The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
yes, checkerboard is not real 1080p. It is however much better than halving the horizontal resolution. That is how current passive lcd's work, and it leaves much more visual problems than checkerboard, which is a really brilliant solution to hdmi limitations and much better to look at.

Good silver screens don't hotspot. I have a Vutec Silverstar screen and hotspotting isn't a problem at all, but a shimmer on really bright scenes is. It very seldom shows up in movies, and isn't bothersome to me.

How you handle 2D is a really good question.
Not to delve too off topic, but on checkerboard, I agree for the most part. It works very well off my PC @ 1080p/60 in 3D (with a beefy GPU in the PC), but when I tried it with the PS3 and Mitsubishi checkerboard to HDMI 1.4 adapter ($100), the PS3 was very disappointing for gaming. Despicable Me on bluray 3D looked fine, and PC games look great, but the 720p/60 3D on the PS3 looks really bad in comparison. Could just be that my set is native 1080p so sending 1080/24 to it works much better than the additional scaling needed to fill the screen with 720p 3D gaming content, but whatever it is, it looks much worse. I suspect it will look better on my Optoma 3D 720p projector (once the HDMI 1.4 adapters are available for it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav
How will this dual passive setup work with 2d content? Is one projector simply turned off for 2d? Is everything then a little off-center?

Also, maybe this is an advantage of the Dolby method not requiring a silver screen,since in 2d those silver screens may hotspot too much? What about the filters, do they need to be moved from the lightpath every time to watch 2d?
Because both projectors are exactly aligned, you can run them both for 2D if so choose. I haven't decided yet till I'm done evaluating the screens and the filters.

One reason I'm now leaning back to Linear polarized is because I can keep using my BD II, which I just love for 2D. With circular that goes out the window.

Kinda like how bright two RS40s are lookin in 2D tho! But realistically, one has been fine till now. And your alignment has to be absolutely pixel-perfect in 2D or it looks wrong. Whereas in 3D you can actually be off a pixel or two and you never notice a thing, your brain puts the two side back together perfectly.

So, if Linear works out nicely for me and the head tilt thing isn't an issue, I'll probably just alternate the projectors in 2D to save hours on the bulbs. But if you WANTED to, the splitter and the 3DXL units will just pass the 2D thru to the projectors unchanged.
post #273 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Ok - I was unable to resist the temptation to put everything together before the arrival of my new 3D screen...

Completed the assembly tonight with a crude stacking methodology (ie the pjs are literally "stacked" on top of each other), and fired them at my BD II, even tho I know the BD II is not retaining proper polarisation.

The results were far more impressive than I thought! All surface structure on the screen disappeared. Ie the sparklies disappeared, and the terrible surface distortions were gone too. Very interesting.

However, because of the loss of some circular polarisation on the BD II, there was significant ghosting in some scenes.

Nevertheless, I watched A LOT of films tonight in 3D. Very nice.

I took a few shots without the RealD glasses on the camera...

And let me tell you... This setup is BRIGHT!!!

Gorgeous!

I can't believe all this was done by one person, you are amazing!
post #274 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconBycon View Post

Gorgeous!

I can't believe all this was done by one person, you are amazing!

Lol! Thank you! But it just boils down to tinkering, I think

But by putting up this thread I think it'll make it a LOT simpler for others and encourage them to take that first step, knowing what to expect and that it's pretty easily doable.
post #275 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Hi all, I'm coming to the party late as I've just seen this thread. Some thoughts as we did a dual Projection 3D rig for live medical procedures about 10 years ago. The projectors were Sanyo LCD's. The way We handled the projectors internal polarizers was to "scrub" the polarization using transparent mylar sheets in front of the projectors lens. We then repolarized with conventional linear polarizers in front of the Mylar & normal orientation glasses. Worked like a charm. The pain was balancing light output as the projector lamps aged. Ended up using a variable iris scavenged from a large format enlarger. Rube Goldberg but it worked. Screen was a 120" Silver lenticular. Hope this Helps.
post #276 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmoFreddy View Post

Hi all, I'm coming to the party late as I've just seen this thread. Some thoughts as we did a dual Projection 3D rig for live medical procedures about 10 years ago. The projectors were Sanyo LCD's. The way We handled the projectors internal polarizers was to "scrub" the polarization using transparent mylar sheets in front of the projectors lens. We then repolarized with conventional linear polarizers in front of the Mylar & normal orientation glasses. Worked like a charm. The pain was balancing light output as the projector lamps aged. Ended up using a variable iris scavenged from a large format enlarger. Rube Goldberg but it worked. Screen was a 120" Silver lenticular. Hope this Helps.

Ouch - that's the hard way, and you'll lose a lot of light repolarising.

What I ended up doing was using a retarder (two quarter wave plates) to rotate the existing polarisation to the desired angle. It's pretty cool and loses almost no light.

For instance, for the linear setup, I can rotate the horizontal polarisation of the first pj -45 degree, and the second pj +45 degrees, thereby ending up with standard 135/45 degree Linear system like IMAX.

For circular, I can rotate the horizontal polarisation on both projector, 90 dgrees to vertical, then apply left or right circular polarisation to each, for fully RealD compatible light. Even after the plates and the circular polarisation, over 80% of the light is left over.

Its really a beautiful thing!
post #277 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Ouch - that's the hard way, and you'll lose a lot of light repolarising.

What I ended up doing was using a retarder (two quarter wave plates) to rotate the existing polarisation to the desired angle. It's pretty cool and loses almost no light.

For instance, for the linear setup, I can rotate the horizontal polarisation of the first pj -45 degree, and the second pj +45 degrees, thereby ending up with standard 135/45 degree Linear system like IMAX.

For circular, I can rotate the horizontal polarisation on both projector, 90 dgrees to vertical, then apply left or right circular polarisation to each, for fully RealD compatible light. Even after the plates and the circular polarisation, over 80% of the light is left over.

Its really a beautiful thing!

We needed a brute force system that could be used anywhere with any type of projectors without checking how they were internally polarized. I'm going to pick up a couple of Pioneer FPJ1's & am going to do a dual setup. I'll definitely try it your way.
post #278 of 2283 Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmoFreddy View Post

We needed a brute force system that could be used anywhere with any type of projectors without checking how they were internally polarized. I'm going to pick up a couple of Pioneer FPJ1's & am going to do a dual setup. I'll definitely try it your way.

That should work nicely I believe the RS2s were linear polarised together on all colors too (of course, you should test this to make sure, and post results here for all of us!).
post #279 of 2283 Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Rdjam, I looked into the Sim2 pj's I asked about and whether they will accept 1080p @ 24fps, and/or there have been updates, and like you, I did not find any info. The website has no firmware updates for the Grand Cinema HT300 E Link at all. I find ths funny because the pj comes with what I pressume is a video scaler(hence the name E-Link) yet mentions nothing of accepting 1080p @ 24fps when I know competing dlp pjs of that time, like Runco, that were 720p native and did accept it. I would like to stick to dlp because I won't have to fool with this polarization issue which I have 0 knowlede of. Anyone else out there looking to do this project with two dlp's like mysef please chime in with a good dlp unit that will do this system justice? I really like the idea of the extra brightness for 3D with two pjs and since many are upgrading to a single 3D unit soon, I am thinking there will be some decent preowned pjs out there for sale. Depending on any input I get back, I may just wait until the day an affordable 3D LED DLP unit is availabe lol.
post #280 of 2283 Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Previously posted relative to the introduction of a 3D demultiplexing dongle announced by HDFury.

Quote:

That certainly sounds interesting - a lot will depend on whether something that small and simple sounding will be able to recognize and separate all the various 3D formats.

For Bluray 3D, the task of demuxing is dead-easy, as it truly is mutliplexed and follows a cut and dry standard - but other SBS and TAB formats are not truly multiplexed and need to be interpreted or manually directed.

But the more options the better.

HDFury has a forum up on their 3D demux now. No posts (other than my own). The description on their main forum page for this topic thread, indicates that it will handle most all of the 3D formats including top-bottom, side-by-side, and frame packing, so this could be a hot item if they ever bring it to the table. In private mail, it was indicated that it would also be firmware upgradeable through a USB port.

http://dme.ghost2.net/forum/viewforu...6beb8ae7d5933d

Also, glad to see the progress you are making on your dual projector system rdjam. Sound's like you've got it made. Will be waiting for your reports on 3D screens with "baited breath"
post #281 of 2283 Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Screen tests Part 1 are tomorrow night (Sunday).

Part 1 will consist of Circular polarisation retention, on a variety of screen materials. I cant test Linear polarisation yet, as the new linear lenses with the "rotation" to 135/45 degrees are about a week away, I figure.

Circular is pretty tough to maintain - certainly harder than linear. So it's safe to say that if a screen excels at Circular, then it should excel at Linear, also.

It may turn out that ALL of my sample screens perform superbly, since they were all selected because they were designed for 3D. Probably down the road I will also test some "not so 3D" screens that still get mentioned in some of the 3D discussions, for a comparison.
post #282 of 2283 Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
rdjam,

I really appreciate that you post your findings here so I can enjoy reading about your 2 PJ 3D trials. I would have loved to try it out for myself - but circumstances don't allow it at the moment. Keep up the good work! It would be really cool to see it in person. Alas, Miami is a bit far off for me...
post #283 of 2283 Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, Drexler - it has to be seen to be believed. Very smooth and bright. Was definitely worth the effort.
post #284 of 2283 Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Round one of the screen tests will be tonight.

This will test circular polarisation only, as new Linear lenses not here yet. However, circular is more difficult to maintain, to Linear results will be better, anyway, than whatever circular results get posted.

Will be testing the following screen materials that I have rounded up:

Harkness Spectral 240
Screen Innovations Solar 1.3
Dalite 3D Virtual Gray
Dalite Silver Matte
Stewart Silver 3D
Stewart Silver 5D

Although my Black Diamond II is not circular compatible, it still does maintain significant circular polarisation, although not enough to prevent ghosting artifacts. So I will also be benchmarking it to get an idea of what test result would equate to what level of ghosting, and to determine "fail points" for other screens in the benchmarking now or later.
post #285 of 2283 Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well - started the tests a bit late, on account of da Superbowl

Good and bad results tonight. But the main summary points are: (1) circular is definitely not the way to go (2) the Solar HD 1.3 I just got from SI that was supposed to be circular compatible retains almost zero polarisation.

Also, these results are not complete, as it seems I left the Harkness sample in the office - and I neglected to run the "baseline" measurement with just the pure filters, without screen interplay, to see what the theoretical maximum retention COULD be.

I will edit this post tomorrow night with the additional numbers.

That said, here is what I found tonight. Remember, these are not precise, as they are based on eyeballing the test patterns.

In order of performance on retaining circular polarisation:

Stewart 3D - 80 to 81 %
Stewart 5D - 77%
Dalite Silver Matte - 77%
Dalite 3D Virtual Grey - 70%
SI Solar HD 1.3 - almost 0%

Overall, I am very disappointed in the performance seen in these tests. Even the very best screen in the tests barely retained more than 80% of the circular polarized light, meaning that there will always be some situations where ghosting may be an issue, no matter what you throw at it.

This would explain why RealD has to go to such technological lengths to pre-process movie material, estimate the ghosting, then cancel an appropriate amount of light from the other image. They certainly make it work well in the theaters, but that is not a realistic approach for a home theater.

The Harkness screen may still outperform the Stewart when I test it tomorrow, but it is still likely to not be able to retain a perfect score with circular.

So, while I had originally thought that circular would be the perfect solution, as it allows me to move my head more, my testing has shown me the error of my pre-conceptions.

So it is looking extremely likely that Linear polarized is the way to go.

Btw - until you have seen 3D at 48 frames per second, using frame interpolation, and flashed at 96 hz - you just cannot understand what you are missing.

I wish that I could have shown James Cameron how amazing Avatar looked on this system tonight. It was never so clear and easy to follow the movement in the theater.

The scenes where they are flying through the valleys and floating mountains were absolutely spectacular. And the action scenes just didn't break up at all, like the way they did in the theater.

And How to Train Your Dragon was amazing also. Particularly the fight scenes, such as at the beginning, where they introduce Astrid, and the huge dramatic battle with the Uber-monster at the end. The intro to the battle in the ring, where the camera is flying, circling the ring with all the people just highlights how crystal clear and smooth this system is with the FI. I promise you you've never seen anything like it.

Anyway. More results tomorrow. But I think we are now drawing close to the end of all the investigation for the ultimate system. And it looks more and more likely that Linear will win this by a longshot.

I'm hoping that the end result will be a screen that allows good 2D qualities, not just 3D. I'm holding hopes out for my trusty BD II to come through in the linear tests next weekend.

Cheers.
post #286 of 2283 Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Everyone. I cannot stress enough how spectacular a dual projector system is.

This setup has met and exceeded every expectation I had of it when it was being conceptualized.

Whether your projectors have frame interpolation or not, the images are MUCh brighter, and totally flicker free, in comparison to active systems.

And even tho circular polarisation proved to be a dead-end, it still looked spectacular even with the slight ghosting. The fact that Linear ended up being almost perfect extinction, shows that you CAN have the perfect 3D system without having to purchase a super-high-end projection system.

This can be done with very inexpensive projectors too, on a much smaller budget.

The Optoma 3DXL boxes I chose for this system have worked out perfectly. The left and right channels are absolutely in perfect sync. This allows perfect immersion, even with FI turned on. The perfect test for this performance is the rolling credits at the end of 3D movies.

I am going to build a couple more test systems with the same 3DXL boxes I have here. One system will be with an inexpensive pair of 1080p pjs, and the other system will be with dual 720p projectors. These are likely to be DLP units, using linear polarisers.

I'm stoked.
post #287 of 2283 Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Awesome stuff, however you didn't mention how the Harkness test went. I have had a Harkness screen sitting in my closet for over 3 years waiting for the rest of 3D to catch up. I am pretty happy with my active system now, but really want to game in 1080p60 which only dual projectors will do. Stupid nVidia not supporting that sucks. Of course, I will want the dual 3DXL's too, so I will need 4 long hdmi cables.
How does the one remote controlling both projectors work?
post #288 of 2283 Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

AND ANOTHER THING!

Being able to rotate the polarisation of the projector now means that we can ALSO use a LINEAR polarised passive system on these JVC units, not just circular.

This really changes all my considerations.

We can use a half wave filter plate like a mentioned, to change the JVC's horizontal polarisation -45 degrees for one eye, and +45 degrees for the other. It will THEN work with the STANDARD 135/45 degree linear glasses available anywhere.SWEEEEEEET........

I will be adding linear passive back into my system options and testing that here also. Will also edit my opening posts to reflect the new info.

Since both JVC projectors would have he same (horizontal) polarization, I assume one projector would need the addition of a 1/4 wave filter and the other projector a 3/4 wave filter in order to get the -45 and +45 deg. orientations.

Also very interesting results for the screen tests with circular polarization.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #289 of 2283 Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Awesome stuff, however you didn't mention how the Harkness test went. I have had a Harkness screen sitting in my closet for over 3 years waiting for the rest of 3D to catch up. I am pretty happy with my active system now, but really want to game in 1080p60 which only dual projectors will do. Stupid nVidia not supporting that sucks. Of course, I will want the dual 3DXL's too, so I will need 4 long hdmi cables.
How does the one remote controlling both projectors work?
Yep - I went and left the Harkness sample in my office and didnt realize till I started testing. Made a note to update the post when I run it tonight. Oddly, Harkness sent me a perforated sample, but it shouldn't affect the extinction tests, as long as I put some black backing behind it for the tests.

I'm really perplexed why NVidia doesn't support dual 1080p output. They could easily do it. There are aftermarket products like DDD etc, but they are buggy and spotty compatibility.

I would gladly pay NVidia an upgrade charge to enable dual HDMI output with 3D Vision.

The JVC's have a setting in the service menu, apparently, that lets you set the projector to "remote 1" or "remote 2" - I just sent a pm to GaryB this morning to ask him how to enable that. Otherwise you have to satd next to the projectors and let the remote "peek" thru your fingers at the IR port for one pj or the other, when setting up.
post #290 of 2283 Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Since both JVC projectors would have he same (horizontal) polarization, I assume one projector would need the addition of a 1/4 wave filter and the other projector a 3/4 wave filter in order to get the -45 and +45 deg. orientations.
Yep - that kinda thang

Quote:
Also very interesting results for the screen tests with circular polarization.
The screen tests are essential. Much of the posts I see in various threads focus on whether a screen works or not, with jubilant cries of "100%!", when in fact, it is much more of a grey area than that (no pun intended ).

So while my "exact number" of, say, 81% might not be precisely precise, the methodology is sound, and the relative comparison is accurate. That 20% of circular light that is still being de-polarised by even the best screen will still cause ghosting in certain situations.

So by testing, I hope to achieve as close to perfect as possible, and be able to recommend a combination that regular folks almost CAN'T go wrong with. The less people that have to go through the arduous process of design/test/rethink/design/test, the better.

I fully expect the above-tested screens to do much better with Linear polarised light than they did with Circular. How MUCH better is the big question that I will hopefully find out this coming weekend...

I am so blown away with how amazing this setup looks in 3D at the moment, that I almost want to set up a stand at every show so people can just understand the difference. It completely BLOWS AWAY what I have seen in even the very best theater presentation. And even the high-end 3D systems I've seen at CEDIA and CES would be challenged to produce as smooth and clear an image as that produced by the Frame Interpolation - even if they may be brighter than this setup.

Anyone who tells you that 24 fps film-based 3D is not massively improved by FI either doesn't really have anything to compare it to, or is lying. The difference is stunning. This thing has turned out every bit as amazing as I daydreamed it would be...
post #291 of 2283 Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM

^^^^^^^^Rdjam, just wondering how you are able to watch Avatar in 3D. I thought it was only available exclusively to Panasonic Gear owners or are you converting it from 2D to 3D via your PC? Sorry if you already mentioned how this was done in earlier in the thread. Also you mentioned using 720p dlp pj's with linear polarization, but when I asked about the Sim2 pj's another member said the filtrs weren't needed. I am really into this project, but totally confused as to what projectors to use and what is needed especially dlps. I want to purchase as little equipment as possible as I am a firm believer the Human Eye - more importantly "My Eyes" will only see so much. I don't mind doing some calibration and learning about certain settings, but adding processor after processor into the mix in my opinion, especially when it come to car audio, a hobby of mine, always ends up with worse sound than keeping it simple. Any input is apprecited.
post #292 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytser View Post

^^^^^^^^Rdjam, just wondering how you are able to watch Avatar in 3D. I thought it was only available exclusively to Panasonic Gear owners or are you converting it from 2D to 3D via your PC? Sorry if you already mentioned how this was done in earlier in the thread. Also you mentioned using 720p dlp pj's with linear polarization, but when I asked about the Sim2 pj's another member said the filtrs weren't needed. I am really into this project, but totally confused as to what projectors to use and what is needed especially dlps. I want to purchase as little equipment as possible as I am a firm believer the Human Eye - more importantly "My Eyes" will only see so much. I don't mind doing some calibration and learning about certain settings, but adding processor after processor into the mix in my opinion, especially when it come to car audio, a hobby of mine, always ends up with worse sound than keeping it simple. Any input is apprecited.

I also got a Panasonic 3D plasma, and got the Avatar 3D Bluray pack. It works with any 3D Bluray player, not just Panasonic. It's also readily available on eBay, for $$$...

DLP projectors generally don't have polarized light paths, so it's very easy to install linear filters, you'll just lose about half the light output. JVC dila projectors are generally linear polarized horizontally, so you need fancier filters to "rotate" the polarization to the correct angles, but you keep 80% of the light.

Any projector being considered should be tested to determine it's polarity, as outlined in the opening posts. If you want to post the results here in this thread, we can help recommend how to approach it.

You're right, keeping the signal clean and simple is best usually. This setup simply separates the left and right video channels and sends then to each pj.
post #293 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

rdjam,

I have several 1080p projectors mounted to the ceiling in my HT which I alternate. None are used in a stacked configuration.

Two models DLP are light cannons. I'd like to determine which, if either, would be the better candidate for a dual polarized 3D setup. The models are:

Optoma TX1080 w/ 3600 lumens (max) @ 2200 CR
Dell 7609WU w/ 3850 lumens (max) @ 2700 CR

I have a second Dell 7609WU being repaired that would make a matched pair.

PS - I'm in snow-free Miami, too.
post #294 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed after I posted, a link was automatically created to Amazon.com for the TX1080. They have it for sale at $1999.

This projector can be found for $1200.

(BTW, I don't post prices but, since I was the very first moderator of these AVS projector forums back in the day, well . . . .)
post #295 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rdjam, I'd like to have your crosstalk test picture and methodology.
I'd like to compare with my dual projector setup with linear filters on the Harkness screen.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #296 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:

I also got a Panasonic 3D plasma, and got the Avatar 3D Bluray pack. It works with any 3D Bluray player, not just Panasonic. It's also readily available on eBay, for $$$...

DLP projectors generally don't have polarized light paths, so it's very easy to install linear filters, you'll just lose about half the light output. JVC dila projectors are generally linear polarized horizontally, so you need fancier filters to "rotate" the polarization to the correct angles, but you keep 80% of the light.

Any projector being considered should be tested to determine it's polarity, as outlined in the opening posts. If you want to post the results here in this thread, we can help recommend how to approach it.

You're right, keeping the signal clean and simple is best usually. This setup simply separates the left and right video channels and sends then to each pj.

Ah, I see. Makes more sense to me now. I just assumed I didn't need the filters based on the comments another member made. However I could have sworn I just read in Soud & Vision magazine that the Avatar 3D bluray pack was for Panasonic only. Not sure what that hogwash is all about. Also, would one be able to use a custom paint mix for screen usage? Certainly a person woud no doubt have to experiment with quit a few different mixes for best results.
post #297 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Avatar disc only comes with the panasonic. You can't buy it in Best Buy for instance. It is however a standard Bluray 3D disc and will play on any player. My friend got the Samsung kit with How To Train Your Dragon, one of my favorite movies ever, and I have watched it a few times on my HTPC.

You are never going to get a good polarized screen out of paint. You would have to spray it, and it just isn't worth trying. The harkness screen material for a 120" screen cost me 360 bucks a few years ago. By the time you get done with your painted screen you will have more into it and it won't perform as good.

If you are doing polarized with DLP Projectors all you need is the cheap linear filters and some linear glasses. The glasses from the theater won't work, but you can buy the linear glasses very cheap.
post #298 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 AM

rdjam

I am really enjoying your excellent thread. Kudos! I look forward to your
tests with linear polarization.

A while back, you mentioned that you were having trouble with left/right
images being synchronized as a result of hdmi output problems from your
receiver. You ordered an hdmi splitter....

1. Did you ever receive the splitter?
2. If you did, did the splitter solve your problem?

You may have posted about this and I missed it....My apologies if so.

Thanks! Great thread.

Sticks
post #299 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

The Avatar disc only comes with the panasonic. You can't buy it in Best Buy for instance. It is however a standard Bluray 3D disc and will play on any player. My friend got the Samsung kit with How To Train Your Dragon, one of my favorite movies ever, and I have watched it a few times on my HTPC.

You are never going to get a good polarized screen out of paint. You would have to spray it, and it just isn't worth trying. The harkness screen material for a 120" screen cost me 360 bucks a few years ago. By the time you get done with your painted screen you will have more into it and it won't perform as good.

If you are doing polarized with DLP Projectors all you need is the cheap linear filters and some linear glasses. The glasses from the theater won't work, but you can buy the linear glasses very cheap.

That makes more sense now. For some dumb reason I thought the bluray was only compatible with Panasonic, but in fact it is just bundled with the 3D kit or whatever, I guess I need to read a little closer next time, sorry for the dumb question. I guess I am going to have to build a frame and look into some screen material. Is anyone out there planning on doing 2.35:1 with this set up? Although the lenses would be another cost to factor iinto the equation and not the cheapest route to go.

Thanks for the info on the screen wnielsennbb, it is much appreciated.
post #300 of 2283 Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence View Post

rdjam,

I have several 1080p projectors mounted to the ceiling in my HT which I alternate. None are used in a stacked configuration.

Two models DLP are light cannons. I'd like to determine which, if either, would be the better candidate for a dual polarized 3D setup. The models are:

Optoma TX1080 w/ 3600 lumens (max) @ 2200 CR
Dell 7609WU w/ 3850 lumens (max) @ 2700 CR

I have a second Dell 7609WU being repaired that would make a matched pair.

PS - I'm in snow-free Miami, too.

I think that the Optoma and the Dell could probably work together, despite the slight difference in specs. I was using mismatched projectors for a while and my eyes didnt notice (except for lag times, when I enabled FI on them, as the lags times were different). However, if you can use the two identical models, even better, as less to worry about.

Three possible issues to check for: (1) If you are going to play Bluray 3D content thru this, make sure that the PJ can accept 24p input, even if it only displays at 60p thats fine, (2) Check the polarisation of the light output, as described on the first page of this thread (3) If using mismatched projectors, you may want to check if there is any video processing lag time differences between them, which can make for really wierd viewing, and a headache. There's a thread up for "Projector Lag times" if you do a search. Shortcut is to turn off all video processing if using mismatched projectors. If you already have them, then its easy just to run them and see, tho..
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page