Official InFocus Sp8602 owners thread. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well having a box fan blowing on the unit didn't make any difference in fact when i came back into the room from getting a cup of coffee the entire screen was all some weird artifact pattern with no picture at all. Usualy when it locks up it will continue to play the movie it just doesn't respond to the remote or buttons on the unit or let me show the steup menu from the BR or dvd player. If i disconect the player while it's locked up the clip of the movie stays stuck on the screen till the PJ is shut down. If i have a menu from the player on the screen when it locks up the movie will play in the background really dark, but just visible with the colors totaly saturated looking.

I think i will get this unit replaced, maybe we should start keeping tract of serial #s of the bad units. It could just be a bad batch who knows. Where are the units made, wait let me guess China, Taiwan? am i getting warm yet?
Well anyways i hope they figure it out because when the unit isnt locked up i really like the pic it throws up on the screen.
Ok done venting have a great weekend Gents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthlander View Post

Well having a box fan blowing on the unit didn't make any difference in fact when i came back into the room from getting a cup of coffee the entire screen was all some weird artifact pattern with no picture at all. Usualy when it locks up it will continue to play the movie it just doesn't respond to the remote or buttons on the unit or let me show the steup menu from the BR or dvd player. If i disconect the player while it's locked up the clip of the movie stays stuck on the screen till the PJ is shut down. If i have a menu from the player on the screen when it locks up the movie will play in the background really dark, but just visible with the colors totaly saturated looking.

I had exactly the same problems with mine before I sent it back.
Just not good enough to explain it in english
post #543 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 AM

Well i hope your replacement unit works trouble free.
post #544 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Despite the complaints here about how long it took Infocus to get this machine to market and all the lame excuses many people offered for why it took so long, it is obvious that the introduction of this machine was somewhat premature. Beta testing or better beta testing should have been conducted.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #545 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarquee View Post

Well, I am down for the count!

Besides putting up with a projector that locks up whenever
it feels it can, I was watching a movie and the projector
cut out (the bulb went off) and the warning "wrench" light
went on. I only could get rid of the warning light by
flipping the circuit breaker (something I have been doing
a great deal recently with the lock up problem).
When I powered back up, the projector and bulb worked,
I watched the movie for another ten minutes, and the
bulb automatically cut out again.

A replacement is on the way. Has anyone else experienced
this latest and greatest problem?

What could go wrong next?????

Looks like you got my 1st projector which I returned for that reason as well as tearing on the top of the screen.
I'm on my second which still has tearing on the top of the screen for 24hz material.
Also have issues with delayed sync up of HDMI where I get this bright blue screen for maybe 5+ sec before sync.
Also have artifacts when using Motion Smoothing on 60hz material. So I just leave it off..
As someone else mentioned it would also be nice to be able to tone down the color saturation at times (brilliant color?) .
I guess I should be thankful it don't have the lockup problem. Sorry for the rant.

Joe
post #546 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Hi Joe

Which firmware version are you using ?
Thanks Ken
post #547 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 08:42 AM

I would like INFOCUS-BEN (who has been quiet as of late) go to
bat for all of us with the InFocus "phone" people to make sure
engineers are aware the lock up problem occurs in almost every
SP8602 user on these forums, that it occurs if the projector is
ceiling mounted or not, that component video does not make
a difference, and I am getting a new HDMI cable today to
see if that makes any difference.

One in thousand and the statement there is no problem
is very troubling to me. How can InFocus be aware of
all the other concerns (video tearing) but NOT the most
significant one of all?

And no one has yet addressed my current new problem with
the bulb suddenly powering down without reason, and the
"wrench" warning light appearing. Perhaps this is a isolated
problem (for once) and my replacement projector should be
installed either today or Monday.

Then we will see if the replacement projector is one in a
thousand! Lots of "ones" around these forums.
post #548 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Then we will see if the replacement projector is one in a
thousand! Lots of "ones" around these forums.

i 'was' going to pull the trigger on one of these.. but i think i'll wait a bit to see if the problem (s) get solved...

as to the '1 in a 1000'... i'll bet they have not even sold 1000 worldwide yet....
post #549 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was thinking something like that myself but surely sales at this point would be less than several thousand. At this point, I would hold off a bit to avoid unnecessary suffering. I am sure that they will fix what they can. But given the available competition I just don`t see what makes this thing special.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #550 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 02:10 PM

I see that many owners have problems with the first units.
I want to tell you that i have no problem since i received my replacement unit.
The upgrade has been done in few minutes and all is perfect.
I really think that you may compare the serial numbers, because it seems that the first product line is faulty.
post #551 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I was thinking something like that myself but surely sales at this point would be less than several thousand. At this point, I would hold off a bit to avoid unnecessary suffering. I am sure that they will fix what they can. But given th eavailable competition I just don`t see what makes this thing special.

Mark Haflich - I respect your opinions on the forum, so out of curiosity, what would you say is better in the <5k$ FP market?

I know that different technologies have advantages/disadvantages, and for those of us looking into a moderately priced DLP (who feel the advantages of DLP better suit their preferences), what front projector would be comparable or better in this price range?
post #552 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about the Runco LS3?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #553 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Ok, now I have tested my new unit for several hours.
All is woking so far. One thing I noticed was that the firmware in this unit was A68.
Strange, I have only seen A65 and the new A70 around at Infocus site.

Anyway, I am happy so far, and hope that the lock up problem is gone.
Tonight I really enjoyed watching movies and playing games (ps3) without pulling my hair
post #554 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthlander View Post

Hi Joe

Which firmware version are you using ?
Thanks Ken

Ken,
Both units had A65. My 1st unit was one from the 1st production run. I'm going to hold off a bit before I attempt the Vista firmware upgrade thing until a few more folks report their success or failure.

Joe
post #555 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Based upon Runco's specs and recommendations, the LS-3 is no light canon by any stretch, and max screen size is 120 inches (right at my current screen size) and has rather severe looking placement limitations (I have a cathedral ceiling in the room I currently use .)

I have viewed Runco's in the past (not the current generation) and love their products. It looks to me that the LS-5 (Planar 8150) is a step up from the 8206, but at a higher price, while the LS-3 just doesn't meet my needs. I am always tempted to look for a used 8150, but I'm one of those people who likes new electronics, as I believe it has a greater liklihood of lasting longer. I could be wrong in any given instance, but have a better chance new.

I like the sharpness and "pop" (for lack of a better word) of a good DLP. I can't justify spending big bucks on an FP that is clearly better (RS-35), so I think this is a very good compromise, -IF- InFocus can show that they will get the bugs worked out.
post #556 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Based upon Runco's specs and recommendations, the LS-3 is no light canon by any stretch, and max screen size is 120 inches (right at my current screen size) and has rather severe looking placement limitations (I have a cathedral ceiling in the room I currently use .)

I have viewed Runco's in the past (not the current generation) and love their products. It looks to me that the LS-5 (Planar 8150) is a step up from the 8206, but at a higher price, while the LS-3 just doesn't meet my needs. I am always tempted to look for a used 8150, but I'm one of those people who likes new electronics, as I believe it has a greater liklihood of lasting longer. I could be wrong in any given instance, but have a better chance new.

I like the sharpness and "pop" (for lack of a better word) of a good DLP. I can't justify spending big bucks on an FP that is clearly better (RS-35), so I think this is a very good compromise, -IF- InFocus can show that they will get the bugs worked out.

I really find it hard to believe that infocus will not get the bugs worked out. The tearing issue has been fixed, they are currently working on another update that will hopefully improve the DI, and knowing infocus and dealing with their customer service, I really think that there will be a fix for the lock up issue soon.

The JVC being a better projector is an opinion. Facts of the matter is, its all in what YOU like. JVC uses a different technology and are the champions of black level performance in the under $10K category. Thats pretty much what the JVC has over the competitors...thats it, and thats why they can ask $8000 for a projector with a less sharp image, less pop, and as I just said, nearly double the price tag of projectors that are just as good or better in every category except blacks. Give the SP8602 a chance, InFocus will work it out.
post #557 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Have you checked out an Optoma 8600?
post #558 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 View Post

I really find it hard to believe that infocus will not get the bugs worked out. The tearing issue has been fixed, they are currently working on another update that will hopefully improve the DI, and knowing infocus and dealing with their customer service, I really think that there will be a fix for the lock up issue soon.

The JVC being a better projector is an opinion. Facts of the matter is, its all in what YOU like. JVC uses a different technology and are the champions of black level performance in the under $10K category. Thats pretty much what the JVC has over the competitors...thats it, and thats why they can ask $8000 for a projector with a less sharp image, less pop, and as I just said, nearly double the price tag of projectors that are just as good or better in every category except blacks. Give the SP8602 a chance, InFocus will work it out.

Such is my intent - working with Jason @ AVS

- just hoping to get better answers before I "pull the trigger".

I happen to believe, based on what I have read and seen, that, for the $$$, the InFocus is the way to go.
post #559 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Such is my intent - working with Jason @ AVS

- just hoping to get better answers before I "pull the trigger".

I happen to believe, based on what I have read and seen, that, for the $$$, the InFocus is the way to go.

I agree 100%. JVC is recognized as better for 2, maybe 3 reasons, and these are my opinions.

1.) Because it costs more. I know that sounds dumb, but alot of people these days fully believe that because something cost more, that its better. While in some instances this is the case, not in this one. This is simply a case of 2 different technologies AND an offering of ONE thing that the other cannot recreate, which leads me to my next point

2.) It has better blacks

3.) Hand picked parts (only applicable the the RS35).

So I give you kudos my friend for waiting to pull the trigger on something that you like while they work out the bugs, and not pulling the trigger on something that is recognized as "the best" simply because it has the best blacks and a heftier price tag. And before someone says it, I am not bashing the JVC. It is an awsome projector, but lets face it, we are pretty much all on this thread because we enjoy watching the sharpness, and pop of DLP compared to the less sharp, more natural looking JVC.
post #560 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I have had in my own HT for considerable periods both the Planar 8150 and the RS35. I myself prefer DLP machines to DILA and the like primarily because of the greater sharpness. The DLP machine I presently use is much higher in price than either of these and the difference is primarily due to the better and much more expensive lens it uses. It does use a .95 DC4 chip too. That said, the RS35 is one fine machine as is the Planar 8150 now the LS5. The LS5 lists for about $7K if I remember correctly and like evey other projector out there big discounts are available.

I am not trying to pick on the Infocus. But it does seem to me at present it has its share of problems which I suspect Infocus will solve. There are things in the design I don`t like such as the range of the lens shift and the maner in which it is optically implemented. I would be much more impressed if the machine use a .95 chip too. Using a smaller chip is a pure economic move to lower costs. $5K MSRP and below machines really of necessity have to make significant performance compromises that say machines in the $7k MSRP range do not have to make. I`d save my pennies, shell out say a grand and one half more and be truly happy. That`s just me.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #561 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Have you checked out an Optoma 8600?

MSRP - +$2500-3000 (lens choice) over the 8602
post #562 of 1997 Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Well I have had in my own HT for considerable periods both the Planar 8150 and the RS35. I myself prefer DLP machines to DILAand the like primarily because of the greater sharpness. The DLP machine I presently use is much higher in price than either of these and the difference is primarily due to the better and much moreexpensive lens it uses. It does use a .95 DC4 chip too. That said, the RS35 is one fine machine as is the Planar 8150 now the LS5. The LS5 lists for about $7K if I remember correctly and like evey other projector out there big discounts are available.

I am not trying to pick on the Infocus. But it does seem to me at present it has its share of problems which I suspect Infocus will solve. There are things in the design I don`t like such as the range of the lens shift and the maner in which it is optically implemented. I would be much more impressed if the machine use a .95 chip too. Using a smaller chip is a pure economic move to lower costs. $5K MSRP andbelow machines really of necessity have to make significant performance compromises that say machines in the $7k MSRP range do not have to make. I`d save my pennies, shell out say a grand and one half more and be truly happy. That`s just me.

Yeah, I hear you - would love to spend more, but I've pretty firmly decided on a budget. There's always something bigger/better (read: more expensive), newer technology,etc.

I also believe in diminishing returns. I've learned this over time, mainly from the audio side. Yes, I can hear the difference, but I'm still not gonna spend $100k on speakers (insert drooling emoticon here).

I would LOVE for a DLP based on the .95 chip with an outstanding lens matched carefully to it for about $5k without some of the other features (DI, FI), but I'm not the mainstream target. I watch DVD's/Blu ray EXCLUSIVELY on my HT, so features that benefit sports/gaming/TV are of no consequence. They might be an issue in the future, but I'll probably be ready for a new FP by then anyway.
post #563 of 1997 Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:

I would LOVE for a DLP based on the .95 chip with an outstanding lens matched carefully to it for about $5k without some of the other features (DI, FI)

sounds like the IN83 ? what we need now is the IN84 the 83 with better black levels.

I see Art got the 4th annual home projector comparison report up, the sp8602 finished right where i thought it would in a tie with the jvc rs25.
post #564 of 1997 Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Liked: 12
What ever happened with the FW-upgradable 3D rumor?
post #565 of 1997 Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

What ever happened with the FW-upgradable 3D rumor?

Hi,

Based on Ben's remarks in posting #519 I'd say that he definately confirmed that we are dealing with a rumor.

Larry
post #566 of 1997 Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM

The engineers unit locked up 2 months ago and they couldn't finish it

sry i couldn't resist bad ken bad ken
post #567 of 1997 Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Had my replacement projector up and
running for over a day now, and so far
it is operating perfectly. No lock ups
or video tearing. No lamp powering
down on its own. KNOCK ON WOOD!

The picture is fantastic and superior
in so many ways to my former
projector, the 7210, which I loved right
up until the end.

For the price range, I don't think there's
anything better to be had to fill a 120 inch
screen.
post #568 of 1997 Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Had my replacement projector up and
running for over a day now, and so far
it is operating perfectly. No lock ups
or video tearing. No lamp powering
down on its own. KNOCK ON WOOD!

Nice to hear mmarquee.
I have also had my replacement unit working perfectley over the weekend
post #569 of 1997 Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM

Are you guys running the latest firmware 7.0 on your replacement units and which version did the replacements come with ? I'm going to request a replacement today
Thanks Ken
post #570 of 1997 Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like the general consensus is that, with upcoming technologies like LED, it makes sense to pay a bit more for some of these improvements, but not upwards of the cost of the Planar PD8150. One thing I also watch for is cost of replacement lamps. Lamps for the JVC's cost big $$$, but lamps for the SP8602 can be found for $155 shipped. Not sure about lamp costs for the Optoma 8600 or the Planar PD8150. The bottom line is that with upcoming LED tech, people are less able to justify buying the premium current tech, and the SP8602 seems to make a lot more sense than others right now.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page