JVC 990/ RS 35 screen help please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies in advance for the new thread, but hours of searching has not found me the answers I seek.

I'm waiting for my new JVC DLA-HD990 to arrive, and trying to educate myself as much as possible before purchasing a screen.

I'm very interested in the Stewart screens, and think I have it narrowed down to the Firehawk SST. Short throw and non-dedicated room with light furnishings and deco the big deciding factors.

Throw: 3m
Screen: 100" (2.2M wide)
Viewing distance: a little longer than the throw.

I have seen the JVC demo'd on an OS screen (120" - ultra matte II), and the Sony VW85 demo'd on the Firehawk SST (100"). The JVC salesman couldn't intelligently answer any technical questions about the OS screen (regarding ambient light, gain, throw and viewing distance etc.), nor could he demo on any other screen. He just kept repeating "JVC and OS screen good match". I live in Hong Kong. No further explanation needed!

The Stewart salesman however, did have intimate technical knowledge about his product, and answered my technical questions quite well.

Both demo locations were dark, dedicated rooms. I was able to replicate the throw and seating positions I would be using at home during the Sony/ Stewart demo.

Here's the thing: the colours and contrast on the Stewart/ Sony combo were far superior to the JVC/OS screen combo. (Blacks and shadow depth were impressive during both demos.)

Would the larger screen size play a big role here? Or am I seeing the quality of the 300% more expensive screen? I'm going to ask if I can watch my JVC on the Stewart screen when the PJ arrives (he doesn't sell JVC).

The Stewart salesman says that the SST material was designed for LCoS technology, and thus recommended this material. From what I have read, the SST differs from the G3 in that it allows for shorter throws, and is designed to avoid hotspotting - not that it has been designed specifically for LCoS projectors. I suspect he is incorrectly expanding on the fact that the Firehawk SST was designed in collaboration with Sony for their LCoS projectors for their short throw?

If I had a longer throw (longer than 1.6x screen width) as I understand it, I would still choose the G3. Is that right? I just don't believe the salesman when he says that the Firehawk G3 is for DLP, and the SST is for LCoS.

I really would like to see the JVC on the Firehawk SST alongside the VW85. But if the salesman won't let me take my projector in (he sells mostly Sony and Sim2), I would like some reassurance that the Stewart screen is going to make my JVC look as good - if not better - than the Sony VW85. I'm happy to spend on the Stewart screen if I know it will make a significant difference.

Having just re-read my post, I guess there are two questions here: Is it worth paying 3x the price for the Stewart screen over the OS, and if so, is the SST vs. G3 decision based solely on throw/ viewing distance - projector type (DLP vs. LCoS) being irrelevant?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

First question...what is your room like this is going into? Specifically from an ambient light standpoint...
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jason. Ambient light sources completely controlled (blackout curtains etc.). The issue will be reflected light from the screen. Light coloured walls, ceiling, floor, furnishings.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

It's not a big room either. I live in Hong Kong - in a narrow townhouse. The room is 3.6m long (along axis of PJ throw), and 4m wide.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Light colors can equate to ambient light, but a lot there depends on the layout. I suppose the question would be do you want the absolute best black levels possible, or would you prefer a more "poppy", colorful image? Pretend you cannot have both simultaneously...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jason. I picked the PJ up today and took it to the Stewart dealer. In no time we had it looking better than the (calibrated) VW85 on the SST with the same throw as my setup will have. Perhaps some new buyer bias there, but I was truly blown away!

I got the feeling that he was quite impressed with it out if the box as well! Anyway, I bought the screen, booked an installation and calibration, and feel more than a little impatient that I can't install it for a couple of weeks (house still being renovated).

My setup won't look quite as good as in the shop due to the light coloured room, but that was all the more reason to get the Firehawk material.

He had a fixed (and curved) G3 behind the SST. We watched Avatar with the SST half in the up position for some time. You could see the slightly higher gain on the G3, but both looked very similar. I just can't get the throw for the recommended minimum 1.6x screen width for the G3.

Bottom line is that I didn't hesitate to spend the extra once I saw what this combination is capable of.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad you got to view it in order to make an educated decision. Enjoy!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

It was an effort to drag it across town, but I needed to see if the extra coin made a real difference! Thanks for your input.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome...better to be safe than sorry when it comes to screens due to their custom order nature.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page