Sharp 12k vs 20k Lamp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a bunch of searching, but didn't find anything on this so hopefully somebody has some info.

I currently have a Sharp 12k MkII, and the lamp is aging. I will likely upgrade to a used Sharp 20k before too long, but I'd like to have a spare lamp around just in case. Ideally said spare bulb would work in both my current 12k and upcoming 20k.

I erroneously assumed when I bought the 12k that the 20k shared the same lamp, but that does not appear to be the case. The 12k manual lists the lamp specs as "270 W SHP" while the 20k manual lists the lamp as "220 W SHP", so it appears as though the 12k lamp is 50 W brighter than the 20k lamp. The part numbers are different as well. In shopping around I've found that the 20k lamp is $70 cheaper than the 12k lamp.

So here's my question - Could I buy the cheaper 20k lamp and use it in the 12k if necessary? I don't mind loosing some brightness as I'm sure a new 220 W lamp will still be brighter than my old 270 W lamp. I'm assuming because the projector chassis are the same that the lamp housings will be the same as well. Of course we all know what happens when we assume...

Conversely, is it possible to put the 270 W lamp into the 20k and gain some brightness? This seems riskier as the heat dissipation for the 12k is listed as 1,400 BTU/hr against only 1,200 BTU/hr for the 20k. Also some have commented that the fan in the 20k is quieter than the 12k, possibly due to simply lowering the RPM.

Thanks for any info-

Yellobutt inc.
Wakeboarding, Kneeboarding, Hijinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NOPE! Don't even go there!

I've swapped lamps before, I've had 5 Sharps including yours, not going to happen on these models.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response, mbonikow.

Could you elaborate a little bit? When you say "not going to happen" what is that based on? Have you tried a 20k lamp in a 12k or vice versa?

Yellobutt inc.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Well this is an interesting read. I recently picked up two sharp 12k mkII's b/c I thought I read that the bulb was the same as the 20k. I have since listed the 20k for sale and will just use the 12k so not a big deal to me that the bulbs aren't interchangeable but interesting nonetheless.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, did not try it. I've owned 12K mkI and II series not 20K as well as smaller DT-500. Those lamps are not standard UHP, they are Sharps specific SHP, made by UShi if I remember correctly which seems to be older technology used in the early 2K on variety of models. When I was looking at 20k that uses a newer lamp similar to DT series, which is physically smaller, although the casing might be the same in the 20k and 12k.
You can do anything in life, but from my experience the risk/reward ratio on melting up the 20K unit just does not add up.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Wouldn't any 270W SHP bulb work?

Couldn't you just take the bulb out of a different projector housing with a 270W SHP bulb and put it in a 12K housing? Or are there different shapes?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonikow View Post

Nope, did not try it. I've owned 12K mkI and II series not 20K as well as smaller DT-500. Those lamps are not standard UHP, they are Sharps specific SHP, made by UShi if I remember correctly which seems to be older technology used in the early 2K on variety of models. When I was looking at 20k that uses a newer lamp similar to DT series, which is physically smaller, although the casing might be the same in the 20k and 12k.
You can do anything in life, but from my experience the risk/reward ratio on melting up the 20K unit just does not add up.

Sorry to be away from this thread for a while. Crazy weekend for me and no time at work today.

mbonikow - O.K. So you didn't actually try it. Just to be clear, I'm mostly thinking of trying the 20k lamp in the 12k (220 W lamp in 270 W Projector) so the risk of damage should be minimal. I only mentioned the inverse in case someone had tried it.

Yellobutt inc.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post

Wouldn't any 270W SHP bulb work?

Couldn't you just take the bulb out of a different projector housing with a 270W SHP bulb and put it in a 12K housing? Or are there different shapes?

Re-basing a lamp has been done, but I'm not of the opinion that it's worth it. Better to get the OEM lamp and housing, IMHO. It doesn't really save much money, a new lamp is a new lamp.

I'd just ideally like to have a lamp which would work in both projectors.

I'm leaning toward buying the 20k lamp and trying it in the 12k.

Yellobutt inc.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Well this is an interesting read. I recently picked up two sharp 12k mkII's b/c I thought I read that the bulb was the same as the 20k. I have since listed the 20k for sale and will just use the 12k so not a big deal to me that the bulbs aren't interchangeable but interesting nonetheless.

I'm quite the post whore tonight. Three in a row.

Let me get this straight - you're selling the 20k and keeping the 12k?

Seems a little backward by the standards of this forum. Not that I'm questioning you, I'm sure you have good reason.

Yellobutt inc.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post

I'm quite the post whore tonight. Three in a row.

Let me get this straight - you're selling the 20k and keeping the 12k?

Seems a little backward by the standards of this forum. Not that I'm questioning you, I'm sure you have good reason.

I bought the 20k mainly for something to watch sports on and play xbox so I could save the bulb and calibration on the RS35 for movie watching. I use the RS35 for movies and needed something kind of cheap I wouldn't feel bad about using for video games. I was originally going to pick up an Optoma HD20 or an Infocus X10 but saw the 20K for sale and justified the doubled price b/c the 20k is such a good projector. Then I saw the 12k mkII refurbs go on sale for $399 and just couldn't pass them up. Now I have four projectors in the house and only one room to use them in. Since all of the games I play are rendered in 720p, the 12k meets my needs fine and the extra resolution on the 20k is wasted. For viewing where higher contrast is desired, I'll use the RS35 anyway. Plus, having two 12k's leaves me the option of 3d at some point...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page