Pick me a new JVC projector! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 05-08-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About seven years ago I was very active on this forum, which helped me researched and build my home theater. For video I bought a 3-chip JVC DLA-HX1 from the guys at AV Science, and a 100" Stewart Firehawk screen. I got a TAW DigiLink SDI DVD player, built a HTPC with a Immersive H3D scaler. All in all, it was a pretty nice system, although I shudder to think now how much I spent on it. I stopped visiting the forum and watched my HX1 for 988 hours in ignorant bliss, unaware of what the "new" projectors could do. Its worked well, although often the HX1 is temperamental and won't strike the lamp when I try to start it, usually when I have guests over...

Then this weekend I did something bad- I bought a Blu Ray player. This $200 device has brought all the shortcomings to light in my one-time killer home theater. From the DVI cable that won't pass 1080p to the projector that won't accept 24 Hz video, to my Adcom 830 surround preamp that won't handle the new codecs (I decided to use analog 6ch from the player's decoder).

So naturally I started looking at what's out there. I like (maybe "familiar with" is the better word) JVC DILA, so am leaning that way. I work in TV so the importance of a 3-chip imaging device has been pounded into my head, so I want that too. Looking over all the models currently on JVC's website, they all look exactly the same... with the exception of the $175,000 4k projector, they are ALL based on .7 inch, 3-chip 1920x1080 DILA architecture. And compared to my HX1's measly 800:1 contrast ratio, even the cheapest machine's 15,000:1 seems mind-blowing. And the HX1 DID make a pretty good picture. They all seem to have the same processor, lamp, and accept the correct signals.

So what's the difference? Unfortunately in the past 7 years I've assumed even more expensive hobbys (airplanes) so I really don't WANT to spend $10,000 on a projector again, especially considering how impressive the cheaper ones look on paper compared to what I'm used to. (I'd rather spend that 10k on new flat-panel avionics in my Glasair

I saw the special on the top of this forum about B-stock RS35's. I could do that, but that's the difference between that, and say, a RS20 for sale by a forum member on ebay? (outside of the hours of course). When I read the specification pages on these 1080p projectors, I see a lot of things repeated.

Bring me up to speed!

bob z

Ramblings of a TV News Chaser:
www.tvuplink.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-08-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if you are trying to save a buck get the RS25 over the RS35. Will you tell the difference? not likely.

Even a used $1500 RS1 will demolish your HX1. So unless you like massive depreciation on the items you buy the value option is something used like an RS20 or RS10
post #3 of 42 Old 05-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat_uplinker View Post

About seven years ago I was very active on this forum, which helped me researched and build my home theater. For video I bought a 3-chip JVC DLA-HX1 from the guys at AV Science, and a 100" Stewart Firehawk screen. I got a TAW DigiLink SDI DVD player, built a HTPC with a Immersive H3D scaler. All in all, it was a pretty nice system, although I shudder to think now how much I spent on it. I stopped visiting the forum and watched my HX1 for 988 hours in ignorant bliss, unaware of what the "new" projectors could do. Its worked well, although often the HX1 is temperamental and won't strike the lamp when I try to start it, usually when I have guests over...

Then this weekend I did something bad- I bought a Blu Ray player. This $200 device has brought all the shortcomings to light in my one-time killer home theater. From the DVI cable that won't pass 1080p to the projector that won't accept 24 Hz video, to my Adcom 830 surround preamp that won't handle the new codecs (I decided to use analog 6ch from the player's decoder).

So naturally I started looking at what's out there. I like (maybe "familiar with" is the better word) JVC DILA, so am leaning that way. I work in TV so the importance of a 3-chip imaging device has been pounded into my head, so I want that too. Looking over all the models currently on JVC's website, they all look exactly the same... with the exception of the $175,000 4k projector, they are ALL based on .7 inch, 3-chip 1920x1080 DILA architecture. And compared to my HX1's measly 800:1 contrast ratio, even the cheapest machine's 15,000:1 seems mind-blowing. And the HX1 DID make a pretty good picture. They all seem to have the same processor, lamp, and accept the correct signals.

So what's the difference? Unfortunately in the past 7 years I've assumed even more expensive hobbys (airplanes) so I really don't WANT to spend $10,000 on a projector again, especially considering how impressive the cheaper ones look on paper compared to what I'm used to. (I'd rather spend that 10k on new flat-panel avionics in my Glasair

I saw the special on the top of this forum about B-stock RS35's. I could do that, but that's the difference between that, and say, a RS20 for sale by a forum member on ebay? (outside of the hours of course). When I read the specification pages on these 1080p projectors, I see a lot of things repeated.

Bring me up to speed!

I broke down and just purchase one of the B-stock RS35's. I own an RS2 and decided I wanted to see what all the excitement was about. I will be comparing the two head-to-head when I get it and the one I believe is the better value will be staying (currently I am betting on the RS2). I will admit that the colors seem a bit out on the RS2, but all-in-all the picture is excellent. The one thing in the favor of the RS35 is the 3 year warranty (or 4 year if you buy it with an amex card). When you buy something used chances are their won't be much if any kind of warranty. These things are expensive to fix. That said, JVC's seem to be very reliable. My experience with my RS (Pioneer fPJ1) has been flawless.

John
post #4 of 42 Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bring me up to speed!

A used RS20 would probably be the best deal for you. Brand New RS20's on eBay are still going for $4200-4700. At that price I would spend the extra money and just get a B-Stock RS35 from AVS. I just upgraded from a Pioneer FPJ1 (JVC RS2) to a JVC RS20 and I think it was a big improvement in my setup. Brighter picture,Better depth,Accurate colors etc.. Do you plan on this projector lasting you another 5+ years? If so the RS35 might be a good investment for you if you have the money. To bad you just missed the RS10/20 closeout sale AVS recently had. Those prices were amazing!

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #5 of 42 Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

So unless you like massive depreciation on the items you buy the value option is something used like an RS20 or RS10

Believe me, if he built a fast-glass airplane like the Glasair and put glass avionics in it to boot, he doesn't mind depreciation!

Besides depreciation, very nice airplane, BTW. I'm jealous. Wish I could afford THAT hobby!
post #6 of 42 Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If money is no object, then go for the 35.

I was extremely happy with my Mitsu hc3000 and the Epson 400, until I upgraded to the JVC RS2. JVC makes darn good products for the money. You do get what you paid for.

I do agree with Tryg that high end PJ depreciates fast, worse than the P&G stock from Thursday's sell off.

Good luck - you can't be wrong with a JVC product.
post #7 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know I can't go wrong with a JVC, and will be impressed with whatever I buy (considering what I'm upgrading from), but I still can't see what is the difference between the range of JVC products, other than contrast ratio? I remember when I bought the HX1 there was a wide range of resolutions, lumens, etc. You could see why one cost more than another. With the current crop, the specs are generally the same. What makes one twice the price of the other?

bob z

www.tvuplink.net/
post #8 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know I can't go wrong with a JVC, and will be impressed with whatever I buy (considering what I'm upgrading from), but I still can't see what is the difference between the range of JVC products, other than contrast ratio? I remember when I bought the HX1 there was a wide range of resolutions, lumens, etc. You could see why one cost more than another. With the current crop, the specs are generally the same. What makes one twice the price of the other?

Do you have a Home Theater store near you that carries JVC? If so go demo them and see if you can see the difference between the higher end JVC's and the lower end JVC's..

My First Home Theater

post #9 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 02:35 AM

I thought about the RS10 and RS20 a year ago. Eventually went for the RS10 (because of the tad more brightness - 120" screen) and didn 't regret it for one second.
I work in tv-business, and couple of my collegues have an RS10 too, including professional colour-correctors and directors for broadcast-tv. They all are very happy and can perfectly live with the colours. (FYI: the 20/25/35 have a more advanced colour control-CMS, that 's aside from the contrast the biggest difference. But the 10/15 can be NEAR perfect when professionaly calibrated)
And for the blacks: even my RS10 is blacker then what I see in 'real' theatres, so it would be very difficult to get disappointed. In fact, the complete movie-experience (audio/video) is better at my home then in real cinema.

Bottom of line: RS10/15/20/25/35 you wouldn 't be disappointed with ANY of them. I 'm glad I saved the bucks, although I had the extra money.
post #10 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambiman View Post

I thought about the RS10 and RS20 a year ago. Eventually went for the RS10 (because of the tad more brightness - 120" screen) and didn 't regret it for one second.
I work in tv-business, and couple of my collegues have an RS10 too, including professional colour-correctors and directors for broadcast-tv. They all are very happy and can perfectly live with the colours. (FYI: the 20/25/35 have a more advanced colour control-CMS, that 's aside from the contrast the biggest difference. But the 10/15 can be NEAR perfect when professionaly calibrated)
And for the blacks: even my RS10 is blacker then what I see in 'real' theatres, so it would be very difficult to get disappointed. In fact, the complete movie-experience (audio/video) is better at my home then in real cinema.

Bottom of line: RS10/15/20/25/35 you wouldn 't be disappointed with ANY of them. I 'm glad I saved the bucks, although I had the extra money.

even a $2k panny ae4000 will give you a better picture then a commercial theater! Blacks are horrible in commercial theaters. I just went last night to the movies because my friends dragged me and the PQ was terrible!

My First Home Theater

post #11 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
RS15 is the base model.
RS25 adds color management allowing more precise calibration.
RS35 is the same as RS25 but parts are "hand selected" and "matched".

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #12 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
He already bought an RS-35, YESTERDAY...,
post #13 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 PM

You know more than us or you confuse nohjy with topic-starter.
post #14 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I wouldn't get a JVC without a CMS. I had an RS1 and had to buy an outboard CMS to be happy. Now I have an RS20. So I wouldn't consider the RS15 or RS10 or RS2 or RS1
post #15 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

RS15 is the base model.
RS25 adds color management allowing more precise calibration.
RS35 is the same as RS25 but parts are "hand selected" and "matched".

This is EXACTLY the kind of information I am looking for, thank you!

So it looks like the 25 a real step up from the 15, but the 35 is a little more questionable! How does a RS20 fit in? I'm watching one on ebay being sold by a forum member.

PS- No, I have not bought anything yet. That was another person who posted about buying the B-stock 35.

bob z

www.tvuplink.net/
post #16 of 42 Old 05-09-2010, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it looks like the 25 a real step up from the 15, but the 35 is a little more questionable! How does a RS20 fit in? I'm watching one on ebay being sold by a forum member.

PS- No, I have not bought anything yet. That was another person who posted about buying the B-stock 35.

I think the 25 is a 20 with frame interpolation. Little more cr? But not enough to notice. I have an RS20 and am very please with the gamma curve I was able to get. LOTS of depth to the picture. And, no more neon greens from my former RS1.
post #17 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Theres not to much of a difference from the RS20/25.. Mostly frame interpolation. I haven't seen the 35 but from what I have a read on the forums it really is a great projector! If I had the money to spend on the B-Stock RS35 from AVS and I didn't plan on upgrading for another 4-5 years I would get the RS35.. Especially if you buy your RS20 on eBay which is going to be over $4k.

If your not in a rush you can wait to see what comes out this year at CEDIA..

My First Home Theater

post #18 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you want top grade performance and a killer dealer to boot, the RS35 B-stocks we got might be the ticket. They MSRP for $10000 but are on special (limited quantity) for $5699 including free QC and ISF calibration.

Just a thought...
post #19 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM

i would just get the R35 B stock!
post #20 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is a lot more to it:

RS15:
Max 32000:1 Contrast
1000 Lumens Max @ D65
NO CMS
Not THX Certified

RS25:
Max 50000:1 Contrast
900 Lumens Max @ D65
CMS
THX Certified

RS35:
Max 70000:1 Contrast
900 Lumens Max @ D65
CMS
THX Certified
Hand Picked Optics/Chips

All above have Clearmotion (FI). The RS10/20 don't have FI, but are similar spec to the 15/25. Those also don't have (in theory) as good an optical system as the new RSx5 series...
post #21 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 PM

How is the B stock RS 35 different than a standard unit?
post #22 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan550 View Post

A/V Science has landed a limited selection of RS35 B-Stock projectors. B-stock means they could be refurbished, JVC rep demos, trade show pieces, etc... All will have some hours but not many (we will not know how many each have). All are treated as new in regards with warranty thus will include the full 3 year warranty. There is a VERY limited number so these are a first come first serve. All sales are final!
post #23 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan550 View Post

As per the post, they are either refurbished, demo models, rep samples, etc... Basically they are not sealed box from the factory but rather repacked and may have some hours on them.
post #24 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been pondering whether or not to buy one of the B stock RS35's and peddle my RS20. Seams like a pretty good deal to me and a no-brainer if someone is in the market for a projector. I'd have already bought one, but my plan was to keep the RS20 till I could move to an LED machine in another year or two. I also don't want to get stuck with the RS20 and not be able to sell it, or have to give it away. I’ve already got a VP50pro I can’t seam to get rid of.

Decisions, decisions.... gotta love this A/V addiction.
post #25 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

I've been pondering whether or not to buy one of the B stock RS35's and peddle my RS20. Seams like a pretty good deal to me and a no-brainer if someone is in the market for a projector. I'd have already bought one, but my plan was to keep the RS20 till I could move to an LED machine in another year or two. I also don't want to get stuck with the RS20 and not be able to sell it, or have to give it away. I've already got a VP50pro I can't seam to get rid of.

Decisions, decisions.... gotta love this A/V addiction.

Worst case you have 2 JVC projectors. Not such a bad thing.
post #26 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LED projectors? Interesting. I can "suffer" with my HX1 for another year or two if there is something significantly better on the horizon.

bob z

www.tvuplink.net/
post #27 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Not only is LED around the corner, but 3-D projectors will be out in the next 6 months. Not to mention that the Panasonic's and Epson's are getting closer to the JVC level of perfomance every year. Prices are going down and performance is going up. I cancelled my order for the RS-35 B for these reasons. I just can't justify it with all the new technology coming in the next year or so. I really love my FPJ1 so I guess I can wait!
post #28 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Not only is LED around the corner, but 3-D projectors will be out in the next 6 months. Not to mention that the Panasonic's and Epson's are getting closer to the JVC level of perfomance every year. Prices are going down and performance is going up. I cancelled my order for the RS-35 B for these reasons. I just can't justify it with all the new technology coming in the next year or so. I really love my FPJ1 so I guess I can wait!

I recently demoed the Epson and I was really shocked on how good it was for the money. I haven't seen a panny yet! I did a side by side comparison with the Epson and JVC RS15. The JVC clearly won with better depth and blacks etc.. but the Epson held its own and if your on a budget I would consider it. I would probably just go with a panasonic if I planned on upgrading projectors in the next 6 months or so till the new 2010 models hit the market. That way you won't lose to much money when you go to sell it. Personally I never even bothered with LCD's because of the dust blob issues they have. Your not just paying for better picture quality with the JVC's but also better build quality,sealed light path,optics etc..

My First Home Theater

post #29 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I am looking forward to seeing if JVC releases a LED projector and a new big brother to the RS35.. Its been talked about that they will be releasing a 3D projector. 3D doesn't interest me so keeping my fingers crossed that they release a LED pj.

Does anyone think they will keep the RS35 in the 2010 model lineup?

My First Home Theater

post #30 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I recently demoed the Epson and I was really shocked on how good it was for the money. I haven't seen a panny yet! I did a side by side comparison with the Epson and JVC RS15. The JVC clearly won with better depth and blacks etc.. but the Epson held its own and if your on a budget I would consider it. I would probably just go with a panasonic if I planned on upgrading projectors in the next 6 months or so till the new 2010 models hit the market. That way you won't lose to much money when you go to sell it. Personally I never even bothered with LCD's because of the dust blob issues they have. Your not just paying for better picture quality with the JVC's but also better build quality,sealed light path,optics etc..

You're also getting no dynamic iris with the JVC. The Epson is generally regarded as a little better than the Panasonic. Each have strengths and weaknesses, but in general the Epson wins by a little.

And, OMG, don't forget you're paying for not having to exchange your projector 6 times!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page