing. It is annoying and embarassing to show friends a crystal clear theater expirience with the top of the image tearing from the rest. I guess I'm not looking forward to this update as much as I thought.

What is this firmware update supposed to even fix?

C'mon infocus!!! Get it right!!
post #467 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Question if anybody can help - regarding mounts.

I'm thinking of using the InFocus wall attachment to hang the projector from the rear wall of the room. Does this work with any mount (universal for example), or is it strictly with the InFocus mount ? ($$$)

I previously placed my projector upside down (on isolators) on a shelf attached to the rear wall, but this model looks like I will need access to the top of the unit to make some adjustments.
post #468 of 1995 Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

I'm thinking of using the InFocus wall attachment to hang the projector from the rear wall of the room. Does this work with any mount (universal for example), or is it strictly with the InFocus mount ? ($$$)

I previously placed my projector upside down (on isolators) on a shelf attached to the rear wall, but this model looks like I will need access to the top of the unit to make some adjustments.

I'm not sure about other wall mounts. I have a wall mount from my previous projector and it sure didn't fit. The problem is that this unit is REALLY big and it is a wide gap between the screw holes in it. So if you're going to use another wall mount, make sure it says it can handle big projectors. Most mounts doesn't really say how big though.

And you're right, it doesn't really want to be put upside down, then you have to lift if whenever you want to adjust the lens. I have mine like that while trying to find a good mount. The only one I've found so far that can handle it is Chief KITPD003, but that's a ceiling mount...
post #469 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:

p.s a couple of new things showed up with the upgrade, such as:
"force wide"
"using long/short hdmi cable"
etc

Hi. This is interesting. Are you sure the force wide option wasn't there before? I'm in Ireland and my original unit has this option already without a firmware update, plus I've not experienced the turning off issue yet.

And what are you guys doing while the problem persists - are you just continuing to use the projector as normal? I'd like to think InFocus would agree to replace the lamp if people with this problem have to live with it for long.
post #470 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 AM

Out of interest, and back to the good things about the projector, I tested out standard def DVD content the other night with District 9 and Empire Strikes Back.

Once again, the improvement from the IN83 knocks me back.

While the IN83, particularly on the snow scenes in Empire, used to have a bit of a digital noise feel, the colors are now beautifully saturated and the detail that much better.

It will vary from title to title I guess, but the overall impression is that it won't stick in the throat as much to watch DVD content after experiencing Blu Ray quality - standard def image is now not as muddy, grainy or noisy as it was.

Also wanted the end sequence of Kill Bill on Blu Ray last night - a film I remember not being wowed by the transfer when I first viewed it on the IN83 - again a tiny bit of a digital feel.

That didn't cross my mind viewing it on the new projector - it looks absolutely fantastic - great depth, amazing detail and a very rich, very natural look.

As before, this is with the DI turned off and either at 70 or 80, which to be honest provides a quality of picture better than anything I've seen before at home or in the cinema, so I'm more than happy. I've not seen the competition though, but find it hard to believe you can get much better.

Fingers crossed I don't start having glitches. The turning off problem is the one that would really upset me and you can get round the others until a solution is found.
post #471 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 View Post

no kidding? Well, I really wish that they would have fixed the issue of the tearing. It is annoying and embarassing to show friends a crystal clear theater expirience with the top of the image tearing from the rest. I guess I'm not looking forward to this update as much as I thought!

Hi there. Just wondering. This problem obviously needs a fix and quickly, but in the meantime, I'd thought other users has suggested it was a problem only with 24p turned on (or is that not the case?). I'd say you'd lose less in the meantime by living with slightly worse judder than a horrible tearing effect.

I've not seen it yet, but I've only just started viewing with 24p on and not yet with a non-letterbox 16:9 image, so I'm guessing I'll be seeing it fairly soon.
post #472 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 AM

Hi there. Sorry for the rush of posts, been v busy of late.

Can someone advise me on what difference the color wheel speed makes?

Mine is still on the default of x4, but am I missing out on a better image at x6?
post #473 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJD View Post

Hi there. Just wondering. This problem obviously needs a fix and quickly, but in the meantime, I'd thought other users has suggested it was a problem only with 24p turned on (or is that not the case?). I'd say you'd lose less in the meantime by living with slightly worse judder than a horrible tearing effect.

I've not seen it yet, but I've only just started viewing with 24p on and not yet with a non-letterbox 16:9 image, so I'm guessing I'll be seeing it fairly soon.

Yes, you're right, I've only noticed it in 24Hz, so I could play everything in 60Hz if I wanted and live with some judder instead. For now I use some motion smoothing instead as this also reduce the problem. However it garbles subtitles (because the image is moving and the subtitles aren't) and my girl friend really wants them, so then that's pretty annoying instead. It's mostly TV series that uses 16:9 format with 24Hz, so if you're only watching movies, you probably haven't seen this problem at all... Oh well, I can live with it as long as I know it will get fixed soon...
post #474 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Infocus SP-WALL-ARM and SP-WALLARM-01 are made by Peerless Mounts . SP-WALLARM-01 appears to be universal using direct attachment, see link below.

The SP8602 (SP-CEIL-INSTALL) mount is made by Peerless. The projector adapter plate is specfic to Infocus, it attaches to a Peerless PRG-1 (Precision Gear Projector Mount) which has both holes for direct mounting and a standard 1 1/2" pipe thread. Using the SP-CEIL-INSTALL provides proper centering of the mount and balance of the projector.

Infocus mounts are usually made by Premier Mounts or Peerless Mounts. Except for the projector adapter plates the mounts and components are available from vendors selling Premier or Peerless. Check the manufactures web site for the model, color and options you want, then Google for the best price. Infocus part numbers are also availabe from other vendors on the web.

Below are Peerless links for the Infocus wall mounts.

SP-WALLARM-01
http://www.peerlessmounts.com/pcatta...5-9505-1-1.PDF

SP-WALL-ARM
http://www.peerlessmounts.com/pcatta...7-9506-1-3.PDF
post #475 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, you're right, I've only noticed it in 24Hz, so I could play everything in 60Hz if I wanted and live with some judder instead. For now I use some motion smoothing instead as this also reduce the problem. However it garbles subtitles (because the image is moving and the subtitles aren't) and my girl friend really wants them, so then that's pretty annoying instead. It's mostly TV series that uses 16:9 format with 24Hz, so if you're only watching movies, you probably haven't seen this problem at all... Oh well, I can live with it as long as I know it will get fixed soon...

It happens on movies as well
post #476 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Hello

The new firmware is posted on our site. I apologize but without three or more post it will not allow me to post the url. So I will have to lead you to the link -

Infocus.com, Support, Projectors, SP8602 and you will find the download and instructions.

Version A70 addresses:

Fixes/ Adjustments applied to Letterbox aspect ratio on HDMI sources.
Resolves issue with video tearing in 1080p 24f single images with SplitScreen turned off.
Resolves issue with green in 1080i test images. (AVS test disc issue.)
Image improvements in SplitScreen mode.
Adds a captioned test pattern of "Setting up SplitScreen" when enabling SplitScreen Mode for a smoother transition.
Motion Smoothing is set to OFF by default.
The DynamicBlack/Iris is set to 100% by default.
Added support for longer HDMI cabling; practical use is dependent on cable and source quality.

We are working on the next version which is addressing improvements in the iris. Thank you for your feedback and support. Your business is truly appreciated.

Ben
post #477 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome! I'm having some faith. I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

Quote:

My ceiling mount is the same. I plan to cut out a hole in the shelf for access to the buttons. Then it will be very easy.
post #478 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocus-ben View Post

hello

we are working on the next version which is addressing improvements in the iris. Thank you for your feedback and support. Your business is truly appreciated.

Ben

nice!
post #479 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus-Ben View Post

Hello

The new firmware is posted on our site. I apologize but without three or more post it will not allow me to post the url. So I will have to lead you to the link -

Infocus.com, Support, Projectors, SP8602 and you will find the download and instructions.

Version A70 addresses:

Fixes/ Adjustments applied to Letterbox aspect ratio on HDMI sources.
Resolves issue with video tearing in 1080p 24f single images with SplitScreen turned off.
Resolves issue with green in 1080i test images. (AVS test disc issue.)
Image improvements in SplitScreen mode.
Adds a captioned test pattern of "Setting up SplitScreen" when enabling SplitScreen Mode for a smoother transition.
Motion Smoothing is set to OFF by default.
The DynamicBlack/Iris is set to 100% by default.
Added support for longer HDMI cabling; practical use is dependent on cable and source quality.

We are working on the next version which is addressing improvements in the iris. Thank you for your feedback and support. Your business is truly appreciated.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I think the most worrying issue posters here have mentioned is the problem with the remote and on-board controls locking up. Can you confirm if this is being looked into or whether is it likely to be a hardware problem? Overall a brilliant projector, so thanks for your efforts to iron out these issues.
post #480 of 1995 Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ben,

Thanks for the firmware info. Can this be installed via USB, or is rs232 required?

Also, I see it NOT compatible with windows vista or 7, why is that? That is pretty much the standard these days, and xp and windows 2000 wont be around for much longer.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page