Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 551 Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do you have Despicable Me?

That one shows ghosting very obviously (the yellow of the minions against the white background) in the opening menus on the JVC RS series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 551 Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The only time I saw ghosting on a dlp was on a video game called Motorstorm on the PS3. It was a black background with a white object in the front and I could see ghosting on the left and right of the object. The rs40 ghosts on the exact opposite type of scenes (bright background with darker object in front).
post #273 of 551 Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

That one shows ghosting very obviously (the yellow of the minions against the white background) in the opening menus on the JVC RS series

I do have that title, so I will check out the menus when I get a chance, perhaps tonight.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #274 of 551 Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Liked: 10
Concur with Shinksma on the Xpand vs. Sharp glasses

Watched Dispicable Me the other night - no ghosting anywhere.
post #275 of 551 Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Btw. what's your prefrence in regard to iris 2?

When I took those pictures, I liked the added black levels, but when watching "King Arthur" last night, it kept turning down the light in a sudden and very obvious way. It's imposible to not notice the iris suddenly going from fully open to closed, during a close up of two persons talking.

Eventually I just turned it off, it was way too distracting.
post #276 of 551 Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM

set my settings as calibrated in Projectorreviews.com

Colors are now much better, blacks are still a little better on the infocus when in movie 1. In movie 2 they are much better than before but the shifting black level are still very noticable.
post #277 of 551 Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm a potential buyer of this projector. i've got a few questions for you owners

1) how is the brightness of the picture with 3d on and the glasses on? how does this compare to the 3d plasmas from panasonic/samsung? I currently have a 63" sammy plasma, how will the image/brightness/sharpness compare?

2) does this projector accept checkerboard, side by side, and top bottom? i have a PC with a 3d GPU and would like to run at 1080, but that requires one of those formats at 1080p.

3) how much do the bulbs cost, and how long should a bulb last?
post #278 of 551 Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I played Despicable Me just to see the menu minions, and did not see any ghosting.

Wish you could pause the menu action, just for giggles with that one minion coming right at you...

(btw, the minions remind me of Raymond's Raving Rabbids on the Wii...)

shinksma

post #279 of 551 Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I'm a potential buyer of this projector. i've got a few questions for you owners

1) how is the brightness of the picture with 3d on and the glasses on? how does this compare to the 3d plasmas from panasonic/samsung? I currently have a 63" sammy plasma, how will the image/brightness/sharpness compare?

2) does this projector accept checkerboard, side by side, and top bottom? i have a PC with a 3d GPU and would like to run at 1080, but that requires one of those formats at 1080p.

3) how much do the bulbs cost, and how long should a bulb last?

1. The 3D brightness with 3D on and wearing the glasses is quite acceptable to me on my DIY BOC screen (~1.0 gain). I don't have a 3D plasma or LCD to compare, sorry.

2. PJ accepts SBS and TAB for certain (specific modes you can enter from 3D menu). The manual does not indicate support for checkerboard.

3. I have no firm data on bulb costs - I saw that they are fairly expensive (~$400 or more based on some Googling), but that may change over time in either direction - I won't need one for years, I expect, and I see little value in buying one now "just in case" for my particular situation.

Hope that helps,

shinksma

post #280 of 551 Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I see this thread has settled well off the first page...guess not as much interest, or maybe just not any problems to banter about and we're all just enjoying the device.

I watched Despicable Me on the weekend - no ghosting that I could detect, but maybe I'm just not sensitive to it (I'm not exactly a spring chicken any more, more like a late-summer, early-fall type...).

The XpanD 103s certainly add a slight rose color to everything, as mentioned, and as a result you experience a drop in brightness, especially as your eyes color adapt. I think I will use the Sharp OEM glasses unless I want to let a guest use the Sharps and I relegate myself to a set of the XpanDs. The XpanDs will be useful if/when I get a 3D TV for the family room, though - won't have invest in a duplicate set of glasses...

I had commented:
Quote:
Wish you could pause the menu action, just for giggles with that one minion coming right at you...

The minion silliness during the menu is found in the movie credits, so you can pause it there, for those that weren't aware. yeah yeah, everyone already knew, I'm the last person to find out...

shinksma

post #281 of 551 Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You could go dlp link with some Ultraclear glasses from 3DHeaven. They are very nice and cheap.
post #282 of 551 Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

You could go dlp link with some Ultraclear glasses from 3DHeaven. They are very nice and cheap.

I already have a full complement of glasses, but thanks for the tip. Wouldn't DLPlink glasses require an HTPC source, though, since the Sharp doesn't do DLPlink natively?

shinksma

post #283 of 551 Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
This was something I was curious about as well:

Does the Sharp offer a DLP-Link glasses option? At a minimum, it's a given LINK is disabled by default, as IR glasses and built in emitter are included with the PJ.

EDIT: I may have an answer to my own question, as I found the manual: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_5914.pdf

There is no mention of DLP Link in the manual, only the wireless IR 3D settings. This may be the first 3D DLP PJ not to offer DLP Link as an option.
post #284 of 551 Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Wow, you appear to be correct. No cheap good glasses. The projector has to do the DLP Link flash, the HTPC doesn't. Other DLP 3D systems have it built in. They do DLP Link with the PS3 and such.
post #285 of 551 Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM

hi,

I've been today in HT show room and seen z-17000. 2d and 3d quality was excellent, excluding noise in the dark areas for 2d. It looked like the content was recorded witch cheap camcoders gaining darks too much, thus producing noice, but this was not the case as I was watching Sony demo discs.

Do you experience the same?
post #286 of 551 Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Just finished watching Despicable me,
no ghosting at all (I presume that it's the same as crosstalk?)
I have moved my screen 0,5 m closer to my seating position, and feel that the light output is more than sufficient for 3D. 92" 0,8 gain, 3.4m seating distance.
Still waiting for my BD 1.4 though, how it will affect 2D viewing worries me, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcik View Post

hi,

I've been today in HT show room and seen z-17000. 2d and 3d quality was excellent, excluding noise in the dark areas for 2d. It looked like the content was recorded witch cheap camcoders gaining darks too much, thus producing noice, but this was not the case as I was watching Sony demo discs.

I have not noticed this, did you test several movies or just one? If it's not present on the demo disc, maybe it's the movie you was watching...
post #287 of 551 Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM

it was a Sony demo disc with various types of content. There were also some movie trailers included. The movie grain effect caused the noise to look even more noticable. It was much a surprise to me, I hope there was something wrong with the setup...
post #288 of 551 Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcik View Post

hi,

I just finished watching Tron: Legacy (don't laugh, it's a mindless mild-sci-fi movie with Olivia Wilde, good action, nice though not mind-blowing 3D, and did I mention Olivia Wilde?). Tron: Legacy has lots of dark scenes or scenes with lots of dark parts, and I didn't see any noise. Must have been the set-up, probably the player set up.

shinksma

post #289 of 551 Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
I'm very interested in this projector but a little apprehensive about its 2D capabilities. Can anybody comment on the 2D performance when compared to a projector such as the Panasonic AE4000, a unit I currently own and have been extremely happy with. I also own the Acer h5360 for 3D and while being very impressed with it (especially given the cost) I'm still slightly put off by the occasional screen door effect in bright scenes, something I know I won't see with a 1080p projector like the Sharp. I'm planning on replacing both my projectors with the Sharp, dependent of course on how it stacks up against a panny ae4000 or similar projector.
post #290 of 551 Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

I'm very interested in this projector but a little apprehensive about its 2D capabilities. Can anybody comment on the 2D performance when compared to a projector such as the Panasonic AE4000, a unit I currently own and have been extremely happy with. I also own the Acer h5360 for 3D and while being very impressed with it (especially given the cost) I'm still slightly put off by the occasional screen door effect in bright scenes, something I know I won't see with a 1080p projector like the Sharp. I'm planning on replacing both my projectors with the Sharp, dependent of course on how it stacks up against a panny ae4000 or similar projector.

I have not seen the panny, but from reviews I think it might have the edge over the sharp in 2D, so would the X3 and sony.

But... if you allready have a dual projector setup, why not buy the sharp, keep the panasonic and then compare and see how you feel about it.
Then you'll have a 2D projector you really like, AND the best 3D projector on the market.
:-)
post #291 of 551 Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustmeF View Post

I have not seen the panny, but from reviews I think it might have the edge over the sharp in 2D, so would the X3 and sony.

But... if you allready have a dual projector setup, why not buy the sharp, keep the panasonic and then compare and see how you feel about it.
Then you'll have a 2D projector you really like, AND the best 3D projector on the market.
:-)

I would if I were Bill Gates, unfortunately I'm not
I've read reviews for the x3 and all say it's fantastic for 2D, mixed reviews for 3D.
My main concern with 3D is brightness (I only have a 1.0 gain screen) and the Sharp seems to be reasonable in that respect, certainly better than the x3.
post #292 of 551 Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

I would if I were Bill Gates, unfortunately I'm not
I've read reviews for the x3 and all say it's fantastic for 2D, mixed reviews for 3D.
My main concern with 3D is brightness (I only have a 1.0 gain screen) and the Sharp seems to be reasonable in that respect, certainly better than the x3.

Ye, brightness could be a problem, at 45 hrs. it's still good on my 92" 0.8 grey screen, running in Dynamic mode (a little brighter would'nt hurt). But I guess it will be too dim in some time.

if I had got the correct screen delivered last night, I could report on how it looks on a 1.4 Black Diamond... but due to some mixup in transport, I got a too big screen and have to return it. I'll get the new one monday (hopefully) and a week from now I'll have it up and running.
post #293 of 551 Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

set my settings as calibrated in Projectorreviews.com.

I'm curious on those settings...

My Z17k is installed and working. But I'd like your suggestions for the settings. I have a DIY Goo screen (~1.0).

Do you have a link to the projectorreview site?

Thx.
post #294 of 551 Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufmancd View Post

I'm curious on those settings...

My Z17k is installed and working. But I'd like your suggestions for the settings. I have a DIY Goo screen (~1.0).

Do you have a link to the projectorreview site?

Thx.

I used the settings found here:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/shar...alibration.php

I watch film in movie1 or if it's 3D I use Dynamic or Normal...
For Gaming I use Game mode, but if game is 2D I turn on eco.

I'll try to calibrate it when my new equipment arrives.
post #295 of 551 Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I used the settings....

I watch film in movie1 or if it's 3D I use Dynamic or Normal...
For Gaming I use Game mode, but if game is 2D I turn on eco.

Thanks. I'll give it a try this evening too.
post #296 of 551 Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone played 3D games on a PS3 with this PJ? Any ghosting with 3D games?
post #297 of 551 Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Yes, Crysis 2 and GT 5.

No Ghosting, but image is better on the slower pace of Crysis 2 :-)
post #298 of 551 Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

This projector is 100% ghost free, like all other DLP solutions. For what its worth, I'm blown away by both it's 2D and 3D performance. INCREDIBLE projector.
post #299 of 551 Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Here's a nice little review of the Sharp 3D -- scroll down a bit.

http://www.avsforum.com/
post #300 of 551 Old 04-23-2011, 08:36 PM

hey guys, does this projector require a polarized screen, or is regular white okay?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page