NEW MITSUBISHI HC 9000 : FULL HD, 3D and..... Lcos panels - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 832 Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post
i got a 9000d several weeks ago and it is still unopened. does anyone know at what serial # does the advance (cms fixed) begin or how to tell if its the advance units?

considering switching it out for the advance unit if its the older version.

TIA.
you might want to read a few posts back, Mark pretty much confirmed with Mitsubishi that the CMS has not been fixed even in the advanced version, it's only a power supply update.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 832 Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Hopefully, we will get this clarified at Cedia. As i stated before most at Mits don't even know what a CMS is or whether it is working in their unit. It partially works, one can correct luminosity or luminence with it, but that's it. Second level projector customer support acknowledged after researching it higher up, that the CMS does not fully work and their is no fix yet. I asked if the Advanced designation included a fix and they said no, it just improved the power supply. I really don't know how accurate the info given me vs what some posters reported they have been told in Canada that the Advanced designation indicates a fix.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #513 of 832 Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cine4Home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hello together,

there seems to be some confusion about the new HC9000 A:


a) It is NOT released yet

b) It DOES HAVE an improved CMS

c) It does have an FI for 3D

d) An afterwards update of HC9000 to HC9000A is possible, but probably at additional (very moderate) costs.



Hope this helps...

Regards,
Ekki
Cine4Home is online now  
post #514 of 832 Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Speaking as a consumer, if an advertised feature doesn't work (as opposed to working awkwardly), I believe a manufacturer has an obligation to fix it for free. Because the A will have improvements in other areas, charging a modest fee for the upgrades to the PS and for FI in 3D, is certainly acceptable and commendable.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #515 of 832 Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 AM
 
fraisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Camlachie, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Hopefully, we will get this clarified at Cedia. As i stated before most at Mits don't even know what a CMS is or whether it is working in their unit. It partially works, one can correct luminosity or luminence with it, but that's it. Second level projector customer support acknowledged after researching it higher up, that the CMS does not fully work and their is no fix yet. I asked if the Advanced designation included a fix and they said no, it just improved the power supply. I really don't know how accurate the info given me vs what some posters reported they have been told in Canada that the Advanced designation indicates a fix.

My Info Came straight from Mits Canada Upper Management
fraisa is offline  
post #516 of 832 Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I would go with Cine4home's info here. I understand you want it to be as you were told but my gut tells me you were not given the correct info. I am not saying you were deliberately given the wrong info. Most in large scale consumer companies, rather than just a projector company, really don't know. Someone who doesn't know or didn't understand their question or was asked the wrong question, gives an answer, it gets repeated, and some take it as gospel. If you really want to knowfor sure, get someone with a probe and pattern generator come over and verify whether the CMS is fully functioning. I would give you 10 to one, it won't be but of course you copuld be right.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #517 of 832 Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cine4Home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I would go with Cine4home's info here. .



We got that info directly from the Mitsubishi technicians at the IFA this week. And they had the new HC9000A there in the demo room.

Regards,
Ekki
Cine4Home is online now  
post #518 of 832 Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
What the hell do they know compared to mid level management?

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #519 of 832 Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Grubert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
US press release


Quote:


MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC VISUAL SOLUTIONS’ HC9000D 3D FRONT PROJECTOR FEATURES ANAMORPHIC SUPPORT, REDUCED PRICE
For more info visit: http://mitsubishi-presentations.com

Mitsubishi has reduced the price of its successful flagship Diamond HC9000D front projector to $5995. The projector is packed with features that create crisp, vivid, engaging 3D images that can be displayed on 100-inch screens.

Submitted to HomeToys.com on: 09/06/2011, 9:43 pm

Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions’ HC9000D 3D Front Projector Features Anamorphic Support, Reduced Price

IRVINE, Calif., September 7, 2011 - Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America, Inc. has reduced the price of its successful flagship Diamond HC9000D front projector to $5995, and will be showcasing it along with its line of large-screen visual displays at the CEDIA Home Theater Show in Indianapolis, September 7-10, 2011 in Booth #5537. Mitsubishi Electric’s new Diamond HC9000D 3D projector is packed with features that create crisp, vivid, engaging 3D images that can be displayed on 100-inch screens, creating a true theater experience.

The HC9000D is also the only 3D projector in its price range that supports anamorphic modes, so viewing original widescreen 2.35:1 aspect ratio films is easy and cost effective. With support for Anamorphic Lens Modes 1 and 2, users enjoy the optimum home theater viewing experience with every inch of the screen filled with the movie, instead of a letterboxed format.

“Our customers get a huge bang for their 3D home theater buck with our HC9000D front projector,” said Wayne Kozuki, product manager, Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America, Inc. “Whether you’re watching 2D or 3D, images literally appear to jump off the screen with realistic, true-to-life details.”

The projector also boasts the latest frame rate conversion technology: motion vector analysis is applied to each movie frame for highly accurate alignment using the preceding and subsequent frames. This compensation function creates the optimal number of frames for the content, reducing distortion in all directions: vertically, laterally and diagonally. Fast movie sequences are smooth and clear.

“Our 3D frame rate conversion technology literally can add frames to a movie to create an ultra smooth and judder free viewing experience,” said Kozuki.

Powered by an SXRD™ cutting-edge reflective liquid-crystal optical engine, Mitsubishi adds its own algorithms and processing technologies to create high-brightness, high-contrast (up to 150,000:1) images that are smooth and true to the original content.

A key element in projector performance is the lens, and Mitsubishi has incorporated extra-low dispersion glass into its six-piece, 17-cluster structure for higher functionality that minimizes chromatic aberration. The result is colors and details that are impeccably clear.

With its auto-iris function, Mitsubishi’s Diamond HC9000D 3D home theater projector automatically sets the optimal aperture according to each scene, and its 120Hz refresh rate produces ultra-smooth transitions and amazing life-like images. An independent color management function allows adjustment to color characteristics such as hue, intensity and brightness individually (red, green, cyan, magenta and yellow), without affecting the other colors.

With a wide range of powered lens shift (100 percent vertical and 45 percent horizontal), this new Mitsubishi Diamond HC9000D 3D projector is easy to install, even in a complicated room configuration. In some cases, there may not be a need to turn the projector upside down in a ceiling mount, and its 1.8x powered-zoom range also gives installers additional installation flexibility.

At only 23dBa, this Diamond HC9000D 3D projector is extremely quiet, so viewers can easily hear the movie—even in whisper-soft scenes—instead of an annoying projector hum. Two HDMI™ version 1.4 inputs support 3D signals, as well as provide easy set-up options for multiple video inputs, and its RS232 support offers plug-and-play connectivity with third-party remote operations.

Mitsubishi’s new Diamond HC9000D 3D projector also offers low cost of ownership with an estimated 4000-hour lamp life* in low conservation mode. It has a convenient and simple rear-access lamp design for easy lamp exchanges and a one-year limited warranty on the lamp, one of the best lamp warranties in the industry.

The projector is currently available though authorized Mitsubishi dealers and comes with Mitsubishi’s two-year limited warranty on parts and labor plus a one-year limited warranty on the lamp.

“Mitsubishi Electric is known for reliable, super large screen display technology, and now we’re building a great reputation for 3D home theater display products,” said James Chan, vice president, marketing, Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America, Inc. “We continue to bring the best in front and rear projection using display technology to our home theater partners.”

About Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America, Inc.
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America, Inc. is a US subsidiary of Mitsubishi Electric Corporation of Tokyo, Japan. Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America manufactures and markets a complete line of display products including projectors, data wall display systems, LCD digital signage monitors and players, large-screen 3D DLP® televisions and the world’s first laser TV, LaserVue®. Other products include industrial printers, photo kiosks and digital photo printers, time lapse security recorders and DVRs.

For additional information about Mitsubishi Electric Visual Solutions America, visit http://www.mevsa.com. You may also connect with Mitsubishi on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/MitsubishiDisplays) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/MitsuDisplays)
# # #
*For an explanation of how this estimate was calculated, visit http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....lator_TCO.html. This estimate does not extend or otherwise modify the warranty for the lamp.

HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing, LLC; DLP is a registered trademark of Texas Instruments. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.


Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Grubert is offline  
post #520 of 832 Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Member
 
Dmaumau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys,

Anyone found extra glasses for children that are compatible with the HC 9000 ?

I've browsed around, but I'm not sure what exactly to look for. It should not be DLP link and and it's LCD active, but most of what I found is RF/Bluetooth synced and this Mitsubishi is IR, so I'm really lost...

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

Mauricio

"There are more mysteries between the outlets and the speakers that consider possible the vain Audiophilia..."
Dmaumau is offline  
post #521 of 832 Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
The HC9000D now shipping has the fixes needed to several things thast needed fxing such as the CMS. I don't know the serial number where the fixes are now included. But Mits said at the show that the fixes would be performed free for early adopters and that includes Mits picking up the tab for round trip shipping to the service depot in California. The unit can not be fixed or updated in the field. In a few weeks Mits will announce the procedure for getting an RMA etc. We will post it.


Buy the way. The quoted Mits announcement above I think has an error, it omits blue as a color that the CMS can adjust. It lists the other two primaries and the three secondaries.


Also. The biggest news. Just kidding about it being big news and it really doesn't mean anything but the usual JVC ad is missing from the latest Wide Screen Review issue and it has been replaced by an ad for the Mits HC9000D.


Seriously, this projector is very good and is fully competitive with the other stuff out there at the $7 to $8K MSRP price point, and now its only $6K MSRP. At the new street, one should not overlook this projector in favor of more well known brands.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #522 of 832 Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Member
 
movieguy2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great news Mark! Can't wait to hear from Mitsubishi about the process. Its a little disappointing I will have to send my unit back to the mother ship for the update, but its great when a company stands behind their product.

I agree this is a great unit and with the lower price point people should entertain it as an option.
movieguy2001 is offline  
post #523 of 832 Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This projector looked good at the show, but Mit's handicapped it by only showing it in a booth. The back wall was just a curtain with a 3' wide opening for walking in and out. Since the trade show floor was so bright a ton of light entered the room through this opening, but even with this light you could see that this projector threw a nice contrasty image with good color.
mjg100 is offline  
post #524 of 832 Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I had our demo in my HT for about a month. I know how good it is.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #525 of 832 Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Did anyone do a shootout between the Mits 9000 and the Sony VW90? I'm considering the VW95 and since its 2D performance should be very similar to the VW90, that would help me know whether I should also consider the Mits 9000 as well (assuming it had some advantages over the Sony 90).
lovingdvd is online now  
post #526 of 832 Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
RickAVManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Did anyone do a shootout between the Mits 9000 and the Sony VW90? I'm considering the VW95 and since its 2D performance should be very similar to the VW90, that would help me know whether I should also consider the Mits 9000 as well (assuming it had some advantages over the Sony 90).

Good question, I would like to know too...
RickAVManiac is online now  
post #527 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Member
 
DisTreSs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know what it is like compared to the vw90 (which I would also think to be very similar), but I saw the non-advanced model in action yesterday against the HW30 which is not really a fair comparison due to the different SXRD panels used, but it easily beats it in 2D.

The biggest downside for this PJ is the very dim 3D. Compared to the Sony it was almost literally night and day. The Sony was substantially brighter, but as a result did also still suffer from ghosting as far as I'm concerned (even though most are saying the HW30 is excellent on ghosting). Ghosting was not apparent on the HC9000 (most likely due to its dull, dark, lifeless picture) but honestly, even though I absolutely hate crosstalk, I would rather watch a 3D movie on the HW30 because of the HC9000's dimness.

What would make this HC9000 a real winner in my book, is if they get rid of the 3D alltogether and sell it at the HW30's price point. I'm aware the price is already substantially reduced for the HC9000D, but that just makes me feel that you still pay the extra compared to the HW30 for the 3D while in fact a lot of people would not find use for it.

Unless there is a way to make this PJ brighter in 3D with different glasses?
If so, I would love to hear about it!
DisTreSs is offline  
post #528 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
silver700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTreSs View Post

I don't know what it is like compared to the vw90 (which I would also think to be very similar), but I saw the non-advanced model in action yesterday against the HW30 which is not really a fair comparison due to the different SXRD panels used, but it easily beats it in 2D.

The biggest downside for this PJ is the very dim 3D. Compared to the Sony it was almost literally night and day. The Sony was substantially brighter, but as a result did also still suffer from ghosting as far as I'm concerned (even though most are saying the HW30 is excellent on ghosting). Ghosting was not apparent on the HC9000 (most likely due to its dull, dark, lifeless picture) but honestly, even though I absolutely hate crosstalk, I would rather watch a 3D movie on the HW30 because of the HC9000's dimness.

What would make this HC9000 a real winner in my book, is if they get rid of the 3D alltogether and sell it at the HW30's price point. I'm aware the price is already substantially reduced for the HC9000D, but that just makes me feel that you still pay the extra compared to the HW30 for the 3D while in fact a lot of people would not find use for it.

Unless there is a way to make this PJ brighter in 3D with different glasses?
If so, I would love to hear about it!

Was it brighter in 3d only? how did they compare in brightness in 2d?
silver700 is offline  
post #529 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
 
fraisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Camlachie, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will say this regarding 2d brightness
Coming from an Epson Pro 9700ub I always had to have the lamp on High never was able to watch in full ambient light on Echo..

with this Mits 9000 i never watch the unit on High Lamp mode
Even in full ambient light its on Normal Lamp mode
Dont need it on high

2d sports in ambient light Rocks on when Paired with an SI Black diamond Screen,.... And i am running it with a .8 gain
and if i had 1.4 gain it would have even more contrast in ambient light
fraisa is offline  
post #530 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Member
 
DisTreSs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post

Was it brighter in 3d only? how did they compare in brightness in 2d?

Definitely much brighter in 3D, but I'm judging this with glasses on and so am only stating that the glasses for the Mits were much darker than the Sony. While I'm sure the extra brightness of the Sony is in part achieved through their timed lamp boost technology, another part of it is the glasses.
Is it because of the fact that they have a different filter or is it that the higher refresh lets through more light, I don't know (not completely up to speed on all the tech behind it) but the difference with glasses on was very noticeable.

I didn't actually compare the light output of both PJ's in 3D without the glasses on so don't know if there was any difference there...

Light output in 2D as far as I'm concerned was pretty much the same. Measurements might conceivably yield differences between the two, but on a purely subjective level, they appeared pretty close to me.

What I failed to mention was that the screen was a pretty standard 1.0 gain acoustically transparent screen. I guess the Mits' brightness for 3D could be raised by changing the screen to something with more gain, but I have no way to compare and am unsure to what extent this could solve the 3D dimness. Conversely, going for higher gain might then cause issues in 2D?
DisTreSs is offline  
post #531 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
The tint has little to do with the brightness one gets. Its mostly in how long the shutter on each eye is open for.

I hasve had both machines and I found the brightness on the Mits in 3D to be quite adequate. Not as bright as the Sony though.

The Mits is a more expensive projector. It shows it in size and mass and its lens is in a whole other league. Subjectively, I rate it as the best lens in the $6K to $8K price class.

The Sony is much lower in price class. It is a very fine projector none the less but throw some more money at it, and it would be even better and noticeably so.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #532 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
 
fraisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Camlachie, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTreSs View Post

Definitely much brighter in 3D, but I'm judging this with glasses on and so am only stating that the glasses for the Mits were much darker than the Sony. While I'm sure the extra brightness of the Sony is in part achieved through their timed lamp boost technology, another part of it is the glasses.
Is it because of the fact that they have a different filter or is it that the higher refresh lets through more light, I don't know (not completely up to speed on all the tech behind it) but the difference with glasses on was very noticeable.

I didn't actually compare the light output of both PJ's in 3D without the glasses on so don't know if there was any difference there...

Light output in 2D as far as I'm concerned was pretty much the same. Measurements might conceivably yield differences between the two, but on a purely subjective level, they appeared pretty close to me.

What I failed to mention was that the screen was a pretty standard 1.0 gain acoustically transparent screen. I guess the Mits' brightness for 3D could be raised by changing the screen to something with more gain, but I have no way to compare and am unsure to what extent this could solve the 3D dimness. Conversely, going for higher gain might then cause issues in 2D?

Standard 1.0 gain vs a BD 1.4 G3 Screen would make a huge difference in boosting the contrast of the Mits

Higher gain atleast in the Bd will give you not as good black levels in ambient light
when i mean higher gain i am talking 2.7gain vs 1.4
again
the mits with the 1.4 gain is a Show stopper in ambient light
fraisa is offline  
post #533 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 485
In 3D mode, the MITs is switched to high lamp.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #534 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sounds like it's the Sony 95 that should be compared with the Mits 9000.
millerwill is online now  
post #535 of 832 Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,984
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Seems bright enough for 3D on an HP screen getting 2.2 gain at 110" to maybe even up to 120", unless Art's numbers were off:

Using Art's 700 Lumens Best Mode number from PJ Reviews:
----------------------------------------------------------
110" Screen at Closest Throw at 2.2 Gain
----------------------------------------------------------
<<Calculations for a New Lamp>>
110" Screen (Lamp Low Best Mode)= 35.1fL
110" Screen (Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 46.8fL
110" Screen (Semi-Accurate NON-Best Mode)= 56.8fL
110" Screen (Absolute Brightest Mode)= 66.9fL
----------------------------------------------------------
120" Screen at Closest Throw at 2.2 Gain
----------------------------------------------------------
<<Calculations for a New Lamp>>
120" Screen (Lamp Low Best Mode)= 29.5fL
120" Screen (Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 39.3fL
120" Screen (Semi-Accurate NON-Best Mode)= 47.8fL
120" Screen (Absolute Brightest Mode)= 56.2fL
-----------------------------------------------------------

Note:
The Sony hw30 appears to be about 50-100 lumens brighter overall, not a huge difference, so like others said it's probably partly the design of the glasses.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coderguy is offline  
post #536 of 832 Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM
 
fraisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Camlachie, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Couple of ambient light shots
that i posted in an album on facebook

This is a good example to show how bright the Mits Is

again i am using a .8 gain screen



Was taken with my Insignia Digital camera so its not a pro shot




fraisa is offline  
post #537 of 832 Old 09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Member
 
DisTreSs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The Sony is much lower in price class.

With the recent price cut for the HC9000D, the Mits is no longer that much more expensive. Over here, it ends up being 800€ more than the Sony, still nothing to sneeze at but it makes it a relatively affordable jump to the better SXRD panels compared to the vw90 or vw95. The latter being 1500€ more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I hasve had both machines and I found the brightness on the Mits in 3D to be quite adequate

What screen were you using Mark? In my opinion, i.e. very personal impression, it was nowhere near bright enough to be enjoyable on a 1.0 gain screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Standard 1.0 gain vs a BD 1.4 G3 Screen would make a huge difference in boosting the contrast of the Mits

Higher gain atleast in the Bd will give you not as good black levels in ambient light
when i mean higher gain i am talking 2.7gain vs 1.4
again
the mits with the 1.4 gain is a Show stopper in ambient light

I'm not concerned about ambient light as much. But does a 1.4 gain screen not run into any other problems? Coming from CRT, I'm not really up to speed on this for the current crop of digi's. Hotspotting an issue or something? Reduced contrast? Anything else?

I've only vaguely heard about the Blackdiamond screen but in the demo the guy from the store very briefly held up a small segment of BD screen (no idea of the gain however) in front of the main screen. Not really fair to make any estimation based on the very short amount of time, but it looked at least as good as the 1.0 gain, probably even better. I guess I'll have to do some more research on it
DisTreSs is offline  
post #538 of 832 Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Seems bright enough for 3D on an HP screen getting 2.2 gain at 110" to maybe even up to 120", unless Art's numbers were off:

Using Art's 700 Lumens Best Mode number from PJ Reviews:
----------------------------------------------------------
110" Screen at Closest Throw at 2.2 Gain
----------------------------------------------------------
<<Calculations for a New Lamp>>
110" Screen (Lamp Low Best Mode)= 35.1fL
110" Screen (Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 46.8fL
110" Screen (Semi-Accurate NON-Best Mode)= 56.8fL
110" Screen (Absolute Brightest Mode)= 66.9fL
----------------------------------------------------------
120" Screen at Closest Throw at 2.2 Gain
----------------------------------------------------------
<<Calculations for a New Lamp>>
120" Screen (Lamp Low Best Mode)= 29.5fL
120" Screen (Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 39.3fL
120" Screen (Semi-Accurate NON-Best Mode)= 47.8fL
120" Screen (Absolute Brightest Mode)= 56.2fL
-----------------------------------------------------------

Note:
The Sony hw30 appears to be about 50-100 lumens brighter overall, not a huge difference, so like others said it's probably partly the design of the glasses.

Tx much for making those measurements! If I convert to lumens, I get the same for both screen sizes (which of course SHOULD be true): in best mode, this is ~ 575 lumens in low lamp, and 768 in high lamp.
millerwill is online now  
post #539 of 832 Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
 
fraisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Camlachie, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Tx much for making those measurements! If I convert to lumens, I get the same for both screen sizes (which of course SHOULD be true): in best mode, this is ~ 575 lumens in low lamp, and 768 in high lamp.

These shots below where taken in Normal Lamp Mode....



fraisa is offline  
post #540 of 832 Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Daniel Hutnicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: On the Internet
Posts: 6,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fraisa,

Just curious, What are those little speakers high on the wall for?
Daniel Hutnicki is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off