post #1891 of 1997 Old 02-14-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post

So it looks like I'm having some hand shake issues via HDMI. I fired up my projector to get ready for today's event (I ALWAYS have a superbowl party at my place).

I turn on my HD box and I get nothing?! The projector keeps cycling for a signal for a input. I turn the projector off, and back on and now it's all faint and there's white snow all over the place. Switch to he bluray player, and it's the same thing!

I switch the box to a component run and it works perfect.

I go back to HDMI and it just cycles. I fiddle with the cable and the signal comes and goes!?

Ugh why me...I know that Infocus has handshake issues in the past but I'm thinking it might be the HDMI board? I'll have to try another shorter HDMI cable...

Yes, I had similar problems when I first set it up. Make sure you get the INFOCUS white logo screen or a blue screen, this will ensure the pj is at least displaying a picture and that the bulb is OK.
First, go into the menu and source from AUTO to HDMI 1 (or HDMI 2), this will keep the pj from doing the 30 sec. cycle "looking" for an input. Next, use a short HDMI cable from a known working BD player (its best if you can get something playing on your normal TV setup and then just unhook the HDMI from your TV and stick it in the pj...you want to ensure both the source and cable to the TV are working; PS3s have a hard time handshaking with this pj so try to use a newer dedicated BD player or cable box) hook these to the HDMI 1 input to ensure its working (if not, try HDMI 2; if neither work, your HDMI port could be fried). Next, swap out the short cable for the long one, if you got a picture before and you don't now...your cable won't pass the signal that far...(go to Monoprice or Bluejeans and get a new one...the shorter the better). If you didn't get a picture on either HDMI input, try a different player... If you get a picture, but it flickers off every few seconds...its a BD player/pj handshake issue, usually replacing the player will fix this...anyway, after you get a stable pic with one source, it'll be easier to add a cable box, game system, etc. because you know which HDMI input works best, which cable works best and you can simply unplug the working BD player and hook another source up.

Let us know if none of this works and we can see if something else is the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1997 Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it looks like I'm having some hand shake issues via HDMI. I fired up my projector to get ready for today's event (I ALWAYS have a superbowl party at my place).

I turn on my HD box and I get nothing?! The projector keeps cycling for a signal for a input. I turn the projector off, and back on and now it's all faint and there's white snow all over the place. Switch to he bluray player, and it's the same thing!

I switch the box to a component run and it works perfect.

I go back to HDMI and it just cycles. I fiddle with the cable and the signal comes and goes!?

Ugh why me...I know that Infocus has handshake issues in the past but I'm thinking it might be the HDMI board? I'll have to try another shorter HDMI cable...

Yes, I had similar problems when I first set it up. Make sure you get the INFOCUS white logo screen or a blue screen, this will ensure the pj is at least displaying a picture and that the bulb is OK.
First, go into the menu and source from AUTO to HDMI 1 (or HDMI 2), this will keep the pj from doing the 30 sec. cycle "looking" for an input. Next, use a short HDMI cable from a known working BD player (its best if you can get something playing on your normal TV setup and then just unhook the HDMI from your TV and stick it in the pj...you want to ensure both the source and cable to the TV are working; PS3s have a hard time handshaking with this pj so try to use a newer dedicated BD player or cable box) hook these to the HDMI 1 input to ensure its working (if not, try HDMI 2; if neither work, your HDMI port could be fried). Next, swap out the short cable for the long one, if you got a picture before and you don't now...your cable won't pass the signal that far...(go to Monoprice or Bluejeans and get a new one...the shorter the better). If you didn't get a picture on either HDMI input, try a different player... If you get a picture, but it flickers off every few seconds...its a BD player/pj handshake issue, usually replacing the player will fix this...anyway, after you get a stable pic with one source, it'll be easier to add a cable box, game system, etc. because you know which HDMI input works best, which cable works best and you can simply unplug the working BD player and hook another source up.

Let us know if none of this works and we can see if something else is the culprit.
post #1893 of 1997 Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for taking the time to post it up... I'll try this out tomorrow and I'll let you know if it works or not...
post #1894 of 1997 Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Alright so I'm still having issues. The image is still fuzzy until I fiddle with the HDMI cable. Short or long cable it's the same thing. If I use a component cable there's no issue picking up the signal. It locks and away I go.

It also seems like HDMI 2 port is playing nice with me more of the time then HDMI 1. I'll try again tonight.

I'm going to try and update the firmware to vA77 (I'm currently on vA72).
post #1895 of 1997 Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

If you followed the steps and are certain you have a good cable and source, you may need to send the unit into Infocus for a HDMI port swap...its hard to explain but after troubleshooting for a few days it just finally started working.
post #1896 of 1997 Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Alright well a bit of headway was made. Funny you mentioned that after a few days it just started working. So the signal seems to be weak when I'm in the PS3 menu, but locks just fine if I start a movie or game.

Odd, but I'll take it. This thing just started having handshake issues out of the blue and it scared me quite a bit.
post #1897 of 1997 Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright well a bit of headway was made. Funny you mentioned that after a few days it just started working. So the signal seems to be weak when I'm in the PS3 menu, but locks just fine if I start a movie or game.

Odd, but I'll take it. This thing just started having handshake issues out of the blue and it scared me quite a bit.

Yeah, it only happens with the PS3...nothing else has handshake issues, all this time I though it was my receiver.
post #1898 of 1997 Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 AM

Another one bites the dust.

Night before last the color wheel exploded in 8602. Watching TV and heard a big "Thunk!" and the image went all funny and the projector started vibrating like crazy. On top of that the projector was having other issues, rather noisy, firmware would not update, random firmware crashes. Whee.

So this is the third one I have sent back now, first had something go wrong in the image processor, second one just would not turn on any more. Hopefully #4 will last more than 6 months...

Wonderful chinese quality.
post #1899 of 1997 Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macona View Post

Another one bites the dust.

Night before last the color wheel exploded in 8602. Watching TV and heard a big "Thunk!" and the image went all funny and the projector started vibrating like crazy. On top of that the projector was having other issues, rather noisy, firmware would not update, random firmware crashes. Whee.

So this is the third one I have sent back now, first had something go wrong in the image processor, second one just would not turn on any more. Hopefully #4 will last more than 6 months...

Wonderful chinese quality.

It took 3 trips back to infocus before my 7210 worked reliably and without excessive noise. Maybe third time is a charm for your 8602.
post #1900 of 1997 Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Yikes...I'm knocking on wood for mine. Other then handshake issues, it's been rock solid.
post #1901 of 1997 Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Looks like the new one should be here tuesday. Not too bad. Infocus used to ship them to Projector Doctors who did their exchange and they sat on it for a week before they shipped my replacement. Now they go to a logistics center in TX. It seems they shipped the replacement as soon as they verified I shipped on my end.

Right now I am running on a 24" asus monitor. A small size drop. I am considering replacing the blue polarizer in my Panasonic pt-ae1000u to keep it as a spare.
post #1902 of 1997 Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macona View Post

Looks like the new one should be here tuesday. Not too bad. Infocus used to ship them to Projector Doctors who did their exchange and they sat on it for a week before they shipped my replacement. Now they go to a logistics center in TX. It seems they shipped the replacement as soon as they verified I shipped on my end.

Right now I am running on a 24" asus monitor. A small size drop. I am considering replacing the blue polarizer in my Panasonic pt-ae1000u to keep it as a spare.

The polarizer replacement is usually very cost prohibitive...

I've got 200 hrs. on the 8602 and the image is MUCH better than it was at 40 hrs...blacks have improved dramatically without much sacrifice in whites...ANSI contrast seems improved as well as on/off. Time to get the thing calibrated I guess if I'm going to keep it. Only real complaint is that the focus control is so coarse and "stick-y" that its hard to get the focus perfect, and sharpness is why we all went with DLP, no?
post #1903 of 1997 Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seems to be a lot of reported issues. Maybe you don't hear from the happy campers. Two years in and mine is still running strong, no issues at all. It's probably the most sensible purchase I've ever made.
post #1904 of 1997 Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Best decision I ever made was to sell my RS1 and get the 8602!

One year old and loving the crisp bright image. On my second lamp, first one is in storage with 1500 hrs. New lamp from Mr. Neverbicker currently installed and has settled down from "torch mode".

I really hope that Infocus gets back into HT projectors in the future.
post #1905 of 1997 Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, its almost like getting 3 chip DLP brightness with better sharpness...

I'm trying to NOT pay $200 for a mount, anyone know if the monoprice mounts work?
post #1906 of 1997 Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I started a thread about this pj's image quality shifting for 30-60 minutes every time I fire it up....color, sharpness, contrast, everything...anyone else noticed this on theirs (its flat looking with a bluish tint when I start it up and after an hour it looks like a million bucks!) Short of it is, I run it for an hour before every 2 hr movie I watch. I'm going to be going through blubs like crazy and I'm not sure I like that!
post #1907 of 1997 Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM

I've had no problems or complaints other than a few minor issues.

1. I don't like the auto DI, it over saturates colors in dark scenes. Most of the time I have it fixed or off.
2. The color wheel at 6x is pretty loud in anything other than 24p
3. The PJ expects a 0-255 signal regardless of what is sent to it, so it's pretty hard to get contrast calibrated correctly.
4. The lens controls are fairly flimsy
5. Not the best remote
6. No 3D

Every PJ has strengths and weaknesses and this one is no different. The 8602 has thrown the best picture I've had yet.
post #1908 of 1997 Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 AM

Anyone know how the InFocus SP8604 compares?
post #1909 of 1997 Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsen View Post

Anyone know how the InFocus SP8604 compares?

Pretty sure it's a similar pj for a different market, I've never seen one for sale in the US.
post #1910 of 1997 Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

So, I think most of our HDMI handshake issues are due to using the PS3 with this PJ, I read recently that the HDMI ports on the PS3 are extra hot not extra weak, either way, it makes for a lot of studdering, blinking, etc. on the menu and sometimes in the movie (though I just tried a Panasonic BDP-220 with no better results, in fact, I sent it back). Hey, does anyone get white sparklies on the screen with PS3 menu that go away during the movie...this would seem NOT to be the cable since it goes away...probably just another artifact associated with the PS3 HDMI port.

No mistake, this PJ still takes FOREVER to get an HDMI lock...but it always locks with my DirecTV box...too bad it doesn't look nearly as good as Blu-ray.
post #1911 of 1997 Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

No mistake, this PJ still takes FOREVER to get an HDMI lock...but it always locks with my DirecTV box...too bad it doesn't look nearly as good as Blu-ray.

The reason is probably due to 1080i vs 1080p (blu ray). Much more data in the 1080p stream.

Do you have the same issues playing a DVD outputting 480p on the PS3?
post #1912 of 1997 Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

The reason is probably due to 1080i vs 1080p (blu ray). Much more data in the 1080p stream.

Do you have the same issues playing a DVD outputting 480p on the PS3?

Yeah, in fact, I've recently had problems with the pj staying locked at all on DVD from PS3. I told my wife it doesn't like garbage but it is a little annoying.
post #1913 of 1997 Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Yeah, in fact, I've recently had problems with the pj staying locked at all on DVD from PS3. I told my wife it doesn't like garbage but it is a little annoying.

Yeah, but is your PS3 outputting native 480i/p? Or is it upconverting to 1080p?
post #1914 of 1997 Old 06-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Just wanted to say that I have had the 8602 since March 2010 and the first one I had to send back. But after recieving the other it has had no problems. I replaced my lamp this week, the other had burnt over 3000h So with this new lamp my 8602 has got a new life. Another thing, I want to upgrade to the v.77 firmware but is it still done with the nullmodemcable? Sounds pretty 1990:s to me :/
post #1915 of 1997 Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty sure. Its is lame but it beats sending your pj back in....
post #1916 of 1997 Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM

The lamp died frown.gif
And another thing is that I now have dustblobs.
I have opened up the projector and cleaned the dmd-chip. (Believe me, it was a scary project)
But the problem still exist, a little better but still annoying.
Today I got my new lamp, on warranty, with module this time.
I just want to add that the Infocus support has been very helpful.
post #1917 of 1997 Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

The lamp died frown.gif
And another thing is that I now have dustblobs.
I have opened up the projector and cleaned the dmd-chip. (Believe me, it was a scary project)
But the problem still exist, a little better but still annoying.
Today I got my new lamp, on warranty, with module this time.
I just want to add that the Infocus support has been very helpful.

I have to say that the Infocus support is indeed pretty good. I got mine replaced without much hassle, it had a stuck pixel on the dmd chip. What is the reason for your lamp replacement, did the lamp go bad in a short time or it is somehow related to dust on the chip too? Thanks.
post #1918 of 1997 Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidreamer View Post

I have to say that the Infocus support is indeed pretty good. I got mine replaced without much hassle, it had a stuck pixel on the dmd chip. What is the reason for your lamp replacement, did the lamp go bad in a short time or it is somehow related to dust on the chip too? Thanks.

The lamp died after just a few hours, maybe 15 or so.
I think it was only bad luck and is not related to dust on the dmd chip or elsewhere.
The lamp before had burnt over 3000 hours and is still going.
The dust must have come in after I used high pressured air just before the exchange.
I have pictures on the disassembly of the projector and I will upload them after this weekend if you guys want to see?
post #1919 of 1997 Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I've tried PS3 with 480i and p, and 720p and 1080i/p and I have long handshake issues on all resolutions. I bought a Panasonic BD-220 thinking this would solve it, no dice, still takes forever to lock (20-30 seconds). Sent the Panny back. Thinking about buying an Oppo 93 with dual HDMI outs and running 1 straight to the pj bypassing my Anthem receiver, this should help the handshake times i think. Anyone else using the Oppo 93/95 and have any comments on handshaking (and settings)?
post #1920 of 1997 Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So, RMAd my Monoprice HDMI 2X4 switcher and, it greatly improved the handshake issues on this pj. Still a 10-15 sec. "search" but it locks every time. Just in case anyone is having trouble with a similar setup.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page