Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 1997 Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Comparison: 8602 vs. Sim2 HT3000e (used): So, I got the HT3000e setup and connected this morning, always a chore with a porthole in the back of your room...the auto zoom and focus is soooo nice, too bad almost any pj retailing for under $20K doesn't have this. I'm surprised to find that this unit does indeed have a pronounced color convergence issue (CA) that is worse than my old InFocus SP8602 but its only visible on single pixel test patterns used for focusing. The focus is spot on per-pixel all the way across which makes it appear sharper than the 8602 and this thing is easily as bright as my old 8602 which was a ray of sunlight (both pjs have similar hours). The blacks look similar but hard to tell without total blackout in the room, will report back if anything changes tonight. My wife walked through and said it looked "crisper" than the old one and she usually doesn't notice such things so a big check in the sharpness upgrade department.

I'll put on some Harry Potter and the Dathly Hallows Pt. 2 tonight and see if it wilts under tha black level demands like the 8602 did on this film. With motorized zoom and focus I'm seriously thinking about buying an additional screen in 2.35:1 for the immersion, that is, if the black levels are good enough to be distracting. I look for a small but noticeable improvement from 8602.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1997 Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Comparison: 8602 vs. Sim2 HT3000e (used): So, I got the HT3000e setup and connected this morning, always a chore with a porthole in the back of your room...the auto zoom and focus is soooo nice, too bad almost any pj retailing for under $20K doesn't have this. .

Don't all the JVC's have this?
post #1983 of 1997 Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Don't all the JVC's have this?

He's talking about DLP units.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #1984 of 1997 Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

He's talking about DLP units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Comparison: 8602 vs. Sim2 HT3000e (used): So, I got the HT3000e setup and connected this morning, always a chore with a porthole in the back of your room...the auto zoom and focus is soooo nice, too bad almost any pj retailing for under $20K doesn't have this. .

I don't see where he specified 'DLP' in this statement.

Anyway, the cheapest JVC HT PJ does this for around $3k.
post #1985 of 1997 Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see where he specified 'DLP' in this statement.

Anyway, the cheapest JVC HT PJ does this for around $3k.

Yes but even still I think he was referring to DLP units. The PQ will be better on the Sim2 and the JVC is more expensive. Why opt for a lesser performing projector for more money?

post #1986 of 1997 Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PQ will be better on the Sim2 and the JVC is more expensive. Why opt for a lesser performing projector for more money?

It's all trade offs with PJ tech's, so that's subjective of course.

There's NO question the JVC will smoke any DLP in contrast and blacks.

The newer JVC's are pretty sharp too, even according to some previous SP8602 owner(s) that switched to JVC and commented (in this thread) that they will not go back to the 8602 or most any DLP.

And yes, the JVC's also have the power zoom/focus which no DLP has at the price point of the lower end JVC's.

And lets not forget that the JVC is more expensive 'cos it's new, with warranty, which the Sim2 mentioned is NOT. Compare a used JVC w/o warranty and you'll be at the same price point.

That being said I'm a DLP fan and own a DLP, but it's gotten to the point with JVC that when I'm ready for an upgrade in a year or 2 it'll probably be a JVC, unless an awesome LED DLP comes out with excellent contrast/black performance (LED modulation) within the same price point as a comparable JVC. It's sad, but DLP hasn't gone anywhere for at least 6 years+.

Things that worry me with JVC's are the premature lamp dimming issues, which they appear to have nicked, fear of optical block failures just past warranty (also seem to have gotten better), and significant calibration drift as the lamp (or optical block?) ages (mostly gamma drift I think). Well see in a year or 2.
post #1987 of 1997 Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's all trade offs with PJ tech's, so that's subjective of course.

There's NO question the JVC will smoke any DLP in contrast and blacks.

The newer JVC's are pretty sharp too, even according to some previous SP8602 owner(s) that switched to JVC and commented (in this thread) that they will not go back to the 8602 or most any DLP.

And yes, the JVC's also have the power zoom/focus which no DLP has at the price point of the lower end JVC's.

And lets not forget that the JVC is more expensive 'cos it's new, with warranty, which the Sim2 mentioned is NOT. Compare a used JVC w/o warranty and you'll be at the same price point.

That being said I'm a DLP fan and own a DLP, but it's gotten to the point with JVC that when I'm ready for an upgrade in a year or 2 it'll probably be a JVC, unless an awesome LED DLP comes out with excellent contrast/black performance (LED modulation) within the same price point as a comparable JVC. It's sad, but DLP hasn't gone anywhere for at least 6 years+.

Things that worry me with JVC's are the premature lamp dimming issues, which they appear to have nicked, fear of optical block failures just past warranty (also seem to have gotten better), and significant calibration drift as the lamp (or optical block?) ages (mostly gamma drift I think). Well see in a year or 2.

Not all DLPs will be "smoked". In fact something like the Sim2 Lumis will have more intra-scene contrast in most situations. My Planar PD8150 had amazing subjective contrast capabilities when viewed side by side against a JVC (which I've done). The JVCs are not as sharp as most single chip .95" DMD DLP projectors. I've owned most of them. The Sharp XV-Z30000 has powered zoom/focus and lens memory that's well within the JVC's price range. The LEDs are still held back by the chip and light path design. I've owned an LED unit (Runco Q750i clone) and even with the LED dimming DI it was still a bit behind the Planar PD8150 I had which is about as good as DLP get's for contrast (other than some Sim2 models). The LED units aren't going to fare better in the contrast department until there are new DLP DMDs that are better with contrast. After owning and using a JVC DLA-X55R currently (which has an excellent lens sample and convergence) there are still several things that I don't think it can do particularly well. Motion, ANSI contrast, bright corners (which JVC has under control fairly well but not perfect), brightness uniformity, 3D, frame interpolation, and sharpness compared to a similarly priced DLP unit (Runco LS-3 for instance) are all things that a DLP projector can do better that's within the JVC's price range. But, yes, the JVC's do have great on/off contrast. You pick and choose your poisons with front projection. If you value straight on/off contrast performance and can deal with the deficiencies that JVC projectors have over DLP then go ahead and buy one. I'm coping right now but I do often miss my PD8150 because I know it excelles in many areas over my X55R. The high native on/off is addicting which is the only reason why I don't still have my PD8150. The Sim2 HT3000E shares most of the same benefits the PD8150 has over the JVC.

post #1988 of 1997 Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But, yes, the JVC's do have great on/off contrast. You pick and choose your poisons with front projection. If you value straight on/off contrast performance and can deal with the deficiencies that JVC projectors have over DLP then go ahead and buy one. I'm coping right now but I do often miss my PD8150 because I know it excelles in many areas over my X55R. The high native on/off is addicting which is the only reason why I don't still have my PD8150. The Sim2 HT3000E shares most of the same benefits the PD8150 has over the JVC.

Yes, that's why I said, 'trade offs".

The PD8150 needs a DI to get good contrast/blacks. I don't like DI's. JVC's can of course blow it away natively. ANSI contrast is a week point for LCOS. I'm well aware of the pros/cons of each tech, hence my comment that it's subjective trade offs.

I have to be realistic. I have what many would consider a lowly Mits HC3800, but I got it dialed in pretty good on a smallish negative gain gray screen. The only improvements would be better on/off, and sharper (optics, chip size). For the better on/off the only option with DLP is DI. Not into it. And it doesn't appear anything is happening in that department for DLP in the near future.

That being said, what I have is better than most commercial movie houses, and at the worst matches the best commercial theaters. So I think about that as I patiently wait it out for a couple of years.
post #1989 of 1997 Old 11-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

Reading the manual, i understand that i can modify the Dynamic Black through pc using RS232 port. The manual says that Dynamic black could be selected in 4 positions accesing to the SP8602 through pc. Is it right? Someone has checked it?

Thanks

post #1990 of 1997 Old 03-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Liked: 10
Here is the Service Code:

Please do these Quickly: Power down, then Up Down Up Down if you not come into the Service Menu, you must hit the Power Button again or the Projector will be Shutdown. Do this within 5 Seconds

Optics Enginner Settings - Access inoperable!
Lamp Info - Access inoperable!
Fan Operation - Access inoperable!

Sorry, my English is bad :)
post #1991 of 1997 Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know if this code works on all InFocus models specifically for the IN82 or IN83?

post #1992 of 1997 Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM

I don´t no. Give it a try!

It was a pure coincidence that I've found the code.

Sorry, my English is bad :)
post #1993 of 1997 Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 AM

New color wheel needed

Hey all,

Does anyone know a supplier for a new color wheel, preferable in Europe?
A glass of the wheel came loose and shattered during operation.

Thx in advance
post #1994 of 1997 Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Liked: 12
Why buy a whole new one, just superglue it back together.

Just kidding... $157 shipped from ebay seller "it-china-e-shopping-malls"
Listed as "new color filter for InFocus SP8602 color wheel, original SP8604 colour wheel"
Keltus likes this.
post #1995 of 1997 Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Neverbicker View Post
Why buy a whole new one, just superglue it back together.

Just kidding... $157 shipped from ebay seller "it-china-e-shopping-malls"
Listed as "new color filter for InFocus SP8602 color wheel, original SP8604 colour wheel"
Cheers man
post #1996 of 1997 Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Odd failure mode?

Glad this thread still has some life, it's a damn nice projector!

I have been using mine (bought used with 2,600 hours on it) for about 6 months, new lamp, about 400 hours. Been working great- did a cal at about 50 hours, image is beautiful!

This weekend I tuned it on, after a few seconds the fan sped up as it normally does when the lamp strikes. But the lamp did not come on and after a short while the fan slowed down and then sped up again, repeating the cycle. It did this a few more times and I unplugged it.

The green power LED flashed normally during this period, and neither the lamp or wrench LED lit. So maybe it is stuck initiating (booting) for some reason. Anyone experience this?

Also, has anyone disassembled one of these and can offer some tips?

Thanks,
Murray
post #1997 of 1997 Old Today, 10:45 AM

Ah, it was only the lamp...

I determined by trying the old lamp I have that the projector is fine, the new lamp won't strike for some reason. So just ordered another... Odd that the OEM Osram replacement lamp that was installed gave no warning of failure, looks fine, and the projector lamp LED did not light.

I found it was easy to open up the projector- it's really a very nicely built unit, full size fans, solid construction, good layout. And I also found many service parts are available for it: infocus.dex.com, login as guest and select the SP8602
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus , In Focus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page