Official InFocus Sp8602 owners thread. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 1997 Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I discovered that the white dot swarming problem was actually caused by a default setting on the new 75 firmware update.

This MAY also help people who have experienced handshaking problems since the update.

There is a new menu item in the Service menu called HDMI Long, which seems to be set to YES by default.

When I turned this off the white specs disappeared completely.

I also found that handshake improved as well and that generally the image seems a bit better.

I'm very surprised that this setting makes such a massive difference and am surprised the new additions to the menu in the firmware update aren't explained somewhere in a mini guide with the upgrade (unless I missed it).

I very nearly swapped the unit out unnecessarily.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1997 Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As a follow up, I re-calibrated my PJ (first one since the update), and the white compression/washout issue is no longer there.

I watched half of "2012" and damn it looks good. Now that I'm watching movies in "native" everything is super sharp and very dimensional. Lot's of contrast and did not notice the DI once.
post #813 of 1997 Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM

First of all, could you share some of your
new settings that eliminated the crushed
white problem, something I still experience
at times?

Also, I love this projector and would
definitely buy the same projector again.
I upgraded from an InFocus 7210 and
I am loving what I see.
post #814 of 1997 Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarquee View Post

First of all, could you share some of your
new settings that eliminated the crushed
white problem, something I still experience
at times?

Also, I love this projector and would
definitely buy the same projector again.
I upgraded from an InFocus 7210 and
I am loving what I see.

you just have to use a calibration disc and reset your contrast with the DI off. Once that's set you turn the DI back on. Contrast and brightness varies on screen material and size, source, etc., but gamma is video, temperature is warm (The people who are using "warmest" must love red push, you can clearly see it if you look at a greyscale test pattern), DI is auto, aspect ratio is native.
post #815 of 1997 Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 PM

Im now a owner of the infocus. After looking 3 films i think the overall picture quality is fantastic. The only bad thing is that the iris DONT work good. I can see it every ca. 10 seconds. It is horrible. I have it now in position 80. Now the picture looks really good but the black level is ok.With iris auto it was good. I hope infocus make a new firmware with the iris works better. I have the firmware A72.
I miss the good iris of the Epson 8500. :-(
post #816 of 1997 Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatterwatz View Post

Im now a owner of the infocus. After looking 3 films i think the overall picture quality is fantastic. The only bad thing is that the iris DONT work good. I can see it every ca. 10 seconds. It is horrible. I have it now in position 80. Now the picture looks really good but the black level is ok.With iris auto it was good. I hope infocus make a new firmware with the iris works better. I have the firmware A72.
I miss the good iris of the Epson 8500. :-(

Can you double check that you really have A72. Someone said before they had the latest firmware when they really didn't. Go to the projector info (or something like that) tab in the menu. Also when you set the black level, did you do it with the iris off or on? You should do it with the iris off. After it is set then you turn it back on. It's still not perfect but not as bad what you're describing. Your description sounds like what I experienced when I first got the PJ.
post #817 of 1997 Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM

On the projector Info are A72.
Having no other problems with the Projector. I have the original settings. 50/50.
When i turn the auto iris on. It looks like the picture is one Moment brighter then in another moment. It is different from movie to movie. Sometimes every 5 seconds. Sometimes 1 minute.
The rest is fantastic and i want the projector stay here.
I cant tolerate the actual iris function. So i must turn it off and take the manuall Iris Funktion. The Projector came with this firmware installed.
On your prector you dont the difference in brigthness when the auto iris is on?
This means i have a defect projektor or eyes?

Sorry for may bad english.
post #818 of 1997 Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Since the A72 firmware update i hardly ever notice the iris action unless i'm really looking for it. At first i ran a calibration but now i have turned down the brightness untill the black bar is as dark as it's going to get then go back up 2 then set the contrast till it brings the whites back up a little that why i get the darkest blacks the pj can do and a great looking picture. That puts me at 44 brightness and 48 contrast but i'm only at 14ft on a 106" cine gray screen. Each setup will be different and each pj will vary a little bit of course, but thats what works best for me in my setup.
post #819 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 AM

So you turn the autoiris on?And you notice it? Perhaps Infocus bring a new update for the iris or is this the limit what it can do?After calibration with a normal test disc I have contrast on 50 and brightness 48.
post #820 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 AM

Yes, i hardly ever notice it but i do notice it, rarely. I'm to the point i just sit back and enjoy the movie. I don't sit there looking for every little problem like i did when i first bought it, because nearly all the issues i had were addressed in the firmware updates. The only issue i still have with the SP8602, and hope to see a update for, is with the sync time, with it set on native resolution it's better, only having to sync up once.

Ken
post #821 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having no other problems with the Projector. I have the original settings. 50/50.
When i turn the auto iris on. It looks like the picture is one Moment brighter then in another moment. It is different from movie to movie. Sometimes every 5 seconds. Sometimes 1 minute.
I cant tolerate the actual iris function. So i must turn it off and take the manuall Iris Funktion. The Projector came with this firmware installed.

I watched some more material last night just to confirm that I rarely notice the dynamic iris now. There's never any pumping, and the only time I ever really notice it is when there's is pitch black then a full ramp up of light, but even then it's not all the time. I will say the thing that makes the iris most noticeable is the noisy mechanism! It cues your brain in to notice it when you hear the iris moving. When I have the air conditioner on, I can't hear the DI, and rarely notice it and when I do it hasn't been overly objectionable. Keep in mind I have about 200 hours on mine, so the black level is lower, and maybe the DI is broken in as well?

No need to apologize, I understood you fine.
post #822 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:

My auto iris is rubbish too, but I'm happy with it switched off, so not a problem.

If anything it's worse for me after the 75 update - I tried it the other day and it was going up and down constantly during one scene even with minimal changes in light.

Either way, I find the slight noise it makes distracting and the difference in picture quality is too small to make it worth having on anyway.
post #823 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
since this is an infocus thread, maybe someone can answer the following ref. the 7210...

had the 7210 for now i guess 4 years, only have 900hrs on the bulb, and has been trouble free... until yesterday, watching espn, needed to take the dog out, came back about 10mins later and the picture was upside down... i thought maybe it was a hiccup with espn, but all stations were upside down.. shut down the pj for 10mins, turned it back on , and worked fine...
any ideas what mite have caused it, and is this the begining of the end...

thanks
post #824 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJD View Post

My auto iris is rubbish too, but I'm happy with it switched off, so not a problem.

If anything it's worse for me after the 75 update - I tried it the other day and it was going up and down constantly during one scene even with minimal changes in light.

Either way, I find the slight noise it makes distracting and the difference in picture quality is too small to make it worth having on anyway.

This is exactly what i mean and see!! Was it better with a early update? My came with the newest firmware. Perhaps the older was better?
post #825 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Well, I think I have a new one.

I've been using the motion smoothing and just living with the artifacts that are produced - I like some of the benefits, and they currently outweigh the negatives for me.

I switched it completely off and was watching a movie, and I immediately noticed that there is a problem near the top of the sceen - somewhere between 5-10% of the screen height down from the top. There is a phenomenon that is a bit difficult to explain. It's like the top portion is running a frame or two ahead of the rest of the screen - it's easily noticable when there is motion in that portion of the screen, then goes away (not noticable) when there is no motion.

Still running A65 (if it ain't broke.......)

Any chance upgrading to A72 fixes this, or do I have a larger problem?
post #826 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

@John: I dont have the problem that you describe. I want update to A72 Firmware. When the problem is still there, then call the service.

By the way, i want to say that the projector is realy great and my problem with the iris is the only thing for me what is bad for me.
post #827 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Well, I think I have a new one.

I've been using the motion smoothing and just living with the artifacts that are produced - I like some of the benefits, and they currently outweigh the negatives for me.

I switched it completely off and was watching a movie, and I immediately noticed that there is a problem near the top of the sceen - somewhere between 5-10% of the screen height down from the top. There is a phenomenon that is a bit difficult to explain. It's like the top portion is running a frame or two ahead of the rest of the screen - it's easily noticable when there is motion in that portion of the screen, then goes away (not noticable) when there is no motion.

Still running A65 (if it ain't broke.......)

Any chance upgrading to A72 fixes this, or do I have a larger problem?

It is "broke". What you're seeing is tearing. It was fixed with the firmware update, so if you want to get rid of it you'll need to upgrade.
post #828 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

It is "broke". What you're seeing is tearing. It was fixed with the firmware update, so if you want to get rid of it you'll need to upgrade.

That's what I'm hoping. Thanks
post #829 of 1997 Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I'm hoping. Thanks

It definitely fixes it. I had the same thing, when I upgraded it, the tearing was gone.
post #830 of 1997 Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Paris 401:

I owned the InFocus 7210 for almost five
years, and once or twice a year it would
"glitch." Settings switched automatically
from rightside up to upside down. The
worst one was when the color glitched
and the image appeared to be "solarized"
or heavy on the blue or red. I learned
you simply needed to power down and
power up. The glitch was gone. And you
wouldn't see it glitch again for another year.
Nothing to worry about. It is not a problem
with the projector aging or ready to die.

But if you upgrade to the 8602, you won't
look back. Update 72 fixed all the problems,
including the frisky iris and tearing and the
freeze. I am happy as a clam and wouldn't
trade the projector with any other in the
same price range. For those who updated
the firmware and still have problems, it
may simply be the projector is "broken"
and needs to be sent back for service.
post #831 of 1997 Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarquee View Post

Paris 401:

I owned the InFocus 7210 for almost five
years, and once or twice a year it would
"glitch." Settings switched automatically
from rightside up to upside down. The
worst one was when the color glitched
and the image appeared to be "solarized"
or heavy on the blue or red. I learned
you simply needed to power down and
power up. The glitch was gone. And you
wouldn't see it glitch again for another year.
Nothing to worry about. It is not a problem
with the projector aging or ready to die.

But if you upgrade to the 8602, you won't
look back. Update 72 fixed all the problems,
including the frisky iris and tearing and the
freeze. I am happy as a clam and wouldn't
trade the projector with any other in the
same price range. For those who updated
the firmware and still have problems, it
may simply be the projector is "broken"
and needs to be sent back for service.

thanks... i got one of the 1st 7210 that made it to our u.s. shores, and it has been flawless... i have never even updated the firmware.. why mess with a good thing.. in anycase my intention..upgrade to the 8602, once all the bugs are worked out... which they seem to be...
thanks
post #832 of 1997 Old 07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the first update attempt failed. Got to the "wait for target reset" after clicking the "flash" button - nothing happens.

I will try getting a new USB to DB9 converter - the little lights on it never flashed. I haven't used this converter in a couple of years, so maybe it's bad.

Tried everything else I could think of - changed USB ports, re downloaded the firmware, rebooted the computer, etc. No joy.
post #833 of 1997 Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Must be using vista or win 7 i take it ?
post #834 of 1997 Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthlander View Post

Must be using vista or win 7 i take it ?

Vista.......
post #835 of 1997 Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Did the firmware update last night and all went well. I also did a factory reset and made some minimal changes in the settings (no color/contrast/brightness adjustments), and it works great. Incredible dark level detail with excellent non-crushed whites whatsoever. The auto iris handles very well, even hard to detect during credits. Although I could see the auto iris action during credits before, it never bothered me, and now it's just that much better.

Quote:

Well, the first update attempt failed. Got to the "wait for target reset" after clicking the "flash" button - nothing happens.

I will try getting a new USB to DB9 converter - the little lights on it never flashed. I haven't used this converter in a couple of years, so maybe it's bad.

Tried everything else I could think of - changed USB ports, re downloaded the firmware, rebooted the computer, etc. No joy.

Just in case it's been overlooked, be sure to use a null modem serial cable.
post #836 of 1997 Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt View Post

Did the firmware update last night and all went well. I also did a factory reset and made some minimal changes in the settings (no color/contrast/brightness adjustments), and it works great. Incredible dark level detail with excellent non-crushed whites whatsoever. The auto iris handles very well, even hard to detect during credits. Although I could see the auto iris action during credits before, it never bothered me, and now it's just that much better.

Just in case it's been overlooked, be sure to use a null modem serial cable.

I ordered and received what was advertised as a female to female DB9 null modem serial cable.

OOC - what makes it a "null modem" serial cable?
post #837 of 1997 Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 PM

I beleave the difference is it only reads one direction
post #838 of 1997 Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

I will quote tibia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibia View Post

John, northlander, avmjt---

I am a little concerned you guys are about to make a mistake regarding SP8602 firmware upgrading via RS-232 and a USB to serial adaptor. There is no need for a DB9 gender changer. Your serial cable needs to have DB9 female connectors at each end. Such a cable is identified as a null-modem serial cable. What makes it unique is that its Tx and Rx pins are reversed from one end of the cable to the other. Pin reversal does not happen with a gender changer. The fact you are using a USB to serial adaptor is irrelevant.

Also be sure to try the different ports from the firmware upgrade interface. Mine needed to be on COM3. Good luck!
post #839 of 1997 Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi,

I received a reply from InFocus regarding the green staining I experienced with 3 different SP8602. They advised me that this is a consequence of a lens working at this resolution and they called it lens flare, referring me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

I have to admit to being a little surprised by this but wondered if anyone has seen this. It shows up if you view a white background. If you have you SP8602 connected up to a PC just open up Paint or navigate to google.

Would be great to hear opinions on this.

HL
post #840 of 1997 Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterlegs View Post

Hi,

I received a reply from InFocus regarding the green staining I experienced with 3 different SP8602. They advised me that this is a consequence of a lens working at this resolution and they called it lens flare, referring me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

I have to admit to being a little surprised by this but wondered if anyone has seen this. It shows up if you view a white background. If you have you SP8602 connected up to a PC just open up Paint or navigate to google.

Would be great to hear opinions on this.

HL

can you take a picture of it and post it?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page