Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 589
What mount did you use?

Iamcdn, please give us a call if you decide to purchase one of these. We usually have a few in stock.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

What mount did you use?

Iamcdn, please give us a call if you decide to purchase one of these. We usually have a few in stock.

I will Mark. If I used a chief mount, how close to the ceiling could I mount this?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Are you talking the mount or PJ? I suspect you mean the PJ which I think is about $750-1000 overpriced but has good reviews that says it does what it says it should do. Also, the lack of posts here indicates it may be a good unit.

Seems that owner threads get really long when folks post about problems and then it goes on and on. On the other hand, unpopular products enjoy a short thread life as well.

I would buy this PJ in a heartbeat except it is overpriced in my opinion. There I said it. Way more than the predecessor and only 3d added. Did I mention the previous model has almost identical 2D performance at about half the price? Yeah I know there is an IR Emittor and 2 pairs of glasses but C'mon man.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I would like to know what mount Flint used to get lens center that close.

And we have the projector in stock usually.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Are you talking the mount or PJ? I suspect you mean the PJ which I think is about $750-1000 overpriced but has good reviews that says it does what it says it should do. Also, the lack of posts here indicates it may be a good unit.

Seems that owner threads get really long when folks post about problems and then it goes on and on. On the other hand, unpopular products enjoy a short thread life as well.

I would buy this PJ in a heartbeat except it is overpriced in my opinion. There I said it. Way more than the predecessor and only 3d added. Did I mention the previous model has almost identical 2D performance at about half the price? Yeah I know there is an IR Emittor and 2 pairs of glasses but C'mon man.

You may want to check the prices. It has gone down considerably in the last few weeks. It's starting to look pretty attractive.

Also there is a lot of engineering needed to add 3D. Sure the lamp and optics are probably the same, but the entire input system to the projector had to be re-engineered, and also carry double the video bandwidth. That costs money, and projectors are fairly low volume products.

Michael
Old 05-28-2011, 06:26 AM

I used a Chief mount from AVS. I also cut a hole in the ceiling tile to allow part of the mount to lie above the ceiling. The feet of the projector rest against the tile. I will try to post a photo later today. Love this projector!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Liked: 17
Here is confirmation from Texas Instruments on DLP ghosting:
"Although viewing a 3D movie with active glasses virtually eliminates ghosting, the glasses are expensive and need to be cleaned after every use."

Everyone's accurate observations are confirmed. You can see the difference.

http://www.dlp.com/cinema/digital-3d/default.aspx
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 AM

A candid ghosting admission from Sony that home theater consumers are not supposed to see:

3D on Sony 4K Projectors
"Most digital cinema projectors can only show an image to one eye at a time. They must alternate between the left eye image and the right. These systems are called triple-flash because they flash each picture three times. Sony 4K projectors have an advanced dual-lens adaptor system that shows two images to both eyes simultaneously, for more natural viewing. So you can enjoy the latest 3D content on the big screen, with depth so lifelike you’ll feel like you’re part of the action."

http://www.amctheatres.com/Sony4K/
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Liked: 11
Just got my projector mounted at the appropriate height and all I can say is WOW!! The 3D is awesome. Even my daughter, who isn't impressed much (typical teenager), was blown away. She said it was like actually being in the movie. @Mikes2cents, the extra $$ for the addition of 3D is worth it, and like someone else posted, the street price has dropped considerably on the unit.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 AM

If anyone can tell me what ceiling mount they are using and how close they could get the projector to the ceiling, that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn22 View Post

If anyone can tell me what ceiling mount they are using and how close they could get the projector to the ceiling, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm using the Chief RPA mount and the center of my lens is about 7" from the ceiling. I got one of the 2" extension tubes at Home Depot and add that to the Chief mounting apparatus. Could probably get it even closer to the ceiling if I needed to.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

A candid ghosting admission from Sony that home theater consumers are not supposed to see:

3D on Sony 4K Projectors
"Most digital cinema projectors can only show an image to one eye at a time. They must alternate between the left eye image and the right. These systems are called triple-flash because they flash each picture three times. Sony 4K projectors have an advanced dual-lens adaptor system that shows two images to both eyes simultaneously, for more natural viewing. So you can enjoy the latest 3D content on the big screen, with depth so lifelike you'll feel like you're part of the action."

http://www.amctheatres.com/Sony4K/

I don't really see this as a "ghosting admission". I could see this as a comfort problem, though, since each eye is alternating.

Michael
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

I'm using the Chief RPA mount and the center of my lens is about 7" from the ceiling. I got one of the 2" extension tubes at Home Depot and add that to the Chief mounting apparatus. Could probably get it even closer to the ceiling if I needed to.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Here are the pics of my projector lens mounted about 3 1/2 inches from the ceiling. The mount is a Chief mount with a dedicated RPA 173 plate attached to the projector.
LL
LL
Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Picked up my Sharp projector today. Yes, the placement is bit tough but my only main gripe is with the image adjust. I read that this proj was compatible with anamorphic lenses though when I use "resize" cinema mode zooms and crops the image rather than stretches?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Agreed. The thought of people paying for the Sony ES90, JVC RS60 or more(!) for other non DLP units with 3d being a BIG priority that have ghosting issues hurts to think about! The RS40 was more than I wanted to spend on a first gen 3d unit, but considering over 90% of my viewing would be 2d, it ended up being a good buy even with the mixed bag 3d.

I was able to see your Acer finally DejaVu at a friends house (I convinced him to buy it!) and I have to say I was impressed as far as the 3d went (2d while good for the price was expectedly no match for the JVCs, Sonys, etc...IMO)! While it had pros/cons compared to my RS40 as far as 3d, the HUGE advantage was the completely ghost free image which has been bothering me more as time goes on with my RS40 The horrible placement of the current DLPs prevent me from trying one out, but I am hoping for something more flexible in the near future that wont break the bank.......I am not holding my breath, but it would be great if it happened! As far as ghosting goes, my RS40 ranges from a handful of very minor instances (Avatar) to consistent, heavy and presentation ruining (IMO) levels (Dinosaurs Giants of Patagonia). Most of the discs have been on the lighter side to be fair, but this extreme range in too much for me and I am not totally happy with the 3d on this unit mainly because of that. 3d Gaming you can forget about on the RS40 as the ghosting is terrible......2d I am VERY happy with, but 3d is a mixed bag.

Would love to see this Sharp in action even if I cant work it into my setup just to see some ghost free 1080p 3d.

I appreciate your candor and hats off to you for posting an honest and rather blunt assessment of 3D with the RS-40 on the RS-40 thread. You have provided interested purchasers with, what I consider to be, transparency and disclosure, which is the "fair" approach to discussing just about anything. I only use the Nvidia glasses with my 720p DLP and I have heard several reports that the contrast is much better than with the DLP link glasses. I had a pair of DLP link glasses on order, but they never shipped so I made a claim through my credit card company and was reimbursed. My Acer has never embarrassed me when showing 3D to friends -- not that they'd particularly notice a little ghosting here and there, but I would. They would noticed heavy "ghosting" so in that case I'd have to blame the transfer.

The reviewers seem to forget that many owners in this day and age will use these 3D projectors for 3D gaming, or at least want to. IMO they are remiss if they don't include comments about how the projector stacks up in this area.

If I were to buy the Sharp or some future 1080p 3D DLP I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over using an HP screen just because of placement issues. I've used the HP screen with many projectors -- some mounted above the screen and some below and some just above or below head height and IMO the screen has always had a distinct advantage over other screens I have for added brightness.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I don't really see this as a "ghosting admission". I could see this as a comfort problem, though, since each eye is alternating.

Michael

I did some more research. It is difficult to get the simple plain truth.
My assumption is Sony uses three 4K SXRD panels (confirmed - see below*)
My opinion is the Sony digital cinema can use all the panels native 4K resolution for 2D pictures. For 3D they use half the pixels for each of the two images. The Real 3D system results in a brighter image, however for best picture quality, 2D and 3D require different lens to be mounted. Since most professional theaters are well known to have mediocre picture quality, it is no surprise they they are leaving 3D lens on for 2D pictures.

Quote:
"Sony projectors do not rapidly alternate two images. Our system displays both left and right eye images at the same time, all the time."

Sony could have designed to rapidly switch the pixels but choose not to, as the half resolution 3D images greatly reduce ghosting.
So the question is are all digital cinema 3D releases only 2K resolution?
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-dig...hefactslanding

Or can the 4K DLP digital cinema projectors display 3D at 4K resolution by switching?
Happily the latest DLP home theater 1080p chips can do 3D at the same resolution as 2D (which is why I'm here), and with the further added bonus of no polarization (light-robbing) issues.

Sony's messy professional DCI projector 3D solution should give little comfort to owners of expensive home theater SXRD projectors. They will be dim.

* Sony confirms half rez 3D:
3D Projection Lens Unit
"Attaching the 3D projection lens unit to its lens mount, the SRX-R320P can deliver crisp 3D images to screens up
to 50 feet in width at 4.5 ft-L brightness. It allows full 2K resolution for the left and right eyes simultaneously, resulting in a high-brightness, high-quality stereoscopic cinema presentation that offers more faithful reproduction of motion in 3D."
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f..._di0189a_2.pdf
Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

Just got my projector mounted at the appropriate height and all I can say is WOW!! The 3D is awesome. Even my daughter, who isn't impressed much (typical teenager), was blown away. She said it was like actually being in the movie. @Mikes2cents, the extra $$ for the addition of 3D is worth it, and like someone else posted, the street price has dropped considerably on the unit.

How was the brightness in 3D, and what size and type of screen are you using?

Michael
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 AM

I have a Focupix 106" 1.8 gain screen and the brightness is perfect. I'm in a fully light controlled room, and the projector is plenty bright in 3D. It is much brighter than my Panny plasma in the same room.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

how does the sharp compare to a JVC RS1 for 2D black levels and general picture quality?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
and also important for me: how does it compare in 2D against my RS20?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM

The Zeiss projector technology section "Utmost stability" in this document should be required reading:
http://www.vision.zeiss.com/C12567B0...Schorcht_e.pdf

Advances in professional projection technology gone haywire:
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-ne...xperience.html
Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Another disgustingly fine, kick-ass, knocked-our-socks-off review of the Sharp 17000:
http://www.maximumtech.com/sharp-xv-...ojector-review

As with my Panasonic plasma the Sharps 3D black level is considerably higher as the 3D glasses will lower it:
"To boost the Z17000’s light output, the Sharp programmed its DMD so that the mirrors never turn completely away from the lens. This sacrifices black levels to a degree, but we found the tradeoff worthwhile."
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Another disgustingly fine, kick-ass, knocked-our-socks-off review of the Sharp 17000:
http://www.maximumtech.com/sharp-xv-...ojector-review

I have seen that review and have to say that it is the most concise, to the point, sums it up, without in-depth testing review I have seen. Something like what Joe user would find just hooking the unit up which is very encouraging.

I have also seen the other in-depth reviews which ding the unit for this or that but cannot deny the 3D quality or general 2D capability. This is clearly the best 1080P 3D unit available, for now, though a tad pricey for me what with paying for a college tuition for junior and this crappy economy.

I would probably jump on this (risking divorce court) but I fear in six months there will be other options available and cheaper. Then I am in the serious dog house. Am I wrong here? I can wait if something better in value is on the horizon which is my prediction.

So to sum it up, this appears to be the PJ I want, but cannot afford, yet. I am still watching reviews from owners here as that carries the most weight with me as opposed to a short review period from a site which is provided a unit free of charge and may or may not have an unbiased opinion due to sponsorship etc. They pretty much never say great unit but dust blobs make it a POS in as short as 3 weeks. Get my point?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

i'm going to wait until cedia in September and if nothing better & cheaper comes along i will buy the sharp. maybe by then the price will drop some more.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM

I am sure something new will be announced in September but it probably wont be shipped until Nov or Jan. You may be waiting a while before something new comes out
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

i have a JVC RS1 I bought from you guys when it came out so I'm not in any hurry. By then more 3d content will be available. I'm hoping more dlp 3d projectors are announced with reasonable pricing and lens shift.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I bet there will be a Panasonic unit and if so the Sharp better cut their price in half because I will jump on the Panny. Don't get me wrong, Kudos to Sharp for a fine unit but if the next Panny goes 3D I am all over that. That 4K is a killer PJ and if it goes 3D, game over.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I bet there will be a Panasonic unit and if so the Sharp better cut their price in half because I will jump on the Panny. Don't get me wrong, Kudos to Sharp for a fine unit but if the next Panny goes 3D I am all over that. That 4K is a killer PJ and if it goes 3D, game over.

And that Panasonic unit will likely be an Epson based LCoS unit with lens memory........Tasty!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be so quick to say that the Panny would be a better 3D projector than the Sharp. DLP tech has proved to be the best for 3D projection so far. If the Panny is a LCOS based unit it will more than likely have the same ghosting issues as the current JVC units. For the price and the performance, the Sharp is where it is at.

Tags
Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector