Sharp xv-z17000 : New dlp full hd 3d projector - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 551 Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
killervette is the only I know of that posted a few weeks ago that has one.

I'd like to know more as well. Curious about the color wheel speed since RBE drives me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 551 Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gregor:

Apparently, Projector Central has a XV-Z17000.

In their review of the Sony VPL-VWPR01, they compare the two projectors in 2D.

No doubt they will be posting a review of the Sharp soon.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...otout-vs-Sharp
post #183 of 551 Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I sold at least three of these to AV Science forum members. So we should be getting more feedback. We have more in stock though I haven't played with one myself.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #184 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post

I am close to pulling the trigger on this - if fits my needs - and my theatre - perfectly. But I'd love some hands on reviews! Please post your thoughts.

So, I have only had time to watch 1 2D and 1 3D movie. This PJ replaced a Epson 1080UB Home Cinema.

I was able to mount the Sharp in the perfect spot so I am not using any keystone. I am shooting it on a 100" screen.

2D-Both me and my wife agree this PJ is MUCH nicer than the epson. It has better contrast, crisper picture, and nicer color. This is my first DLP Pj, and I have heard of some people having issues with a rainbow effect, but I dont see anything.

3D-I am not that familiar with ghosting in 3D. I assume it is what I am seeing on some fast moving objects in movie scenes. It is not that often, depends on the angle and color of the object it seems. I would say its not all that noticeable but I have only watched one movie. 3D is AWESOME! This is my first 3D display in the house. It took me some getting used to watching a 3D image on such a large screen, but it looks great. The brightness of the image with the glasses on is still more than adequate for me. My theater is dedicated with no ambient light though.

All in all, for the price, if I had the choice I would buy it again. Maybe in a couple years prices and tech will improve, but for being first to market and having a 3D home theater, I am happy.
post #185 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 AM

Hey killervette,

what kind of settings you use for watching 3D? Iris on high bright? bright boost on? Lamp in normal mode?

Redslim
post #186 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Any owners able to report whether the XpanD X103 glasses work with the Z17000? Any difference in performance from the Sharp glasses?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #187 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

Hi Killervette,

What kind of screen are you using?

Thinking of buying one myself, but I have a 92" Grandview grey 0,8 gain screen, and trying to figure out if I need a 1,3 gain or if a white 1,0 - 1,1 gain screen would be good.

Regards
Daniel
post #188 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by killervette View Post

So, I have only had time to watch 1 2D and 1 3D movie. This PJ replaced a Epson 1080UB Home Cinema.

I was able to mount the Sharp in the perfect spot so I am not using any keystone. I am shooting it on a 100" screen.

2D-Both me and my wife agree this PJ is MUCH nicer than the epson. It has better contrast, crisper picture, and nicer color. This is my first DLP Pj, and I have heard of some people having issues with a rainbow effect, but I dont see anything.

3D-I am not that familiar with ghosting in 3D. I assume it is what I am seeing on some fast moving objects in movie scenes. It is not that often, depends on the angle and color of the object it seems. I would say its not all that noticeable but I have only watched one movie. 3D is AWESOME! This is my first 3D display in the house. It took me some getting used to watching a 3D image on such a large screen, but it looks great. The brightness of the image with the glasses on is still more than adequate for me. My theater is dedicated with no ambient light though.

All in all, for the price, if I had the choice I would buy it again. Maybe in a couple years prices and tech will improve, but for being first to market and having a 3D home theater, I am happy.

If you're seeing "ghosting" with the Sharp then I'm sticking with my 720p Acer for 3D - it shows none, at least with 3D BD movies.
post #189 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killervette View Post

3D-I am not that familiar with ghosting in 3D. I assume it is what I am seeing on some fast moving objects in movie scenes. It is not that often, depends on the angle and color of the object it seems. I would say its not all that noticeable but I have only watched one movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

If you're seeing "ghosting" with the Sharp then I'm sticking with my 720p Acer for 3D - it shows none, at least with 3D BD movies.

Not sure this is the case, but from what I have read (because I haven't been able to experience it myself yet..grr, waiting is annoying) "ghosting" can also be source-dependent. killervette, which 3D movie did you watch?

shinksma

post #190 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
Not sure this is the case, but from what I have read (because I haven't been able to experience it myself yet..grr, waiting is annoying) "ghosting" can also be source-dependent. killervette, which 3D movie did you watch?

shinksma
That's not been my experience. I haven't seen any ghosting yet and I've seen much of what's commercially available. No ghosting in Space Station, Despicable Me, My Bloody Valentine, 7 Wonders of the Solar System, etc. There are lots of ghosting complaints with respect to movies I've seen, but I haven't seen any ghosting and others with both the RS-40 and a 720p DLP, for example, confirm that they don't see ghosting with the 720p DLPs but do with the JVCs. I was hoping the 1080p DLPs were ghost free too, at least for movies.
post #191 of 551 Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Killervette,

As you mentioned since you aren't familiar with ghosting, what you are describing doesn't sound like it. Ghosting of this sort is in 3d only. It looks like a faint double image right next to the real image. You can see it even when you pause the movie. The only time I've seen any ghosting at all on a dlp was on a Playstation 3 game called Motorstorm. It was a white object in front of a black background. If you look carefully there actually is a ghost image on both sides of the object.
post #192 of 551 Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I currently have a chief mount. If I get the plate for this projector along with the slider connection to allow me to center at the middle of the screen, I think I will still need to be dropped down by an inch. If I leave like this, what are the consequences? I can watch movies is a very slightly smaller picture?
post #193 of 551 Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 322
You will be using a pole to connect the slider on the ceiling to the mount and you can always change the pole to the exact length needed. Home depot has poles in the plumbing department (actually called 1 1/2 inch threaded pipe nipples) of various lengths). You will find the length you need. And if you are slightly off, you will have only a slight trapezoidial error when you have to slightly tip the projector down to fill the screen. If you have questions, please call me and I will explain further.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #194 of 551 Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

has there been any pro reviews on the new 3D sharp? Haven't heard from Petri, Kraine, Cine4home etc in a while for first impressions with these new models.

I'd like to know the lumen output with a D65 calibration.

edit:

I was hoping it was going to be brighter.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...otout-vs-Sharp

"Once optimized for video, the VWPRO1's 857 lumens is somewhat brighter than the 604 lumens of the Z17000"
post #195 of 551 Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the specs the lens is shifted 4 17/32" from the center. More than the standard 3" shift by the chief slider plate. Too much hassle for me. I think I will stick with getting an RS40.

EDIT. A projector this light, the cheif sliders can be extended out further.
post #196 of 551 Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

has there been any pro reviews on the new 3D sharp? Haven't heard from Petri, Kraine, Cine4home etc in a while for first impressions with these new models.

I'd like to know the lumen output with a D65 calibration.

review here:
Projectorreviews have reviewed it, I could post the link but I'm not link worthy yet ;-)

I wonder what screen would be best with this
post #197 of 551 Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustmeF View Post

review here:
Projectorreviews have reviewed it, I could post the link but I'm not link worthy yet ;-)

I wonder what screen would be best with this

I've read it but it seems like a preview. I am looking for specific measurements of the light output in it's various modes (2D and 3D).

I use a high gain 2.8HP screen with JVC RS50 and Acer 3D DLP. imo, the brighter the better in 3D with the shutter glasses that eat light like a black hole.
post #198 of 551 Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Hi,

Im also very surprised that there hasnt been more people buy into this PJ and more reviews of it?

Has anybody else found a reliable review apart from Arts?
post #199 of 551 Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I think I'm being repetitive and/or redundant and/or repetitive , cos I'm sure I've asked this before, but do the XpanD X103 glasses work with this PJ?

shinksma

post #200 of 551 Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
http://www.avguide.com/review/sharp-...1?src=Playback

Crap. This sounds like a killer product.

Do I now relegate the RS60 to 2D only duties? :P
post #201 of 551 Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so I think I'm being repetitive and/or redundant and/or repetitive , cos I'm sure I've asked this before, but do the XpanD X103 glasses work with this PJ?

shinksma

OK, the lack of responses triggered me to do a Google search, and I found this review:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...uct-Review.htm

It mentions that the XpanD X103s are compatible with the Sharp.

So now I just have to wonder whether the Sharp is as good as the JVC for my application (3D only, really), whether the lamp-life and fan noise are issues for me, and whether I want to move a ceiling fan that is currently positioned where the Sharp must go.

If I'd received my RS-40 already, I wouldn't be having this internal conversation, but such are the vagaries of JVC's manufacturing and shipping channels...

shinksma

post #202 of 551 Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

http://www.avguide.com/review/sharp-...1?src=Playback

Crap. This sounds like a killer product.

Do I now relegate the RS60 to 2D only duties? :P

I'd really like to know the lumen output in 3D mode. I believe it says it only uses RGB on the color wheel, not white which would likely reduce lumens.

I just measured the Acer 3D DLP @ 150 hours, it was ~1300 lumens at a rough D65 calibration and ~850 in 3D mode. This is considerably more than the JVC's put out by comparison.
post #203 of 551 Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The lack of lens shift is the deal breaker if using a High Power.
post #204 of 551 Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Hi,

Cheers for posting the links

I still dont understand why a single chip 1080p DLP projector would suffer from crosstalk, especialy considering single chip 720p models show nothing?
post #205 of 551 Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klvcarplake View Post

Hi,

Cheers for posting the links

I still dont understand why a single chip 1080p DLP projector would suffer from crosstalk, especialy considering single chip 720p models show nothing?

The review linked above claims the Sharp is "artifact free" at least as far as ghosting and flicker is concerned - it's starting to appear that the Sharp has the best 3D performance at the moment and that its 2D performance is also quite good. I don't like the price or lack of lens shift, BUT a Da-lite HP WILL work just fine with it. You may not get all the gain from the screen because of placement, but you will most likely get much more than a 1.0 gain screen - probably twice as much - how do I know? I've lived with projectors with similar offset and used a Da-lite HP screen and it worked much better (brighter) than a 1.3 gain screen which I also own!

I suspect they'll be other 1080p 3D DLPs coming to market soon for less money and more features, so I think I'll just enjoy my 720p 3D DLP a little longer - I don't think I'm suffering.
post #206 of 551 Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi,
Arts review mentions ghosting so maybe he had the 3D effect turned up to high?

Home Theater review says..
"The Sharp XV-Z17000 also provides a 3D Depth Adjustment option. This allows the viewer to either increase or decrease the 3D effect to their own preference. This option does work, but I did notice that as you increase the depth of the 3D effect, crosstalk (ghosting) can become more visible."
post #207 of 551 Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klvcarplake View Post

Hi,
Arts review mentions ghosting so maybe he had the 3D effect turned up to high?

Home Theater review says..
"The Sharp XV-Z17000 also provides a 3D Depth Adjustment option. This allows the viewer to either increase or decrease the 3D effect to their own preference. This option does work, but I did notice that as you increase the depth of the 3D effect, crosstalk (ghosting) can become more visible."

Do the JVCs provide this?

I was looking for it when I tried out the X3/RS40, as it was really needed.
If the Sharp has it and they don't, that'd be another deal-breaker...
post #208 of 551 Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Hi,

The X3 doesnt have adjustment for 3D depth AFAIA.
post #209 of 551 Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

shinksma

The XPAND web page FAQ lists Sharp among the TVs supported but doesn't really specifiy projectors.
http://www.xpand.me/support/faq/xpan...al-3d-glasses/

However I have tested the XPAND Model X103 with the Sharp XV-Z17000 3D projector and they work fine.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #210 of 551 Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cruce View Post

The XPAND web page FAQ lists Sharp among the TVs supported but doesn't really specifiy projectors.
http://www.xpand.me/support/faq/xpan...al-3d-glasses/

However I have tested the XPAND Model X103 with the Sharp XV-Z17000 3D projector and they work fine.

Bill - my understanding is that the type of screen also plays a big factor in whether there will be light loss as a result of using the Xpand glasses. Which screen do you have? Thanks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page