post #91 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost60 View Post

Which Blu Ray?

Pandorum especially, with alot of others showing, I guess you would call it typical grain. But yeah pandorum was pretty grainy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

^^^
Do you have access to a different BluRay player?
I'd swap it out and make sure that it's an issue there, and not an issue with a new projector where the controls are DOA.

I'll hook up my panny bdp up to it today and try it
post #93 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

The DLP chip is the 0.65" DMD not the 0.95" as used in the IN83. According to Mark Peterson, the 0.95" is sharper although that might be to do with the optics of the Optoma used in the article. Better optics may offset the size difference of the chip, if not, then it might be considered a downgrade to some. However, I am sure the black levels are better on the sp8602

Hi there. I'm not sure the comparison would be that straightforward because the sp8602 uses a newer version of DarkChip than the IN83 as far as I'm aware. Let me know if that's wrong, but I think so.
post #94 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 View Post

"Luelf21" The blacks are simply not very black compared to the letterbox top and bottom black bars. Maybe its just the movie, or the fact that my projector isnt offically calibrated.

In the menu there is a "Set Black Level" option which is described as Analyzes the current input image and calculates an offset
value which is then added to the analog to digital converter black level
value. This ensures optimum black level for each analog source.

When I try this setting what it seems to do is take the black borders on top and bottom which may appear as a dark grey and adjust the projectors settings to make it a true black. Works great at getting true blacks in a hurry, but it affects the brights too...
post #95 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Pandorum especially, with alot of others showing, I guess you would call it typical grain. But yeah pandorum was pretty grainy.

Can you confirm if it looks like film grain you're seeing or digital noise?

Film grain wouldn't be uncommon, especially if you're viewing it particularly big, for instance the Hurt Locker is very grainy. Surprised with a sci-fi movie.

When you say the films you've viewed lately are grainy, have you tried re-viewing the ones you'd viewed before? If they still look OK it's obviously the films.
post #96 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poagman View Post

In the menu there is a "Set Black Level" option which is described as Analyzes the current input image and calculates an offset

When I try this setting what it seems to do is take the black borders on top and bottom which may appear as a dark grey and adjust the projectors settings to make it a true black. Works great at getting true blacks in a hurry, but it affects the brights too...

for some reason that option on my projector menu is disabled. how do I enable it to where I can adjust it. Also, what do you have your iris set at? Mine is at auto.
post #97 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Hi Poagman. I take it from your comment you're a new owner too. Quite a few people on here are looking for reviews of the new machine – can you give us your early thoughts?

I own an IN83 but am thinking of swapping it. Would appreciate any advice you can offer and comparison with anything you've used before.

In fact anyone who's got one! You have a captive audience!

I'm a bit concerned that Infocus shipped these without prioritising early delivery to online reviewers.

Seems a bit odd, because it has been a bit of a soft launch, especially after such a long wait.

Haven't seen anyone say they've been stunned by the quality yet either or that it is a step up from previous units, which is what I'd generally expect of something from Infocus.

post #98 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:

for some reason that option on my projector menu is disabled. how do I enable it to where I can adjust it. Also, what do you have your iris set at? Mine is at auto.

I set the Iris to manual so accomodate different lighting conditions. Perhaps the auto settings needs to be disabled? It would make sense that you use the "Set Black Level" setting to take a snapshot of signal to make the adjustment and having the Iris on auto would cause it to move from the optimal black level settings. I am not home and can't try now unfortunately.
post #99 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJD View Post

Quite a few people on here are looking for reviews of the new machine - can you give us your early thoughts?

Haven't seen anyone say they've been stunned by the quality yet either or that it is a step up from previous units, which is what I'd generally expect of something from Infocus.

I actually posted my opinion earlier today on here at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18210279

I am not a professional installer, calibrater, just a long-time PJ user. I just wanted to point out pots of interest and major differences I saw between the IN83 and SP8602.
post #100 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:

There isn't yet "Pandorum" in Italy.

But , if you see grain in Blu ray of Peter Jackson's King Kong (for example) , would mean that is the projector...
post #101 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 AM

@ Poagman

The SP8602 is razor like IN83?
You see difference between 0,65" and 0,95" DMD?
post #102 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

When using HD source many options may go away, and the feature mentioned is for analog sources

Noah
post #103 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:

@ Poagman

The SP8602 is razor like IN83?
You see difference between 0,65" and 0,95" DMD?

With the IN83 I could notice the lines between the DLP mirrors when i got close. Kind of like looking through a screen door. With the SP8602 it was a lot harder to see. I would think it would have been worse, but it wasn't.

Is there something else i should be looking for in regards to the chip size?
post #104 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM

OK... Thanks
post #105 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

With the IN83 I could notice the lines between the DLP mirrors when i got close. Kind of like looking through a screen door. With the SP8602 it was a lot harder to see. I would think it would have been worse, but it wasn't.

Is there something else i should be looking for in regards to the chip size?

are the pixels as sharp? can you see the dimple of the individual mirrors when you get really close?
post #106 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I set the Iris to manual so accomodate different lighting conditions. Perhaps the auto settings needs to be disabled? It would make sense that you use the "Set Black Level" setting to take a snapshot of signal to make the adjustment and having the Iris on auto would cause it to move from the optimal black level settings. I am not home and can't try now unfortunately.

When you say you set it to manual, do you mean the selections from 10%-100%? If so, what is yours set at?

After reading the description of "set black levels" I found that it is disabled on mine because I am using HDMI connections. The "set black level" selection is for analog signals ONLY.
post #107 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

You can take a look at the very first post in this thread and see the black levels of my projector. the clones wars, the dark city shot, and the dark WB emblem give a pretty good idea.
post #108 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 PM

My experience in setting brightness when using HDMI input is that the projector can display black, the 2% pluge pattern (using DVE disk) and up to 100% white but will not display blacker than black or whiter than white levels. It does not make a difference if the auto iris is engaged or not.

Its interesting that my manual and the on line manual does not indicate the motion flow feature which is accessible in the menu. I tried using it on 1080p 24fps dvd and it made quick movements very "blocky". When the feature is disabled the motion was much smoother.
Compared to my old DLP this unit puts out a very sharp image with typical DLP 3d "pop".

Joe
post #109 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDecleri View Post

My experience in setting brightness when using HDMI input is that the projector can display black, the 2% pluge pattern (using DVE disk) and up to 100% white but will not display blacker than black or whiter than white levels. It does not make a difference if the auto iris is engaged or not.

Its interesting that my manual and the on line manual does not indicate the motion flow feature which is accessible in the menu. I tried using it on 1080p 24fps dvd and it made quick movements very "blocky". When the feature is disabled the motion was much smoother.
Compared to my old DLP this unit puts out a very sharp image with typical DLP 3d "pop".

Joe

so maybe I should try component video?

Also, should I put my iris to auto? 100%? what is best and y?
post #110 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe

Did you check the settings for some kind of HDMI input level, or black level setting (i.e. "standard" or "enhanced")? changing that on most pj's allows btb and wtw to pass. Also, are you sure that the rest of your equipment in the signal chain are able to pass BTB and WTW?
post #111 of 1997 Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Did you check the settings for some kind of HDMI input level, or black level setting (i.e. "standard" or "enhanced")? changing that on most pj's allows btb and wtw to pass.

There is a 'set black level' but is only for analog sources. Other than that there's no settings I can find that are equivalent to what you're explaining.
post #112 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 AM

It is my understanding that there is no reason to display BTB or WTW. On a grayscale ramp as long as you can see between the 100% black and 100% white your OK.
I did notice that the gamma adjustments make somewhat of a difference when viewing the gray ramp especially at low IRE values.
I would leave the iris set to auto as its a great feature to enhance black levels for dark scenes.
post #113 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is my understanding that there is no reason to display BTB or WTW. On a grayscale ramp as long as you can see between the 100% black and 100% white your OK.
I did notice that the gamma adjustments make somewhat of a difference when viewing the gray ramp especially at low IRE values.
I would leave the iris set to auto as its a great feature to enhance black levels for dark scenes.

1 for auto...anyone else.

I actually use reduced gamma to reduce clipping the red and blue channels.
post #114 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

You can take a look at the very first post in this thread and see the black levels of my projector.

Not really.

Cameras have limited dynamic range and crush the dimmest parts of an image to black.

The archives are full of screenshots showing the inky blacks of early LCD pj's with 400:1 CR.

Noah
post #115 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:

1 for auto...anyone else.

I actually use reduced gamma to reduce clipping the red and blue channels.

How do you know you are clipping? Which end are you clipping - high or low IRE values?
post #116 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How do you know you are clipping? Which end are you clipping - high or low IRE values?

Based on the spears and munsil cal disc's clipping image.
post #117 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There IS reason. It makes black level much easier to calibrate properly and WTW can be in the source.
I can't believe Infocus in 2010 is making the mistake of not passing
WTW and BTB. Especially after Planar made that mistake a couple of years ago with the 8150 and when they released a firmware upgrade to fix it, everyone commented at how much better the PJ looked after the change!
post #118 of 1997 Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM

How is the quality image of SP8602 whith HDTV 1080i?
post #119 of 1997 Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:

When you say you set it to manual, do you mean the selections from 10%-100%? If so, what is yours set at?

After reading the description of "set black levels" I found that it is disabled on mine because I am using HDMI connections. The "set black level" selection is for analog signals ONLY.

How it works?

At 10% iris is in maximum aperture or maximum closure?
post #120 of 1997 Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How it works?

At 10% iris is in maximum aperture or maximum closure?

10% iris is maximum closure. As you start moving up the scale from 10% to 100% you can actually hear the iris opening little by little and start to see the image bet brighter.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page