post #991 of 1993 Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post

I believe it's a DC3 DLP .65 chip inside, and the second vendor mentioned earlier has stock and would ship today if you place an order (The sales guy was shocked at the price ). They had three in stock (well two since I bought one).

I called AVS and canceled my order and scooped up one of these. It will work with my current (and future setup), and I have the lumens to go with a larger screen. I'll use this projector till the 3D tech on projectors gets a bit better then where they are at right now. The B-stock was quite the deal, but I can pass on it for this projector.

I should have my tracking number tonight! Thanks for posting up the info swest!

This is soooo tempting I'm at odds on which way to go now..wait on the VW85 or go with the 8602..I have been waiting on this unit to drop in price for months! And now it has...the timing is terrible.lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1993 Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I should have my tracking number tonight! Looks like I'm back in the DLP game. Thanks for posting up the info swest!

My pleasure. I just got my tracking number from the Infocus direct purchase.

"Things are going to start happening to me now!"

- s.west

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
post #993 of 1993 Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe it's a DC3 DLP .65 chip inside, and the second vendor mentioned earlier has stock and would ship today if you place an order (The sales guy was shocked at the price ). They had three in stock (well two since I bought one).

I called AVS and canceled my order and scooped up one of these. It will work with my current (and future setup), and I have the lumens to go with a larger screen. I'll use this projector till the 3D tech on projectors gets a bit better then where they are at right now. The B-stock was quite the deal, but I can pass on it for this projector. I should have my tracking number tonight! Thanks for posting up the info swest!

Well I'm also canceling my order with AVS. I just ordered one of these as well from projector people. Since I was a return customer, I got a better deal than the price direct from the manufactures website.

My units ships out today as well. I should have it here in two days! My impatiences has got the best of me. I like the brightness specs of this unit. I can use it in more lighting conditions than the Sony..which I'm sure I would also enjoy.
post #994 of 1993 Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

My units ships out today as well. It should have it here in two days! My impatiences has got the best of me. I like the brightness specs of this unit. I can use it in more lighting conditions than the Sony..which I'm sure I would also enjoy.

Well I'm also canceling my order with AVS. I just ordered one of these as well from projector people. Since I was a return customer, I got a better deal than the price direct from the manufactures website.

Awesome! I wish I got an added discount but this is the first time I've ordered from them. It's being shipped ground so I won't see this till Friday or Monday since I'm in Canada. Let me know what you think of it once it arrives!
post #995 of 1993 Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome! I wish I got an added discount but this is the first time I've ordered from them. It's being shipped ground so I won't see this till Friday or Monday since I'm in Canada. Let me know what you think of it once it arrives!

I certainly will my friend!
I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Benq W6000 a friend owns. I've grown accustom to bold and bright...its difficult for me to go to something considered dim. Hopefully the blacks don't suffer too much from this unit being a light cannon.
post #996 of 1993 Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Have you had the chance to see one in person? I have and I've seen the W6000 as well. The SP8602 was put on my short list and the W6000 was not. Also seen the Optoma 8600 and that was a nice piece as well, but I was not happy with the 8200 I had bought a while ago so I wasn't about to go that route. I had bought a used VW50 as a stop gap while I decided on if I wanted to go JVC, Sony or Infocus.

Oh and I got my tracking info!

Now to decide on a new screen size!
post #997 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you had the chance to see one in person? I have and I've seen the W6000 as well. The SP8602 was put on my short list and the W6000 was not. Also seen the Optoma 8600 and that was a nice piece as well, but I was not happy with the 8200 I had bought a while ago so I wasn't about to go that route. I had bought a used VW50 as a stop gap while I decided on if I wanted to go JVC, Sony or Infocus.

Oh and I got my tracking info!

Now to decide on a new screen size!

I've seen the Benq W6000 but never the Infocus. Looks like I will get it on Wednesday. It probably won't be tested till early Thursday morning though.

So what would you describe as the differences between the Infocus and Benq? I've lusted after the Optoma 8600..just too far out of my price range.
post #998 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've seen the Benq W6000 but never the Infocus. Looks like I will get it on Wednesday. It probably won't be tested till early Thursday morning though.

So what would you describe as the differences between the Infocus and Benq? I've lusted after the Optoma 8600..just too far out of my price range.

I haven't seen one since my initial projector search last year but off of memory I wasn't that impressed with the image. At the time it was going to be a W20000 replacement and it didn't come close to being one. It's bright, but that's about it. It's good if you have a rather large screen as it's a light cannon but that's all it had going for it (to me anyways).
post #999 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I thought Ryan worked for Projector People?

Well, as it turns out, my Infocus direct purchase actually shipped out of Tampa, not Portland... hmm...

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
post #1000 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post

Well, as it turns out, my Infocus direct purchase actually shipped out of Tampa, not Portland... hmm...

It sound like this projector is at the end of it's life. Since PP is the only one with the current low price Infocus must of made a deal with PP and are using their inventory as well. PP shows availability now of 1 to 2 days. We shall see what happens from here.

I also have the W6000 and I'm interested to hear the comparisons, the Infocus was on my short list.
post #1001 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt View Post

Anyone care to look and see the bare lamp part number is so we can possibly get them for $150 instead of $350 for the entire lamp assembly?

I'm finding some Philips 260W UHP lamps for $125.

I've been looking for the answer to this question, and haven't come up with it. Does anyone know the part number for the bare lamp?

Thanks.

- s.west

post #1002 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious if these units have the latest firmware update.Last update on the site was 10/2010. If these are the last of the units from Portland via PP, I would hope so. If not, we'll all have to do the upgrade ourselves.
post #1003 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm curious if these units have the latest firmware update.Last update on the site was 10/2010. If these are the last of the units from Portland via PP, I would hope so. If not, we'll all have to do the upgrade ourselves.

I hope it has at least V72 so that we can update the projector via USB. I'm a mac guy and I'll have to have my friend bring over his laptop to preform the update (If needed).
post #1004 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I've been looking for the answer to this question, and haven't come up with it. Does anyone know the part number for the bare lamp?

Thanks.

- s.west

Mine just quit at just over 800 hours. Below is the only source I've found for a bare lamp (I can't post URLs yet) for $145. They are in India and shipping is $30 and you'd probably have to wait, but I'm not sure. They don't list part number so I can't search for something closer. I'll be taking it out this evening to locate a bare lamp part number. I'll post if I come up with anything else.

buyprojectorlamps.co.in/product/mfg_infocus_19006.html

Note that this is a generic lamp. I'd much prefer a bare OEM lamp.
post #1005 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

I took my housing apart, it's *very* easy with a #0 screwdriver and 2.5 hex driver. The lamp is an "Osram P-VIP 280/0.9 E20.9". Now where to find them. I see this in "E20.6" and "E20.8" all over the place for about $110, but "E20.9" is not easy to find. Wonder if the "E20.8" would work.
post #1006 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Neverbicker View Post

Mine just quit at just over 800 hours...

Ouch!

Were you running it in bright mode or econo mode?

post #1007 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM

I bought mine in December. It had v72 of the firmware already on it. There is a higher version of the firmware but it doesn't really have anything that I need.
post #1008 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigScreen View Post

I bought mine in December. It had v72 of the firmware already on it. There is a higher version of the firmware but it doesn't really have anything that I need.

Good to know, I hope it's the same for mine. Thanks for sharing

I checked my tracking, and I should have it for this Friday! I'm rather excited! Oh and are there any owners here who play videogames on their projector? If so how is it? Anything I should know about?
post #1009 of 1993 Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hi All,

I was on the RS40 pre-order and after waiting 5 months and hearing next week for the past month and a half I decided to look for something else....don't know what is going on with JVC?? But in all honesty the primary reason I decided to go this route was because I have a 156" scope screen that I need lumens to light up and after thinking more about 3D just decided it wasn't worth it. After hearing a number of reputable forum members only measuring roughly 650 lumens after calibration (same as last generation RS models even though this generation boasts 1300 lumens which is what the SP8602 claims too) and rapid and significant light loss I decided to look elsewhere. That is when I noticed this thread pop up again and a few of you referring to 50% reduction in price from MSRP and after reading through the whole thread decided this would be a good choice for me and ordered last night from Projector People. It should be here on Thursday.

I will be upgrading or updating if you will from the Infocus IN83. The IN83 was purchased about 2.5 years ago now and was about the only thing on the market that would light up my screen properly. The only problem was that it had too much fixed offset and I have had to use quite a bit of keystone adjustment and my anamorphic lens doesn't really work well with it due to the tilting of the projector and the shape of the projector (you can not slide the lens up flush with the front). It will be nice to have a projector that will work right with my 8 foot ceilings and hopefully have some improvement in contrast ratio to boot.
post #1010 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Ouch!

Were you running it in bright mode or econo mode?
Bright mode, which is still at the lamp's rated power. I'm not even sure that the lamp is the problem. It may be the projector. I'll find out when I get a new lamp.

Love this PJ by the way. It's all I could ask for.
post #1011 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Well my tracking was updated to say that I should see it tomorrow!? Yeah, I'm excited (and I think I'm coming down with something *cough cough*).
post #1012 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

I will be upgrading or updating if you will from the Infocus IN83. The IN83 was purchased about 2.5 years ago now and was about the only thing on the market that would light up my screen properly. The only problem was that it had too much fixed offset and I have had to use quite a bit of keystone adjustment and my anamorphic lens doesn't really work well with it due to the tilting of the projector and the shape of the projector (you can not slide the lens up flush with the front). It will be nice to have a projector that will work right with my 8 foot ceilings and hopefully have some improvement in contrast ratio to boot.

I have an anamorphic lens with my sp8602. With the keystone adjustments on the pj it is working very well.
post #1013 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked: 15
I have a quick question for all you owners. Is the InFocus Sp8602 considered the best DLP projector for under 5K? I have a infocus x10 and my bulb is about to go out. I have been considering this projector as a worthy upgrade. So what do you think?
post #1014 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll hold off my judgment of the picture quality till I get more time to tinker. So far I'm not impressed with the build quality. The cable management on the rear is very flimsy. One of the little holders snapped off without any effort. The unit wasn't double boxed and UPS had a field day with it! There were no batteries for the remote..not cool for a projector costing this much! Also the unit is much louder than I anticipated. The unit still has the old 65 firmware on it..very disappointed in this!This thing better throw one hell of an image.If not it will be on its way back to projector people tomorrow.
post #1015 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll hold off my judgment of the picture quality till I get more time to tinker. So far I'm not impressed with the build quality. The cable management on the rear is very flimsy. One of the little holders snapped off without any effort. The unit wasn't double boxed and UPS had a field day with it! There were no batteries for the remote..not cool for a projector costing this much! Also the unit is much louder than I anticipated. The unit still has the old 65 firmware on it..very disappointed in this!This thing better throw one hell of an image.If not it will be on its way back to projector people tomorrow.

Ugh this is not what I like to hear. Seeing that ours came from the same place, I guess it's not double boxed (and mine travelled farther then yours) and we've got the same base FW. I'm not worried about PQ as I've already seen one in person (And it was great!) I hope UPS will be nice to my box for once...

Good times
post #1016 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well... I went ahead and ordered the cables needed for the upgrade. Monoprice has the best prices around. Both USB to Serial and Null modem cable with shipping less than $10.

I took the night off from work so I could set this unit up. So I may post a few pics before the night is over. I will say this unit is hellish BRIGHT. Not a match for my Benq W1000 but damn bright enough! lol

We'll see how she performs soon enough.
post #1017 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I totally forgot about that. I just placed an order over on Monoprice as well for both. It was $15 shipped to Canada via air so I should see them in a week or so.

I'm also down to see how you have the projector set up (Lets see those pictures!).
post #1018 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uhhgg, what does UPS had a field day with it mean exactly? Was the box damaged from handling?

I am disappointed to hear it has the old firmware still, how long have they had these things sitting around I wonder. Well I already have an older laptop running XP with a serial connector and null modem cable I use for calibration and to communicate with my Radiance so hopefully the upgrade will be easy enough.

What projector do you have now, just wondering what you consider noisy? The IN83 is a noisy projector and based on some feedback here, the SP8602 is not quite as noisy as the IN83. No matter as I am going to put it in a hush box soon enough anyway.
post #1019 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

From what I remember, I didn't notice it being loud when I had seen a demo of it. It was mounted a few feet from my head in the room. It was the same db as my old Optoma HD8200.
post #1020 of 1993 Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been trying to navigate the menu and get the colors adjusted. Played a little Ghost rider and Outlander. The image is SUPERB! ..WOW what a beautiful image this projector throws.If anyone is familiar with these films..they know there are lot of dark scenes.

The noise isn't bad tonight. When I turned it on earlier in the day ..it seemed noisy. With all the other equipment going its not bad at all. My little Benq W1000 is slightly quieter.

UPS put a 12 inch gash in the side of the box. I'm surprised its not totaled out! plan to post some pics soon.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page