VPL-VW100 Problems. Any advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a VPL-VW100 Sony projector that is not clicking on. The lamp started being intermittent and now will not click on. I would normally think the lamp needs to be replaced but it only has 6 or 700 hours on it. I was considering selling it and buying a plasma instead. Anyone have any recommendations or advice. Is it simply a lamp problem or could something else be the issue? Is spending almost a thousand dollars on a sony lamp worth it for this projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 AM

Liked: 11
The same symptom could appear for a number of reasons :
  1. a defective lamp
  2. a lamp which became defective after an improper power outage (no cooling down)
  3. too much thermal paste between the bulb and its heatsink
  4. a weak lamp power supply if your VW100 S/N is below 2005136
If you installed yourself a replacement bulb into the heatsink, check #3 first.
Then check your VW100 S/N; if below 2005136, you may benefit from the Hard Start Mod Kit (A1206459A), available from Sony Parts.
Beware that if your S/N is within 2003987-2005136, you do not need the full kit.
Adding this kit may or may not make your "faulty" lamp start again.
Obviously, the less troublesome option is changing the lamp bulb alone, which is only 385 bucks on eBay [search for "Replacement Lamp LMP-H400 for Sony modules" by xenoarc].
post #3 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM

I recently started having similar issues. The unit won't fire up and just "clicks". Eventually the lamp/cover light stays light (solid) and per the manual it stated that the lamp was needing to be replaced. I was far from the 2000 hr lifespan but figured that it just perhaps went bad so dropped $700 bucks on a new one.

I just installed the new lamp and nothing has changed, it just clicks and never lights up.

My serial number is 2005600 + so per my research on AVSForum one would think I don't have the mod start issues, etc.

But it does seem like the lamp is not being ignited / turned on. I have taken the new lamp out and reinstalled it to make sure that everything was connected properly.

Any suggestions on what I can do??

Thanks for any help
post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Sorry for the late answer, was away from my desk.
I would say that a weak Lamp Power Supply is the most likely suspect, which would explain your start-up problem.
If you like to bet, you could order the Lamp Power Supply Block (1-468-952-11 or 1-468-952-12) from Sony Parts, but considering the price ($448) this would be a costly bet to loose if it is something else.
Probably safer to ship it to Sony for repair, but be sure to tell them the lamp is recent, otherwise they may replace it too.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 AM

I'm currently in the same situation, did anyone replace just the power block supply? Has anyone had any success/ failure ?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 PM

What is your Ruby S/N ?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM

S/n is 2000694 I'm aware that it falls into the range of a hard mod kit, I pulled it apart and found that it was never upgraded, Sony now wants $900.00 for the kit. I know I'm taking a risk, but I'm thinking of just replacing the power supply and adding a ferrite clamp only which would run me $400. Leaving the old igniter in place. Is this a bad move? Or should I consider trashing it before even trying? (Like many others)
post #8 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM

No way to tell if the power supply only would do it.
I do not assume the Sony engineers are dumb or wasteful, so I suppose ALL parts in the Hard Start Mod Kit are needed, one way or another, to achieve the proper result in 100% of the Rubys with this problem.
The kit used to be $700, only you can tell if getting back your Ruby fully operational is worth $900 bucks.
Or you may wait for the successor of the VPL-VW95, due this year (likely >> $3000).
But this one will have a UHP lamp, not a Xenon one, which has much better colors IMHO.

BTW, I found the same kit sold in Germany for 1585 € (about $2060) !
At that price, your choice would be much simpler... wink.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Lol, $2060. I have different opinions about Sony and the service mod kit, if they were that good we wouldnt be having this issue, so my opinion they just changing stuff out because it all falls in the same area.im going to take my chance at just doing the ballast only. I will post my results in a week or so.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibranny View Post

i m going to take my chance at just doing the ballast only.
In a previous post you said you wanted to replace the Power Supply, not the Ballast.
Be aware that the Power Supply is full of electronics parts, which could have "aged", while the "Ballast" is mostly a high voltage transformer, which either works or not.
I would not bet on the ballast being the sole problem, but for your sake I hope I am wrong...
post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the correction, i have been refering to changing the Lamp power supply Ballast all along, which would be a whole different thing then the units power supply. Right now the lamp wont start at all after repeated attempts, Does anyone have there "intermitting non-working or troublesome" old gutted parts available? this way i can test it with another ballast, igniter and troubleshoot my problem before buying any new parts. I will pay shipping fees and return your tested parts.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page