Suddenly Dim picture from Sony VPL-VW60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Sony VPL-VW60 very suddenly lost significant brightness literally overnight--one day it was fine, even watchable with plenty of ambient light in the room to interfere, and then the next day it is totally washed out by any ambient light and not even really watchable with the room is pitch dark.

I've tried adjusting all the setting in the menu to improve the brightness, but to no avail.

The lamp has only 1250 hours on it; I replaced the air filter when prompted about 30 days ago.

Question for the forum is, should I conclude I simply need a lamp replacement, or could some larger issue with the projector be at play? I thought that "fade" on the lamp would be more gradual than an over-night change, hence why I am suspicious. I am still under warranty.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That would be my guess. I din't even get 1000 hours from my original Peal lamp.
It did the same, abrupt change in brightness.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Rapid-onset AMD?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Lamp just put my third in my pearl last night for the same reason. I have 2 lamps with under 1000 hours just way too dim for my 10' screen they do look OK in high lamp but I lost alot of contrast detail.

www.NastyPerformance.com

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd bet lamp. Sudden drops, though more rare, can happen.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Like everybody else has said, it sounds like it's time for a new bulb. In the mean time, you can probably get a little more output from your current bulb by maxing out all three color gains and possibly the bias settings in the user menu. At least minimizing them (taking the slider all the way to -30) worked for me to reduce brightness on a new bulb. Cranking them to +30 should have the opposite effect.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
Old 02-13-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Definitely a temp fix, but I wouldn't expect much added help from the sounds of it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Well i think that you had to replace the lamp one way or another. The lamp rates are now pretty cheap under $300. try out this link http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/b.../VPL-VW60.html
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs-LG View Post

Well i think that you had to replace the lamp one way or another. The lamp rates are now pretty cheap under $300. try out this link http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/b.../VPL-VW60.html

No, talk to Jason at AVS:

Jason C. Turk
Sales, Installations and ISF Calibrations
585-671-2968
jason@avscience.com

AVS has a better price and their service is outstanding. I just picked up my second SONY OEM VW-60 lamp from them (Our VPL-VW60 serves as our TV as well so it gets used )
Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs-LG View Post

FYI we have a better price than that and by buying from us you support the AVSForum.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:14 PM

I have a four year plus VPL-VW60. Use primarily for movies and xbox gaming. I have no idea how many hours are on the lamp or if i need to clean filters etc, yet the image seems a lot dimmer than when new. How can I tell how many hours are on the lamp?

thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I found this.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your lamp dimming.

Wanted to say that after reading Tom Huffmans' Guide to Color Calibration where he recommends a light meter for certain measurements, I decided to buy one. It was only about $20 shipped. It reads light output from the projector with ease and accoding to it's manual... it's very accurate. (He he he.)

I think it's a great thing to have, when you put in a new bulb you can throw a 100 IRE or test patterns and record it's original light output and with that you may have a good idea or when to replace the bulb or exactly how much power it's lost.

I had a 900 hour bulb in my VW60 last week and it measured low so I put in one of 2 spares I had in waiting and light output doubled.

I could have lived with the old bulb on "high" as that gives me another 3rd or 150%, but I can't take the higher fan noise unless I build a hush box.

Edit- Here's the one I bought. If you click "other sellers" you will see it for $13 + $7 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Meter-LX...4938992&sr=8-5

Divide it's reading by 10.76 and multiply by screen gain and you have foot lamberts.

If my bulb gets to half it's original brightness then it gets swapped no matter what the current hours reading is. And trying to figure this out without simple numbers is not good for me.

-Brian
Old 05-09-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpomeroy View Post

I have a four year plus VPL-VW60. Use primarily for movies and xbox gaming. I have no idea how many hours are on the lamp or if i need to clean filters etc, yet the image seems a lot dimmer than when new. How can I tell how many hours are on the lamp?

thanks!

It's listed in the menus, maybe under settings or that one that looks like a toolbox.

-Brian
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Remember, the 2000 hours is an average so some last longer and some dont last as long. If i remember correctly, Runco used to and may still do this, rate their bulbs around 1500 hours. When i first asked why they were using lower life bulbs, i was told that they are the same as everyone else but at around 1500 hours they become ineffective and should be changed. On the other hand, i know people who are running their bulbs after the 2000 hours and are getting 10% of original light (i am exaggerating) from the bulb but love it because their black levels are insane
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM

Sorry to resurect an old thread. My bulb has less than 1k hours on it - BUT it's going on 7 years old. I would swear it's half as bright as original - but that might just be bad memory. Do bulbs dim with less than 1k hours from just getting older?

I did some research. There are completely 3rd party options, original bulbs in a third party housing and completely original/sony bulbs and housing. Seems to run $100 / $200 / $300.... I wouldn't buy the all 3rd party ($100) but is it worth an extra $100 or so (going from $200-$300) to get the sony housing?

AVS has all original (i think) listed for $309 (http://shop.avscience.com/Sony-Projector-Lamp--LMPH200_p_24.html)

lastly, how hard is it to install? I have my projector ceiling mounted (upside down) but no housing. Will I be able to change the bulb without taking the unit down?

Thanks all!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Without a light meter, you have no idea how much brightness your projector lamp has lost. It's fairly easy to change lamps. Personally, I'd get an OEM lamp - you never know what you are getting with 3rd party or after market lamps.

Buying a new $ 300 lamp for your 3K / 4K / 5K ( or more ) projector, is like buying new tires for your sports car. People freak out at $ 300 for some reason, for a lamp. Would you freak out about buying new tires for your Corvette Stingray, and put generic retreads on it??

A new lamp will make your projector seem brand new again. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Here's a handy video showing how to change the lamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3EeG22snmU

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw60 Home Cinema Projector