Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Excited will be demoing the 9000 tomorrow night on a SI black diamond 2.7gain Screen.
Cant wait....

I'll be interested to hear your impressions, I've been trying to decide between the 9000 and the 9700ub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM

I think that the 9000 would be the winner between those two projectors. When you say the 9700, I am assuming you mean the Espon
post #363 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

I think that the 9000 would be the winner between those two projectors. When you say the 9700, I am assuming you mean the Espon

I guess the question is whether or not it's $2500 better? I know it's somewhat apples to oranges but I'm in Los Angeles and can't seem to find anywhere to view either one...
post #364 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I guess the question is whether or not it's $2500 better?

Unfortunately in Home Theater you cant ask that question. Its a reasonable question and I ask it myself but in HT, a 5% improvement in video or audio can cost you hundreds to thousands. So the question isnt is it worth $2500 in additional quality, the question is how much are you will to pay for the quality of the Mitsubishi
post #365 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM

I guess part of the question is whether using that saved money on something like a lumagen, oppo 93, etc, would even the equation...
post #366 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinla View Post

I guess the question is whether or not it's $2500 better? I know it's somewhat apples to oranges but I'm in Los Angeles and can't seem to find anywhere to view either one...

Are you interested in 3D? That is one of the big benefits of the HC9000. From the reports, it sounds like the brightness will be higher than a D65 calibrated Epson.

The 9000 is going to have better black levels and contrast than even the best LCD's. Epson tried to get away from LCD this year with their version of LCOS but it didn't happen. Once they hit in 2012, my guess is they will keep the low end 8xxxx for big box retail and go LCOS in the future.

I am debating on getting rid of my JVC RS50 for the HC9000. I'd like to hear from someone who has seen both projectors to evaluate 2D comparisons and also ghosting in 3D which can be quite pronounced on the JVC depending on the content. The real issue is the lamps in the JVC stink. They picked some no-name manufacturer and it's a coins toss if you get one that lasts more than a few hundred hours without 40%+ dimming.

the 900 and 1100 lumens in 3D mode on the HC9000 is encouraging to hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #367 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The 9000 is going to have better black levels and contrast than even the best LCD's.

I think earlier in this thread the native contrast was measured in the 5000:1 range (I don't remember the exact number), that is in the same general range with the native contrast you might get on a calibrated Epson 8700ub, but not above.

I think the 8700ub will do darker blacks then this projector, but it should be close until you engage the 8700ub's IRIS. Anyhow, just a guess based on the numbers we've seen.
LCOS looks better than LCD to me though usually, a more film-like and smoother look with more VIVID and realistic colors goes to LCOS for sure.

This projector does seem like the most balanced for 2D/3D viewing overall so far.

I would like (as would many) to see more DLP's. If Sharp can make a DLP that truely exceeds 4000:1 native from years ago, certainly we can get some DLP's in a slightly higher native contrast, if only the MFR's would step up the game (though they probably wont).

Although these DLP's lately advertise 4000:1 or 5000:1 native, the real contrasts are still ranging from 2500:1 to maybe 3500:1 at best until you get into the real expensive ones (which there aren't that many anyhow).

I think a DLP that was truely capable of doing 5000:1 native, 6-speed color wheel, and had a good IRIS that could hit 50,000:1 or more would be the ultimate projector.
I know a lot of people hate IRIS's, but I have seen some really good IRIS's. The IRIS on the Sanyo z4000 and Sony vw70 were both quite superb, and it was easy to tweak to your heart's desire, as in you could tune it to be as non-intrusive as you preferred. Most IRIS's I've seen aren't that good though. Every IRIS will compress white levels a bit, but there is a balance that is sometimes worth using.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #368 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I think earlier in this thread the native contrast was measured in the 5000:1 range (I don't remember the exact number), that is in the same general range with the native contrast you might get on a calibrated Epson 8700ub, but not above.

that's lower than I expected, I keep forgetting we are dealing with Sony panels here in the Mitsubishi. That is my only concern about swapping from the RS50 to the HC9000. The black level / contrast is excellent on this projector and has set a standard I am now expecting. I can easily see the difference in the black levels between my RS50 and a coworker's 8700. No panel alignment at this price point is a bit disappointing.

The raw #'s don't always tell the story, so I'd like to hear from those that might have seen the RS40/50 vs. the HC9000 - especially considering that the HC9000 should be quite a bit brighter in 3D mode. The adjustments built in to control ghosting are interesting and curious if they actually make a difference.

it's a shame Sharp didn't put in lens shift, the mounting requirements is a deal breaker for many. This could have been a great all around 2d/3d projector to hold us over until the next round.

post #369 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The only reason I haven't looked at a sharp DLP for myself was the low native contrast numbers on thier budget models, the z15000 was only around 1500:1, that's too low IMHO.
Not sure about the z17000 3D model, but it's probably about the same.

That's half the native contrast of the Mits hc4000.

-

post #370 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11
Okay Guys,
Did the demo and all i can say is WOW...

All know I have my epson 9700 thread and if anyone has read my thread they would see I have been a huge Epson 9700 Believer..
But......
This Mits 9000 Slays my 9700 in 2d.
The Mits gives a new meaning to Detail that my epson 9700 cant keep up to.
I can use the super res processing on the Epson to get that extra detail that is need but the mits does this without the need for processing and with Ease.
This is the one of the best Projectors i have seen to date.

Again with regards to Black Levels this Unit also Kill my Epson,,
the Biggest thing i notice with regards to black levels is Detail in the black levels... You have Detailed Blacks....

Also this Unit is Whisper Quiet also another area where it slays my 9700.
THe Auto Iris when turned on i didnt other than the initial on motion is also very very Very Quiet...

I did the demo paired with the SI BD 2.7 Gain Screen 92 inch.
Which also was a great match for this projector.
This was the first time I have seen the 2.7 Fabric and its not the traditional bd colour, its actually like a light Silver Shade and when paired with the mits projector it was like seeing a very high end LED LCD display Lights on.
Very Bright image with alot of Pop.
Blacks blended Very Well actually with a 2.35 image on the 16:9 size screen there was many scenes where the top corners of the image blended with the black bars so i actually thought that it was all part of the image...
Coolest thing ever.

Now 3D...
Again WOW,
I was blown away by the performance of this projector.
The detail was great, the colours stayed pure,
And just to note this Mits unit was not Calibrated straight settings out of the box and to my eye was Really Really Close to Bang On...
if it was me just minor lowering of contrast and Brightness and your Mint.

the Emitter was located on the projector and i did find that if i went under the projector that the glasses lost Signal.
Easy solution would be mount the Emitter next to the top of the screen and call it a day problem solved.

The BD 2.7 Viewing angle the best in the bd series i went way off angle and
3d effect stayed and no shading in the opp side corners.
I didnt see any Sparkle effect and No Hot Spotting was Present.

Clearly Mits is in it to Win It with this Unit,
And I Now want one Really Really Bad...

Awesome Projector...
post #371 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM

I've looked at the sharp as well but it doesn't support anamorphic ...,
post #372 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I think the 8700ub will do darker blacks then this projector, but it should be close until you engage the 8700ub's IRIS. Anyhow, just a guess based on the numbers we've seen.
LCOS looks better than LCD to me though usually, a more film-like and smoother look with more VIVID and realistic colors goes to LCOS for sure.

This projector does seem like the most balanced for 2D/3D viewing overall so far.

I would like (as would many) to see more DLP's. If Sharp can make a DLP that truely exceeds 4000:1 native from years ago, certainly we can get some DLP's in a slightly higher native contrast, if only the MFR's would step up the game (though they probably wont).

Although these DLP's lately advertise 4000:1 or 5000:1 native, the real contrasts are still ranging from 2500:1 to maybe 3500:1 at best until you get into the real expensive ones (which there aren't that many anyhow).

I think a DLP that was truely capable of doing 5000:1 native, 6-speed color wheel, and had a good IRIS that could hit 50,000:1 or more would be the ultimate projector.
I know a lot of people hate IRIS's, but I have seen some really good IRIS's. The IRIS on the Sanyo z4000 and Sony vw70 were both quite superb, and it was easy to tweak to your heart's desire, as in you could tune it to be as non-intrusive as you preferred. Most IRIS's I've seen aren't that good though. Every IRIS will compress white levels a bit, but there is a balance that is sometimes worth using.

Widescreen magazine in its latest issue measured the Sharp full field contrast at 8000:1
post #373 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post

Widescreen magazine in its latest issue measured the Sharp full field contrast at 8000:1

Seeing is Believing and i am totally inlove with this Mits 9000.
I am still in awe thinking about this demo.
What a great Machine...
post #374 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post

Which Sharp, the 3d one (17000)?

-

post #375 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM

Yes, the 17000
post #376 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Rather than quote every post, just let me say I am responding to the last 20.

Best Buy carries cheap glasses from Mits and others. They are Blutooth. They didn't have any of the $150 that work on IR. I needed aniother pair quick but they have to be mail ordered from some on line source like AV Science.

Yes campers. I have both an RS40 and a Mits HC9000D, in the same room. Watch one, then the other. Haven't checked the RS40 out in 3D yet. Getting some glasses for it tonight. It won't work with my Mits glasses.

The sample of the RS40 I have will have only about 5 hours on it when I start with 3D. It looks really good, uncalibrated. No Lumagen on it. Just straight out of the box. I reset the Mits, straight out of the box, no Lumagen. They both look really good in 2D. The Mits looks sharper though. In 2D they are both bright now. The Mits has a lot more controls to play with. The Mits 3D is very very bright but the default is torch mode. High lamp, high color temp, wide open iris yada yada. Looks great though. Like all LCD, SXRD, etc there is some ghosting if you look for it but it really is not at all bothersome unless you focos on the thing that ghosts. I will compare the 3D on the RS40 tonight.

WSR has a special 3D issue this month. They have a bunch of different reviewers reviewing several 3D projectors. No reviews by Bill Rogers, I don't think he is doing them any more. The RS60 is reviewed, It is the new WSR reference in a rear projection set up in the WSR lab which is now I think the publisher/editor's living room. Full page JVC ads again on the back cover of WSR. Probably just a coincidence. WRS reviewed 42 3D Blurays. Almost all 5 rated, go figure.

Oy yea. The reviewer of the 17000 Sharp, a local friend of mine, thought the 17,000 was only so so in 3D but great for the money in 2D. Go figure.

I suspect WSR is having very hard times. I try to help, revnewing my subscription for multiple years.

I think the magazine has pretty much lost all its cred. A real shame. Now I just read it and shake my head. The reviews are just nowhere as good as when Rogers did them. It is absolutely that the JVCs be annointed with reference status. This is no a condemnation of the JVCs. I thought the RS40 is a good machine nut it cam't touch better reference machines such as the 3D Sim2s and the DP machines. Not even close.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #377 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Man i still cant get that image detail out of my mind from what i saw today,

Just watched the NHL Playoffs and there was alot of detail that i didnt make out that would have been so vivid on this Mits 9000...

I am so in awe of this unit,,,
Got huge respect for this model..
post #378 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK campers. 3D on the HC9000D and the RS40. And as I will explain I think most user onservations of THEIR machine is for comparative purposes not very useful for someone elses buying decision. Why because for example with the HC8000D there are many settings which drastically change 3D performance. All viewing was the Grand Canyon Adventure.

The RS40 in 3D appeared a little brighter. But the image was much more digital for lack of a better word. There was considerable ghosting but it was like something digital was fighting it. The ghost kept trying to merge with the real image, making the ghosting very transient but making the image sort of stutter around the edges or transition between edges. The 3D effect was more pronounced on the RS40 but it was sort of a cut out layered. Not very natural but still presenting more depth more often.

The HC9000D was sharper and presented a more natural smoother image. But not as layered.
But there was much more ghosting and it wasn't transient. As long as an edge was constant, there was a ghost. But. Playing around I made the ghosting almost completely disappear. Huh?

In one of the menus there is a 3D sync setting. Toggle between normal and reversed. Duh. Changing the sync from normal to reversed and the ghosting essentially vanished. Huh? But it did. There are so many controls. And I have just scratched the surface.

I changed one setting on the 3D default for the RS40. From wide color space to normal.

The colors between the two machines without calibration are very different and neither are right.

That's it. Now I have pissed JVC off and WSR too and I am not supposed to do that. I really don't care about pissing WSR off. I am not the only one to make such observations. We need the mag, I know the publisher and many of the reviewers but it is a joke now.

I prefer the Mits BUT I could easily be happy with the 40. It isn't bad. Put a Lumagen on it and caslibrate in both 2D and 3D. But I would rather it looked a little less digital in 3D. I could live with it. I thnk if my budget were what it streets for, I could be happy with it. But it ain't close to a reference.

Mark Haflich

post #379 of 832 Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This projector sounds good.

When you said, "not as layered", did you mean not as much perceivable distance between the 3d objects, or they don't come out as far on the Mits (I guess this could be both good and bad?)

I like Mits projectors a lot, this one is just a but on the pricey side for some of us.

-

post #380 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Coming out of the screen is just pure 3D trickery. I am talking about 3D as one eyes would see it in real live. The JVC had more 3D depth but it looked more like a pop up book or card with layers. A little unnatural to me but having more of a 3D WOW factor. I prefered the smoother depth transitioning that I saw with the Mits but there was a slight decrease in the 3D wow. Words sort of fail me here. On scenes where 3D distant effects were added, like a shot from way above where ones eyes or a 3D camera wouldn't see anything in 3D, 3D artificial depth is often added in IMAX stuff. That rendering was more apparent with the JVC. It was there with the Mits but more subtely. Both were good but there was more 3D with the JVC. Every scene one was aware that its was shot in or 3D was added. It was more natural on the Mits, more like ones eyes would see it in real life.

Mark Haflich

post #381 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Coming out of the screen is just pure 3D trickery. I am talking about 3D as one eyes would see it in real live. The JVC had more 3D depth but it looked more like a pop up book or card with layers. A little unnatural to me but having more of a 3D WOW factor. I prefered the smoother depth transitioning that I saw with the Mits but there was a slight decrease in the 3D wow. Words sort of fail me here. On scenes where 3D distant effects were added, like a shot from way above where ones eyes or a 3D camera wouldn't see anything in 3D, 3D artificial depth is often added in IMAX stuff. That rendering was more apparent with the JVC. It was there with the Mits but more subtely. Both were good but there was more 3D with the JVC. Every scene one was aware that its was shot in or 3D was added. It was more natural on the Mits, more like ones eyes would see it in real life.

One thing needs to be mentioned regarding Mits vs the Jvc..
Quality Issues.
Just go thru the mits 6800 thread and you will see that it is not loaded with Problematic posts.
I have heard alot about the jvc bulb issues..
With regards to past quality issues
Would it not be far to say JVC has more than Mits?
post #382 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Great report Mark and thanks! If by chance you get your hands on a Sharp at some point, I would love to hear how it compares with the JVC and Mits as far as 3d is concerned. It should have an obvious advantage for ghosting, but curious how it compares besides that and overall as far as the 3d aspect.

Thanks again.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #383 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Mits doesn't have the user density or population of the JVCs. So its really hard to tell how it will hold up at this point. I haven't heard of any problems yet. Amd the JVCs have certainly had more than normal or past year's problems.

No matter what projector one gets, I would strongly recommend purchasing something that AVS doesn't sell. An add on warranty. Obviously, repairs are free during a warranty period but mucho err MUCHO MUCHO expensive outside the warranty period. A new light engine could set one back $3K for a $5K list projector. There is no such thing as a cheap repair for a projector. Projectors are high heat beasts and they intake air containing all sorts of goodies. Filters need cleaning, something one often forgets to do as a machine ages.

Mark Haflich

post #384 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One thing needs to be mentioned regarding Mits vs the Jvc..
Quality Issues.
Just go thru the mits 6800 thread and you will see that it is not loaded with Problematic posts.
I have heard alot about the jvc bulb issues..
With regards to past quality issues
Would it not be far to say JVC has more than Mits?
there weren't that many 6800 owners.. Mitsubishi was a distant 3rd tier for the LCD projectors. I sent back 3 HC5500's due to awful convergence and 2 had issues with uneven focus.

I wouldn't use a previous line that wasn't too popular as a test of their current quality. I will say my lamp in the HC5500 held up MUCH better than the lamp in my RS50. When I gave it to friend it had 2000 hours and still going strong.

The lack of panel adjustments and a broken CMS is a tough pill to swallow considering the street price.. but then again, so is a broken CMS and lamp issues in my RS50.

Mark - any chance you can grab some quick lumen readings? what size is your screen and the throw distance? thanks!

Any chance you consider replacing the Vango with the HC9000 or not a chance for 2D IQ?

post #385 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Mark, From where does the hot exhaust air exit the Mits?
post #386 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Hey Mark also another question
where is the air filter on this 9000 ?
post #387 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 01:17 PM

The exhaust is on the right side, the filter and one of the intakes is in the front. The other intake is in the back, as is the lamp assembly
post #388 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I also still subscribe to WSR and actually went to their offices when they still had one or when they had the large one. I know they have movied. Their equipment was insane and their main home theater was incredible.
post #389 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinla View Post
The exhaust is on the right side, the filter and one of the intakes is in the front. The other intake is in the back, as is the lamp assembly
Thanks...
post #390 of 832 Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
thanks...
+1
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP