AVS Forum banner

Official InFocus Sp8602 owners thread.

254K views 2K replies 160 participants last post by  graf-d 
#1 ·
Here are some screenshots I took earlier today. Please note that my camera is just a Sony DSC-H50. While a nice camera, it is not a DSLR, AND I have never really took pictures of my screen before so I am not very up to par on the proper technique to make the picture represent exactly what is being displayed on the screen. With that said, these are not 100% accurate and I will note the major flaws that the camera shows compared to the actual image on the screen.

My first impressions after having time to actually get the image set up properly (horizonatal and vertical lens shift took a while to fine tune) and to watch different scenes from different movies, I would have to say that I am very impressed with this projector. I have only ever viewed the IN83 and the old SP7205, and comparatively, the SP8602 is superior, mainly in the black levels. I think the dynamic iris really helped. I curently have it set to auto.

Also, all colors you are seeing in the images below are out of the box color. I have not touched any setting on the projector other than the horizontal and vertical lens shift. I did turn the motion capture (i think thats what it is called) to off because otherwise it looks like you are watching a soap opera all the time, not really a movie. I ordered the Spears and Munsil bluray calibration disc and will post more pics afterwards. I really wanted to get some skin tone images but my camera battery died, so that will have to wait till later tonight.

Any questions feel free to ask.

On this image here (taken from the Dark Knight) the lights on the building appear to be a bluish green color. They actually show up as white/flourescent in the image from the projector. I can adjust my shutter speed so much, and obviously its not enough. But the blacks are pretty true in this picture.

This pic of the projector itself was taken by an iphone

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignickfly /forum/post/18120700

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your new purchase.

Please are you able to check the manual and see if it supports 1920 x 1080 @24, 50 and 60hz via VGA (RGB) as the older IN83 did

Thanks

The manual doesn't specify. I would go to infocus.com and look at the sp8602 specifications page

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/18123315

The intention was to post a full review back when this was supposed to ship (the first time). Apparently though that isn't a priority since I haven't even gotten confirmation of my shipment yet and others have already gotten theirs.

If you ever get one a review is still welcomed.

#30 ·

Quote:

The intention was to post a full review back when this was supposed to ship (the first time). Apparently though that isn't a priority since I haven't even gotten confirmation of my shipment yet and others have already gotten theirs.

Jason:

It is my understanding that the first wave of units was extremely small. I had two units on order, received one that I sent to my son (luelf21).

The impression I received was the second wave would be larger, would be sometime mid February (perhaps next week), and would come next day air (as our first unit did).

The first unit came with no advance warning, it just "showed up". I would guess the next units will just "show up" as well, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I am looking forward to receiving my unit. I sold my IN82 unit over a month ago, and have been remodeling my theater during the wait. Putting the finishing touches on the room tomorrow, and hoping my info about mid February is correct.

Alan

#31 ·

Quote:

Well, that's it for me, I'm bailing on the purchase of an SP8602. Won't buy one without the type of in depth review that someone of Jason's caliber would provide, and I'm sick of waiting. Missed the Superbowl, and not willing to miss anything more. Have been an Infocus guy for a good many years, and wanted to give this pj a shot. But then again, Infocus is really no longer Infocus. Have a line on an excellent price on a JVC RS35, and I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htomei22 /forum/post/18126968

Well, that's it for me, I'm bailing on the purchase of an SP8602. Won't buy one without the type of in depth review that someone of Jason's caliber would provide, and I'm sick of waiting. Missed the Superbowl, and not willing to miss anything more. Have been an Infocus guy for a good many years, and wanted to give this pj a shot. But then again, Infocus is really no longer Infocus. Have a line on an excellent price on a JVC RS35, and I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

I hear ya! Congrats on the RS35!!!!!

(Let us know how you think it compares to your other PJ's - I'm mainly concerned with sharpness. I always hear "filmlike" on the JVC's, and for whatever reason, my little brain translates that to "soft")

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider /forum/post/18127233

I hear ya! Congrats on the RS35!!!!!

(Let us know how you think it compares to your other PJ's - I'm mainly concerned with sharpness. I always hear "filmlike" on the JVC's, and for whatever reason, my little brain translates that to "soft")

Picked it up this morning, and will install it today with the expert help of glenned. All I can say for now is that, good heavens, it's a gorgeous piece of gear! Sure does make my SP7210 look cheap. Should be able to post my thoughts on sharpness, color accuracy and brightness (my 10' wide screen needs a real light cannon, which was one of the strong points of my 7210) by this evening.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htomei22 /forum/post/18128710

Picked it up this morning, and will install it today with the expert help of glenned. All I can say for now is that, good heavens, it's a gorgeous piece of gear! Sure does make my SP7210 look cheap. Should be able to post my thoughts on sharpness, color accuracy and brightness (my 10' wide screen needs a real light cannon, which was one of the strong points of my 7210) by this evening.

Start a new thread so we can find you easily. Congrats.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider /forum/post/18127233

...(Let us know how you think it compares to your other PJ's - I'm mainly concerned with sharpness. I always hear "filmlike" on the JVC's, and for whatever reason, my little brain translates that to "soft")

It's installed and calibrated, thanks to the patience and skill of glenned. While I won't bog down an Infocus thread with details on a JVC pj, I'll just say that I'm blown away by the image that the RS35 projects. It is razor sharp, surprisingly bright (glenned measured the output at 14 FL), skin tones are amazing, and it produces the most three dimensional image I've ever seen. I can't believe that there's anything better than this pj at the price...

#37 ·
As a new owner of th SP8602 I would like to impart my impressions to those who have been following the release of this unit. I have about 5 hrs on it now. I knew this thing was big but its still a shock when you first take it out of the box, especially when its on the ceiling!

It is installed on a white ceiling 14' from a 100" diag mat white screen. Feed from a blue ray player with 30' HDMI cable.

Previously had a Sharp M20X DLP and for all its faults the most annoying was that it was loud so that was a big concern for this unit. Well when I first turned it on the fan kicks into high and I was somewhat dismayed at the sound level. However after a few seconds it fall back to a low setting which is much more acceptable. One can still hear it from the seating position but its low a low pitch and not distracting.

On low power its plenty bright with very good black level compared to my Sharp projector. I have the dynamic iris engaged and find it operates seamlessly with no noise. I calibrated it by eye using DVE and found the adjustments well behaved. The colors appeared somewhat oversaturated so I reduced the RGB gains. Otherwise the colors and skin tones look very good at least to my untrained eye. Without going into a service menu you can adjust individual bias and gain for R,G,B.

There is a glow ring around the front of the lens that can be disabled through the menu. Light uniformity is good across the screen and its vey sharp edge to edge. Individual DMD mirrors are clearly visible upon close inspection. Idid have some CA on the bottom right corner but I am using the maximum offset so this may have contributed to it. You can adjust the color wheel from 4X to 6x or have it adjust to 6x automatically for video sources.

Overall I'm a happy camper.

Joe

#39 ·
Raising the color wheel speed especially to 6 should produce a higher pitch whine from the machine which may be bothersome. It was on a Marantz I once owned.big difference in sound between 5x and 6x. The advantage in going higher is reducing the probabilty of seeing rainbows. If you don`t see rainbows, set it to 4x or 5x. Of course if the sound doesn`t bother you, you can go to 6x. that is it. The whine is not associated with fan noise. It is on top of it as the frequency of the whine due to the rapid spinning of the wheel is much higher.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 /forum/post/18146211

The color should be better with 4X color wheel speed?

Should be more time for every segment of color wheel , or not?

The speed of the color wheel affects only our ability to see color separation artifacts. It has no effect on color accuracy. The design of the filters on the wheel would do that.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDecleri /forum/post/18145263

As a new owner of th SP8602 I would like to impart my impressions to those who have been following the release of this unit. I have about 5 hrs on it now. I knew this thing was big but its still a shock when you first take it out of the box, especially when its on the ceiling!

It is installed on a white ceiling 14' from a 100" diag mat white screen. Feed from a blue ray player with 30' HDMI cable.

Previously had a Sharp M20X DLP and for all its faults the most annoying was that it was loud so that was a big concern for this unit. Well when I first turned it on the fan kicks into high and I was somewhat dismayed at the sound level. However after a few seconds it fall back to a low setting which is much more acceptable. One can still hear it from the seating position but its low a low pitch and not distracting.

On low power its plenty bright with very good black level compared to my Sharp projector. I have the dynamic iris engaged and find it operates seamlessly with no noise. I calibrated it by eye using DVE and found the adjustments well behaved. The colors appeared somewhat oversaturated so I reduced the RGB gains. Otherwise the colors and skin tones look very good at least to my untrained eye. Without going into a service menu you can adjust individual bias and gain for R,G,B.

There is a glow ring around the front of the lens that can be disabled through the menu. Light uniformity is good across the screen and its vey sharp edge to edge. Individual DMD mirrors are clearly visible upon close inspection. Idid have some CA on the bottom right corner but I am using the maximum offset so this may have contributed to it. You can adjust the color wheel from 4X to 6x or have it adjust to 6x automatically for video sources.

Overall I'm a happy camper.

Joe

Glad to see other people are starting to get their units!

I am new to projectors (only ever watched them, never owned one) until now. I was wondering a few things that maybe you could help me out with.

Where do you change the power level at? I think I am just missing it in the menu, but I havent yet been able to find it.

Also, I just tried to calibrate mine with the Spears and Munsil disc (bluray) and I was having a hell of a time with it. I think it was because the bluray player was overr riding the settings of the projector. I say this because when I tried to change the constrast and brightness, it would change but it wouldnt really change a with a whole lot of effect. But when I used the blue ray video settings to change the white and black levels, I was able to yield the results I needed for a proper cal, and all settings on the projector remained at default. Does yours do this as well, or is it probably a setting on my bluray player?

Lastly, where are you finding the color wheel speed setting?

thanks

#46 ·
luelf21

Lamp power level and Color Wheel Refresh is in the set up menu (gear icon). There is a down arrow at the bottom of that menu to allow you to scroll down to additional items. You might have not have seen this. Look for Lamp High Power and 5 items below is the color wheel speed adjustment.

Some menu items may be grayed out depending if you are sourcing via HDMI or component.

I have not used the Spears and Munsil disc so I cannot comment on any peculiarities. Using Digital Video Essentials (BlueRay) I foud that brightness and contrast needed only minor adjustments.

Good Luck.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.