1Likes

post #61 of 1997 Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Messing around in the Service Menu can be hazardous to your projector.

Yeah that's what I was figuring. But it'd still be nice to know how to access...I don't know why, but it would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1997 Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

If the regular menu isn't enough for fine calibration , the "service menu" become most important.

I hope that SP8602 has a color management system.
post #63 of 1997 Old 02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Given your knowledge and understandings at this point, and please don`t view that as a disparaging remark, I would not mess around inside the service menu. Things can really get screwed up unless you know what you are doing. Friendly advice.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #64 of 1997 Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM

I was enter in the "service menu" of my old Sim2 Domino20. Here i found a better control of RGB (gain and bias).

Well ,that Domino20 , still works...
post #65 of 1997 Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some controls can safely be adjusted in the service menu. Others can`t. If you go there be sure to copy the settings down before changing anything. You do not have the instrumentation to know how to change the RGB settings no matter where located. The test dis is not what you need for this although certain patterns there can be used in conjuction with the right instrumentation. Given your knowledge and equipment, a far safer course would be to hire a calibrator who knows what he is doing.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #66 of 1997 Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM

i have a 7210 on its last leg you guys realy get into fine tunning these. My 7210 i took it out of the box and set it to 6500k ajusted the brightness and contrast and done i hope it that easy with the new one . i hope its worth the money and i see a big diffrence.

matthew price
post #67 of 1997 Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Some controls can safely be adjusted in the service menu. Others can`t. If you go there be sure to copy the settings down before changing anything...

Sure

However , i hope that the regular menu , has all controlls for RGB levels an Gamma correction.
post #68 of 1997 Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 AM

The Advanced picture menu has gain (high end) and bias (low end) gray scale adjustments for R, G & B. It looks like you need to get into the service menu to adjust color intensity. Its best to have calibration equipment to set up those adjustments.

Joe
post #69 of 1997 Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Better than nothing...

Iìm so curious of see it with my eyes...

Meanwhile , can anyone post other screen shots ?

P.S. I have a calibration equipment.
post #70 of 1997 Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I keep coming back to this thread expecting it to have updates. There are at least a couple of AVS members that now have the projector, and you'd think there's a reviewer somewhere with one...................

Hopefully, it picks up in the next few days, and that rumored second round of shipments starts showing up.

Impatiently waiting...............
post #71 of 1997 Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can any of the owners comment if the "cable tray" at the back of the projector can be removed so that the projector isn't as long?
post #72 of 1997 Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In case you haven't seen, Art is going to review this next on Projectorreviews

post #73 of 1997 Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenificent1 View Post

can any of the owners comment if the "cable tray" at the back of the projector can be removed so that the projector isn't as long?

+1
post #74 of 1997 Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 AM

To the owners : there is the control of "overscan"?
post #75 of 1997 Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Can any of the owners comment if the "cable tray" at the back of the projector can be removed so that the projector isn't as long?

The cable tray cannot be removed.
post #76 of 1997 Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 View Post

To the owners : there is the control of "overscan"?

There is an overscan button that according to the manual removes noise from around the image. I have not used any source material where this feature has been needed.
post #77 of 1997 Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Overscan enlarges the picture by some percentage, throwing the part overscaned on the black borders of the screen. Often one might see a white noise bar at the top or bottom of an image caused by the source. One might see this say when a 1.78 HD broadcast switches to 4.3 or something else for a comercial. The camera say being 720p and the commercial being say 1080i. By overscanning you will miss the overscanned part of the regular broadcast but you will hide the short lasting length of commercial noise bar. You can do the same thing as overscan by just zooming the image out to hide the noise bar.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #78 of 1997 Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM

My question is to be sure to map dot by dot the DMD.
post #79 of 1997 Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Overscan enlarges the picture by some percentage, throwing the part overscaned on the black borders of the screen. Often one might see a white noise bar at the top or bottom of an image caused by the source. One might see this say when a 1.78 HD broadcast switches to 4.3 or something else for a comercial. The camera say being 720p and the commercial being say 1080i. By overscanning you will miss the overscanned part of the regular broadcast but you will hide the short lasting length of commercial noise bar. You can do the same thing as overscan by just zooming the image out to hide the noise bar.

I thought overscan was equivalent to a slight zoom and crop. What you're describing sounds like an actual zoom? Overscan shouldn't actually be projecting anything onto your black border, no?
post #80 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are right.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #81 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have several hours on my SP8602 now, and to anyone who also owns one, what do you think of the black levels and shadow detail? When watching a movie, like Pandorum for example... A very dark movie, the blacks are simply not very black compared to the letterbox top and bottom black bars. Maybe its just the movie, or the fact that my projector isnt offically calibrated.

Also, I have the Spears and Munsil BD and the test video on that is crystal clear and very crisp, but lately, most blurrays, with the exception of Gamer, are very grainy. Is this just the film with all of that noise or is it the projector? I mean, you can still mostly tell its in hi-def, but sometimes I find myself focusing more on the grain in the film, the the actual movie itself. Is this just the compression of the disc format. I mean, obviously the projector can produce an awsome image, which was proven with the calibration dvd, but is it the projector that causes some of this noise I am seeing?

thanks
post #82 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 View Post

I have several hours on my SP8602 now, and to anyone who also owns one, what do you think of the black levels and shadow detail? When watching a movie, like Pandorum for example... A very dark movie, the blacks are simply not very black compared to the letterbox top and bottom black bars. Maybe its just the movie, or the fact that my projector isnt offically calibrated.

Also, I have the Spears and Munsil BD and the test video on that is crystal clear and very crisp, but lately, most blurrays, with the exception of Gamer, are very grainy. Is this just the film with all of that noise or is it the projector? I mean, you can still mostly tell its in hi-def, but sometimes I find myself focusing more on the grain in the film, the the actual movie itself. Is this just the compression of the disc format. I mean, obviously the projector can produce an awsome image, which was proven with the calibration dvd, but is it the projector that causes some of this noise I am seeing?

thanks

The black bars you describe *aer* being *projected* by the unit. If black isn't as dark as those at least, then I'd say you have the brightnes set wrong.
post #83 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

The black bars you describe *aer* being *projected* by the unit. If black isn't as dark as those at least, then I'd say you have the brightnes set wrong.

So on most projectors, a projected image that is all black, will actually appear darker thank the black letterbox bars?
post #84 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Turn the brightness down until the black bars don't get any darker; that's the lowest black level your pj is capable of.

If you never see blacks that dark, then your brightness, and maybe gamma, isn't set properly.

Noah
post #85 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Turn the brightness down until the black bars don't get any darker; that's the lowest black level your pj is capable of.

If you never see blacks that dark, then your brightness, and maybe gamma, isn't set properly.

So if the black bars aren't actually being projected by the projector, then why would turning brightness down make them darker?

While watching pandorum, the image was nowhere near as dark as the bars...this really sucks. It still has out of the box settings with everything at 50/100. I really can't adjust the image using the projector because for sone reason my elite fd-23 bdp is overriding it with it's video settings, I I pretty much have to use the bluray player to adjust the picture.
post #86 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

maybe I need to adjust my iris. Its set to auto right now but capable of selecting from 10%-100% by a factor of 10% at a time.
post #87 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Earlier post says you have Spears & Munsill - use that to set your levels (brightness, contast are your major ones). The "Black bars" will give you some idea of the absolute blackest that your projector can produce, not what it is adjusted to project. Many projectors have "black bars" that are just a dark shade of gray - and that tells you that the PJ does not have very deep blacks.

I'd just do the best I could using the setup disc, and see if that is going to be satisfactory. Any other changes probably needs a professional calibration and/or a different screen gain.
post #88 of 1997 Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Earlier post says you have Spears & Munsill - use that to set your levels (brightness, contast are your major ones). The "Black bars" will give you some idea of the absolute blackest that your projector can produce, not what it is adjusted to project. Many projectors have "black bars" that are just a dark shade of gray - and that tells you that the PJ does not have very deep blacks.

I'd just do the best I could using the setup disc, and see if that is going to be satisfactory. Any other changes probably needs a professional calibration and/or a different screen gain.

Great you're familiar with the spears and munsil cal disc!?

This post will be very long and I apologize, but in a desperate attempt to solve my issue, here goes!

Please note that this is while using the s&m cal disc. Images of what I'm talking about can be found at http://spearsandmunsil.com/articles/...epatterns.html

Here is my problem with what you just recommended; it may sound crazy but I fully believe this whole issue lies in my bluray player, and here's why. It seems like my bluray player (elite 23fd)is completely overriding my projectors display settings. What I mean by this is that, I can change brightness and contrast on the infocus but it does very little. *I mean I can move them both up and down and you can see a distortion of the image, but it simply will not allow the image on the screen to do what it needs to do to look proper. *

My bluray player has several settings on it to choose from, being plasma, LCD, projector, pioneer projector, pioneer plasma, memory 1,2&3, and professional. *I HAVE to chose on of these. *Memory 1,2&3 are all adjustable, the rest are all presets. *

Now let's say I choose projector...By doing this, it defaults to the preset settings programmed picture settings in the bluray players video proccessor. *With the bluray set to "projector" and the infocus sp8602 set to default settings (all at 50...right on the middle) and I open up the low pluge, I see no left bars at all, only the right 2 and the checkerboard pattern. *It even has the static while looking up close in the gray squares with the other squares in the checkerboard being completely black. *BUT, no matter how high I turn brightness up, I cannot see all four black bars, just the two right ones.

So, on to contrast...with these same settings (bluray set to "projector", infocus set to factory default) there is major clipping. *Only 3 white boxes show on the bottom and the rest are blending with the white background. *Now when I try to turn up contrast via the infocus, just 1 notch (from 50 to 51) it completely clips the 3 boxes that you could see and is completely white. *So I try to lower the contrast via the infocus, and no matter how low I go, the image simply gets dimmer, and this 3 white boxes are still the only thing that can be seen on the bottom, even with contrast set all the way down to zero.(I can't remember the box numbers but they are the far left ones)

On to clipping. *With the same settings (bluray set to "projector" and infocus set to factory default settings) every single rectangle (W,b,r,g) are completly clipped and again, by using the infocus, turning down contrast does nothing at all but dim the image. *

It does this with all settings on the bluray player except memory 1,2&3.

Now with all of that said, I can leave the infocus at the factory default settings (50 on everything...right in the middle) and change the bluray to memory 1. *Memory 1 is not a preset and can be manually adjusted. *

Onto low pluge once again...by using the memory 1 and manually setting the black level through the bluray player, all 4 bars show up when I turn the black level up, but no checkerboard, so I adjusted it to where the second from the right bar dissapears and turn it one notch higher to where it's barely visible...the two left bars are also invisible at this point.

On to contrast. *By again using the bluray player and turning down the white level this time, all white boxes except the farthest to the right now show up. *The last one on the right clips. *This is correct I assume. and with these settings, even the black bars at the top of the contrast image that show brightness, I can see 18 and above...below 18 are blended into the background, which I assume this is also correct.

Onto*clipping...the*white*and*green*rectangles*are*working*j ust*fine...no clipping in those at all. *The blue and red rectangles however show just a bar down the middle. *So they aren't completely clipped but mostly clipped. *I can turn contrast down to unclip them, but when I do this and go to the contrast screen, every single white bar on the bottom is visible now, and I thought all except the farthest right were supposed to be visible.

Back to the clipping image. *If I leave contrast alone and turn down gamma just 2 notches, nothing is clipped anymore, and by doing this doesn't change anything on the other screens as far as I can tell. *

So it seems that my bluray player is overriding my projector somehow. **

I'm going to go look at the cropping image to check gamma right now. Hopefully it's on par and my gamma adjusent didn't effect anything.
post #89 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

^^^
Do you have access to a different BluRay player?
I'd swap it out and make sure that it's an issue there, and not an issue with a new projector where the controls are DOA.
post #90 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 View Post

...but lately, most blurrays, with the exception of Gamer, are very grainy...

Which Blu Ray?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page