The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2269 Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

pc with 450 gtx
3d-xl
optoma hd67n

my problem is that the 3d-xl goes blank wen playing 3d movie ( i have to switch to hdmi2 then 1 till image comes back)
i tried to set the resolution to 1920x1080 but the 3d movie opens at a part of the screen at 3d mode , wen setting at 720p it plays at full screen but i have to switch the hdmi selector.

ps3 works perfectly.

Unsure. I haven't used that configuration. I keep meaning to hook up PC for 3D but ended up waiting for new setup to be finished.

I think it may be beat to use 720. The 3dxl will only output 720 anyway in single projector mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello again, with a small update on my own dual-projector setup.
I previously had difficulties with the 24p mode : the ATI driver crashed when trying to use 24p with Eyefinity, it's now solved.
I just tried it with the latest Catalyst driver (11.2) and 24p mode just works and looks very good.
Although I am not very sensitive to the jitter caused by the 24p->60Hz conversion, I did notice the improvement in long panning and travelling shots.

When using Eyefinity, the 24Hz output is not shown as available by default in the driver, I had to manually add the resolution through the "HDTV resolutions" tab.

The displays need the Eyefinity display grouping in order to be perfectly synchronized. When letting the two projectors configured as independent displays (the usual Dual-projector modes in most 3D-aware software) the projectors go in and out of sync very often, and a 1-frame lag is highly visible and painful even at 60Hz.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #363 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post

The displays need the Eyefinity display grouping in order to be perfectly synchronized. When letting the two projectors configured as independent displays (the usual Dual-projector modes in most 3D-aware software) the projectors go in and out of sync very often, and a 1-frame lag is highly visible and painful even at 60Hz.

That's interesting. Why do you think that is? Something to do with the driver?
post #364 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I was just thinking of pictures of the setup - not pictures on the screen.
Your descriptions have been good.

Darn - I forgot to take a bunch of pictures and headed for another flight for the weekend. Nonetheless, here is a pic of the two RS40s in the projection cabinet, with my makeshift lense holder.

There are two adjustable shelves being made for the pjs, which will rest on one thumbscrew at back center, and a right and left thumbscrew up front.

And I've had an idea to show the projection difference: high speed video! I'll shoot high speed video through the glasses and slow it down ten times to show the difference in the video displayed. Should work like a charm.
LL
post #365 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I forgot to take a bunch of pictures .

BAD BOY

Have a Good Weekend.

Obviously alignment is a difficult job.
post #366 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's interesting. Why do you think that is? Something to do with the driver?

The reason is that synchronisation between multiple displays isn't really required under normal multi-monitor usage. You usually have one application running on one screen and another running on the others. Synchronization not being important, GPU drivers don't take special attention to this detail.
When synchronisation is critical, GPU manufacturers provide specialized professional solutions to lock the outputs, but that's not planned for consumer hardware.

Most consumers also have different types of displays often working at different refresh rates (an old CRT monitor at 75-100Hz, a recent LCD monitor at 60.00Hz, a TV at 59.96Hz, 29.97Hz or 23.98Hz, etc...) so the most logic default behaviour would be to leave each display running on it's own clock independently from the others.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #367 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post

The reason is that synchronisation between multiple displays isn't really required under normal multi-monitor usage. You usually have one application running on one screen and another running on the others. Synchronization not being important, GPU drivers don't take special attention to this detail.
When synchronisation is critical, GPU manufacturers provide specialized professional solutions to lock the outputs, but that's not planned for consumer hardware.

Most consumers also have different types of displays often working at different refresh rates (an old CRT monitor at 75-100Hz, a recent LCD monitor at 60.00Hz, a TV at 59.96Hz, 29.97Hz or 23.98Hz, etc...) so the most logic default behaviour would be to leave each display running on it's own clock independently from the others.

What if you made one large virtual desktop with each output showing one half - should that ten be synchronized?
post #368 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

BAD BOY

Have a Good Weekend.

Obviously alignment is a difficult job.

hehheh!

Once they are aligned, it's not too bad - but minor adjustments right now require very delicately turning the feet without moving the pj accidentally, and that IS a pain when you mess up

The images will even move a little when the units warm up, so I've learned to just leave them alone till warm, before deciding if they need tweaking. The last few nights have been perfect each time, no adjustment needed, so it bodes well for it being pretty stable once adjusted.

Am now pixel for pixel and watching 2D with the lights on, thanks to the BD II. It's like having a 2400 lumens RS40.
post #369 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What if you made one large virtual desktop with each output showing one half - should that ten be synchronized?

Yet it does.
That is exactly what I use to get my projectors synchronized : AMD Eyefinity / display grouping)
Eyefinity was designed by AMD specifically for super-wide multi-screen gaming : it's the only consumer application that does require to have the screens in sync.

The problem is that the gaming drivers aren't designed to use this mode, they work with the traditional independent screen mode.
I've talked about it to iZ3D, they said they'd provide a solution but with no ETA.

The problem I mentioned previously was that I previously couldn't output at 24Hz when using the Eyefinity / grouped display mode (it used to crash the GPU driver real bad), so I had to display my movies at 60 or 50Hz. Now 24Hz also works.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #370 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hehheh!

Once they are aligned, it's not too bad - but minor adjustments right now require very delicately turning the feet without moving the pj accidentally, and that IS a pain when you mess up

The images will even move a little when the units warm up, so I've learned to just leave them alone till warm, before deciding if they need tweaking. The last few nights have been perfect each time, no adjustment needed, so it bodes well for it being pretty stable once adjusted.

Am now pixel for pixel and watching 2D with the lights on, thanks to the BD II. It's like having a 2400 lumens RS40.

If I tried the dual PJ - I would construct a 3D platform for one to
do MICRO Alignment. As for Temperature - that is like my old
days with CRT - 30 to 60 minutes of warm up.
post #371 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Liked: 10
Blackshark, I see you are using a PC as your video source. Are you able to watch Blu-Ray 3D on it as well? If yes, what software? Till the 3D-XL becomes available, I am hoping to experiment with my PC and BD drive.

Thanks,

Shajan
post #372 of 2269 Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

I cannot watch BluRay 3D on the computer directly on the dual proejctors. I have to re-encode the movie into an other format first. It's quite a lengthy operation but it's the only way.

Basically I have to rip the BluRay to the hard drive, remove the protection, re-encode the MVC encoded movie into a format I can manipulate and then re-encode the video to side-by-side and copy the audio and subtitles over from the raw BluRay3D.
I encode side by side at full resolution (3840x1080 frame) which is exactly the desktop resolution of my grouped-display for the dual projectors. Then I can display this file into any video player I want, I just need to full-screen the picture and it works.

This is very long process that I do with free tools, which are painful to use and some of them are very difficult to use and buggy.
I've done it for Avatar and it was difficult already.
I've seen that DVDFab has just released a new product that allows doing it all automatically. I haven't tested it yet. I grabbed How to train your Dragon, i'll try to have a look at it if there is a trial version.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #373 of 2269 Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Any clues on 2 x JVC RS1 (i.e. DLA-HD1) would work for this setup?

Probably no-one knows this, but I'll ask anyway: any tips on whether Cinescreen-V4 maintains polarization?

Thanks for any info!
post #374 of 2269 Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd View Post

Any clues on 2 x JVC RS1 (i.e. DLA-HD1) would work for this setup?

Probably no-one knows this, but I'll ask anyway: any tips on whether Cinescreen-V4 maintains polarization?

Thanks for any info!

RS1 should work fine. Does 24p just fine, and I *think* the polarization is the same. But you should double check that.

I still have an RS1 at another house, so I can check it next weekend.
post #375 of 2269 Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
RS1 should work fine. Does 24p just fine, and I *think* the polarization is the same. But you should double check that.

I still have an RS1 at another house, so I can check it next weekend.
Thanks for this! There is a DLA-HD1 (= RS1) currently on sale in used times, which is similar (= same colour) to mine, I will try to get it, if this system works with RS1!
post #376 of 2269 Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for this! There is a DLA-HD1 (= RS1) currently on sale in used times, which is similar (= same colour) to mine, I will try to get it, if this system works with RS1!

You can do a quick check of the polarisation in the mean time with a pair of IMAX style linear polarized glasses, or even a pair of polarized sunglasses.

See the first page of the thread for details.

You just want to make sure that the white output doesn't radically change color as you rotate the glasses - that the white output goes through grey to black smoothly as you change the angle.

I'm pretty sure that the RS1 will have all colors polarized together also, but you must confirm this before shelling out for another one, as I haven't tested mine yet.

That caveat aside - dual projector is definitely the way to do 3D. You're going to love it!
post #377 of 2269 Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:

You can do a quick check of the polarisation in the mean time with a pair of IMAX style linear polarized glasses, or even a pair of polarized sunglasses.

See the first page of the thread for details.

You just want to make sure that the white output doesn't radically change color as you rotate the glasses - that the white output goes through grey to black smoothly as you change the angle.

I'm pretty sure that the RS1 will have all colors polarized together also, but you must confirm this before shelling out for another one, as I haven't tested mine yet.

That caveat aside - dual projector is definitely the way to do 3D. You're going to love it!

It seems that none of my sunglasses are polarized, so it would surely be nice if you had the chance to check the matter out!

And yes, this really seems to be the way how to do it!

BTW, what kind of filter-holders are you using - any best practises there to share?

Thanks!
post #378 of 2269 Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It seems that none of my sunglasses are polarized, so it would surely be nice if you had the chance to check the matter out!

And yes, this really seems to be the way how to do it!

BTW, what kind of filter-holders are you using - any best practises there to share?

Thanks!

Will def test it when I'm back there on the weekend.

You'll laugh when you see my "filter holder" It's a pair of strips of tape suspended from an old iPhone box which sits over the fronts of the pjs. Chuckle!
LL
post #379 of 2269 Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll laugh when you see my "filter holder" It's a pair of strips of tape suspended from an old iPhone box which sits over the fronts of the pjs. Chuckle!

You have to be an engineer
post #380 of 2269 Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

you have to be an engineer :d

I think "engineer" is too kind! lol
post #381 of 2269 Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

What do you mean : just an iphone box and some sticky tape ?

It's obviously an iFilter for your iProjectors to display i3D movies of course !

Passive 3D, forever !

post #382 of 2269 Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM

There is a good chance my first filter holders will be made out of legos
post #383 of 2269 Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talk about legos? I always loved the sled for the anamorphic lens that was made out of legos..
post #384 of 2269 Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hope the iPhone 5 box is the same size, otherwise I may have to try that Lego thing! Lol
post #385 of 2269 Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM

I wonder are there any motorized screens that would be ok for 3D and 2D with the size of ca. 110-inches and that would be under the 2000 EUR mark? I think the ones tested by rdjam are quite expensive ones, but are there any affordable ones, which would work ok?
post #386 of 2269 Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I wonder are there any motorized screens that would be ok for 3D and 2D with the size of ca. 110-inches and that would be under the 2000 EUR mark? I think the ones tested by rdjam are quite expensive ones, but are there any affordable ones, which would work ok?
This is one point in favor of the active shutter solutions. My basic modest gain Matte White screen works very well with them.
post #387 of 2269 Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I think the prices I saw on the Harkness screens were actually pretty reasonable. I personally am holding out for the BD 3D for now.
post #388 of 2269 Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I think the prices I saw on the Harkness screens were actually pretty reasonable. I personally am holding out for the BD 3D for now.
I have to investigate the possibility to adding the Harkness Spectral 240 then

I am looking forward for your RS1-results vis a vis polarization for sure. There are a couple of good choices for used RS1 available now and I will then have to secure one, if they work ok!
post #389 of 2269 Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM

A little off topic but is it possible to use a Hauppauge PVR and an HD Fury to capture and record 3D content onto an HTPC?
post #390 of 2269 Old 02-24-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525
A little off topic but is it possible to use a Hauppauge PVR and an HD Fury to capture and record 3D content onto an HTPC?
Don't know. One of the 3D threads might have something.

I am planning to mod an old Motorola cable box with R5000-HD and use it to capture my Comcast 3D channels to an HTPC. It can't show the channels, but it captures the stream to the HTPC as directed by the program guide.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page